Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,834 | Reviews: 2,482
4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice amber color with an off white half inch head. Plenty of lacing left behind as I drank the glass down.
From the second I opened the bottle you could smell the pine. A very hop forward smell.
Very balanced taste that left just a slight aftertaste.
Could drink this beer all day as it is very tasty. In my mind this is a perfect IPA.

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

Disappointed. Will not buy again.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Clear orange with a nice thick head.
S - Piney, malty with a little citrus.
T - Taste follows the nose with maybe a little orange.
M - Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.
O - Very drinkable beer. Not over the top like some West Coast IPA's. Very solid, I can see why this is the go-to IPA for some drinkers.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Clean smooth taste. Nice piney hints.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Way too sweet why in the world is the beer rated this high?

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Lovely bright clear amber with two fingers of white head that settle to a film with minor lacing.

Smell: piney and citrus hops

Taste: Fairly traditional American IPA palate with strong caramelly malt sweetness that nearly balances the strong piney lemon tangerine hops. Lingering bitterness on the tongue.

Feel: Light to medium body and smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: A well-crafted traditional IPA. However, the sweetness approaches excessive for my taste, and the hops while good are nothing to rave about. Although it would have stood out on the shelves 10 or 15 years ago, there are enough interesting alternatives out there now that I don't see myself returning to the Hop Devil.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange color. Pale head, off-white/tan. Beer looks filtered.

Very nice bouquet of apricots, orange, peach.

Mouthfeel has some nice richness.

Flavor is solid, foursquare. Hops, mostly. Hint of peaches.

Deep but not intense bitter notes on the finish. Almost cocoa, but not a hint of sweetness.

It's probably my favorite IPA.

Outstanding beer... Full flavor just enough hoppy taste to make it right... World class

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorite victory beers made. Hops are strong and taste amazing.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer makes me very hoppy. The first one I grab at the bottle bar {Fishtown Pa.} after a marathon. One of my faves. I put this ahead of Dirtwolf, nice color and fragrance and flavor. My favorite rating on BA so far.

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

hoppy, bitter...solid IPA but lacks the citrus/ grapefruit aroma and taste that Iike

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

@ an evening with Bill Covaleski of Victory and Vecenie. Hop Devil is good any time.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Good average beer for every day.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As good as it get's when it comes to IPA's!

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everything an IPA should be.
Strong Hop flavor - Citrus, Pine
Smooth drinkability

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Beautiful, clear orange/amber with an unremarkable head.

S: Malty, mostly caramel, almost sour. WTF? I guess I pick up some pine and a little indistinct citrus, but malt seems to dominate the nose.

T: Well-balanced between malt and hops, but flavors pretty much follow the nose and I'm having a difficult time pulling out any nuances. Sweet pine? Over-ripe orange? Dandelion? I just don't know. Lots of caramelly malt, for sure, but I expected something more. Like, maybe this beer could live up to its name? At least it leads and finishes piney bitter, but with a whole lot of caramel in between. The combination, I think, is what makes this smell/taste almost sour. But a strange sour, like dandelion wine.

M: What you'd expect for an IPA and maybe a touch thicker. Carbonation is fine.

O: I've had this beer before and don't recall disliking it. But today? I don't think I'd buy it again. Still, my palate has been all over the place lately, and I generally like Victory beers, especially their pilsner, so maybe I'll write this off as a disappointing aberration from the norm.

Eh. Ok. Bitter but not much else

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh IPA smell and taste. Nice residual aftertaste. A solid, consistent product.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells very hoppy. Really bitter. I could barely taste the hops. More malty than hoppy. It's alright. I still have respect for victory

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Solid. I don't seek it out, but I never turn it down. Maybe it was because Michael Jackson admitted he was a Hop Devil addict, maybe it is because its just that good. I put it right there with SNPA, maybe a little above, maybe closer to Torpedo.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.75] Beer has a nice caramel color. Very minimal head formation. Bottle lists ABV (6.7%) and best by (02/23/15).

S: [3.00] I get sweet notes like caramel. Not what I was expecting for an IPA. Nothing aggressive like pine or citrus.

T: [2.75] The taste is mostly malt. There are no hops present at all. There is a sweet mild caramel flavor. There might be a hint of bubble gum on teh finish.

M: [3.00] The carbonation level is slightly elevated but appropriate. Nothing bitter or lingering.

O: [2.75] I feel like I got jipped. I wanted a nice hoppy IPA for the night and I feel like I got lager. This has none of the characteristics of an IPA. Overall I just feel like this beer could not be more average. Nothing stands out. I might have to seek out a fresh one and re-rate in the future.

My favorite IPA. There is really nothing else to say.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Dark amber color with a light to moderate aroma. Starts off light on the palate, but ends hoppy and slightly heavy. Quite refreshing and undeniable satisfying, especially for an early fall cookout.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company