Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,453 | Hads: 6,975
4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour immediately overcome with a division of tiny spherical parachuters rocketing in reverse. Smell is damp with rich but distant foam of raisin. After several the head seems to form a Mandlebrot formation on the glass. Hops, of course. The alcohol is faint in a warmth that spreads across the palate. Could be more voluptuous, but I like them skinny. Certainly enough to work with. Droopy lacing follows but the parachuters keep coming long as I can manage to contain myself.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pouring the beer into my pint glass, the beer pous clean and smooth with not much head.

The smell of hops and citrus is apparent fresh, smells light.

The beer has a full good IPA taste and it tastes great.

It has a VERY smooth taste in your mouth. Very crisp, I love it.

I really like this IPA, I will definately be looking for it again.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Another one of those beers that has come so close to having the perfect amount of hops! This beer is by far on the top 10 list that my roommates and myself created. Great flavor with out any of the baggage, I've had hoppy beers that taste kind of on the sweeter side - not this one. Great job Victory!

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a 12oz into a frozen pint.

Short, active head that dissipated fast. Smells like a boatload of hops with some malty backnotes. Comes across like an autumn beer.

Tastes quite the opposite. Hops to the face! Full on hop flower flavor that lingers long and smooth. Supreme lacing for the style. Burns a bit, in a good way. Astringent almost. Not getting many flavors besides the hops, but... el diablo, right?

Nice with spicy food. Or a sox/yankees game. Start with something less hoppy and ease into this one =)

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Best by date of April 16th poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice clear amber with good lacing.

My nose has been ruined lately by all the Hopslam and Double Trouble, but I still pick up some mild hop aroma and malt.

With a name like HopDevil I was expecting more up front, but I really like the finish. Very smooth sweet malty finish with hoppy bitterness coming through at the very end.

Very easy to drink. I could easily drink a number of these in the course of a night. Solid offering.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Dark orange almost copper. Decent head action, stuck around for a while.

S - Smells dark and spicy. A tad of orange maybe grapefruit. Definitely getting the bready malt smell. Strong hop presence but not a very pleasant one. Not too impressed.

T - Definitely better than the smell. Strong bite up front that coats your tongue. Sticks around for a while. The spice you get on the smell comes through in the taste but it's not as strong and it is better balanced with fruity flavors; more grapefruit in the taste than on the smell which is nice. When everything settles down it leaves a very pleasant piney taste.

M - Pretty dry. Coats your tongue but not the whole mouth like some IPAs. Doesn't feel heavy, very drinkable.

O - I'm into this beer but am not crazy about it. It's more about hopping the hell out of the beer than balancing the flavors. If you're not a hop head there is no reason for you to pick up this brew.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: lovely coppery red. Off white head with nice retention. Lacing leaves a great sponge patterned lacing.

S: stale, bread, slightly skunky with a hint of pine, honey and floral undertones.

T: Wonderful hop bitterness quickly followed by pine and finished with a bread floral aftertaste.

M: smooth, nicely carbonated.

O: Enjoyable IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had people tell me this is their favorite beer--I don't put it into that category but it still tastes darn good.

A: It pours a light amber color.
S & T: The smell and taste and some significant fruit undertones, so if you don't like that, stay away. As the name suggests, it's hoppy! First sip is delicious with a drier finish than one might expect. I like an IPA that's lip-smacking wet. This isn't quite that.
Overall: Out of the many options at the liquor store, I find myself regularly buying this beer. It's really tasty and a solid stand by if I'm not in the mood to get too adventurous with something new.

I can't agree with those who list this beer as their fave, but I'd put it in my top 15-20 IPAs.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

A- dark amber, lasting head, delicate ephemeral lacing
S - piney, citrusy
T - bitter...no sweet...no spicy...no, wait bitter again...
M - smooth, balanced carbonation, clean finish
D - 5.0 exceptional, never disappointing

With apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...

To 007, she was always the beer. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her style. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for HopDevil. All emotions,and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a beer-lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer.

They were admirable things for the observer -- excellent for drawing the veil from beer's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted palate was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his results. And yet there was but one beer to him, and that beer was the great HopDevil.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

After my brother-in-laws wedding I gave a pint to the Priest who officiated the ceromony. He was as tempted by the Hop Devil as I am.

This is a very enjoyable and refreshing beer, especially on a hot summer night. Very rich and hoppy in flavor, beautiful color and a bitter finish. It also has a hoppy, bitter aroma. Some citrus notes (clementine?).

Overall, this is one beer that is almost always in my fridge and one that is more universally liked by my friends.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured with two fingers of white head that lingered and has good lacing. The beer is a darker amber color. The smell was that of hops. This beer has a great taste of hops with a moderate amount of bitterness. This is one of my favorite beers and it is great having the brewery 45 minutes away.

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

I'm drinking it right now....yep, that's downright tasty. Any attempt I make to put the tasting experience into words will simply denegrate the experience and would be laden with subjective inference.
Enjoy it for yourself sometime...I can't possibly convey to you the joy this particular beer has provided me...and you will never really taste THIS particular beer anyway...

As Heraclitus said: we never drink the same beer twice.

Drink well.

1.83/5  rDev -55%

Used to love this beer while living in PA. Don't understand what happened to this beer. Apperance: great. An aluring dark amber color. Smell is also good. Taste: nasty metallic after taste. What happened to this beer? Definitely down hill from previous offerings. What went wrong?

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%

I've heard great things but only have been able to try a lackluster old bottle, until last weekend at the Wild Horse Cafe in Beverly I had a draft. Nice APA. Hops nose was not as pronounced as the hop flavor which was strong and complex/deep. Slight ashen flavor from the yeast, and the malt was typical for the style. A nice entry in the category and surely drinkable, but not quite blown away as some folks seem to be. Could be fermented cleaner as it had a slight funk to it.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured a tan/orange color with a decent head which faded after a couple of minutes.

S: The smell grabbed my attention. Clean, hoppy, sweet, citrus.

T: Good, but didn't match my expectations. Somewhat bitter (moreso in the finish) with a clean, green taste. I was hoping for more hop flavor here but then again I prefer double IPAs.

M: medium/light body. Crisp, clean.

D: good session beer. I could put severl of these away over the course of an evening. There's better out there but if this is readily available it's a nice choice.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Crystal clear copper elixir, with a nice 1" creamy head. The head rapidly disipates to a thin layer with lacing on the sides.

S: Hops don't assault my olfactories as much as I like for an IPA, though the label reads hopback rather than dryhopping, so could explain the lack of aroma -- more muted than in-your-face.

T: Nice and bitter. Well balanced against just the right amount of maltiness. A little light on the hop flavor, though. Probably the hopback vs. dry-hopping thing again.

M: Just the right amount of chewiness here. Not thin and bodiless like some of the IPAs I've had lately.

Definitely a buy-again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

The best hop profile in a single IPA, bar none. I use this beer as a measuring stick for other IPAs. If I were to summarize the essence of HopDevil in one word, it would be "balance".

There is a decent amount of hop bitterness, but also much more of the floral, citrus hop notes that really balance things out.

Anyone can make a super bitter beer, just as anyone can paint on a canvas.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Drank from a standard pint glass from a home keg dispenser. Pours a full head with lasting lacing. Colors is a dark amber. Smell is hoppy, and burnt. After the smell you would think it would be quite strong, but the back-end taste is exceptionally smooth.

As for an IPA I would suggest, and rate quite high.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

A - clear, amber...not much action in it.

S - a bit resiny for me.

T - very crisp, some sharp hop flavors and a hint of pine. NO lingering aftertaste, which is OK by me.

M - Lighter on the tongue thane expected, perhaps a but flat.

D - I prefer a little more body and smoothness of my IPA, but certainly a better than average one. I would keep this is my fridge for an all-purpose beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

This is a very interesting beer to me. It is certainly not one of my favorites, but still a very quality beer from an objective point of view. I bought it hoping to find something like an IPA but alas it was much maltier than I had expected. Still good though, definitely has a broad array of flavors.

Appearance. Clear and very orange, head is extremely light and goes away within one minute. Leaves no lacing worth mention.

Smell. Certainly malty, but not a "hoppy" as I expected from a beer called "HopDevil." It smells fairly sweet as well, and I would say it is also pretty roasty.

Taste. It actually tastes almost exactly as it smells. Roasty, malty, and unfortunately for me, lacking in Hops. It is slightly bitter, but that is not the main flavor that comes through. The first thing I taste is the maltyness which is then overtaken by a citrusy sweetness (alcohol content possibly) and finally a little hops at the end. Not bad, not great though.

Mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is close to perfect, not super carbonated but very fitting for the style.

Drinkability. The drinkability has taken a hit because of how malty and roasty it is. I really can't see myself drinking more than one per sitting.

Although this is a good beer, I am, shall I say, disappointed. This is like getting the wrong salad dressing. Say for example I like Italian and Tomato Vinaigrette. I ask for Italian and expect Italian but instead I get the Tomato Vinaigrette. It's a flavor I don't expect which makes it strange and a little disappointing. I expected this to be super hopsy but it wasn't. I like the beer but it is not what I had expected.

Note After Review - I just looked at the date, it is past its "drink by" date. I do not know if this contributed to my dissatisfaction, but I will keep an eye out and edit this review if my opinion changes.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A- Beautiful amber in color, looks very appealing to me.

S- This beer smells fantastic. I love the aroma, you can smell some serious hop action. There's also a nice tone of citrus/floral. Smelling it makes me want to drink more every time.

T- The taste is fantastic. I love hops, so this beer is very pleasing to me. Its a nice punch of hops with a nice citrus/floral taste that doesnt become overpowering.

M- Great Bite

O- Great taste, powerful hops. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit, and will be picking it up again. If you like hoppy beers, specifically IPAs then I would also give this a shot.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This showed up at my local liquor store so I decided to try it out.

Served from a bottle to a chilled pint glass

A - Beautiful golden/red coloring, slightly cloudy. Head on this is about 1/2 inch thick and frothy/bubbly. Nice lines of carbonation running up from the bottom of the glass to the top...Spectacular looking beer. Lacing down the glass with every sip.

S - Citrus and hops, but not overpowering... they are subtle. Traces of clove... may be? Sweet and aromatic.

T - Just, phenomenal. What you would expect from a "hoppy" beer, but the hops don't smack you in the face. Some grapefruit in the aftertaste... a refreshing and delicious beer. One of the best tasting American IPA's I have ever had. The malts smooth out the power of the hops ever so elegantly...

M- Smooth... easy to go down... with good after taste, but not residually "sticky". Certainly not a beer you need to chew, nor one that you need a chaser for... and the "after sip" is pleasant enough that you can further enjoy the beer.

O - One of the best American IPA's I've ever had.... if not one of the best beers I've ever had. Well balanced and delicious. At the end of the day... it comes down to "do I enjoy drinking this beer?"... and this one... is a the top of my must have list.

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this...

A - dark golden color with 1 finger head that fades over time, alot of lacing.

S - smell is of sweet malts and some citrus hops.

T - citrus grapefruit hops. Slight bitter finish that goes away after a short while.

M - Full body beer with medium carbonation, feels good in the mouth.

O - Very good beer, with a good balance of flavors. Very lucky to live near the brewery. Picked up a 1/6 keg for the first time. Enjoyable.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Well carbonated deep orange copper color with a dense white head. Relatively clear, it seems to glow.

Nose: Robust pine with citrus undertones and a few earthy notes. It smells sweet and lightly caramel. Like hope candy.

Taste: medium bodied, pale and toasty malt taste with a subtle grainy character. Hop flavor coats the palate as it moves through the mouth, the aromas float off the tongue and match well with the nose. Leaves a bitter tingle throughout the mouth as the sharper hop characters settle in.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company