Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,448 | Hads: 6,936
4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Had my first visit to the Ginger Man in NYC. Asked what the barkeep recommended for an IPA and this was his 2nd recommendation after Stone (which I'd had so I said no). I was pleased. I've had better IPAs but I'd drink it again. Pretty damn drinkable for an IPA. (262 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured this beer into an English tulip pint.
This beer has a a slightly tan head with that quickly diminishes. Has good carbonation with no lacing. Pours a nice copper color that I expect from an IPA. Does not have a large amount of sedimentation.
The smell of hops is not very strong. It smells more like honey and that liquid malt extract smell.
I liked the taste of the beer. i thought it was bittered nicely but it could use more of a fresh flower or fruit taste in the beginning. Has more of a malty finish that is quite nice.
Nice mouthfeel on this one. Coats the palate nicely with a lingering flavor of malt and hops. Bitterness does not overpower.
This is a very drinkable beer. Very smooth. Could easily drink 3 in a session (737 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Recently acquired a six-pack of this brew for an IPA/dIPA tasting night with some good friends. The other night, I more scrutinously analyzed one of the "leftovers".

12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance -
Coppery/light-brown coloration with thin tan head. Head has very minimal retention--disappears within several minutes of pouring.

Smell -
Mosaic of floral hop smells; grapefruit and lime possibly? It's always difficult for me to pick apart the scents of fruity esters.

Taste -
A salvo of hops for the most part. In fact, it seems a bit unbalanced. There would be room for malt character, but I never did say it was a bad thing to have too much hop flavor. Just being critical, I suppose. Again, it's hard for me to pick apart the flavors, but I certainly catch a hint of pine and a confirmation of the grapefruit odor detected previously.

Mouthfeel -
Very full. Perhaps a bit sticky and resiny. Still, it goes down easy enough.

Drinkability -
A bit intense, but certainly very enjoyable. A great example of an IPA. (1,031 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a sampler pack I recently purchased
Victory Hop Devil IPA
No freshness date, but no indication that it's not prime either. Starts with a funky hop smell, but improves from there. Light carbonation and a swell bitterness that makes me wonder why this beer smells differently than it tastes. Perhaps it's the malts. 6.7% alcohol is unnoticeable. Not a striking IPA, but not a lousy one either. That being said, I could find a better option without much effort. (463 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

A-deep clear copper amber pour to a one inch frothy head that laced my glass the entire way.

S-strong pine aroma, citrus, hops..

T-this one taste great perfect amount of hops malt balance, heavy hops,pine resin, grapefruit, spice..

D-very enjoyable ipa, gotta love the Hop Devil, I could keep a case of this one around the house anytime... (342 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Had several times, this review based on an on tap serving at Philidelphia Airport

A- Very dark clear copper

S- Malts and hops that seems to be rich and complex

T- Like nirvana in your mouth. An IPA for sure but thick, full and surprising. Great malt taste and very thick with a hop kick that seems just right.

M- full but not thick, seems perfectly balanced.

O- Go buy this beer, drive out of your way to get it, if you are someplace that has it on tap order 2 up front just to get it out of the way. One of my favorites all time. (535 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance-A beautiful medium copper color, very appealing!

Smell-Hops

Taste-This is where this beer really shines. It's an IPA, so you obviously expect lots of hops. And you do get lots of hops, but it's VERY well balanced with maltiness and LOTS of flavor! The hops aren't overwhelming which I really like. The flavor is complex, but stay extremely drinkable. I had about 3 in a row, with little fatigue compared to other hoppier beers.

Mouthfeel-I've had this beer a few times. It comes off as less carbonated feeling than most beers.

Head-Good head, but like I said, it doesn't feel very carbonated, even with fairly aggressive pouring (I've had bottle too).

Overall-One of my absolute favorite beers right now. I brought some to a party for me and a friend to enjoy, and it was highly entertaining. Lots of character to this beer. (840 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

Just tried my first Hop Devil and, boy, was I impressed. These guys really know what they're doing and they are a hopheads dream come true. Incredible hop aromas and flavour...enough to satifsy even the most virulent hopead. (226 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

This is an excellent beer.

I had tried this on tap a few years ago. And saw that it was on cask at The Sharp Edge in Pittsburgh this weekend, so I had to get one.

The appearance was an excellent amber, with a nice and creamy half inch head. A little cloudy

Smell was a nice piney/citrusy hop aroma.

Taste: Excellent balance of American hops and malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is where the cask conditioning really shines through. The beer was nice and creamy with a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I could have had several of these. (551 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this during the Victory event at the Blind Tiger. Among the 4 styles of Victory I tried, the good ole' HopDevil still stole the night. I've had The Devil countless times in a bottle and on tap, and even a couple of times from a cask, but it was especially good this time, perhaps because of its freshness. In addition to the lovely hops, this almost perfectly balanced ale has a crisp, slightly burnt maltiness coming through the strong, earthy body. This tasting proved again to me that you just can't go wrong with the Devil. (533 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. Pours with a nice head that is maintained at ~1/8" throughout the drink with a sanded golden appearance. The aroma has notes of grapefruit and pineapple from the hopps and really pulled me in. It's obvious a generous helping of hops are in this brew. I could smell this beer and Dogfish Head's 90 min IPA all day long. It just makes my mouth water.

The first thing that hits you upon the taste is the hop citrusy sweetness...almost overwhelming pineapple and grapefruit tartness. The finish is slightly dry with hop bitterness at the end. You have to be a hop head (which I defiantly am) to enjoy this beer. If you prefer sweeter European brews then you won't be as enthralled with this beer. Either this beer and DFH 90 IPA is always in my frige...they're neck and neck to me. (821 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Hudson ACME store for $9, due date is June 2010. Poured the 12 oz bottle into a favorite Pilsner glass of mine.

Appearance: Reddish - Copper Beer is topped by about 2 inches of white frothy foam. It laces the glass nicely as it recedes. Looks beautiful.

Smell: Spicy, floral hop smell.

Taste: Typical of style, starts with a sweet and spicy taste and finishes bitter. It has a good balance that is weighted towards the hops. The malts are not on top, which is good. Excellent hops coverage for the style.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation that covers both sides of the palette, spreading the bitter finish across.

Drinkabilty: Give me more. I like this beer a lot. I will admit that it is not complex nor challenging. It simply hits the mark for the style. Reasonable price, great looks, great taste.

Right up there with my other favorite IPAs. (858 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -15%

Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass. Great head and carbonation. Its color is quite amberish with a slight orange hue. Much darker than some IPAs. Smell is a bit of a let down, has the typical IPA citrus smell but its not very strong and am really not getting much from it. Taste - alright were getting there, lemon rind, sharp bitterness and spicy pepper finish. Finish is sweet and lingerers on the mouth for a long time. Not a bad IPA, pretty solid in drinkability and could see drinking a few. Really nothing spectacular though, there are certainly other IPAs that I would rather drink. (600 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a Bluepoint shaker pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful deep amber with a slightly brown-tinted, plentiful head. Great lacing and lots of bubbles of varying sizes.

S: Dank resin-like aromas, biscuit, honey, grapefruit,

T: Herbal, citrus, pine, biscuit, toasty, alcoholic. Sits fairly heavy on the palate with moderate carbonation, adding a velvety feel to the mix. A well-balanced finish in terms of malt and hops with a long-lasting aftertaste.

A good beer overall. A bit hard to pick out the characteristics but regardless an enjoyable beer to drink. A good job on the balance of malt and hops while still displaying qualities characteristic of an IPA, that is, hop-forwardness. I would say it lives up to its name with the overstated hop character. I am beginning to feel more and more relaxed as the glass gets emptier... (837 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

I drank this on cask at The Long Room pub in NYC.

Look: Shiny penny copper with a creamy smooth head, the kind that gives you a "milk" mustache

Smell: Shy nose of citrus and hops doesn't come on nearly as strongly as it tastes.

Taste: This cask pulled beer has low carbonation and is served at room temperature to let the full hops flavor of the IPA to come through. Its starts off floral and citrus, builds to a round, toasty biscuit followed by bitter pine.

My full review is here: http://whatareyoudrinking.net/2010/11/where-are-you-drinking-in-new-york-the-long-room-irish-pub/ (589 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Head was medium lasting and steady.
Color was light redish brown slightly cloudly.
Smell was a sour grainy grapefruit.
Inital taste had a a byte at first but soon faded away had a grainy tatse similar to the smell with a long lasting after taste.
The body was medium to lite with average carbination.

Bought a 6 pack at the cork and cap in fot wayne IN i thought it was kind of expensive. wouldnt try it again. (411 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Glassware: Pint glass

Appearance: Orange amber color with a head that stuck around for little bit of time

Smell: The smell is chock full of hops but also with some other smell I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste: Definitely a good amount of hops along with some sweetness after swallowing, I can taste a little bit of raisin and some other sweetness.

Overall: A balanced beer with some good hoppy bitterness involved. The bitter overpowers the beer a little but still overall well balanced. Not too heavy. Nice IPA to sit back and watch tourny basketball (560 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

I have had this before and liked it but it was always close to the enjoy by date. I found this fresher batch (enjoy by Sept 26 2011) at one of the local liquor stores that previously didn't carry it so without hesitation grabbed a sixer. With the menacing devil staring me down I start this review.

12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass. The color is a gorgeous amber with a khaki head that faded rather quickly. However a quick swirl around the glass brought it back but again no retention.

The aroma is a little weak to me with sweet caramel malts coming out and like a few others have said a spice I can't identify but it is not off putting.

The taste is really good. It starts off sweet and malty but then the hops introduce themselves and interrupt the malt but not rudely. The previously mentioned mystery spice is part of the flavor as well but like the aroma does not hinder the enjoyment. Make no mistake, the finish is hops and a pleasant bitterness but certainly not as hoppy as the name Hop Devil would suggest.

The mouthfeel is creamy and lightly carbonated but the carbonation fades quickly which disappointed me a little. Not too thick, not too thin and the flavors do work the palate nicely.

Overall I love this beer when fresh but only like it when its a little dated. I love a lot of Victory's beers and fresh Hop Devil is no exception. Newbies to the aggressive hop ales will probably not like this beer (imho) but I sure do. (1,462 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a light amber color.

S- A strong hoppy aroma, slightly sweet.

T- Well balanced blend of hops and spices.

M- The taste of spices linger with a strong hoppy aftertaste.

O- Powerful tasting, yet very drinkable IPA. My favorite ale from Victory. This is the ale that really sparked my interest in drinking microbrews.

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass) (371 characters)

I can't add much more about appearance that has not already been said. I admit it, I am a hophead. I love IPAs -- Bass, of course, the first, then I was introduced to the local brew in Harpoon IPA back when it was a seasonal. Then came Tremont, Shipyard Fuggles, Sam Adams, etc. Traveling I savored Bridgeport IPA, Goose Island IPA, and Rogue Brutal Bitter, but, sadly, they are not available in MA. Then one chilly evening I found Victory Hop Devil in my favorite "packy" (Macy's).

I see that some have mentioned Stone in the same breath as Hop Devil; I can't compare, as Stone in $10 a six as opposed to $7 for Hop Devil. However, I find it difficult to believe that it is $3 better. Hop Devil smells wonderful, and tastes even better. Feels great on the tongue, and rolls down smoothly. The only problem is that its so good and refreshing it's hard to to sip!

If you like your ale on the hoppy side, you can't go wrong with Hop Devil. It's as good as any out there, and better than most...and I swore by Harpoon for years! (1,031 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Victory HopDevil Ale has a beautiful red coloring to it with very mild carbonation. Head retention is good, with 1 to 2 cm that produces lovely Belgian lace. It smells of hops and malt, but the hops are the predominating aroma. It has a well ballanced taste, for something that is called "HopDevil"; the hops are definitly there, but I was plesantly suprised to have such a balance of the two. It is smooth & begs you for another sip, but be careful with this one at 6.7% ABV. An excellent beer by all respects. (511 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour immediately overcome with a division of tiny spherical parachuters rocketing in reverse. Smell is damp with rich but distant foam of raisin. After several the head seems to form a Mandlebrot formation on the glass. Hops, of course. The alcohol is faint in a warmth that spreads across the palate. Could be more voluptuous, but I like them skinny. Certainly enough to work with. Droopy lacing follows but the parachuters keep coming long as I can manage to contain myself. (476 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pouring the beer into my pint glass, the beer pous clean and smooth with not much head.

The smell of hops and citrus is apparent fresh, smells light.

The beer has a full good IPA taste and it tastes great.

It has a VERY smooth taste in your mouth. Very crisp, I love it.

I really like this IPA, I will definately be looking for it again. (344 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Another one of those beers that has come so close to having the perfect amount of hops! This beer is by far on the top 10 list that my roommates and myself created. Great flavor with out any of the baggage, I've had hoppy beers that taste kind of on the sweeter side - not this one. Great job Victory! (301 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a 12oz into a frozen pint.

Short, active head that dissipated fast. Smells like a boatload of hops with some malty backnotes. Comes across like an autumn beer.

Tastes quite the opposite. Hops to the face! Full on hop flower flavor that lingers long and smooth. Supreme lacing for the style. Burns a bit, in a good way. Astringent almost. Not getting many flavors besides the hops, but... el diablo, right?

Nice with spicy food. Or a sox/yankees game. Start with something less hoppy and ease into this one =) (518 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company