Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,446 | Hads: 6,928
3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Visual: One finger loosely packed head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful clear amber color that absolutely glows when you hold it up to the light.

Aroma: Grapefruit, apricot, and I also get a little hint of the smell that most Belgian beers have (not sure what it is called). I’m picking up a hint of bready malt in there as well. Not bad, but not knocking me over with hop aroma either.

Taste: More malt on the front end than what I expected. And really, I don’t pick up very much hops until the finish which comes in with a thin yet harsh wave of bitter. I feel like there is something there that plays to the middle sides of the tongue, however every time I roll it over the sides, it immediately starts to fizz up which distracts from the taste. By the way I pick up a Black Tea aftertaste on the exhale.

Mouth Feel: If I keep this beer running straight down the center of my palette then it feels good, reasonably wet and the taste is just … plain. If I roll it around it fizzes up something terrible and goes really dry; yes more tastes come out but they are overshadowed by the fizziness.

Drink-ability: I could try to extract out and find as much flavor as possible and end up completely disappointed because I can’t get the beer to hit on all cylinders. Either it goes fizzy and dry but tries to present its flavor, or it goes down quick and smooth with only average flavor… certainly nothing impressive enough to live up to its name and label.

Impressions: I’m just not impressed. I think this beer is unbalanced to a point where it can’t live up to its potential. As far as I’m concerned, I have to believe this is a work in progress, and that the brewers are still perfecting the formula. The hops are definitely in there, but they constantly have to fight to be noticed. Yes I would buy it again. Yes I would enjoy it. But I still think something is keeping this beer from living up to its true potential. Maybe it was nearing its end of life... it only has two more days left on its Best By date. (2,033 characters)

A- amber colored with inch thick and bubbly off white head, head quickly settles leaving moderate lacing.

S- i get a nice semi-sweet balance of citrus and hops and bready malts, lingering earthy tones.

T- follows the nose, very well balanced taste initially it's slightly sweet and sour from the combination of the citrus and piney hops, very malty for the style but it helps give it a nice finish.

M- medium to full bodied, thicker than i expected probably due to those bready malts, light carbonation, pleasant aftertaste.

O- very nice IPA, better than what i expected, the citrus and piney hops balance out nice with the bready malts, and those earthy tones make it different, better than most entry level IPAs. (718 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer had a great hoppy flavour, but not too hoppy. It had a great golden brown color, like an ale. It had good mouth feel and a good smell. It had a pleasent aftertaste. If you like a hoppy beer, this could be your beer. Enjoyed this beer on tap in Rochester (263 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

At first I wanted to say this beer was amber, but it's much a much deeper, darker red. It had a beautiful head with very tiny bubbles, making it look almost like cream. It laced all the way down the slides while drinking and was still there for my last sip. When I was done, the bottom of the glass looked like a doily. Pretty. But then again, by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, everything was looking pretty.

I immediately smelled burnt caramel, like charred smores. My favorite kind. I also noted some hints of citrus, namely lemon, which must have been the hops kicking in. At first taste, it was fresh and crisp. Then I was almost chewing on the malt, even though there was no sediment whatsoever. Finally, just the right amount of tongue-scooting bitterness finished the palate. There were, however, a few sour notes every few sips. This IPA was delicious, drinkable to the last drop and will be hard to beat. (928 characters)

Great beer, good looking and pours while.

Certainly lives up to it's name. Tons of Hop taste. It has some bite, but you forget that by the time you take another sip.

Head lace lines after every sip.

Great and I think I do taste some pine in there like other tasters have noticed. It's not bad, just noticable.

Worth a try. (329 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Looks very good. A beautiful amber color with a tall head.

Smells like an IPA. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Slightly sweet.

Tastes like it smells. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Some herbal "spiciness".

Feels slightly foamy/fluffy. Medium bodied but on the lighter side.

A good and easy going IPA. (333 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: poured into my yuengling beer glass, and it is a nice caramel color. Had a head, but I let it warm up a little (so I could taste even more hops), and the head is gone now.

Smell: pleasing. Slight smell of hops, which does not act as false advertising.

Taste: a delightful, balanced flavor of hops and malt. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor of hops (see Stegmaier IPA), but the hops presence is definitely there, even to my sometimes shoddy tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: not a light beer, I probably wouldn't want to enjoy this outside on a hot summer day, but it's a good beer to drink here in my apartment.

Overall: Stan recommends. (647 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone. (307 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless (238 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For some crazy reason, I always thought Hop Devil was similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had the opportunity to pour them side by side today, and while there are similarities, Hop Devil is superior in every facet. Out of bottles today, but if you ever have a chance to try Hop Devil Nitro, don't pass it up. (310 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appears medium amber with nice laced head on it. Smells malty and sweet with pine notes; malt aroma takes the hops. Observable alcohol taste but not too overpowering; hits you while swallowing the beer. Carmel and syrupy tasting, lingers in the mouth in a pleasing way. Would not describe as a "heavy hitting" IPA but has a alcohol presence. If you like malt-forward IPAs I would recommend. Wish I could have had this from a tap fresh! (435 characters)

I liked this one. Nice deep copper color. Nice head and great hoppy smell. The hoppy fragrance got me. I first had this on tap in Harrisburg, PA and just found it here. Not my favorite IPA but my selection of IPA's here in VA is somewhat limited. This is one of the better ones available to us. I'll definitely buy it again. (324 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer. (702 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, N.J.
As were some other reviewers, I was very surprised at how well-balanced this beer was. It reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a good thing. Probably a bit hoppier than SNCA, but the hops are not overwhelming as I feared. Drinkability quite high. I would definitely buy this beer if I could find it anywhere in my area. (388 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Label - I have to say it is my all time favorite , I love the picture of the HOP with the eyes, Love the flame colors behind the Devil. This beer to date has been nearly my all time favorite, and ironically, the first time I had it I had no idea how good it was. This beer (at this time) is my (largely unqualified) bench mark for IPAs

A - The is a great looking beer. Dark red bronze look to it. Big head upon pour, nice lacing. Ive swirled this one a few times.

S - Smells like hops as it should

T - Hoppy, some sweetness to it. You taste the booze on almost every swig. I have a great respect for this brew. It was actually the beer that moved me to the APAs and the IPAs.

M - Full , Creamy- but not overdone

D - Clearly a session beer, Ive proved it many times. I think this is a quality beer

Last point - I had this beer at the pub the night of the 10 year anniversary. Nothing like the bottle. I need to get there again to verify my suspicion that this beer is better in the bottle. (997 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions. (340 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Slightly hazy but beautiful copper/amber color. The head was an off white color and not very thick, fizzled away into a ring that left very little lacing.

Smell: Strong hops smell, very citrusy. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Just as it smelled it has a strong hops flavor with some spice. Very well balanced.

Mouth feel: Very smooth and clear, not gritty or overly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is a terrific beer and easily sessionable. I will be adding HopDevil to my line up of favorite brews. (512 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing! (566 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Small, thin, off white head that retreated quickly. Great deep copper color.

As with most IPAs, citrusy and piney notes prevail...very pleasant.

Taste was exceptional! Huge caramel malt backbone that is quickly balanced with bitterness from the hops. Long, dry finish with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a little chewy. Mediocre carbonation but not bad.

I would have more than one of these in a row. Very satisfying and the somewhat high ABV is well disguised by the thick malty character and the high hop presence. (576 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass into a large pilsner glass, this beer comes out dark brown and smooth, with 2-finger head that stays for a while.

Aroma: Enticing, hoppy aroma, albeit rather weak.

Taste: Can taste some malts, but they are far overpowered by the hops, which are very tasty and a bit spicy, but not overwhelming or overly bitter. Leaves a hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly carbonated, bitter tang. A nice mouthfeel is one of my favorite aspects of IPA's and other hoppy craft beers. This one does not have the best of all IPA's but holds its own.

Victory HopDevil is an excellent IPA that I would recommend as a must-drink for any hophead, and you'll want to drink it several times again. While being a great example of a hoppy beer, it is not overwhelmingly bitter, and I would even recommend it to one hoping to be introduced to the wonderful world of hops. (880 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

A lot of IPA's try to distinguish themselves, Don't expect this one to stray from the good 'ole harsh bitterness and ever lasting hop aroma. Good beer for a dry mouth on either a cool night or an afternoon of football. Not as drinkable as some IPA's but the Hopdevil definitely doesn't disappoint the hop heads. (311 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a single bottle as a part of a "make your own 6-pack". Honestly its a lot different than I was expecting. Big, bold flavor with very little bitterness, pretty spicy, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for,
The 6.7% ABV is hidden well, but it just tasted to me like a "dark" beer, not so much your standard IPA.

Overall not bad, but not something I would rush out to buy again, especially not if I was in the mood for an IPA. Definitely wouldn't mind paying $3.50 for a pint though at a bar. (497 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

I am yet to have a product from Victory that I didn't like--at least to some degree. The Hop Devil Ale is certainly no exception. Although the hops were a little subtle and less pronounced than I would have liked; I would definitely recommend this beer to friends. It is also attractively priced.

It had an excellent pour and very good head retention. The mouth feel and drinkability were also right on par. The alcohol level and purchase price make this a beer that can be enjoyed regularly and in large quantities.

The hop rate however is where this brew stumbles a bit. With a name like Hop Devil, I expected it to be aggressively hopped and to have a profound hop presence; this is where this beer fell a little short.

All things considered, this is a fine beer, and I would without doubt recommend this to fellow enthusiasts. (835 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This was the beer that turned me on to American craft beer. When I had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC the other night I realized it was finally time to review it.

Served in a pint glass through which I could see the clarity and copper color of this beer.

The aroma is all hops - citrus & maybe a little piney - but it's not overwhelming. In my opinion, it's enticing.

From the first sip to the last, it's all citrus & pine hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. This is the beer that introduced me to hops and when I first had it years ago, I thought there was no way anyone could get more hops in a beer. Now I realize how there's actually some balance in there. Each sip left a slight hop bitterness that lasted until the next one.

I still like this beer as much as I did the first time I had it - maybe more. Victory, in typical fashion, did a great job with this one. (898 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/4 a finger of head, I must admit it was a weak pour so I fault myself for that. Receded quickly but left some nice lacing down the glass. A darker amber color, one of the darkest IPAs I've seen.

Smell: Hops in the forefront, nothing too special. I smell some strong and sweet caramel malt, more than I like in my IPAs.

Taste: Again, nothing too special. This is tasty beer but nothing stands out to me, some light citrus hop flavors up front. The caramel malt is too strong for my liking here, a little sweet on the aftertaste.

Overall: A solid IPA but frankly, I expected more. I understand this is a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like such a strong malt presence in IPAs. I also have some Hop Wallop I'm waiting to try, I hope the malt there is more toned down than this. (851 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company