Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,459 | Hads: 7,011
4.03/5  rDev -1%

Glassware: Pint glass

Appearance: Orange amber color with a head that stuck around for little bit of time

Smell: The smell is chock full of hops but also with some other smell I can't quite put my finger on.

Taste: Definitely a good amount of hops along with some sweetness after swallowing, I can taste a little bit of raisin and some other sweetness.

Overall: A balanced beer with some good hoppy bitterness involved. The bitter overpowers the beer a little but still overall well balanced. Not too heavy. Nice IPA to sit back and watch tourny basketball

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

I have had this before and liked it but it was always close to the enjoy by date. I found this fresher batch (enjoy by Sept 26 2011) at one of the local liquor stores that previously didn't carry it so without hesitation grabbed a sixer. With the menacing devil staring me down I start this review.

12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass. The color is a gorgeous amber with a khaki head that faded rather quickly. However a quick swirl around the glass brought it back but again no retention.

The aroma is a little weak to me with sweet caramel malts coming out and like a few others have said a spice I can't identify but it is not off putting.

The taste is really good. It starts off sweet and malty but then the hops introduce themselves and interrupt the malt but not rudely. The previously mentioned mystery spice is part of the flavor as well but like the aroma does not hinder the enjoyment. Make no mistake, the finish is hops and a pleasant bitterness but certainly not as hoppy as the name Hop Devil would suggest.

The mouthfeel is creamy and lightly carbonated but the carbonation fades quickly which disappointed me a little. Not too thick, not too thin and the flavors do work the palate nicely.

Overall I love this beer when fresh but only like it when its a little dated. I love a lot of Victory's beers and fresh Hop Devil is no exception. Newbies to the aggressive hop ales will probably not like this beer (imho) but I sure do.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a light amber color.

S- A strong hoppy aroma, slightly sweet.

T- Well balanced blend of hops and spices.

M- The taste of spices linger with a strong hoppy aftertaste.

O- Powerful tasting, yet very drinkable IPA. My favorite ale from Victory. This is the ale that really sparked my interest in drinking microbrews.

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass)

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance-wise, this poured a little haze. Medium amber in color, with a small head that dissipated to lace rather quickly. On the nose, it has a spicy citrus character. The hops were definitely immediately apparent. I found that the palate had a very pleasant hoppy character without being too bitter. However, the finish had a somewhat bready, malty character that made me think this bottle might have been a tad stale. The feel was very pleasant--a nice, crisp bite with no apparent flaws.

Overall this was a very pleasant beer and remains a staple of my everyday-drinking IPA lineup.

I can't add much more about appearance that has not already been said. I admit it, I am a hophead. I love IPAs -- Bass, of course, the first, then I was introduced to the local brew in Harpoon IPA back when it was a seasonal. Then came Tremont, Shipyard Fuggles, Sam Adams, etc. Traveling I savored Bridgeport IPA, Goose Island IPA, and Rogue Brutal Bitter, but, sadly, they are not available in MA. Then one chilly evening I found Victory Hop Devil in my favorite "packy" (Macy's).

I see that some have mentioned Stone in the same breath as Hop Devil; I can't compare, as Stone in $10 a six as opposed to $7 for Hop Devil. However, I find it difficult to believe that it is $3 better. Hop Devil smells wonderful, and tastes even better. Feels great on the tongue, and rolls down smoothly. The only problem is that its so good and refreshing it's hard to to sip!

If you like your ale on the hoppy side, you can't go wrong with Hop Devil. It's as good as any out there, and better than most...and I swore by Harpoon for years!

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Victory HopDevil Ale has a beautiful red coloring to it with very mild carbonation. Head retention is good, with 1 to 2 cm that produces lovely Belgian lace. It smells of hops and malt, but the hops are the predominating aroma. It has a well ballanced taste, for something that is called "HopDevil"; the hops are definitly there, but I was plesantly suprised to have such a balance of the two. It is smooth & begs you for another sip, but be careful with this one at 6.7% ABV. An excellent beer by all respects.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour immediately overcome with a division of tiny spherical parachuters rocketing in reverse. Smell is damp with rich but distant foam of raisin. After several the head seems to form a Mandlebrot formation on the glass. Hops, of course. The alcohol is faint in a warmth that spreads across the palate. Could be more voluptuous, but I like them skinny. Certainly enough to work with. Droopy lacing follows but the parachuters keep coming long as I can manage to contain myself.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pouring the beer into my pint glass, the beer pous clean and smooth with not much head.

The smell of hops and citrus is apparent fresh, smells light.

The beer has a full good IPA taste and it tastes great.

It has a VERY smooth taste in your mouth. Very crisp, I love it.

I really like this IPA, I will definately be looking for it again.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Another one of those beers that has come so close to having the perfect amount of hops! This beer is by far on the top 10 list that my roommates and myself created. Great flavor with out any of the baggage, I've had hoppy beers that taste kind of on the sweeter side - not this one. Great job Victory!

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a 12oz into a frozen pint.

Short, active head that dissipated fast. Smells like a boatload of hops with some malty backnotes. Comes across like an autumn beer.

Tastes quite the opposite. Hops to the face! Full on hop flower flavor that lingers long and smooth. Supreme lacing for the style. Burns a bit, in a good way. Astringent almost. Not getting many flavors besides the hops, but... el diablo, right?

Nice with spicy food. Or a sox/yankees game. Start with something less hoppy and ease into this one =)

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Best by date of April 16th poured into a tulip.

Pours a nice clear amber with good lacing.

My nose has been ruined lately by all the Hopslam and Double Trouble, but I still pick up some mild hop aroma and malt.

With a name like HopDevil I was expecting more up front, but I really like the finish. Very smooth sweet malty finish with hoppy bitterness coming through at the very end.

Very easy to drink. I could easily drink a number of these in the course of a night. Solid offering.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Dark orange almost copper. Decent head action, stuck around for a while.

S - Smells dark and spicy. A tad of orange maybe grapefruit. Definitely getting the bready malt smell. Strong hop presence but not a very pleasant one. Not too impressed.

T - Definitely better than the smell. Strong bite up front that coats your tongue. Sticks around for a while. The spice you get on the smell comes through in the taste but it's not as strong and it is better balanced with fruity flavors; more grapefruit in the taste than on the smell which is nice. When everything settles down it leaves a very pleasant piney taste.

M - Pretty dry. Coats your tongue but not the whole mouth like some IPAs. Doesn't feel heavy, very drinkable.

O - I'm into this beer but am not crazy about it. It's more about hopping the hell out of the beer than balancing the flavors. If you're not a hop head there is no reason for you to pick up this brew.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: lovely coppery red. Off white head with nice retention. Lacing leaves a great sponge patterned lacing.

S: stale, bread, slightly skunky with a hint of pine, honey and floral undertones.

T: Wonderful hop bitterness quickly followed by pine and finished with a bread floral aftertaste.

M: smooth, nicely carbonated.

O: Enjoyable IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had people tell me this is their favorite beer--I don't put it into that category but it still tastes darn good.

A: It pours a light amber color.
S & T: The smell and taste and some significant fruit undertones, so if you don't like that, stay away. As the name suggests, it's hoppy! First sip is delicious with a drier finish than one might expect. I like an IPA that's lip-smacking wet. This isn't quite that.
Overall: Out of the many options at the liquor store, I find myself regularly buying this beer. It's really tasty and a solid stand by if I'm not in the mood to get too adventurous with something new.

I can't agree with those who list this beer as their fave, but I'd put it in my top 15-20 IPAs.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

A- dark amber, lasting head, delicate ephemeral lacing
S - piney, citrusy
T - bitter...no sweet...no spicy...no, wait bitter again...
M - smooth, balanced carbonation, clean finish
D - 5.0 exceptional, never disappointing

With apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...

To 007, she was always the beer. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her style. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for HopDevil. All emotions,and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a beer-lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer.

They were admirable things for the observer -- excellent for drawing the veil from beer's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted palate was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his results. And yet there was but one beer to him, and that beer was the great HopDevil.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

After my brother-in-laws wedding I gave a pint to the Priest who officiated the ceromony. He was as tempted by the Hop Devil as I am.

This is a very enjoyable and refreshing beer, especially on a hot summer night. Very rich and hoppy in flavor, beautiful color and a bitter finish. It also has a hoppy, bitter aroma. Some citrus notes (clementine?).

Overall, this is one beer that is almost always in my fridge and one that is more universally liked by my friends.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured with two fingers of white head that lingered and has good lacing. The beer is a darker amber color. The smell was that of hops. This beer has a great taste of hops with a moderate amount of bitterness. This is one of my favorite beers and it is great having the brewery 45 minutes away.

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

I'm drinking it right now....yep, that's downright tasty. Any attempt I make to put the tasting experience into words will simply denegrate the experience and would be laden with subjective inference.
Enjoy it for yourself sometime...I can't possibly convey to you the joy this particular beer has provided me...and you will never really taste THIS particular beer anyway...

As Heraclitus said: we never drink the same beer twice.

Drink well.

1.83/5  rDev -55%

Used to love this beer while living in PA. Don't understand what happened to this beer. Apperance: great. An aluring dark amber color. Smell is also good. Taste: nasty metallic after taste. What happened to this beer? Definitely down hill from previous offerings. What went wrong?

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%

I've heard great things but only have been able to try a lackluster old bottle, until last weekend at the Wild Horse Cafe in Beverly I had a draft. Nice APA. Hops nose was not as pronounced as the hop flavor which was strong and complex/deep. Slight ashen flavor from the yeast, and the malt was typical for the style. A nice entry in the category and surely drinkable, but not quite blown away as some folks seem to be. Could be fermented cleaner as it had a slight funk to it.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured a tan/orange color with a decent head which faded after a couple of minutes.

S: The smell grabbed my attention. Clean, hoppy, sweet, citrus.

T: Good, but didn't match my expectations. Somewhat bitter (moreso in the finish) with a clean, green taste. I was hoping for more hop flavor here but then again I prefer double IPAs.

M: medium/light body. Crisp, clean.

D: good session beer. I could put severl of these away over the course of an evening. There's better out there but if this is readily available it's a nice choice.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Crystal clear copper elixir, with a nice 1" creamy head. The head rapidly disipates to a thin layer with lacing on the sides.

S: Hops don't assault my olfactories as much as I like for an IPA, though the label reads hopback rather than dryhopping, so could explain the lack of aroma -- more muted than in-your-face.

T: Nice and bitter. Well balanced against just the right amount of maltiness. A little light on the hop flavor, though. Probably the hopback vs. dry-hopping thing again.

M: Just the right amount of chewiness here. Not thin and bodiless like some of the IPAs I've had lately.

Definitely a buy-again.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

The best hop profile in a single IPA, bar none. I use this beer as a measuring stick for other IPAs. If I were to summarize the essence of HopDevil in one word, it would be "balance".

There is a decent amount of hop bitterness, but also much more of the floral, citrus hop notes that really balance things out.

Anyone can make a super bitter beer, just as anyone can paint on a canvas.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Drank from a standard pint glass from a home keg dispenser. Pours a full head with lasting lacing. Colors is a dark amber. Smell is hoppy, and burnt. After the smell you would think it would be quite strong, but the back-end taste is exceptionally smooth.

As for an IPA I would suggest, and rate quite high.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

A - clear, amber...not much action in it.

S - a bit resiny for me.

T - very crisp, some sharp hop flavors and a hint of pine. NO lingering aftertaste, which is OK by me.

M - Lighter on the tongue thane expected, perhaps a but flat.

D - I prefer a little more body and smoothness of my IPA, but certainly a better than average one. I would keep this is my fridge for an all-purpose beer.

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company