Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Hop Devil AleHop Devil Ale

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,684 | Reviews: 2,451

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

I grew up in PA and every time I go back to visit I pick up a case of this. It is what I judge all other American IPA's against. Pours a rich golden-burgundy with an off-white head that rises and slowly falls to a solid film that laces all down the glass. It smells of piney citrus, but not in the same fresh biting way that a lot of IPA's come off. This one has more of a mellow and rich smell that rides atop a grainy backbone. The taste is more of the same. The hops are first and foremost, but there is a complexity here that leaves you looking forward to the next as soon as you finish the first. The malts provide just the right amount of balance in the sense that the scales are definitely tipped to the hops, but they bring their malty friend along to mellow out the finish with an earthy graininess that provides the perfect yang for their yin. Great beer, enough said.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours a nice deep amber with a good 1 1/2 finger head that stays only for a bit before settling into a tiny frothy cap that sticks around for the rest of the beer. The nose is grapefruit and floral hops with a bit of honey. Mouthfeel is medium-light. Tastes just crisp enough, lots of grapefruit and tons of hop aftertaste, although not as much as you'd expect from the name. Very dry and refreshing. An excellent well priced IPA with a very big taste and presence. Definitely a must try and a great session beer.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a gorgeous burnt orange/copper color with a short head that recedes to a thin layer of foam. Plenty of lacing. Smells floral/citrusy with a substabtial plum-like sweetness. The taste is all hops upfront with a strong dark fruit malty finish. Mouthfeel is tingly. Excellent beer. Almost comes off as a smaller American Barleywine.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

From a 12 oz. bottle into a glass stein with freshness date February 11th 2008.

A - Pours a hazy, amber honey color with a half inch head that dissipates slowly and a sticky lacing that clings to the glass.

S - Well-balanced smell of hops, citrusy grapefruit, small grain and the faintest note of alcohol. Not too strong of a smell, yet not weak. Becomes more pronounced as it warms.

T - The strong, spicy wave of hops mixed with hints of alcohol hit your taste buds first, reminding you that you are drinking an IPA. Toasted sweetened malt, citrus and honey flavor rush in only to be beaten down by another forceful and strong rush of hops with a lingering alcohol taste and just the tiniest hint of malt that results in more of a dry, spicy finish.

M - A smooth and creamy medium-bodied IPA, with well-balanced carbonation.

D - Seems to be quite drinkable. For an IPA named HopDevil, I expected more hoppy bitterness to it, however it was very well-rounded with an spicy hop fix to it that mixed very well with the rest of the brew. Something to tip back and enjoy more than a few during a warm summer day. My first tasting of a Victory brew and I am quite impressed. Definitely recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Note: I am changing the format of my reviews:

A- A deep amber with a slight reddish tint. The lacing is excellent with an off white head..

S- You really get the hops. Pungent and sweet..

T- Great hoppiness all the way through this. With subtle up front flavor strong middle tones and a nice finish.

M- Light carbonation and even a subtle pillowy feel as it moves through your mouth.

D- A very nice hoppy beer. We drank it while we built the new kegerator.

Packaging - Med brought this one over in a German style growler. I really like the German style. The sealable top and the new system over at Liberty, where they flush with CO2 before filling will make these last a good amount of time. Much better than the screw off caps.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

I've had great hoppy beers. This one is far too simple. Still good, but too simple.

It's as if Victory forgot that a hoppy beer can also have flavor with the bittering. The hops are straightforward and bitter, nothing more.

Pouring out the beer is translucent orange and amber. Beautiful. The head is moderate and leaves little archepelagos of lacing. The head stays around for many minutes afterwards.

The smell is piney and strong. Mild alcohol scent wafts through.

Taste from this medium-body IPA is this- Little sweet malt then *BAM!* BITTER! No real citrus flavor or pine note, just overwhelming bitter. All I'm saying is that I've had nicer IPA's in my life.

I drank probably five tonight, and I was pretty happy after that, hahaha... It has 6.8% alcohol, so be careful with it on an empty stomach. Despite the bittering, it was easy to put many down in a short time period. Very drinkable for such a mouth-puckering brew.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle with a "fresh by" date of June 2011 into a pint glass at a temperature of roughly 45 degrees.

Appearance: Poured a light amber color with very little head and specks of lacing as the glass empties itself.

Smell: Immediately a trifecta of hops, malt, and roast make their way permeating and enticing my senses. The malt makes a large, sweet presence balancing the grassy, floral hop aroma with a hint of roast barley and alcohol to round out the nose.

Taste: Very sweet caramel lends itself, used to be enhanced by the delectable essence of hops. This devil is spicy. An alcohol presence presents itself only to be taken over by the malt and hops. To finish, there is a bitter bite of hops, a good cadence to bring about the end of a tremendous symphony of flavour in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, pliable, it works itself into every crevice of your mouth and a bit dry.

Drinkability: Sensational, this beer excels in it's ability to be consumed. A beer that could be had any time of the day, any day of the year, a great offering from Victory.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass. The bottle tells me to enjoy by June 26, 2009, but I'm not exactly sure of the time frame between the bottled on date and the freshness date. This beer pours a beautiful dark amber color with orange highlights, and is a few shades darker than the Thomas Creek Class Five IPA I had earlier today. Holding this beer up to a lamp allows me to appreciate its remarkable clarity. The head is a medium khaki color that doesn't look like it'll be sticking around for too long considering the negligible amount of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head has moderate retention, and eventually fades to a small wisp atop the surface of the beer, but it still manages to leave a hearty amount of lace behind.

Smell: The nose of this beer is very punchy, with a citrusy hop character that leaves no doubt in the mind that Northwestern American hops were used in this brew. The website doesn't give any names, but I have a feeling they all start with a "C". All the usual players are here, grapefruit, papaya, and orange zest, and Victory has done a wonderful job with bringing out these wonderful hop aromas. There are also hints of leafy hoppiness, a bit of spice, and some caramel malt, but this is definitely a C-hop dominated nose.

Taste: I thought I had tasted some malt dominant IPA's in my lifetime, but I think I can safely say that Victory's HopDevil takes the cake. This beer starts out with an absolute truckload of sweet malt, with hints of toasted bread and caramel coming along for the ride. After this, however, the hops steal the show, and it's an all out brawl between citrus flavors (grapefruit and bitter orange peel), leafy/floral hop flavors, and enough tongue-bruising bitterness to satisfy even the biggest of hopheads. These flavors eventually subside to a slightly dry, bitter, and very spicy finish that lingers on the palate for an absolute eternity. I think it's worth noting that drinking this beer reminded me of a less malty but hoppier Bigfoot, and those of you that have tasted both beers know exactly what I mean.

Mouthfeel: Very nice medium to medium-full body, especially for an IPA. The thick, malty body is heavenly smooth on the tongue, and the moderate carbonation only adds to the smoothness. Swirling this beer around in the mouth is a delight, and this is a very good mouthfeel for an IPA.

Drinkability: I feel like a broken record when I say that I'm not the sort of person that could ever drink more than one IPA or DIPA in a row, so I don't rate drinkability for these beers on whether or not I'd have another. Instead, I like to focus on how easily drinking one bottle is/was, but sometimes certain things bear repeating. With that in mind, I'm not having any trouble finishing this glass, and in the months that I can't buy Bell's Hopslam Ale I can definitely see myself buying this beer again.

Notes: I've read that the late Michael Jackson was a big fan of Victory's HopDevil, and after tasting it I can see why. This is definitely one of my favorite American IPA's to date, but only time (and more beer!) will tell if it can hold its position. The boys at Victory have done it again, and they continually establish themselves as power players in the American craft beer scene. Victory for my taste [buds]? You bet.

This beer pours semi-dark golden color with a great white frothy head.

Oh my the hops! No wonder they call it HopDevil! The stinging hops scent is complimented with a hint of fruits.

The taste is awesome. I was expecting the hops to be overpowering but they do very well. The fruits also play on the back end here.

The mouthfeel is great, smooth and delicious.

Overall it is a great beer for hop lovers, which I can be at times.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hop Devil Ale from Victory Brewing Company