Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Liverocks, Jul 10, 2014

mlklein27, Feb 21, 2014

ChrisinRI, May 08, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from the 12oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip the beer was a dirty penny copper with about two fingers of just off white fluffy head that retained very well throughout the whole sample and left a thick sheet of lacing. Lots of carbonation streaming up from the bottom and sides of the glass.

The nose smacks with hoppy aromas. Piney and citrusy, slight grapefruit, and an ever so soft bready malty aroma. Hop aromas dominate this one with pine cones coming through.

The first sip has carbonation grab the palate right away with a prickly impact that soon gives way to a dry bitterness on the back of the tounge. Taste mimics the smell as you not only sense the bitterness but also "taste" the hop aromas of pine and graperuit. The balance actually comes through as the beer rests for a moment. A semi-firm malt backbone is present and serves to cut through the hops just slightly. Hop flavor still dominates, but the beer is not without balance. I remember the beer being less balanced in the past. The finish is dry, crisp, and resony hops coming back through.

Medium body with a good amount a carbonation. Prickly, dry and crisp with each sip.

The beer has always been a solid and afforable choice for an IPA. I recall the beer being less balanced in the past; perhaps my affinity for hops has made even those beer which pack a punch seem less agressive than they once did. Either way, still an excelent beer that I return to often.

Sycodrummer, Mar 14, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Enjoy by Jan 4 2011. Single purchased for $1.85 at John's Market.

A-Poured a beautiful copper amber hue with a two finger bone white head with nice retention and sticky lacing.

S-Nose is predominantly earthy and spicy English style hops.

T-Taste is hoppy, but more like a supercharged ESB than an American IPA. Not enough malt in the flavor.

M-Smooth and well balanced. Nice carbonation level.

D-This went down easily enough, but this is not close to what I prefer in an IPA. Perhaps this is more East Coast in style. If so, I definitely favor the West Coast interpretation. Taste improves as it warms.

velosuds, Oct 22, 2010

hotsudge, Mar 03, 2014

jskennedy, Jan 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

reitzbrewing, Oct 21, 2012

SonictheBeerhog, Jul 08, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Being a fan of pale ales I was very excited to taste this for the first time and Victory did not disappoint. With a smooth pour and a foggy amber color with a bubbly off-white head I was ready to go. the smell had a nice fruity, floral sensation with a definite hop quality. The first sip was everything I was expecting. A rich, full body witha complex array of hops and citrus flavors with a mellow dry aftertaste. This warmed me up on a less than warm night, but I could also drink 4 or 5 of these on a hot summer day. No matter what you like this is a keeper. Cheers!

GreatPondBrewer, Feb 12, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a big, off-white, resiny head. Bright, floral, citrus hop aroma with maybe a touch of buttery esters underneath. Amber-gold color. Starts off very bitter with an underlying sweetness (that buttery caramel), builds into a pine-sap hoppiness with prominent notes of grapefruit. Finish is hop bitter and sticky pine sap flavor, and then the malt comes through in a biscuit like quality under this, and the resin begins to take on an almost soapy flavor as it fades from my palate.

Not bad, overall. I'm not a big fan of that buttery caramel aspect, which I presume is here to lend a more authentic English characteristic to it. The smell started off FANTASTIC, but as the head faded, and the buttery caramel became more pronounced, I began to really hate the smell.
Maybe I'm overly sensitive to diacetyl (that buttery caramel)....I do tend to have a visceral, negative reaction to it. If this were on tap, I'd blame a dirty line...
Looking at the lower reviews, that seems to be a re-occuring issue for a few of us. I tend to favor the aromatic IPA's over these aggressively bitter ones (they're a fun novelty, but they get tiring).
I found the "drink by date" and I still have a month before that date, so I know this isn't ancient and stale.

I am pairing it with Prairie Breeze cheese, and that's working quite well. Hoppy bier + Cheddar (or cheddar-like) cheese = Win!
(It's also making this one easier to finish for me)

TheSSG, Dec 09, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. Brown Bottle. Pint Glass

A: Cloudy orange with one finger light tan creamy head. After the head recedes it leaves a great amount of sticky lacing all over the glass.

S: Aroma is mostly citric with orange and grapefruit. Bread grains and sweet malts.

T/M: This is one hoppy freakin brew. Spicy but crisp and smooth. I'd say full bodied. There are malts but they are very subdued and don't do much to balance the beer out. This is really all Hops. Once the brew warms up a little I can taste the alcohol, which is warming.

D: One great Hop brew. I love IPA's and this really does it for me. I could drink many, many of these. Thanks Victory!

Cheers!!!

mnrider, Oct 18, 2009

George2744, Mar 26, 2012

bulldogg915, Mar 06, 2014

teraflx, Jun 30, 2013

ronin926, Jun 20, 2013

pagesofphotographs, Nov 05, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

I've had so many people tell how much they enjoyed this beer and now I see it has a "Outstanding" 90 rating here. I've had this several times, including a quite a few recently. Am I missing something?

To start, it's a fine beer, a quality IPA that was quite enjoyable. But with the accolades this gets I expect it to be something spectacular. Even more so since it's an IPA, one of the finest styles around, in my opinion.

I guess the main missing link for me is the use of hops. This has never hit me as an absurdly hoppy beer. I fucking love hops. This falls more into citrus hopland, and I'm a piney / floral kinda jabroni.

Definitely worth trying for yourself, it's a good beer and others seem to dig the shit outta this.

sloejams, Feb 02, 2006

sabitu, Apr 06, 2014

Duesler, Mar 09, 2014

grimey68, Sep 01, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

This was a pretty good brew. Not my favorite, but pretty good, none the less. It had a nice orange color pushing a well lacing head. The smell was that of flowers. I don't know why, that's what I got. A hoppy taste, but at the same time it was very malty. Kind of its own contradiction. There was more than enough in it to balance things out. It was a good beer. I like it.

CBFanWish, Oct 07, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A nice tan-red. Head is glorious - 2-fingers with nice dissipation and brilliant lacing.

S: Really sugary malt, caramel. Hops are there. A little grapefruit.

T: Nice sweet pink grapefruit flavor made even sweeter by the caramel malt. Not cloying - enjoyable! Hops taste great. Grapefruit lingers in the aftertaste, along with some hops, but not much.

M: Non-astringent, medium-light bodied, a little oily. Carbonation perfect.

D: Goes down smoother than many of this style. I will be buying this again to drink often.

ralree, Aug 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A - pours a dark golden/copper color with soapy white head that leaves a good amount of lacing
S - didn't get much here, a little sweet maltiness and some hops
T - citric hops with some floral notes, really sweet substantial malt backing, very well-balanced
M - medium-bodied, not as full-bodied as one might expect from the sweet malt flavor, slightly sticky, goes down really smooth despite the hop bite
D - definitely drinkable and definitely tasty. I can't pinpoint why but I don't think I'd want to toss back more than one or two in a sitting.

josefnewsong, Mar 02, 2010