Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,452 | Hads: 6,967
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a single bottle as a part of a "make your own 6-pack". Honestly its a lot different than I was expecting. Big, bold flavor with very little bitterness, pretty spicy, but not as hoppy as I was hoping for,
The 6.7% ABV is hidden well, but it just tasted to me like a "dark" beer, not so much your standard IPA.

Overall not bad, but not something I would rush out to buy again, especially not if I was in the mood for an IPA. Definitely wouldn't mind paying $3.50 for a pint though at a bar.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

I am yet to have a product from Victory that I didn't like--at least to some degree. The Hop Devil Ale is certainly no exception. Although the hops were a little subtle and less pronounced than I would have liked; I would definitely recommend this beer to friends. It is also attractively priced.

It had an excellent pour and very good head retention. The mouth feel and drinkability were also right on par. The alcohol level and purchase price make this a beer that can be enjoyed regularly and in large quantities.

The hop rate however is where this brew stumbles a bit. With a name like Hop Devil, I expected it to be aggressively hopped and to have a profound hop presence; this is where this beer fell a little short.

All things considered, this is a fine beer, and I would without doubt recommend this to fellow enthusiasts.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This was the beer that turned me on to American craft beer. When I had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC the other night I realized it was finally time to review it.

Served in a pint glass through which I could see the clarity and copper color of this beer.

The aroma is all hops - citrus & maybe a little piney - but it's not overwhelming. In my opinion, it's enticing.

From the first sip to the last, it's all citrus & pine hops with just a hint of malty sweetness. This is the beer that introduced me to hops and when I first had it years ago, I thought there was no way anyone could get more hops in a beer. Now I realize how there's actually some balance in there. Each sip left a slight hop bitterness that lasted until the next one.

I still like this beer as much as I did the first time I had it - maybe more. Victory, in typical fashion, did a great job with this one.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: 3/4 a finger of head, I must admit it was a weak pour so I fault myself for that. Receded quickly but left some nice lacing down the glass. A darker amber color, one of the darkest IPAs I've seen.

Smell: Hops in the forefront, nothing too special. I smell some strong and sweet caramel malt, more than I like in my IPAs.

Taste: Again, nothing too special. This is tasty beer but nothing stands out to me, some light citrus hop flavors up front. The caramel malt is too strong for my liking here, a little sweet on the aftertaste.

Overall: A solid IPA but frankly, I expected more. I understand this is a matter of personal preference, but I just don't like such a strong malt presence in IPAs. I also have some Hop Wallop I'm waiting to try, I hope the malt there is more toned down than this.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Ah.. the appearence. This brew is a amber color with a nice white head the laces on the side of the glass. The appearence jumps out and says drink me. The aroma of hops explodes out of this bottled beer. It smells like American hop varieties (which I believe are the best) and has much greater aroma than the average IPA. The aroma adds to the taste which packs alot of flavoring hops into this beer. The bittering hops are balanced nicely with the malt and it makes the brew a very drinkable ale.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance- poured a nice Amber color but without much head and what was there was gone quickly--there was a slight cloudiness to it though.

Smell-had a very pleasant hoppy aroma with a slight hint of Alcohol. Indiviual aromas were hard to pick out of the complexity of the overall aroma.

Taste-I'm not a hop head but the good malt backbone really helped tame the overall hoppiness. The hops produced a slight grapefruit puckering effect.

Mouthfeel-Had a pleasing light to medium body that was good on the touge. The hop bite was very evident with a small alcohol pepperness to it.

Drinkability-I would definately buy again, however because of the hoppiness I would limit it to 1 to 2 a nite, but I'm not a hop head, yet.

1.99/5  rDev -51.1%

I had this beer many moons ago and enjoyed it much. I recently bought it again due to slim selection. This beer is not what it used to be. I am seeing more and more that companies that have had a good history of serving up great beers are falling short more and more. I guess nothing is sacred anymore, even good beer in the current world of greed and corner cutting. Thanks alot Victory. Count me out.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

This was a beer that I've heard alot about and my expectations were satisfied by the Devil. The smell is complex with lots of fruit going on. Very nice. The taste is strong and, like the smell, complex as hell. Its almost overpowering there is so much going on. Its tasty, but almost spicy. Very interesting. It feels nice in the mouth, almost think and dances on the tounge. The drinkablity of this beer is suspect. For me it bites a little too much to be an everyday beer. One, maybe two and move on to something cheaper. Bottom line- Tasty and spicy. Very interesting beer.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours into a snifter a dark almost reddish clear color. Not much of a head, but then I didn't pour for a big one.

Smell: Smells of pine flavor.

Taste: It tastes much like it smells. A bit of a pine flavor with a hoppy bitter aftertaste, very flavorful.

Mouthfeel: A very nice mouthfeel, the bubbles aren't to large or too frequent or the reverse.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, I enjoy this one a lot. The alcohol content isn't too high and the beer doesn't taste like slightly flavored perrier either.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Right off the bat, this beer, my first taste from Victory, completely took me by surprise. I expected another, basic, drinkable-but nothing special IPA that I could start my night with. Instead I found one of the better beers I have had at home in a while. I had been working at home all day and finally got to sit down to watch the second Final Four game in my chair and this stepped up to meet me.

Poured into a basic pint glass (actually an Oscar Blue's Gordon glass...) pours a nice, warm, rich, curious amber in color. This beer looked immediately delicious. It was virtually headless, just some slight lacing. Its head dissipated almost completely about 1/4 into this beer.

HopDevil's smell is enticing, and again surprisingly sweet.

This beer's taste is what caught me completely off guard. It was sweet, rich and buttery at the top. This beer hit my mouth and immediately made me sit up and give it the attention it deserves. The ending hopfeel was amazing. I am hop crazy right now (have been since last summer) and I found this to be one of the most balanced hop beers I have had in a while.

This IPA did not murder your mouth like some hop-fabulous beers do. While I appreciate those that do, but for this evening, this beer was the perfect beginning to my session. started me off strong, got my mouth ready for beer for the rest of the evening.

This is a very very drinkable IPA. I threw this into a mixed6 I got from Lucas. I regret that. I would have sat all night and enjoyed this beer that surprised me with its personality, balance and drinkability. This will definitely become one of my staples for session-type IPAs.

Completely recommend this beer. I will be chasing down a sixpack of this very soon.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle I picked up at TotalWine in Annandale poured into a heavy 14oz mug. This is the second or third time I've had the Hop Devil.

Hop Devil poured a beautifully consistent amber. A very thin head dissipated quickly, but that could be as much the fault of my dishsoap as poor retention.

The pine and cream aromas hit first, and with some searching, the pale malts filled out the tail. Good, indicative aromas for a balanced IPA.

The taste was clearly pine and citrus, mostly lemon, but next up I was stung with the sharp taste of copper. Not awesome, but it did fade after the first sip.
To fast forward, that's probably the only negative on this one. Otherwise, well balanced for an IPA named Hop Devil. Again, for the style, there was plenty of light caramel and cream in the backseat to add to the depth and balance of the Hop Devil - the biggest little beer in America, err something.

It's embarrassing, but in my notes I actually wrote "superb" when I turned my attention to the texture and mouthfeel. But yeah, it was. Understandably thick for the ABV and depth typical of the heavier IPAs. Carbonation was complementary, just enough to cut the texture and tickle the tongue.

Anyone like me that holds a special place in their heart / brain / stomach for DIPAs will probably find the Hop Devil quite drinkable and come back for more. And if you like IPAs, but are more moderate (balance is paramount) Hop Devil could be a weekend fling. And if you don't like heavy hops, well, it's called Hop Devil. Yeah.

Despite the fact that it made me use words like superb, tickle, and special place, I really like the Hop Devil. The copper tinge wasn't enough of a problem to ruin the taste, and that's not something I've noticed when I had had it before. A very good heavy IPA.

I need to sit down and pit the devil against Troegs HopBack. A Susquehannan backyard brawl of sorts. The HopBack is dubbed an amber ale, but whatever, these two beers have a lot more in common than geography.

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Bought a sixer of this at the new specs in Galveston (thank god) poured into a pint glass.

I am a huge hophead so I was excited to try a new IPA from PA.

A: this beer pours a golden amber color with an inch of creamy white head that is long lasting and clings to the side of the glass. Lacing continued tip the end.

S: I immediately notice the spiciness. This is followed by a strong hoppy smell and just a hint of citrus fruits.

M: Lightly carbonated, very smooth yet light with a lot of complexity.

T: First thing you notice is the spiciness. It then gives way to the extreme hoppiness one would expect from a great IPA.

D: Unfortunately, I feel that this is a beer that you could order all night long. The question is would you want to do that to your liver. At 6.7% ABV, typical of a high end IPA, you could have more than your share before you know it. The alcohol sneaks up on you.

Overall, a great example of an excellent IPA and at $7-$8 a sixer much cheaper than some of it's fellow east coast brethen (60 minute IPA comes to mind). Will definitely purchase again.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Against my better judgment but at the recommendation of some respected BAs, here's my first review.

12 oz bottle poured into my New Belgium balloon. "Enjoy by Sept 14, 2011" so I'm on time. I'm greeted by about a finger of cream colored head. Looks thick and dense, but doesn't last long. Nothing exceptional in the lacing dept. Laser etched bicycle at the bottle of the glass is trickling bubbles through the gorgeous amber/orange maintaining a thin layer of head throughout the full tasting.

The aroma is more pine than citrus to me. A bit of the sweet malt comes through as well. For lack of a better term, it smells balanced.

The taste is hop forward without being overpowering. I get the citrus being mentioned in other reviews. Sweet malt comes through after the initial prickle of the hops wears off. The aftertaste is bitter, begging for another taste. The mouthfeel is what impresses me the most. It's creamy. Thick, but juicy. Love it, but playing devil's advocate it may not suit every situation.

This is a great balanced IPA that I don't feel like I have to concentrate on to enjoy. No feature overpowers the other leaving a very easy to drink beer that doesn't leave you wanting. A beautifully crafted favorite.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours a deep ruby color, or possibly a rich rich amber. No visible carbonation, but there is good head retention; approximately 2 fingers of off-white (slightly tan) head. True to the name, the hop resins create a nice thick sticky lacing around the glass.

S - This beer smells pretty darn good - spicy, piney hops and some caramel malts come through. The malts give it a nice sweetness that is definitely not present in all IPAs. The smell is somewhat understated for an IPA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

T - The hops definitely come through in a few ways in this beer. There is a certain earthy, piney and spicy (almost peppery) taste to the hops, which really comes through well and adds a degree of complexity not there in some of the purely hit-you-over-the-head-with-bitterness hoppy IPAs. There is a solid caramel malt backbone, which holds everything together nicely and offsets some of the hop bitterness nicely. Having said that, there is a lingering bitterness that bites for just a BIT too long for me. Other tastes are slightly bready and citrusy, but nothing I can outright identify. This beer also doesn't hide it's ABV very well; I would've guessed it to be a higher ABV if I was judging on taste alone.

M - This beer is thick, almost creamy for an IPA. The name again is alluded to with the mouthfeel, as the resins coat your mouth and keeps a layer on your tongue throughout the experience. This beer has an almost oily quality to it, which suggests a long boil with the hops.

O - Definitely give this beer a shot if you love hops, it will give you a pretty unique experience with some of the spiciness that it brings to the palate. I would buy this every now and then and break them out to two beers per time that I drank; this is definitely not meant to be put back all night (especially at 6.7% ABV).

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

disappointing aroma, hoppy but not that grassy IPAish aroma I love, amber color with a nice head that sticks around for a while, Hoppy but completely balanced by the malts, Extremely smooth! but could use a stronger hop finish, I was expecting more from this beer...I prefer west coast IPAs...

This beer is pure dynamite on tap - but average at best in the bottle. I have had enough of this in a bottle in different locales and over time to be statistically sound. What gives? anyone else notice this?

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The appearance is a little more redish/brown than typical IPAs but is very clear. I was not too impressed with the smell. There is a strong pine nose with hints of hops. The taste is extremely complex with a great spice. The mouthfeel was crisp and easy drinking, not too heavy. This is not my ideal IPA, prefer West Coast IPAs, but think it is an overall great beer!

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Darker golden brown, indiciative of it's malty taste.
Smell: malt and hops..More malty.
Taste: could include more hops.
mouthfeel: very full
Overall; better ipas out there in price range..more
of an "east coast ipa".I prefer west coast style.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

About as good as an IPA gets! Not too strong on the alcohol that it takes away from the ale, but a couple of these will do for a night. Victory is a solid brewery.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

The Devil made me do it. Victory Hopdevil is a exceptional IPA,
the hoppy flavor is may be overpowering to a drinker of the big boy brews but a true beer drinker will appericate the taste of this superb beer.

The color, the taste, and the aroma will have you say
The Devil made me do it too.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

12 oz bottle in a tulip

Appearance - Copper with a tan foamy head. Pours clear with bubbles throughout the beer.

Smell - Hoppy and bright, hints of citrus and hops (of course)

Taste - Beautifully bitter, noce green hop taste followed by grapefruit and malt.

Mouthfeel - Thick for an IPA, but quite nice. Bubbly.

Drinkability - Oh yeah, I could drink these all night, Often I do.

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle has a date stamp 'Enjoy by may 14th, 07. Date of this tasting: Feb. 07, 2007.

Appearance - clear. Rich Orangish/red color. Very minimal head but stays throughout.

Smell - some hop but less than I expected for a 'hop devil'. In fact, I'm having a hard time getting much out of the aroma. Some cereal characteristics in the malt

Taste - bittering hops definitely come through. Decent malt flavor but takes a back seat to the bitter. Malt does begin to come forward as beer warms. The main characteristic of this beer seems to be the bittering hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin for a 6.7 ABV

Drinkability - good if you are looking for a focus on bittering hops and for the same reason not a good session beer.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Medium Copper Color, Light Tan Cream Head, Nice Head Retention, Average Lacing

S- Piney Hops, Sweet Mild Citrus.

T- Up Front Hops Presents, Sweet & Spicy Citrus Finish, Good Back Of The Mouth Taste.

M- Medium Body, Crisp Slightly Dry Finish.

D- Easy Drinkable IPA,

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass -- Best By 16 Sep 09

Appearance -- A nice copper with soapy head on the pour giving way to a thin head with nice vanilla colored lacing

Smell -- Not at all what I expected considering the name and label. The sweet malts really jump out at me with very little citrus or pine.

Taste -- Again, much like the smell, the malt really jumps on my palette at the start. As a newer IPA fan I've found that I'm a big fan of the west coast style IPA with heavy Cascade and Columbus hops...this beer really pointed out the big difference between east and west coast as the hops really kicked in on the backside with a nice bitterness to clean some of that malt off my palette. Totally different experience but not all that bad.

Mouth Feel -- the moderate level of carbonation is a great complement to the sequence of flavors of the beer.

Drinkability -- At a moderate ABV and good mouth feel, this one goes down preettttaay, prettttaaay, pretty good. I'll probably purchase this one again.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer is extremely over-rated. It smells and looks good, but the flavor is so unbalanced. Left me with a dry mouth feel. I'm glad someone gave it to me and I didn't buy the six pack.
I love IPA's but I prefer a balanced taste like a 90 min DFH.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company