Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,452 | Hads: 6,968
4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Had it on cask at Sunset in Allston.

Haven't had the bottled version in a while (and liked that quite a bit), but this beer is absolutely fantastic in a cask.

Poured a clear, deep golden orange, with little to no head. The scent was remarkable, hop resins, pine, citric acid, slight alcohol.

Taste was phenomenal. hoppy, but not overdone or out of balance, resinous, slightly astringent, a slight warming from the alcohol. Really, I cannot say enough good things about this.. Medium bodied, smooth, refreshing, a joy.

Drinkability, let's just say they could park my barstool next to the beer engine and I would pour this one all night. Get your ass to Sunset, even if you hate the place, because I don't know of anywhere else in boston to get this amazing beer..I'm getting thirsty just typing about it..

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This was a work of art. The body was a gorgeous, deep dark orange with a monster head that rose and rose. I couldn’t stop staring at the lacing that it left when it finally went down.

Smell – Extremely complex hop profile. I think just about every type of hop must be represented in this ale. There’s also a subtle yet distinct malt balance, but this one is all about the beautiful hop scent.

Taste – The complex aromas found there way into the taste. The hops were very well balanced, and made this one a pleasure to consume. The malt backbone was enough to balance, but this one certainly is all about the hops.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied with a bit of carbonation. The exceptional balance of this ale made it feel terrific in the mouth.

Drinkability – This was a terrific IPA that was exceptionally smooth, tasty, and exciting all at the same time.

Update – I thought I’d revisit my review 10 years later. The incredible mouthfeel stands out to me again. It is so smooth it just disappears from the glass. This one will never grow old.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

This was a pretty good brew. Not my favorite, but pretty good, none the less. It had a nice orange color pushing a well lacing head. The smell was that of flowers. I don't know why, that's what I got. A hoppy taste, but at the same time it was very malty. Kind of its own contradiction. There was more than enough in it to balance things out. It was a good beer. I like it.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good Moogly-Googly! What a beer! Poured an amber-orange color with a beautiful head and good lacing. Very hoppy-floral aroma. Good rich mouthfeel. The taste was complex with a vicious malt vs.
hop battle waging with the ultimate winner being your tastebuds. I don't think I've had a more balanced IPA. Very drinkable, highly recommended and certainly worth seeking out.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a nice orange / amber color, with a thick head. The floral nose is extremely prevelant, with hints of sweetness. Extremely well balanced, the malt and hops dance together on the tongue, producing a crisp bitterness that slowly fades after swallowing. The glass develops nice lacework as the liquid is emptied. Extremely smooth and drinkable. The consistancy of this product over the past few years has been incredible, and this is an IPA others should try to emulate.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle. Freshness date stamped on label.

Deep ruddy amber color. Slight haze. Pours a thick, sticky off-white head that leaves considerable sheets of lacing. Moderate head retention. Just a quick swirl and the aroma tells you that this beer means business. Heavy duty hop nose with sweet floral and pine hints. A slight bready malt scent is detectable as well. Being prepared for a full-on frontal hops assault, I was pleasantly surprised when tasting this beer. The hops are the star of the show here, but they are not at all overwhelming. Not what I would call balanced, but not ridiculously mouth smacking bitter either.

Starts off smooth with a touch of malt before the hops kick in. The hops then give a sharp initial sting, but turn to a more subtle melange of flavors. Citrusy and earthy tastes over a light toasted malt, which surprisingly doesn’t get buried by the hops. The finish is sweet and fruity with a lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel is slightly slick with light carbonation.

This one takes no prisioners and is crafted to damn near perfection. HopDevil is very drinkable and a first rate representation of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Orange gold color. Medium head. Aroma is floral hops and slight malts. A medium bodied IPA. It's also fairly malty for an IPA. Yet the malt sweetness is balanced by the nicely spicy hops. This is not one of those in-your-face West Coast IPA, yet it's still retains that nice IPA character. A very nice smooth balance between the malts and hops. Nice IPA, very drinkable. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Okay, knowing that IPA's are not my favorite style of beer (actually, pretty far from it) and I really don't care for over-the-top hop-bomb brews, I still took it upon myself to give a beer named "HopDevil" a go.
HopDevil poured a livid orangish amber color with a lively apricot-tinged off-white head that endured quite a while and left nice rings of lace.
Smell was pretty much what I expected: citrus and piney hoppiness. However, it wasn't off the chart and had a mild caramel toffee note to counterbalance things.
Taste was surprising for me. I got the expected charge of grapefruit and pine but intermingled was a mild sweet fruitiness and toffee flavor that really made this a hit for me.
Feel was medium-bodied, smooth, and pretty dry.
I found HopDevil to be a pleasant surprise. While distinctly hoppy, Victory did a nice job of keeping things from getting totally out of control. While IPA's may not be my favorite style, HopDevil certainly is a fine contribution. A well crafted beer I'd actually like to get again, preferably on tap if I can find it.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

A creamy head covers the dark amber color of this brew. It smells strong of hops and tastes the same. A bitter brew but not as much as other IPAs. This American IPA is probably one of the best I tasted. It is pretty awesome and my favorite Victory brew. 6.7% is a good amount of alcohol and will surely be enjoyable.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer has a creamy beige head, that helps to show off a nice deep amber color. An aroma of floral hops. Hoppy tasting with notes of lychee, definitely American hops in this one. There is loads of hop flavor in this one, along with a pleasing bitterness. This beer was not as bitter as I was expecting, but it is very well balanced with a subdued maltiness.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Served chilled in a pint glass. Best by date of Jan 2, 2004.

Appearance: Clear copper colored liquid topped by an meager off-white head. Little retention and OK lacing. A little too dark for an IPA.

Smell: A lovely bouquet of hoppiness. Great balance of spruce and grapefruit aromas. Toffee lurks in the background, waiting to greet you.

Taste: Sweet caramel malts in a lovefest with bitter hops. Sharing is indeed caring as they morph quite nicely into each other. Don't all IPA's gots to be hop monstahs!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but not all that filling. Just right.

Drinkability: Great session beer, not so hopped out as to preclude an extended session. Glad this sucker is relatively local and brewed year round.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Really sticky. Caramelly malts. Sweet hoppyness, with a dry hoppy finish??? piney lychee hops (and, yes, sticky), sharp and unbalanced hoppyness, i can't believe how boring it ended up being, considering the amount of flavour in it. Lots of flavour though, pretty tasty.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one smooth IPA! In general I'm not a huge fan of the style. I find most-especially domestic IPA's to be simply too overdone. This offering however is real easy to like. From the moment the beer hits the glass it impresses. deep burnt orange/copper in color, the beer sports a mouth wateringly attractive creamy,beige head. Aromas while certainly hoppy are balanced nicely by an almost sweet, malty biscuit component. Flavors are as well hoppy, yet again the bitterness is counterbalanced by a toasty, delicious roasted, maltiness. Especially nice is this beers mouthfeel-lovely, round, full bodied, and very creamy in texture. This is a stand out beverage even for those who don't go crazy for the style. By the way, the finish on this beer lasts a good solid minute!!!

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

My 50th review. On tap at Cambridge Common. This is one hell of a beer.
Appearance: Nice copper color, with a creamy head that follows the sides of the glass all the way down, stays around to mock me.
Smell: Hops, citrus hops, grapefruit hops. Did I mention hops..?
Taste: Holy damn. This beer is trying to kick my ass. Intense hop juice flavors, but the malt makes this a full-bodied beer, they try to show their presence, but get thoroughly schooled by the hops. Some field green flavors, but dominated by the sweet hops.
Mouthfeel: Full and satisfying.
Drinkability: I can't take much more of this.
Very appropriately named beer. An amazing offering if you love hops. I'm slowly coming around.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

I think this is my favorite way to enjoy HopDevil. I had it up at Zeno's in State College, PA. The lack of carbonation makes this particular devil particularly smooth and definately TOO easy to imbibe. Excellent hoppy beer. Lots of american hops, citrusy etc. But the malt profile of this beer is also remarkable. A very complex malt flavor that adds to this beers overall pleasantness.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Pours a darkish, kind of burnt amber color with a small off-white head.

Smell: Hops. Period. It smells like you’re holding a wonderful bouquet of liquid hops.

Taste: Smoothly bitter with a hoppy finish that blooms on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, creamy with a light fizz.

Drinkability: I have a hard time answering this one. HopDevil is a great beer, but almost overwhelming. I don’t know if I could see myself pounding down a bunch of them.

Comments: This is my kind of IPA. I love Hops, and the Devil delivers! I wish they brewed this stuff when I lived in Philly. Thankfully, it’s findable out here in Oregon. I plan to keep a few bottles in my stash.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Similar to my review of this beer from the bottle. The major difference is in the aroma, which blooms here to even higher heights.

I promise you, you could smell this beer from across the bar room.

Pair it with some savory food -- preferably something greasy. You won't be disappointed.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Had to review again to once again be in amazement of this beer. It is so straightforward and simply put together, yet produces an amazing array of tastes and textures. No sugars or spices, no special fermentations, just excellent rich malts flavored with the whole flower hops. Sometimes this beer comes on like an IPA, sometimes like an Alt, with a little bit of Stout thrown in for good measure. At about a buck a beer from most PA distributors, this most reviewed of beers proves that even though it is not number 1, you give up nothing for being the most popular.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

I tried the Hopdevil on draft tonight, after having had it bottled before; I must say it's quite different on draft. Color is a nice deep orange, with a little tan head. The hop aroma didn't seem quite as aggressive as the bottled version, but is very present, along with a nice malt and bready balance. Blended into the aroma are hints of pine and citrus, but well subdued. Taste is very hoppy, but not unbalanced, reasonably sweet with a hint of oak and piney goodness. The malt is more noticeable than the bottled version as well, making the draft a well rounded brew. Goes down very smooth with a sweet, slight hop-bittterness left on the back of the tongue.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer came highly recommended and it is definantly a good brew! It poured a dark copper color with a good slightly off white head that left a good lace down to the end of the glass. The smell was of hops, spice, and a hint of grapefruit I believe. The taste was not as dry as I was expecting, but it was still excelent. The hops hit in the very beginning but then they were taken over by the wonderful spicy taste. Very unique. The mouthfeel was very smoothe and the beer went down very nicely. Although I do not think this stands up to the likes of the Stone IPA, this is a very very good beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Beer pours a nice bronze with an off-white head. Very attractive beer here!

Nice aroma. Big dose of hop goodness. Also get an underlying grapefruit type smell.

Beer has a bracing hop bite. Bitter in the best possible way. Clear use of quality ingredients. This is a big hop beer and I think could use a little more malt for some balance. This is not a huge complaint as this beer is very good.

Drinkabilty is decent, but suffers slightly from the lack of balance. Nice carbonation and mouthfeell, just right for style.

I like this beer, but it is not for someone who does not embrace the hop loving culture of these big beers. I will buy this one again!

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: This was an amber-red beer with a very heavy bead. A light-tan, three-finger head rose up on the pour. It was kind of rocky and settled down slowly, leaving a ton of sticky lace on the glass. A thin cap of foam remained the entire time, though that wasn't very long with this beer. :-)

Smell: The aroma was nicely balanced, being a wonderful combination of herbal hops and sweet malt. I was really expecting the hops to dominate. While it was very prominent, it was not overwhelming. A few other lighter aromas were also present, such as grass, caramel, and a spice that I couldn't quite put my finger on. As the beer warmed up, a bready, roasted malt smell really developed.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a lot of bite. Not as smooth as I would have liked it to have been.

Taste: Upfront, there was a good dose of sweet malt and caramel, with just a hint of roasted malt. Then, after I had a little time to enjoy that, a large does of hops kicked in that totally dominated the flavor. It was kind of spicy, but mostly herbal, taking on an almost menthol-like quality in the aftertaste. I could almost feel it in my sinuses, like the way you feel horseradish in your nose when you eat it. This is not to say that the hops was too strong (yeah, like that's possible), but it definitely made its presence known. Also on the aftertaste was light, buttery sweetness.

This was a great beer. I am glad that I finally got the chance to give it a try.

Thanks Jarod!

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

I went to the horse's mouth for this one. Straight from the tap at the brewery. Its just a great IPA, nothing fancy, nothing too crazy. It looks like an IPA, light in color and citrusy in smell. It is very crisp and has a bit of a bite on your tongue. What it isn't is one of those watery IPA's that is lacking the hopitude to make it true. Its great from a bottle as well. My advice is to go to the brewery and get a growler, they have the old fashioned metal handle ones!!

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Served a little warmer than I intended, but here goes.

This poured with a nice thick head, very firm, and tiny bubbles. Head was somewhere between off-white and tan. The beer itself is a nice copper color, more reddish toward the center, and a nice amber around the edges. The lace persists throughout the drink, but loses strength toward the end. It is primarily a very fine bubble lace, with some deposits to the sides. The aroma is all hops as far as I can tell, with no hint of malts coming through. It is slightly spicy, but it took me awhile to notice that. As the beer warms, I am beginning to get a faint hint of some malts, but nothing distinct.

The first taste is primarily the sweeter hops, although even up front a but of the bittering comes through. Not at all unpleasant though. The middle has some malt flavoring, mainly caramel, with maybe a slight grassy hint to the brew as well. The finish, as one might expect, is thoroughly dominated by the bitter hops, and the flavor lingers like a girl-friend that won't go away... but in a good way. Overall, this is very well balanced, albeit toward the hops. But then, you knew that was coming. The presence of some malt renders this a very, very drinkable beer.

Can't complain to much about drikability or mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate, and helps to keep from feeling as though the mouth has been coated in hop oil. The higher alcohol means that this isn't to be fooled with, but it can be consumed enjoyably in quantity.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally, an IPA. Sure can't find any here in Russia, so jumped at the chance when friends offered to bring some from the U.S. HopDevil and I are old friends who haven't had the pleasure of each other's company for quite a while. This bottle advised me to enjoy its contents by 11/20/03. No danger of waiting that long. It was empty before 8/17/03.

Poured a gorgeous clear dark copper hue with a medium sized tan head that lingered a bit and held some contour. It also produced some lace, but not enough for my taste. The nose was perfect: beautifully flowery, with hops hitting every corner of each nostril. This nose perfectly telegraphed the coming taste. The mouth was light and prickly, with the flowery sweetness one expects from this much hops. The taste starts sweetish, flowery and hoppy. Then the hops really kick in - almost chewy with grain, leaving a very nice, strong but not agressive bitterness. The aftertaste maintained this flowery bitterness at the back of the jaw and the top of the throat. Smooth, refreshing and wonderful.

I shared the bottle with my brother-in-law from Kazakhstan. He'd never had an IPA before, nor anything else that could even remotely be described as hoppy. His comment: "this is what beer should taste like." Amen.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company