Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Devil Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,429 | Hads: 6,867
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A- Beautiful amber in color, looks very appealing to me.

S- This beer smells fantastic. I love the aroma, you can smell some serious hop action. There's also a nice tone of citrus/floral. Smelling it makes me want to drink more every time.

T- The taste is fantastic. I love hops, so this beer is very pleasing to me. Its a nice punch of hops with a nice citrus/floral taste that doesnt become overpowering.

M- Great Bite

O- Great taste, powerful hops. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit, and will be picking it up again. If you like hoppy beers, specifically IPAs then I would also give this a shot. (601 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This showed up at my local liquor store so I decided to try it out.

Served from a bottle to a chilled pint glass

A - Beautiful golden/red coloring, slightly cloudy. Head on this is about 1/2 inch thick and frothy/bubbly. Nice lines of carbonation running up from the bottom of the glass to the top...Spectacular looking beer. Lacing down the glass with every sip.

S - Citrus and hops, but not overpowering... they are subtle. Traces of clove... may be? Sweet and aromatic.

T - Just, phenomenal. What you would expect from a "hoppy" beer, but the hops don't smack you in the face. Some grapefruit in the aftertaste... a refreshing and delicious beer. One of the best tasting American IPA's I have ever had. The malts smooth out the power of the hops ever so elegantly...

M- Smooth... easy to go down... with good after taste, but not residually "sticky". Certainly not a beer you need to chew, nor one that you need a chaser for... and the "after sip" is pleasant enough that you can further enjoy the beer.

O - One of the best American IPA's I've ever had.... if not one of the best beers I've ever had. Well balanced and delicious. At the end of the day... it comes down to "do I enjoy drinking this beer?"... and this one... is a the top of my must have list. (1,269 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

gorgeous crystalline toffee color with 1/2 in. head, receding fast. aromatically challenged, wound up tight. fresh baked bread with concord grape jam, burnt popcorn, perfume counter at the mall on the nose. medium mouthfeel with disappearing to zero midpalate that transitions into short sappy bark plummy abrupt finish. big pazzz on this... (341 characters)

A - dark golden color with 1 finger head that fades over time, alot of lacing.

S - smell is of sweet malts and some citrus hops.

T - citrus grapefruit hops. Slight bitter finish that goes away after a short while.

M - Full body beer with medium carbonation, feels good in the mouth.

O - Very good beer, with a good balance of flavors. Very lucky to live near the brewery. Picked up a 1/6 keg for the first time. Enjoyable. (430 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Well carbonated deep orange copper color with a dense white head. Relatively clear, it seems to glow.

Nose: Robust pine with citrus undertones and a few earthy notes. It smells sweet and lightly caramel. Like hope candy.

Taste: medium bodied, pale and toasty malt taste with a subtle grainy character. Hop flavor coats the palate as it moves through the mouth, the aromas float off the tongue and match well with the nose. Leaves a bitter tingle throughout the mouth as the sharper hop characters settle in. (522 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had the draft-nitro @ Fountainhead tonight and it was like a hopped up marshmallow. I will wither away of old age before the frothy/creamy head on this goes down.

So cool to tame the bitterness of the hops w/the nitro and still remain damn tasty. Killer w/the gorganzola burger, too.

Bottle w/drink by date of 06/13.

Nice amber in the glass w/decent lacing. A very nice looking beer.

The nose is a bit perfumey. The hops are there, but, it's got a lilac & hop combo thing.

The flavors are pretty standard IPA - hoppy and bitter and not much else. Lacks any interesting factor and fairly one dimensional.

Overall - I'd recommend to someone who has never had an IPA and wants to try a basic, no-frills beer w/the two basic components of the India Pale Ale - hops and bitterness.

Basically a Hop Czar for a few bucks more. (827 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle, poured into glass. Bought at Henrietta Wegman's.

A: Nothing exceptional, nice amber color. Initially small amount of good foam that fades into a thin ring but lingers on the glass.

S: Huge blast of hops, notes of citrus. Pungent level of hoppiness, but that's it's appeal.

T: Incredibly powerful hop flavor. I've had a lot of pale ales and IPAs but this is likely the biggest hop punch I've tasted. The malt is present in the background but stays in the background - hops are a little bitter and do leave a very strong aftertaste. This is definitely a hop-lover's choice.

M: Good level of carbonation and thickness, not particularly memorable one way or the other (which could be a good thing).

O: I really admire the beer's boldness. Huge, huge hop kick. The beer is surprisingly balanced in spite of it - even as someone who's not a huge fan of IPAs, I definitely appreciate the uncompromising nature of the hops. This beer knows who it's for and aims to please them (and it will).

Get it if you love hops. (1,024 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Had at Shannon Rose in Woodbridge,NJ. Appearance is a hazy copper. Retains some head throughout with some bubbles.

Smell is more woodsy. A lot of citrus. The lime and orange are what stands out the most to me.

Taste is spicy. Seems like a more bitter Sierra Nevada. Big hops and the citrus blends very well with them. Get a lot of orange in the taste.

Mouthfeel is that its a moderately heavy beer. For 7 percent the alcohol hides very well. The aftertaste lingers for a while but its pleasant.

Overall, this is a very good beer. Good balance of hops and citrus. The alcohol isnt too powerful. Victory is close to me. Havent really explored there variety but might have to after trying this one. (699 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A: a deep copper colored ale

S: caramel and pine, a tiny bit of chocolate

T: lots of upfront bitterness that lasts throughout the sip,

M: the caramel is very big in this beer, but not a whole lot else going on

O not bad, I venture to say my beer wasn't as fresh as one would desire. Lots of hop oils left on the back of the tongue. Probably will not buy again. I taste lots of centennial bbut not much else. I've had and made better. (437 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

First bottle of this ever and all I can say is WOW.

Appearance: Least impressive thing about this beer. Not much head but that doesn't always reflect on the quality of the beer.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Permeates a rich and sweet hoppy aroma with a hints of caramel malt and wheat barley

Taste: Is a little offsetting at first because of the rich notes of Wheat and Earthy Hops but grows quickly as the glass empties. A little more bitter than your regular IPA. Caramel is very tasteful in its presence and complements the wheat/hops taste. Think I tasted a hint of Vanilla but maybe I'm dreaming. Still the best IPA taste-wise I've had.

Mouthfeel: Delightfully smooth and elegant. Very swishable but yet a beer you want to drown in.

Overall: Victory does know how to brew an IPA. This is a rich and hoppy brew that will be a constant favorite. Not necessarily a novice IPA but that is probably a good thing. The Caramel tones are second to no other IPA. (980 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this beer in a sample box containing the Lager, Prima Pils, and Golden Monkey (which I would also highly reccomend). This beer is very smooth with an excellent, almost sweet aftertaste. The initial taste is slightly spicy, but hardly overwhelming. It is otherwise rich in flavor and almost 'thick' for lack of a better term in consistency. To me, this is a perfect 'after work' beer. (395 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%

a: unfortunately i let this one cool too long and came close to freezing it, BUT had the copper/amber color and a nice head that lasted with a hazy clarity

s: the usual hoppy smell

t: swift taste of citrus to cover the palate. the tingle faded to a nice sweet hoppy and alcohol taste that lasted throughout

m: i liked the way the flavor lasted on the tongue, other beers that taste similar at first, either dried out or over flavored the palate.

d: definitely a keeper. liked this one from beginning to end and next time will get a sixer. (550 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

The Victory Hop Devil displays a clear, leather like color. Very nice. The head retains a lacing throughout. The aroma is strong piney, citrusy hops with an enticing malt sweetness. Body is medium with slightly above average carbonation which works perfectly for the beer. The taste is that crisp, fresh, citrus hop taste and a delicious bitterness that tells me those beautiful little cones went into the boil good and early. Your girlfriend who drinks Blue Moon won't like this beer. There is a nice sweet malt follow up that perfectly complements the hop dominance. Bottom Line: This is a top five IPA for an East Coast fella like myself. You will have to scour the continent to find a better IPA. Anything Victory puts out is going to be good and this is one of their best. (777 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

Finger head with a small bit of lacing.

Smelled very heavy of hops.

Taste was full of hops, almost overpowering.

Offers a good mouthful.

Have to be a hop lover to truly enjoy this beer.

Would only buy if I were in the mood for a hoppy evening. (275 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: hazy with two fingers head good lacing

S: piny, citrusy, refreshing

T: Little bite in the front that mellows with hoppy-ness throughout, well balanced, keeps you interested

M: coats without being too sticky, wakes you up

O: a delicious brew, not too hoppy despite the name, but hits on all the right notes (313 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Purchased at the Meijer in Grove City. Only place local that stocks HopDevil.

Music for this review is "Punk Rocker" (Feat. Iggy Pop) by the Teddybears.

A: Aggressive pour into my hand-washed and air-dried (I'm a tad obsessive) Duvel tulip beckons a lingering rocky two-finger head. New penny copper in color. Swirl produces substantial lacing.

S: Cry havoc and let slip the hops of war! Huge, anti-BMC freeballin' spicy hippy hops. Pine and spice more than herbal, I think. I revere hoppy beer so I have danced with this Devil many, many times.

T: Hops up front. Lots of spice. It's called "HopDevil" for a reason. I get some apricot/peach notes. Caramel. This is a "juicy" IPA. Slight pepper. Sweet finish.

M: Oily.

D: If you like hops, you will like this IPA.

I consider Victory's HopDevil a classic American IPA. (823 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This may be THE classic American IPA (at least for us East Coasters). Big hops in your nose and rolling across your tongue, but a nice malty backbone to support it. It's closing in on 20 years since I drank my first bottle of Hop Devil and crowned it the best India Pale Ale I'd ever had, and it remains one of my favorite IPAs still today. (340 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a standard American pint glass. Medium sized head to it. A deep amber color. A bitter piney scent under woody cherry tones. Tastes oak, a sharp bitter taste, hoppy taste, but not as hoppy in scent.

Has the standard IPA feel to it, typical of (if one so calls it) an America IPA. Bitter with lots of hop appeal. Yet the hoppiness only comes through on the drink, the scent (which I feel is most important in an IPA) is not as prevalent on other beers such as Brooklyn or Blue Points Hopnotical (which is great BTW).

Too bitter on the mouth, which decreases the enjoyment of the actual drink. Has a crunchieness to it, with what seems like a very cherry flavored and lemon twist?

Overall a very confusing beer, yet has its upside as good hoppy tasteing beer, but not something I would want to go out of my way to drink often.

Victory's Prima Pils is another story! (886 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured amber into imperial pint glass. White head dissapates but good lacing intact. Hops come out in the smell but not as strong as the name would suggest. Very well balanced in the taste, huge hops with enough malt to get you through to the sweet aftertaste. At 6.7% these might be a little too easy to drink. (311 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

The bar I sometimes, kinda DJ at was out of my usual Shiner Bock, so I asked the bar maid to surprise me. This is what she brought me.

A brown 12 oz long neck bottle with a blue label that has a really cool picture of a devil made from hop leaves.

I couldn't find a birth date.

A: It poured a medium amber color. Thick rich cream colored head with pretty good retention that leaves some light lacing all the way down.

S: HOPS! Also some citrus.

T: Damn that's a strong ale! It truely is a hop devil! Some citrus comes out along with a little bit of coffee. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but try as I might, I just can't seem to detect any malt.

MF: this beer overwhelms your taste buds, it feels very rich and full

D: I don't think I could drink more than a couple three of these, but it is a very enjoyable change of pace for a non-hop head (867 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Have had this IPA from both a bottle and a growler, since one of my friends lives right near the brewery in Downingtown, PA. This review was written during/after several glasses that I poured out of growler transported from Downingtown to State College, PA.

Lacy head, pours one to two fingers out of the growler - a bit more if you mistakenly pour too fast.

Orange amber color is nice, although I prefer unfiltered offerings and this one seems to be partially filtered.

Fruity/citrous overtones are present, in addition to the ever present hop scent, which makes this one of the better smelling beers that I consume on a regular basis.

Nice hoppy taste, but not overpowering, as in some IPA's or DIPA's. The citrous comes through only vaguely during consumption. This is clearly not a fruity wheat beer with hops added as an afterthought.

The aftertaste of this beer is most pleasing to my palate. It's not an overpowering hop flavor, but the hops are clearly evident long after you've put the glass down!

I could drink many glasses of this without batting an eye. I can't say that for a lot of other IPA's that I've tried. For an East Coast person that has limited access to West Coast IPA's, which are more numerous and generally higher in caliber, this beer is a winner. It ranks up there with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA as my favorite "local" IPA. I also recommend Troegs Hopback Amber Ale. (1,401 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +10.8%

This is a really great IPA. Personally I have enjoyed nearly all of Victory's brews, great stuff in general.
Not as aromatic as some ipa's but, just the right amount of smell.
Not as hoppy as some stronger ipa's, but a really good amount. Tastes bitter yet still a little hint of sweetness.
Goes down easy, and the not overly bitter taste resides in the mouth for a good while.
Very drinkable, I kinda want another one. Really enjoyed this beer, definitely going to get a 6-er next time I visit the store. (507 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

I like this beer,I love hops.not much else to say.Nice Orangeish colour & a bubbly rise when I set the bottle back down.
I would recommend this beer to anyone out there.Really the Quality shines throughly on this one.I wish My local store sold other varietys from that brewer cause I looked on bottom of carrying sleeve & some other ones they make sounded delicouios! (367 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This was a 12oz bottle from a case I picked up at Tanczos in Bethlehem. There was no bottled date, but it is clearly labeled on the bottle and the case to drink by 6/14/11. Opened with my trusty Homer Simpson bottle opener and poured into a pint glass.

A- Slight head with a very nice copper color. Small carbonation bubbles rise to the top throughout the duration of the drink

S- Citrus scent of hops and a hint of sweet malts

T- an abundance of flavors. Hop flavor throughout is balanced nicely with the sweetness from the malts. Surprisingly complex. I get a little something different from this each time I drink it

M- medium bodied and quite smooth

D- Solid overall. These always go down quite easily. I'd have no problem tossing back several of these at a time (trust me, I have). (791 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16%

A: Fake amber orange-ish color.

S: Smells very hoppy, but at the same time it smells like a relative farted in your face.

T: Luckily, it tastes much better than it smells although it is very bitter. Too bitter even for a hophead like myself. Only reason I even drink this beer is because it has the perfect alcohol content at 6.7% abv. The only reason I'm even reviewing this beer is because of the mouthfeel which is came as a real shocker.

M: A real spicy bite to this one. Very bitter but the bite is so fierce that it numbs the tongue enabling one to drink a second one. This is by far the most appealing quality to this beer.

O: If the other aspects of the beer were up to par with the alc. content and the mouthfeel, this beer would be an A+, however, since the mouthfeel is so exceptional I'd have to say this aint such a bad beer overall. (850 characters)

Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company