2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Ratings: 5,292 | Reviews: 2,353 | Show All Ratings:
MTMugs

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the hops! Looked good, poured nicely and the first taste was great - nice and dry. But it had a funny finish - a little too fruity for our taste. But for a bottled IPA, not too bad.

06-26-2002 05:25:32 | More by MTMugs
DarthMalt

2.25/5  rDev -45%

Ouch! Hop Devil deilivers, as promised. There's definitely a time and place for beers like this. Hopefully, I'll find one or the other, so that my tongue didn't writhe in vain.

"Would you like some malt to go with those hops?"

06-24-2002 11:00:48 | More by DarthMalt
BeerManDan

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

One of my favorites. Great tasting and well balance of hop's and malt's. It has the right balance of sweetness/bitterness. This would be a great beer to introduce to your friends. For the price, very good friends. It was well balanced in a sweet/tartness that I liked. A very complex beer with loads of fruit and flavor!

06-20-2002 19:51:47 | More by BeerManDan
marble

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

About as good as an IPA gets! Not too strong on the alcohol that it takes away from the ale, but a couple of these will do for a night. Victory is a solid brewery.

06-11-2002 17:59:35 | More by marble
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

This is by far one of the best IPA's that I have had. A small head with a cloudy appearance made it great to look at. A nice balance of bitter and sweet made it great to drink.
I wonder if it is this good in the bottle?

06-07-2002 08:53:27 | More by CharlesRiver
IrishRedRock

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

This is THE ultimate session brew. As a hophead, I am in love with this beer. I like the Wallop more overall, but I could drink these for the rest of eternity. The hops are combined perfectly with everything else in this tasty brew. So well balanced. Crisp maltiness, fruity, hoppy, yeah. Smooth initially, and finishes with some killer hops at the end. Looks very nice...a cloudy amber, almost orange. Not the best tasting beer I've ever had, but arguably the best overall beer there is.

05-30-2002 16:19:47 | More by IrishRedRock
jreitman

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I do not consider myself a hop man at all, but this brew was a very pleasant experience. The beer is orange, almost amber in color with a very hoppy nose. While very hoppy and bitter, the beer still had some nice malt sweetness to it which was a pleasant surprise. Fairly complex IMO and I enjoyed every sip. A great beer indeed.

05-27-2002 17:26:56 | More by jreitman
AaronRed

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

I had to try this beer due to it's massive following in BA. I do love hops, so I knew I would love this beer. Almost like a red beer, hops beyond belief that never seemed to let up at any time. However, it was very easy to drink. I was not dissapointed.

05-26-2002 18:55:36 | More by AaronRed
esprit

United States

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Just tried my first Hop Devil and, boy, was I impressed. These guys really know what they're doing and they are a hopheads dream come true. Incredible hop aromas and flavour...enough to satifsy even the most virulent hopead.

05-24-2002 16:28:04 | More by esprit
proc

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

As my beer knowledge grows, I have found that I have gone from a newbie a few years ago who would cringe at the taste of hops to a seasoned pro, who craves a hoppy beer. I compared this to my beloved Bell's Bell's Two Hearted and found it to be just as good, excellent even. Pours out to a beautiful copper, with a slight head. Taste and smell is that of grapfruit and other citrus. The hop taste is fantastic, but doesn't overwhelm the beer. I believe this is due to my palate digging hops, someone who is new to beer would probably make a face. Unlike one of the other reviewers who said they probably could only have one or two, I believe this could be a session quaffer. It went down that easy. I still give Bell's a slight nod over Victory ONLY because Victory isn't available in Michigan and Bell's cloudy, golden give it just a slight appearance grade higher. But, if this beer were available here...it'd be a tie.

A big thanks to pbrian for sending this my way!

05-12-2002 09:14:31 | More by proc
sponberg

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Sampled: 12 oz. bottle, in pint glass. Beautifully coppery color that screams "DRINK ME!!"

Aroma: Intensely florally hoppy. Starts out with a hop hit that would normally have me saying "Uh-oh..." and reaching for a grapefruit knife. But it remains in balance - the Cascade hops just are there, pronounced, throughout the swallow. The background flavors that peek through are bitterness and a rounded caramel maltiness.

If you were to graph the flavor profile of this beer, it'd be a straight line - no switchover between hoppiness and maltiness, bitterness and sweetness. It retains its predominantly floral hop flavor throughout at about the same degree of hop-malt balance. A very nice American IPA.

05-11-2002 21:00:08 | More by sponberg
aracauna

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Rerate 9/14/02: Had some great hoppy beers since this and it's sad to say but I have to drop my rating a bit. Not quite as floral as I remembered. More pine aroma and flavor. Nice appeareance, amber with decent head. Nice sweet malt really balances the hops. Just not the great earth-shattering experience I remember after Terrapin Rye PA and Stone's IPAs.

5/6/02: I have to admit that this beer surprised me. I'm usually kind of iffy on IPAs and other hoppy beers, but I really liked this one. The aroma is very floral/perfumy. The taste is definitely hoppy, but not so bitter as to overwhelm the rest of the flavors in the beer. My fiancee described it as like drinking perfume, and it did have a powerful floral quality to it. I really enjoyed this beer, but I'm not sure if I could drink more than one or two in a sitting.

04-28-2002 18:20:58 | More by aracauna
mickeymac

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Sierra who? I finally got my hands on a sixer of Hop Devil and will be going back for more. The hops are definitely there, but they're not overwhelming. The color and head are more or less typical for an IPA, but the taste is really remarkable. I only wish more places on the west coast stocked it. I'm an instant fan.

04-24-2002 16:02:43 | More by mickeymac
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Holy Hops! Wonderful beer. After a few, I need to change to something else (the hops are very intense!!!), but the first two or three are amazing.

04-24-2002 12:27:06 | More by Jdiddy
Suds

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Forcefully hoppy, but very well balanced. As often as I've had this beer, it always seems to suprise me. I've seen this beer convert many friends into hop-heads. Simply wonderful!

04-20-2002 12:06:43 | More by Suds
Bighuge

Pours a deep copper color with a slight head. Nice pungent/oily/flowery mix in the aroma. This is a decent brew. Pretty solid caramel malt backing. Good hop flavor, but again, I'd prefer more bitterness. Easy drinking for an IPA. There's no signature taste here that really stands out. This is another IPA that everybody else seems to die for and I just think it is plain good, but not great.

04-19-2002 23:13:01 | More by Bighuge
inebrius

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

It seems the folks at Victory have perfected mouthfeel. This brew is muy smooth. Loaded with hops and a rich malt spine, HopDevil is a world class beer.

Cheers to frank4sail for the sample.

04-17-2002 13:10:22 | More by inebrius
ADR

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Clear ruby red amber, great color. Head is small with a trace of of thin foam after 40 seconds, upwelling occasional bubbles. Citrusy sweet aroma. Very nice hop bite, grapefruit including some bitter rind flavors. Malts are clearly in the background. Hops are pronounced but not overbearing, settles to a mild bitterness at the back of the mouth with just a touch of sweetness. Refreshing. Probably my favorite American I.P.A. to date.

04-15-2002 07:45:08 | More by ADR
StevieW

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

The hop devil lives up to the hype. Nice red-amber color, darker than I expected. Very big hoppy nose. Nice easy taste, lingered on the tongue.Big spice flavor, florals, hops, is there cinnamon in there ? It sure tasted like it to me. Strong bitterness at the end wakes you up and demands another taste. A proven winner and worth the wait. I have been trying to get it in Florida for a while.

04-13-2002 17:10:35 | More by StevieW
Erix

Vermont

4.58/5  rDev +12%

The quintessential IPA in my book. Heavy hops create a very spicy, qrapefuity beer. If I had one in hand I could review better, but being at work right now... I have to say the only IPA I've had which I could say for sure was better than HopDevil is cask conditioned hopdevil. The cask conditioning seems to mellow out the hops a decent amount by taking a tiny bit of the bite off, without compromising that awesome spiciness. Works even better at celler temps when cask conditioned than when poured from a bottle.

04-02-2002 15:05:03 | More by Erix
frank4sail

Ya know how redheads are either "hot as hell" or well ya know a "train wreck". Well this is one "hot" devil. Bright bubbles, hypnotic in its bitterness. The aftertaste has addictive overtones of flowers, perfume, and a high heel against the backside. God I love the Devil out of this beauty. Sorry about the description, but this is a top ten beer on the wish list..

03-27-2002 21:12:21 | More by frank4sail
WilliamPhilaPa

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

A very good...and it does live up to it's name HopDevil. Amber color is darker then SN-pale ale, with a bit more bite on the mouth. Very hoppy indeed! The malt is very nice too, its sweetness balancing the hop bitterness. A bit of warming in the belly in the finish. Defines the true American style IPA! Cheers!

03-10-2002 17:19:30 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
mophie

Delaware

This is my favorite IPA. I think the brewmasters at Victory describe it best, and I quote: "Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish." Agreed.

02-09-2002 15:58:26 | More by mophie
pbrian

Connecticut

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Grinning ear-to-ear now that my local carries this. I was expecting an overpowering glass of hops and got a beautifully balanced big IPA. Compares to a SN Celabration but softer with less bite. $7.99/six is gonna set me back some cash over time.

11-23-2001 10:33:45 | More by pbrian
Todd

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz brown bottle with a very cool label ... it's a devil face made out of hop leaves.

Appearance: Hazy orange/copper beer with a patchy cream off-white foam head that clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Very pronounced grapefruit hop aromas, spicy with background sweet malts and a faint bready grain aroma.

Taste: Whoa! This is one bold, dangerous and outrageous beer! Mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and creamy with a malty thick full-body. The initial taste is an absolute hop assualt on the palate! A spicy, stinging and salty plethora of citric nuances literally overwhelm the senses. Earth, leaf and grass flavours pull-thru, then are followed by an alcohol presence and spiciness. The malt in this beer is definately present but gets its ass fiercly kicked by the hops. Malt includes some toasted, slightly bready and light honey flavours with an even malt sweetness. It hardly balances the beer, but does keep it somewhat control. Beer finishes with residual hop spice and malt sweetness, which tends to linger for some time.

Notes: This is a very hyped-up beer, and it should be as it is an absolutely marvelous beer for all the hop-heads out there, albeit very daunting for those who are not into hops to the extreme. For what it is, it's crafted to near perfection. A "Wow!" beer for sure. 6.7 % abv.

11-19-2001 19:47:19 | More by Todd