2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mad King's Weiss - Victory Brewing Company

Mad King's WeissMad King's Weiss

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 08-14-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 204 | Reviews: 90 | Show All Ratings:
Boto

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -1%

I had this at Victory. The beer pours a cloudy, darker golden color, with maybe a hint of orange to it. Some citrus in the bouquet, as well as some yeastiness. Good taste of wheat malts and some citrus. A lemon was supplied with it, but not squeezed, so the citrus was inherant. An excellent wheat!

05-24-2003 11:01:38 | More by Boto
nomad

Kansas

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a soft wheat orange tilting toward gold, with little head and lace. It smelled of some banana and little clove, and they had a sour and lactic turn to them. The quaff of this beer was very shy to come forward. Tasted of a decent wheat and clove, a bit punchy but not endearing. Noticed a very creamy flavor – thick, lactically sour, and subtly sweet like a plain yogurt flavor. Interesting, but not terribly tasty. Had a decent mouthfeel, though missing the firmness of other weizens, i.e. this one was more watery. Good but not memorable beyond the heavy lactic tastes.

05-19-2003 08:43:02 | More by nomad
dwarbi

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a decent head, but it goes away quickly. Cloudy orange-yellow color. Hearty smells of heartland. Robust aroma. Heavy taste, but very crisp and clean in the mouth. Incredibly drinkable.
One of the best wheat beers I've had and another victory from Victory.

05-03-2003 08:36:20 | More by dwarbi
frank4sail

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

Brought my self back from the brewery a nice jug of this stuff from the 4/5 BA Event. Hazy yellow/orange almost glowing color. A very appealing beer to the eyes. A thick rich lasting white head results from the pour and stays with ya for a while. Beautiful persistant lace on the glass. Sweet wheat smell with some spice (corriander) and fruit (banana) in the nose. Rich wheat malt taste with a hint of marshmellow sweetness. The sweetness is enhanced quite well by the corriander and banana notes on the tongue. Very smooth silk mouth. Sharp yeasty and ABV punch at the finish. I enjoyed this brew very much. It gives their Whirlwind great genetics.

04-25-2003 11:20:43 | More by frank4sail
pezoids

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

Served on tap @ The Victory Brewery

This beer poured a hazy pale yellow with a thin white head. This was a yeasty and sour tasting wheat ale. I wasn't too impressed with this one. I have had this on tap at Ludwig's and I think I enjoyed that version much better. The body was a bit light and thought it could have been more flavorful. The guy next to me had this served in a large, traditional wheat beer glass so why was my serving in an ordinary pint glass? I don't think it affected the taste though...

04-14-2003 20:54:15 | More by pezoids
IrishRedRock

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at Ludwig's Garten in Philly. I have to say, I expected a little more out of this. I found it a bit lacking in flavor, but then again I seem to find that with many Hefe's, which is probably why I prefer Belgian Wits over them. The brew was a very cloudy yellow with a thick white head, but hardly any aroma coming from it at all. Mild citrus, but there wasn't much else.

Mouthfeel is very spritzy and carbonated. Flavors of yeast, citrus, and coriander were detectable, but I could ask for everything to be intensified a bit. A very easy drinker, one that anyone could drink a few of, I just wanted something a bit more complex.

04-13-2003 12:16:25 | More by IrishRedRock
Jarod

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

I got this one from the tap at Victory Brew. It came to me a slightly cloudy gold/yellow color. The head was a beautiful white color that was full and the lace was decently present as it stretched on the sides of the glass. The aromas that were coming out of the glass were some ripe bananas, wheat grains, slight cloves and some citrus hops. The flavors that danced in my mouth were subtle but refreshing. I tasted hints of slight bananas, cloves, yeast, wheat and a little citrus hop bite at the end. Not an overpowering beer when it comes flavors because they meld so well together, the brewers definitely have a firm grasp on flavors and beer. Refreshing and simply great. I can’t wait until the summer so that I can reach for this and quench my thirst.

02-24-2003 13:22:13 | More by Jarod
HopheadEd

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

I always have this on tap at Ludwig's Garten here in Philly, this time at the Grey Lodge. Not as tasty, but still good. Pours a hazy yellow you can see through, not cloudy. Not a bad head, but fades quickly, keeps about 1/4 inch. Smooth mouthfeel, not a strong banana clove taste as in Ludwig's. Finishes a little flat. I' ll have to go back and try again, maybe it was the glass.

12-22-2002 04:38:22 | More by HopheadEd
mophie

Delaware

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the source in Downingtown, PA. Cloudy golden color, minimal head. Some slight banana aromas, but they were fairly muted, as were any other aromas. A little spiciness in the taste, but there was a sour aspect that was not quite what I wanted. It's possible my opinion of this beer was impacted by the previous pint of Storm King I had just finished, so I may come back and revise this review at a later date. All I know is I don't think I'll be ordering this one again anytime soon.

11-27-2002 19:35:27 | More by mophie
rosebud

New Hampshire

4.93/5  rDev +25.1%

I have to agree with phillybeerdrinker on this one. The first time I had this beer in Pittsburgh, all I could think of, boy I wish they bottled this. I love a wheat that has a little more oomph to it. I recently got to try this again when visiting the brewpub. I has a great banana-clove aroma, hazing appearance, with a head that last forever. It is so drinkable, if anything too drinkable, could sneak up on you and definitely get you into trouble. As I've said before, Victory continues to put out great beers, and they have excellent quality control.

08-14-2002 18:19:45 | More by rosebud