Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros

Hopdevil pours to be a hazy amber/orange color. It has a nice medium sized head to begin with but it slowly recedes to a smaller stable head. The lacing along the sides of the glass also make this beer look appetizing. When agitated the lacing becomes thicker and the rest of the head gains a little size to. Basically ddead retention isn't spectacular.

The aroma of this beer can be described as flowery. These aromas and other hop aromas are easily detected. I also noticed that this IPA doesn't smell quite the same as the others that I've had, just something different about it. It could be that it lacks the strong citrus aroma that is apparent in so many others.

The taste of this beer is strongly influenced by hops, the flowery aroma obviously comes from the flowery taste of this beer. It is a fairly bitter beer and is mainly hop influenced. However, I do taste a roasted barley/grain flavor in the aftertaste. This is a good beer and definitely above average, but I prefer Sone or SNCA over this one.

This beer has a medium body and goes down pretty smooth. The carbonation seems high at first when it is felt on the front of the tongue, but as it sits in the mouth longer and when swallowed the perceptable level of carbonation considerably drops. This beer is good and I would buy it agian but I prefer Stone and SNCA when it comes to IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Well I have had this beer beyond times to count. It is an ever present companion in my beer travels.

Head amber with a white cap that laces the whole glass. The smell is of strong citrus, spicy, fruity, and bitter hops all well backed up by the malt. The taste is very powerful an intense bitter flooding out to tasty bready malt laced with powerful pine and citrus hops that leave a twang of sweetness. Very well body and damn drinkable for such a powerful beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

The is a very bold beer, to be adored, praised, (worshiped? - maybe ,maybe not) by all the Hop Heads out there. I, however, am not one of those people. I have never been a big fan of the Alpha Acidy, green bitter, super hoppy flavor. As a BA advocating beer, of all styles, I realize I need to broaden my horizons to include IPAs as well as Stouts etc. So I am evaluating this beer based on a combination of personal taste and what the style is supposed to be.

Appearance: Poured (appropriately) into my Victory pint glass; it pours an amber/copper with a 2 finger tight white head.

Smell: Citrus, hops, a slightly soapy characteristic, then a nice sweet malty base.

Taste: The spiciness I like. It is incredibly hoppy and green. I think that is exactly what this beer is going for though. Underneath all that bitterness is a small nice sweetness in a malt base. I like the alcohol peeping through. (like a spiced grass tea, in vodka) Very dry bitey aftertaste. The aftertaste is so pronounced, that 5 minutes later you can still feel the hops on you tongue and 10 minutes later you still taste hops in the back of your throat. I guess that’s a good thing if you love the flavor of hops on your tongue, so I am giving this a 3.5 for taste. If you are not a fan of the burn-y, prickly, sudsy hop flavor then; well... that’s obvious ... don't drink a beer called 'Hop' Devil.

Mouthfeel: Working very hard, I could almost get past the biting hops to notice the nice smooth medium body mouthfeel. I really did not gain much in the experience from the mouthfeel though because I wanted to get the stuff swallowed and off my aching tongue as quickly as possible. Oh yeah, being open minded about hoppy beers, forgot. Anyway a nice mouthfeel - 4.0

Drinkability: Knowing that I am not a huge personal fan of this style I am trying to be generous, but I certainly would not want more than one of these. A bit of sharp cheddar cheese along with the beer made this a just barely enjoyable (that’s a positive) way to consume 6.7 % ABV of alcohol. Clearly, this is a beer made for the Hop Heads. Enjoy.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

---
I have been broadening my horizons and expanding my palate into the world of hops in the last several moths. I have come back to this beer and now find what used to be overwhelming, quite refreshing. Maybe I should start over again but I have found that now I really like Hop Devil.
---

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Nice pour, plenty of offwhite head that had some staying power.

Aroma: definitely some solid hop smells here, but I'm actually more struck by how well you can smell the malts. Very bready, this much malt smell means it's gonna be strong.

Taste: Hops are more pronounced here, but the malts are also quite strong, a nice balance. Bitterness comes through late in the sip and that's nice too.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick, about as I expected after that big malt smell.

Drinkability: just fine. Low score mostly related to my own tendency to stop after 1 extremely hoppy beer. It's a good one, though.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Draft Pours brown like ice tea with a good head. Aroma is of grapefruit and orange. Flavor is a good mix of hops and malts. A nice after taste. A very good beer. This is a strong beer. Don't have to many or you might mot be able to get up. I am local to Victory and love there stuff. This is my favorite.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer pours a reddish amber color with a slight fluffy head that does not last long. Smells of spicy and powerful citrus hops. This beer really hits the nostrils and the senses. Taste is quite strong in the hop department. Very spicy beer that finishes a little dry. Malts are complex and add a good balance too this beer. It is hoppy but still very drinkable. The texture is smooth and full bodied. Very tasty beer and a great IPA.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

What a good beer. I wish i could pick this one up locally, but its just not the case around here. Got this in houston.

Pours out a rich ruby red and rusty orange. appears hazy because it is not transparent, however its hard for me to say it is hazy... just looks very potent. Slight orangish head, about an inch. ring stays around the glass through the whole beer. good lacing too.

Smell is good. I get a sweetness initially with the hops. its a natural sweetness like honey.

Taste is quite impressive. This is not one i could drink everyday though because it just seems too much. It has a very raw taste to it. A very earthy hoppy flavor, and very bitter. I get some sweetness like powder sugar. some alcohol bite comes out at the end.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy for a beer i think taste so raw. Medium carbonation. Chewy too. I am actually moving my jaw as if i am eating this beer.

Overall a great beer, but not one i could drink all night or everyday, but thats just me. But it is quite a treat and a great one to change things up when you want to get a little festive.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A: A deep ruby amber, somewhat cloudy, 1/4" inch head with a slow pour. The head recedes to a foamy film that last until the glass is empty.
S: citrus fruits and hops
T: This beer bites you at the beginning and has a touch of malty sweetness at the end. The hops stay in your mouth a long time after the beer has made it's way down your esophogus(sp?).
M: Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.
D: very drinkable if you like the style.
This is one of my favorite beers regardless of style. I simply can't get enough of HopDevil.

1.8/5  rDev -55.8%

ok well i will be the first to tell you im not a big ipa fan but i pulled this at mystery beer so i drank it at mystery beer. it started off ok it looked like a good beer it smelled like a ok beer and then all hell broke loose it taste verry verry hoppy not my style at all more hoppy then any other ipa ive had which ads to the mouth feel of a thousand razorblades slicing my tonge i think i would rather drink corona than this cheap gypsy swill again

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Wonderful white foamy head atop a dark amber body. It had exceptional retention and mild carbonation.
It smelled very sweet and very floral.
The taste what what you would expect from an IPA, somewhat malty and sweet, with extreme hoppiness. It had a good mouthfeel, and finished very sweet and crisp, almost refreshing. I am a fan of this beer but I wouldn't say it was one of the best IPA styles I've ever had.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Probably one of the better American IPAs I have had lately...only a little under hopped. It is a copper colored beer with a light colored long standing head. The beer smells awesome. It has a great sweet, piney, western hop smell to it. However, when I taste into the beer it is just not as strong a hop. The malts kick up on it. It brings a lot of balance to the beer, it is very tasty and sweet, but thats not really what I want in an IPA. Hops...thats what I want. The mouthfeel is good. Light to medium and clean. A great beer to sit around drinking. Just not exactly what I would expect from something called "hopdevil".

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Now that a local bar(The Happy Gnome)serves Victory Hop Devil on draft, I finally get a chance to review this quintessential American IPA. The color is a pleasing dark amber. The head disappears quickly, but there is ample lacing on the glass. The fact that I was in a smoke-filled bar probably accounts for the minimal smell of this beer. The taste on the other hand is instantly memorable. There is an intense hop burst up front, combined with a citrussy piney flavor, which is balanced by a notable malt undertone. THIS is what an IPA should taste like! The mouthfeel is rich, but refreshing. This is an amazing beer.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours burnt orange with a semi-hazy body. The head never came on strong and was left to a thin film. Aroma was very resinous and filled with pine-like hoppiness. Not as full as I was hoping for. The taste came on very floral and finished with a rough hop bitterness. The hops are very concentrated in the center of the mouth and finish through decently. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied. The hops give way to a small amount of maltiness that comes through as it warms up. I have had much better and much worse IPAs. This is a great example of the style, but not world class to me. I feel as though there could be more complexity to this one.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving is from a bottle marked enjoy by Aug 26, 2005. Well three months later its stilld great

A - A beautiful amber color with about a one inch off white head

S - A very sweet smell with no overwhelming hops

T - Taste is incredible sweet hops and maltiness that is amazing.

M - A smooth beer with a tad of carbonation at first.

D - I love this IPA, I could sit a drink a six pack while working around the house or cooking a batch of chili as I am right now. The hops are there but not overwhelmingly. I can't wait for my chili to be done to pair the two.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - A cloudy copper color with a nice one finger off white foam head.

S - Good grapefruity hop aroma on the nose. Not a hop bomb by any means but a nice aroma for an IPA.

T - A nice bold flavor on the first sip. A bit of a malty taste lingers behind a nice hop rush. A bit of a sweet breadiness there too with the hops leading the way. Some spiciness at the end.

M - No complaints here. A nice smooth feel in the mouth.

D - I've always loved this one. Def keeps you coming back for more.

Notes: This was my first IPA shortly before I discovered BA and it really got me going into the craft beer movement. Def a good one both for experienced IPA drinkers who dont want the complete hop assault of a DIPA, as well as those new to the style. Excellent work by Victory, as always.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an orange/amber color with about a one finger head.

Smell: The first thing that assaults the nose is hops. There is a definite citrus smell. There is also a malt smell that is present.

Taste: The first taste, like the smell, is hops. The hops present a citrus flavor until the finish when there is a slight presence of malt. The hops defiantly over power any malt that is present. As the beer warms I am also picking out spiciness and a slight grassy taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel with a slight creamy feeling with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a sitting.

This is my second beer from the Victory Brewing Company and I am very impressed. I think that this is a solid IPA and I will definitely enjoy it in the future.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

I was so excited to finally see this beer on shelves near me. I have been keeping an eye out for it for quite a while and just randomly happened to notice it today. I can't get enough hops so a name like 'hopdevil' caught my attention the first time I heard about it. Upon cracking the bottle, I could immediatly smell what else, but hops. Hops and some citrus. It looked great in my glass; it poured a nice hazy amber color which is exactly how I like an IPA to look. First taste was great, a little malty taste for the first instant but then HOPS. A truly awesome beer, the type of IPA I have been looking for. I think I might have a few more after this one as I find it to be highly drinkable (although I can see how lesser fans of hops might not) but I think I'll save a few because they were pretty expensive at $8.69.
A great beer. If you like hops and well balanced but complex IPA's, pick this up!

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried Victory's Hop Devil on cask at their brewpub in Downingtown, PA.
Pours a nice hazy orange/copper. Nice foamy head, but not too big.
Aroma is very citrussy, piney hops and a hint of sweet maltiness.
Very complex taste. Excellent balance of hops and malt obviously leaning towards the hop side.
The beer is very drinkable but you definitely have to be a hophead to handle more than a few.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

pours a somewhat hazy dark amber color with good white foam.

smells like sweet malts and big hops. seems great so far.

taste is quite balanced at first but falls into a heavy hop aftertaste. sweet malts upfront, a little bit fruity at first but then into a nice hop kick. alcohol is quite present. it's damn good.

mouthfeel probably couldn't be better. very pleasant. typical nice balanced IPA. not too heavy not too light. good balance like i said. a great brew.

Pours a golden/amber color, nice carbonation, small thin head, some nice lacing afterwards. Scents of hops, malt, citrus, and caramel. The taste is very hoppy with a little bit of a malt taste, has a very nice bite at the end. Medium body. This is a very nice IPA from Victory, do they make anything bad, lol. Very drinkable at the ABV, very hoppy, highly recommended.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Nice deep amber color, good clarity, decent head. Very spicy,pungent hop aroma emanates from my warming pint glass of Hop Devil. Obviously this is a highly hopped IPA. Malt flavors are light and the beer is quite dry. Hops dominate, very spicy and herbal. Mild pine flavors as well. Best part of this beer is the deep and complex hop aroma. However, this is nothing to write home about. Overall an average IPA that happens to be highly hopped. Victory is a great brewery and I think their pils is the best in the world. There is no way this beer should be rated higher than the pils. Anyone can make a decent and hoppy IPA. Definately worth a try for the complex hop aroma and flavor, but also try the pils.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

A mild copper color with a nice thick head that stays for quite a while. I detected aromas of hops, grass, citrus, and caramel; very appealing. The taste is suprisingly smooth and well balanced with a significant sugar flavor for this style. The alcohol is well concealed and hops seem to stay strong until the very last sip. The only thing I had a problem with was the aftertaste; a bit too bready and potent. An excellent beer with loads of character and flavor. Another great beer from Victory! Excellent drinkabilty

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance is a nice thick copper color with an awesome tan-colored head created with a vigorous pour. This one smells delicious. I've spent so much time whiffing this one that I almost forgot I was supposed to drink it. An absolutely gordgeous smelling brew.

A nice bold citrus taste. Reminds me of grapefruit and oranges, maybe grapefruit peelings. Good smoothness considering the level of tart citrus hops. I also notice some sort of spices but cant figure out exactly what. Overall it tastes good. Hearty, and smooth for the style.

The mouthfeel is probably a little over medium-bodied, but not heavy. Quite a drinkable beer as well. I really wish I had more than just one.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Well, tonight has been a Victory night as this is my second of their line for the evening.

A solid coppery honey with orange hues graces my pint glass with a finger of very light tan head. The bouquet was of citrus ending on toast bread. A bit sublte for me. I like a bit more punch.

A nice citrus grapefruit graces your tongue with some notes of grain and biscuit, possibly malt... a decent balance but leaning a bit more to the malts than i normally desire, but doesnt detradct from it. I liked this IPA and it's a good brew which i reccommend. Good body and carbonation.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Once again got this guy from Brawley's in Charlotte.

A. Pours a copper/ amber like color with an off white head that had good retention and some lacing.

S. Smells of hops, but not and over powering flowery smell like some IPA's.

M. To me its a meduim bodied beer.

T. Very good IPA, the taste of the hops were there, but the malt balances it out very well. ALmost a nutty taste in there. I am a hop head, but this was a very good tasteing beer that like i said balances out nice at the end.

O. Very drinkable, could knock back a couple of these in a session.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company