Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a big, off-white, resiny head. Bright, floral, citrus hop aroma with maybe a touch of buttery esters underneath. Amber-gold color. Starts off very bitter with an underlying sweetness (that buttery caramel), builds into a pine-sap hoppiness with prominent notes of grapefruit. Finish is hop bitter and sticky pine sap flavor, and then the malt comes through in a biscuit like quality under this, and the resin begins to take on an almost soapy flavor as it fades from my palate.

Not bad, overall. I'm not a big fan of that buttery caramel aspect, which I presume is here to lend a more authentic English characteristic to it. The smell started off FANTASTIC, but as the head faded, and the buttery caramel became more pronounced, I began to really hate the smell.
Maybe I'm overly sensitive to diacetyl (that buttery caramel)....I do tend to have a visceral, negative reaction to it. If this were on tap, I'd blame a dirty line...
Looking at the lower reviews, that seems to be a re-occuring issue for a few of us. I tend to favor the aromatic IPA's over these aggressively bitter ones (they're a fun novelty, but they get tiring).
I found the "drink by date" and I still have a month before that date, so I know this isn't ancient and stale.

I am pairing it with Prairie Breeze cheese, and that's working quite well. Hoppy bier + Cheddar (or cheddar-like) cheese = Win!
(It's also making this one easier to finish for me)

TheSSG, Dec 09, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz. Brown Bottle. Pint Glass

A: Cloudy orange with one finger light tan creamy head. After the head recedes it leaves a great amount of sticky lacing all over the glass.

S: Aroma is mostly citric with orange and grapefruit. Bread grains and sweet malts.

T/M: This is one hoppy freakin brew. Spicy but crisp and smooth. I'd say full bodied. There are malts but they are very subdued and don't do much to balance the beer out. This is really all Hops. Once the brew warms up a little I can taste the alcohol, which is warming.

D: One great Hop brew. I love IPA's and this really does it for me. I could drink many, many of these. Thanks Victory!

Cheers!!!

ronin926, Jun 20, 2013

BalancingBrooms, Sep 06, 2014

pagesofphotographs, Nov 05, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

I've had so many people tell how much they enjoyed this beer and now I see it has a "Outstanding" 90 rating here. I've had this several times, including a quite a few recently. Am I missing something?

To start, it's a fine beer, a quality IPA that was quite enjoyable. But with the accolades this gets I expect it to be something spectacular. Even more so since it's an IPA, one of the finest styles around, in my opinion.

I guess the main missing link for me is the use of hops. This has never hit me as an absurdly hoppy beer. I fucking love hops. This falls more into citrus hopland, and I'm a piney / floral kinda jabroni.

Definitely worth trying for yourself, it's a good beer and others seem to dig the shit outta this.

sloejams, Feb 02, 2006

sabitu, Apr 06, 2014

grimey68, Sep 01, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

This was a pretty good brew. Not my favorite, but pretty good, none the less. It had a nice orange color pushing a well lacing head. The smell was that of flowers. I don't know why, that's what I got. A hoppy taste, but at the same time it was very malty. Kind of its own contradiction. There was more than enough in it to balance things out. It was a good beer. I like it.

CBFanWish, Oct 07, 2003
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A nice tan-red. Head is glorious - 2-fingers with nice dissipation and brilliant lacing.

S: Really sugary malt, caramel. Hops are there. A little grapefruit.

T: Nice sweet pink grapefruit flavor made even sweeter by the caramel malt. Not cloying - enjoyable! Hops taste great. Grapefruit lingers in the aftertaste, along with some hops, but not much.

M: Non-astringent, medium-light bodied, a little oily. Carbonation perfect.

D: Goes down smoother than many of this style. I will be buying this again to drink often.

ralree, Aug 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

A - pours a dark golden/copper color with soapy white head that leaves a good amount of lacing
S - didn't get much here, a little sweet maltiness and some hops
T - citric hops with some floral notes, really sweet substantial malt backing, very well-balanced
M - medium-bodied, not as full-bodied as one might expect from the sweet malt flavor, slightly sticky, goes down really smooth despite the hop bite
D - definitely drinkable and definitely tasty. I can't pinpoint why but I don't think I'd want to toss back more than one or two in a sitting.

josefnewsong, Mar 02, 2010

baybassboy, May 21, 2012

brett606, Jul 04, 2013

ChrisinRI, May 08, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange/reddish color with great clarity. A good-sized head stays pretty well and has a nice sheeting effect down the side of the glass.

Smell: Cascade hops and all the wonderful scents that come with them: pine, grapefruit, citrus... A touch of sweet malt too. Great aroma!

Taste: A skillful balance of sweet malt and hop bitterness and flavor. The cascade hops certainly make themself known. Lots of pine, grapefruit, a touch of pineapple, a bit of a flowery taste, and a bitterness that finishes out strong. I pick up on a touch of toffee throughout as well. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Very soft and rounded, with a smooth, medium thickness.

Drinkability: Good. Some American Pale Ales knock you over with hops...this one has just as much as the next one, but in a beautiful balance with the malt flavors.

MJR, Dec 01, 2002
3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Tasted on-tap last night at Thinking Man Tavern. Very bright, reddish looking ale with a nice frothy 2 fingers of head. Aroma of faint hops, more malt. Perhaps English? Taste was good, mild hops for a beer named HopDevil. A bit restrained for my liking. Pretty malty...reminded me of a Bass on some hormones. Dry-hop finish. My wife liked it more than me.

I have had this beer a few times in the bottle and was not impressed. Last night proved to me that I am not a fan. The beer was not terrible, by any means.

RustyDiamond, Aug 09, 2007