Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,451 | Hads: 6,965
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance is a nice burnt orange with a decent light tan head. A little cloudy.

Smell is malty sweet. A little citrus and hops. Kinda weak.

Taste is similar to smell. A bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. Viscosity is appropriate. Carbonation is aggressive but bubbles are small.

This is a pretty easy drinker except for the bitter finish.

I must say that this is not the kind of IPA I am used to. A bit maltier. Not as citrusy/piney as I would like. The hops don't seem to show up except for bitterness. At the same time, this is a pretty easy drinker. Solid, easy, but not great.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Victory Brewing Company does not come out to my neck of the woods (Arizona) so during my recent trip to New York; I kept an eye out for it having heard great reviews from friends. I stopped by Barcade in Brooklyn where they had it casked. A deep ruby, colored somewhere in between a Brown ale and a Red. The aroma was very hop-rich, with subtle hints of sweetness. By smell alone you could definitely tell that it had been casked. Upon the first sip the hop pronunciation and earthy cask flavor were very bold, yet well balanced on the tongue. A loosely carbonated and moderately malty mouthfeel kept the hop flavors rolling across the tongue until the slight fruity and sweet finish. All in all a very impressive beer.

3.51/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Dark amber color, almost redish. My pour had a half finger head that stayed throughout the glass.

S - I am getting a strong grapefruit, faint caramel and faint roasty smell.

T - Big hop flavor. Not over powering and quite smooth. Nice and dry finish.

M - Medium body, creamy feel. Slight alcohol sting after swallowing.

D - Midway through this beer I got the warm feeling. I could drink a few of these but then I would be intoxicated.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

This is for the version of HopDevil that was on cask at Victory.

Appearance: Good head retention, perfect carbonation, beautiful amber color

Smell: Tangy and floral, hoppy to the nose

Taste: subdued hoppiness filled with wood notes and a floral blossoming.

Mouthfeel: Lingering notes of hops and slight maltiness, a good aftertaste that progresses well.

Drinkability: I downed this beer faster than I do with other beers. Perfect temperature, a fantastic beer, and a taste that does not get old.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Visual: One finger loosely packed head that dissipates quickly. Beautiful clear amber color that absolutely glows when you hold it up to the light.

Aroma: Grapefruit, apricot, and I also get a little hint of the smell that most Belgian beers have (not sure what it is called). I’m picking up a hint of bready malt in there as well. Not bad, but not knocking me over with hop aroma either.

Taste: More malt on the front end than what I expected. And really, I don’t pick up very much hops until the finish which comes in with a thin yet harsh wave of bitter. I feel like there is something there that plays to the middle sides of the tongue, however every time I roll it over the sides, it immediately starts to fizz up which distracts from the taste. By the way I pick up a Black Tea aftertaste on the exhale.

Mouth Feel: If I keep this beer running straight down the center of my palette then it feels good, reasonably wet and the taste is just … plain. If I roll it around it fizzes up something terrible and goes really dry; yes more tastes come out but they are overshadowed by the fizziness.

Drink-ability: I could try to extract out and find as much flavor as possible and end up completely disappointed because I can’t get the beer to hit on all cylinders. Either it goes fizzy and dry but tries to present its flavor, or it goes down quick and smooth with only average flavor… certainly nothing impressive enough to live up to its name and label.

Impressions: I’m just not impressed. I think this beer is unbalanced to a point where it can’t live up to its potential. As far as I’m concerned, I have to believe this is a work in progress, and that the brewers are still perfecting the formula. The hops are definitely in there, but they constantly have to fight to be noticed. Yes I would buy it again. Yes I would enjoy it. But I still think something is keeping this beer from living up to its true potential. Maybe it was nearing its end of life... it only has two more days left on its Best By date.

A- amber colored with inch thick and bubbly off white head, head quickly settles leaving moderate lacing.

S- i get a nice semi-sweet balance of citrus and hops and bready malts, lingering earthy tones.

T- follows the nose, very well balanced taste initially it's slightly sweet and sour from the combination of the citrus and piney hops, very malty for the style but it helps give it a nice finish.

M- medium to full bodied, thicker than i expected probably due to those bready malts, light carbonation, pleasant aftertaste.

O- very nice IPA, better than what i expected, the citrus and piney hops balance out nice with the bready malts, and those earthy tones make it different, better than most entry level IPAs.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer had a great hoppy flavour, but not too hoppy. It had a great golden brown color, like an ale. It had good mouth feel and a good smell. It had a pleasent aftertaste. If you like a hoppy beer, this could be your beer. Enjoyed this beer on tap in Rochester

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

At first I wanted to say this beer was amber, but it's much a much deeper, darker red. It had a beautiful head with very tiny bubbles, making it look almost like cream. It laced all the way down the slides while drinking and was still there for my last sip. When I was done, the bottom of the glass looked like a doily. Pretty. But then again, by the time I got to the bottom of the glass, everything was looking pretty.

I immediately smelled burnt caramel, like charred smores. My favorite kind. I also noted some hints of citrus, namely lemon, which must have been the hops kicking in. At first taste, it was fresh and crisp. Then I was almost chewing on the malt, even though there was no sediment whatsoever. Finally, just the right amount of tongue-scooting bitterness finished the palate. There were, however, a few sour notes every few sips. This IPA was delicious, drinkable to the last drop and will be hard to beat.

Great beer, good looking and pours while.

Certainly lives up to it's name. Tons of Hop taste. It has some bite, but you forget that by the time you take another sip.

Head lace lines after every sip.

Great and I think I do taste some pine in there like other tasters have noticed. It's not bad, just noticable.

Worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Looks very good. A beautiful amber color with a tall head.

Smells like an IPA. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Slightly sweet.

Tastes like it smells. Hops with some murky citrus/grapefruit notes. Some herbal "spiciness".

Feels slightly foamy/fluffy. Medium bodied but on the lighter side.

A good and easy going IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: poured into my yuengling beer glass, and it is a nice caramel color. Had a head, but I let it warm up a little (so I could taste even more hops), and the head is gone now.

Smell: pleasing. Slight smell of hops, which does not act as false advertising.

Taste: a delightful, balanced flavor of hops and malt. It doesn't have an overpowering flavor of hops (see Stegmaier IPA), but the hops presence is definitely there, even to my sometimes shoddy tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: not a light beer, I probably wouldn't want to enjoy this outside on a hot summer day, but it's a good beer to drink here in my apartment.

Overall: Stan recommends.

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

All in all not a great taste. They threw a ton of spices together and prayed... an overpowering taste of hops. Very heavy flavor. I guess a lot of people are into that though. Not me though, not a smooth beer and certainly not good flavor. I would not recommend this overpriced and overrated beer to anyone.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA. I was expecting the hops to be more distinctive in this beer, but it was more or less an average IPA. I guess the name of the beer had me expecting more, so in that sense I'm a bit disappointed... But not a bad IPA nonetheless

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

For some crazy reason, I always thought Hop Devil was similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had the opportunity to pour them side by side today, and while there are similarities, Hop Devil is superior in every facet. Out of bottles today, but if you ever have a chance to try Hop Devil Nitro, don't pass it up.

I liked this one. Nice deep copper color. Nice head and great hoppy smell. The hoppy fragrance got me. I first had this on tap in Harrisburg, PA and just found it here. Not my favorite IPA but my selection of IPA's here in VA is somewhat limited. This is one of the better ones available to us. I'll definitely buy it again.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer presents in a 12oz. brown bottle with the freshness date marked. It pours a one finger beige head that has good retention and laces nicely. The beer has a very slight haze and is dark amber in color. A great looking beer.

The aroma is a beautiful thing. A strong hop smell that almost reminds me of freshly cut grass. A great aroma. The first taste is perfect. Slightly sweet malt at first that smoothly transitions into a perfectly strong hop bitterness. Good hop character that is not overwhelming. The beautiful bitterness lasts for quite awhile in the back of the throat. Magnificently balanced. The mouthfeel is medium in body and goes well with the beer. A incredibly drinkable beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Firewaters in Atlantic City, N.J.
As were some other reviewers, I was very surprised at how well-balanced this beer was. It reminded me a lot of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, which is a good thing. Probably a bit hoppier than SNCA, but the hops are not overwhelming as I feared. Drinkability quite high. I would definitely buy this beer if I could find it anywhere in my area.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Label - I have to say it is my all time favorite , I love the picture of the HOP with the eyes, Love the flame colors behind the Devil. This beer to date has been nearly my all time favorite, and ironically, the first time I had it I had no idea how good it was. This beer (at this time) is my (largely unqualified) bench mark for IPAs

A - The is a great looking beer. Dark red bronze look to it. Big head upon pour, nice lacing. Ive swirled this one a few times.

S - Smells like hops as it should

T - Hoppy, some sweetness to it. You taste the booze on almost every swig. I have a great respect for this brew. It was actually the beer that moved me to the APAs and the IPAs.

M - Full , Creamy- but not overdone

D - Clearly a session beer, Ive proved it many times. I think this is a quality beer

Last point - I had this beer at the pub the night of the 10 year anniversary. Nothing like the bottle. I need to get there again to verify my suspicion that this beer is better in the bottle.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

It was a little difficult to take it serious based on its name...I thought this would just be some second rate IPA but was quite impressed. One of your darker IPAs with more than a fare share of hops and lot more character than that of the lighter IPAs. Very solid feel in the mouth, it surrounds the tongue and attacks from all directions.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Slightly hazy but beautiful copper/amber color. The head was an off white color and not very thick, fizzled away into a ring that left very little lacing.

Smell: Strong hops smell, very citrusy. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Just as it smelled it has a strong hops flavor with some spice. Very well balanced.

Mouth feel: Very smooth and clear, not gritty or overly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is a terrific beer and easily sessionable. I will be adding HopDevil to my line up of favorite brews.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Picked this up based on store posted Beer Advocate ratings.

A: This beer looked good, a little cloudy, but rich in color.

S: This beer smells like it advertises. Very strong hops.

T: This beer is all hops. Some may dig that, and I do normally, but there wasn't any balance in this beer. It was all bitter hops.

M: Hopdevil left a bitter taste in my mouth for hours after drinking it. I almost wanted to drink something else to clear.

D: I can only do one of these in a sitting. To much bitterness. A touch of sweetness to balance this would make it amazing!

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass. Small, thin, off white head that retreated quickly. Great deep copper color.

As with most IPAs, citrusy and piney notes prevail...very pleasant.

Taste was exceptional! Huge caramel malt backbone that is quickly balanced with bitterness from the hops. Long, dry finish with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a little chewy. Mediocre carbonation but not bad.

I would have more than one of these in a row. Very satisfying and the somewhat high ABV is well disguised by the thick malty character and the high hop presence.

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz glass into a large pilsner glass, this beer comes out dark brown and smooth, with 2-finger head that stays for a while.

Aroma: Enticing, hoppy aroma, albeit rather weak.

Taste: Can taste some malts, but they are far overpowered by the hops, which are very tasty and a bit spicy, but not overwhelming or overly bitter. Leaves a hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slightly carbonated, bitter tang. A nice mouthfeel is one of my favorite aspects of IPA's and other hoppy craft beers. This one does not have the best of all IPA's but holds its own.

Victory HopDevil is an excellent IPA that I would recommend as a must-drink for any hophead, and you'll want to drink it several times again. While being a great example of a hoppy beer, it is not overwhelmingly bitter, and I would even recommend it to one hoping to be introduced to the wonderful world of hops.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

A lot of IPA's try to distinguish themselves, Don't expect this one to stray from the good 'ole harsh bitterness and ever lasting hop aroma. Good beer for a dry mouth on either a cool night or an afternoon of football. Not as drinkable as some IPA's but the Hopdevil definitely doesn't disappoint the hop heads.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a single bottle as a part of a "make your own 6-pack". Honestly its a lot different than I was expecting. Big, bold flavor with very little bitterness, pretty spicy, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for,
The 6.7% ABV is hidden well, but it just tasted to me like a "dark" beer, not so much your standard IPA.

Overall not bad, but not something I would rush out to buy again, especially not if I was in the mood for an IPA. Definitely wouldn't mind paying $3.50 for a pint though at a bar.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company