Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 698 | Hads: 1,269
4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Many thanks to Froggyfrog for providing this beer in trade.

This is a great example of the style. It pours an amber color with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle. The smell is an excellent balance of clove and banana. As far as taste goes, this beer is exactly what I am looking for when I want a weizenbock - sweet, spicy and complex. It is remarkably drinkable for a beer with almost 9% ABV, and I wish Victory would distribute it to the Northwest. (457 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

A: Moon glow is extremely hazy, with a brown-orange body and white head. Lacing and retention are both on the low side, but don't forget that this brew is nearly 9% abv. The main points here are lost to the clumps of yeast that sit limply at the bottom of my tulip. I don't mind suspended yeast, but clumps are a touch off putting.

S: bouquet is potent, with heavy doses of bananas and cloves.

T: truly amazing. I never expected to see such a great weizenbock from this side of the world. Light and refreshing despite the strength.

M: medium body, though it seems fuller than that due to all of the yeast.

D: the first decent American weizenbock I've come across. Truly an amazing thing considering I can only find two German examples in my store of over 1,100 brews. (771 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Pours a hazy, light brown color. Head quickly dissipates with spotty lace.

S - Very fruity (bananas), with smells of cloves, spices and yeast. Notes of wheat and malt as well.

T - A bready and fruity taste that blends nicely with the wheat and malts. Yeasty as well. Not overly sweet, very delightful and extremely well balanced.

M - Medium bodied, rather smooth tasting with a nice finish. Hides the alcohol very well.

O - I found the Moonglow Weizenbock to be an amazingly tasty brew. Victory makes some excellent beers and this is no exception. Refreshing and delicious! (583 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Got a growler full of this stuff about a week ago. Quite delicious. My first thought was "saison" but after a few more sips, I was enthralled that a weizenbock had such a strong and wide variety of flavors.

Quite tasty, if you get a chance to drink it, do so. (260 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day. (1,309 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Chicago Bears pint glass. I could have gone for the appropriate glassware but hey the Bears were playing (and losing).

Aroma: RICH melanoidins with some wheat yeast spicy phenolics. Hints of green apple, maybe a little sulfur, and possibly banana.

Appearance: deep orange-ish amber, appropriatley cloudy with a persistent off-white head and damn nice lacing.

Flavor: WOW! As with the aroma very rich melanoidins backed by just enough hop bitterness for balance and same spicy wheat yeast phenolics. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: full bodied and luscious.

Overall: never had this beer before, have been wanting to try it, and lo and behold four-packs are on sale for $7.99 at Jenny St. Market. This is quite possibly the best weizenbock I've ever had and is certainly up there with Aventinus. Just a wonderful beer: prost! (855 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy light amber with a nice creamy head. The smell is wheat with a lot of yeast and some fruity undertones in there. Taste starts off with a nice wheat flavor that slowly turns to yeast then banana and finally into a slightly tart apple flavor. The tongue is left with a yeasty taste that leaves you wanting more. Very creamy and smooth and extremely drinkable. Damn this is one fine brew, but what else do I expect from my favorite East Coast brewery. (466 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance - pours a brownish iced tea color into the Sam Adams glass. A large foam cap, smooth and creamy. Good sized chunks of speckled lace all around as the head settles. Lots of white flaky sediment churning up and down the glass. Holds quite well at a thin cover; must be that laser etching!

Aroma - loaded with yeast and banana aroma. A certain heaviness from the malt is there but isn't picked up directly, more of an enhancement to the yeast.

Taste - the bready sweetness of a bock, the spicy weizen yeast, both mixing nicely with a mild hop flavor post-swallow. A well-balanced alcohol element helps tie it all together. The end has all these elements, a fine and complex palatte of flavors.

Mouthfeel - appropriate thickness and heaviness for a weizenbock. Muted carbonation adds to the effect.

Drinkability - for all the wheat based beer styles, weizenbock is my favorite, and Victory has a fine one here. (921 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap in a 20 oz mug. Now who is driving me home?

Seriously, this is a great beer. There isn't a thing not to like. It has that fruity estery quality I associate with Belgians. It s color is that of a good scotch ale. You can tell there's alcohol in here - it's 8.7% but it isn't overpowering. Its head is fairly thin with just a slight ring as I drink it down. What else do you need to know? If you haven't had this one and its available, snap it up! (460 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my tall beer glass. The liquid is a nice dark chocolate brown with nice carbonation. The head is quite nice, 2 fat fingers brown, fades real slow, leave good lace.

The smell is super, everything you would want and hope for in the style. Dark roasted wheat/malt to balance out the complex yeast flavors going on. I did not detect big alcohol in mine, the fruit and spice was definitely quite nice. Hints of lemon, plum, apricot, and green apple, with a noticeable bubble gum that coupled with the big grain was much more welcome then in a Bavarian Hefe. And that's just the smell!

The taste is super. The fruit & malt work perfect. Banana Clove taste is in there and in excellent form not found in many Wheat Bocks. And the bubble gum note is just right, not up front or in the finish, What a great brew.

The mouthfeel is medium body, kind of thinish, could be bigger.

The drinkability of this brew is unsurpassed, for the style with big ABV this beer is fir for a king. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK (1,035 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a hazy ruby color with an off white head. Sediment floating around in the glass. Looks rather nice.

Oh wow, the smell is nutty and filled with banana, butter and clove. Wow I'm really loving the scent on this thing.

Thick and silky, rich and buttery. Not bad so far in the least. Big and chewy with a banana bread presence. Super creamy and rich too. Slight hop presence but I wish it was bigger to really give this beer some balls. Excellent though! (459 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance is amber-brown and really deep. Slightly cloudy with a great head and nice spider web lacing on the glass through consumption. Smell is malty sweet with molasses and maybe a hint of caramel. Taste is sweet with nice body and good depth of flavor. It has been a while since I last had this beer but very pleasantly surprised. (335 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

A- Thick tan head on a cloudy amber/copper body.
S- Big sweet caramel malts, some grass hops, standing out wheat aroma, and maybe some hints of dark fruits.
T- Nice big sweet caramel malts, hints of alcohol (pretty well hidden though for almost 9%) and toffee, grass and wheat flavors come through nicely. Leaves about a medium bitterness on the tongue. It is a very good weizen bock.
M-Full body low carbonation. Nice creamy feel to it.
D- I like this one a lot. When it gets released again I will have to try and get my hands on a 6-pack of this. One of the best Weizenbocks I have had. (595 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lightly chilled and poured into a 0.5 L Weizen glass. A glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a lightly hazy reddish dark copper color with a 2" thick light tan head that slowly recedes leaving ring of foam and puffy hills of thick foam over the surface. Initially sipping leaves both a semi-circle of foam and some widespread patches and legs of foam. As the beer gets lower the sides of the glass are coated with patches of sticky foam and there is still a thin layer of foam over the liquid.

Smell: The aroma is of clove from the yeast and a nice basket of mixed fruit underneath. The malt is lightly sweet and mixed in there is some green apple or pear, a bit of banana and some raisins. There doesn't seem to be any alcohol present at all.

Taste: Some of the flavors are predicted from the nose, and the fruit flavors are all mingled in with a dose of spice. The fruits are green apple or pears along with raisins and banana. The spice is primarily clove and underneath the whole mélange is some dark caramel from the malt backbone. The whole creates and intriguing mix of sweet and sour notes that seem to take turns showing themselves. If the alcohol has an effect it may only be in the spiciness.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium to full-bodied and very soft and silky smooth with the long lasting gentle carbonation. The finish is moderately long and begins with sweetness from the malt and fruits but then trails off into some spice and then finishes with tartness mingled with hop bitterness.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. It is tasty enough that I could easily have a couple of these in an evening and I certainly will be returning to this beer again and again. (1,749 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a not quite clear copper amber with a two finger beige head that fades into nice sheet lacing. The label is one of the more attractive ones I've seen, and was imprinted with an "enjoy by Aug 20 04" date. Nose is complex, bananas, oranges, pineapples, toffee, cloves, and hints of Belgian yeasts. Crisp and well carbonated in the mouth, yet creamy and medium bodied. Taste is of toffee and caramel soaked in a fruit basket. Ruby red grapefruit, bananas, oranges, and pineapples. Carbonation keeps it all vibrant all the way to the end. No presence of alcohol is noted, in spite of the listed 8.7abv. This is an extraordinary brew from the folks at Victory. Very well crafted and pleasantly complex. Highly enjoyable. (721 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Good head when poured into a pint glass and once it settles it becomes a good steady lacing. Darker amber coloration gives off a good winter time beer look. When smelling the beer it gives off a good malt and spice tickle for the senses. As a unfiltered beer it is a excellent mild malted spiced beer. (301 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Off-white head that fades quickly producing some dense lacing. A dark, 'glowing' amber color with noticeable sediment and some floaters due to bottle conditioning.

A powerful banana, clove, and apple aroma. A sour hint accompanying these flavors as well.

Very tart apple, banana, clove, and pear flavors that are all very apparent. A very bold tasting beer! It's like biting into the best granny smith apple I've ever had. No bitterness with a smooth malty punch perfect for the style.

Very rich and full bodied weizenbock. A tartness that works well for the style.

It's such a treat to drink since there aren't many versions of this style out there. I'd be hapy to drink this whenever I get the chance, and I could easily put down one after the other with how good of a job Victory does in masking the astounding 8.7%abv. (834 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: About a 1/2 finger gingerbread looking head - with some okay retention and lacing. Body is a lovely dark honey with mahogany accents. Lots of sediment floating around in this guy (whoops, didn't realize).

Smell: Nose is very malty, with notes of ginger, clove, and wheat toast.

Taste: A ton of malts up front in this one - lots of caramel and gingerbread flavors. Also notice some sweet sugar in this guy. The end has the slightest of hops to provide just the right balance from this one going over the top.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium bodied with some nice stickiness at the end.

Drinkability: Incredibly light and smooth, and had no idea the ABV was as high as it is until I was writing my review. A really light beer, but certainly warming. Alcohol is completely masked, and I would've put this in the mid 6's. This is one of my new favs. (901 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep ruddy brown with a tan head. There is no sediment in the bottom of my bottle. The smell is of dark fruit, spice, and some esters, like banana, and vanilla. Not quite as complex smelling as I recall Aventinus, but would love to try neck and neck. The taste, is outstanding and extraordinarily complex. Sort of a symphony of deep, complex (did I mention this brew is complex?), dark fruits, and more and more esters, some phenols. You know, all the buzzwords and tagwards apply on this beer. Little or no alcohol in the nose or the tastebuds, could perhaps be why last spring I drank four or five of these last spring and I was hammered, and cause they go down so well! I must say, I tried this last srping as noticed the flavor of this beer has changed over the years, and I must say it has improved. It is far more spicey, and less soapy than when I first ever tried it. I almost think it is near carbon copy of Aventinus, but perhaps better cause I get it fresher. Another Victory in the beer world.... (1,016 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked this up last week up in Totowa...seeing that I've never had this before and it seemed quite alluring a beer. After taking a few sips of this, it's obvious that this is more than alluring. It's pretty amazing! I'm not quite sure how to review this since it's unlike anything I've ever had, but here goes nothing!

For starters, I loved the pour and look of this. A rich, purple mahogany hue filed my pint glass up with a thick head and lacing that is slowly falling down my glass as I take each sip. Make no mistake - this is complex. Plum, banana, bubblegum, clove, grass, and wheat are here with a very strong alcohol backbone to tie them all together. Is it overpowering? Yes, it is. Is it complex? Indeed, that is the case as well. Does this work? Absoutely! This has the mouthfeel of a saison with complexity and taste of a lambic with the fullness of a wheat beer. For someone desperately hanging onto the summer like me, it doesn't get any better than this.

There's no doubt that the 8.70% ABV of this beer can be felt not too long after the first mouthfuls of this go down. No matter. Out of all the beers I've tried from Victory, this is my favorite; and that's saying a lot cosidering they have some pretty impressive offerings in their portfolio. This is amazingly complex, harmonious, and has the aftertaste on the level of a fine champagne. If you want to celebrate the fall and wish to get away from the Marzens and Octoberfests, this is your beer. Cheers to victory for upping the ante on the Weizenbock style! (1,532 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's liquor store in Glen Ellyn, IL for $2.19. The label has a blurb about the beer along the left side as well as an "enjoy before date" of June 19, 2010 stamped on it. The Victory Brewing web site says this beer is only available in September and October and this is already January, so I must have gotten one of the last bottles from the 2009 batch.

The beer poured a cloudy copper color that turned to more of a light caramel shade when held to the light. It made a 2-finger light tan head that lasted awhile and left lacing that can best be described as slippery. It makes lace, but instead of sticking to the glass, it quickly slides back into the liquid.

The smell is wonderful. I was expecting the traditional banana and clove aroma, but instead I got more of an apricot smell instead of banana. The clove was still there and joining it was sweet caramel malt and lots of wheat. I loved it.

The taste did not disappoint either. There is no doubt that this is a wheat beer. The wheat flavor is the main attraction but there is also a great supporting cast. I still get that apricot presence but there are some other dark fruits and citrus flavors in here that give it even more tart and fruity character. Some caramel sweetness gives it some additional body and a touch of spicy hops make for a great finish.

Even with all those flavors, this beer remains medium bodied and refreshing due in part to its high carbonation.

I guess all those flavors hide the 8.7% abv because I didn't notice the alcohol at all. Maybe it accented the spices a bit but that's all. Now that I've tried this, I wish I had seen more than the 1 bottle on the shelf, I could see myself enjoying a bunch of these. (1,747 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer was brown and murky with an oily foam. The murkiness was a little unexpected based on the few other weizenbocks I've had.

The smell was stunning, it was so good. Lots of ester-type fruit aromas, bananas in the lead with some plums or raisins following. The taste was awesome too, with all the afore-mentioned fruits competing with sweet malt flavors.

Very good seasonal which I think Victory should make all year long. (478 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Exquisite mahogony tone with an orange tinge. Thick and foggy. Creamy off white head, down to clumps. Lots of banana on the nose, with peanut butter and chocolate truffle. Very complex flavor including caramel, clove, citrus, hop bitterness. Chemically aftertaste. Very full bodied and refreshing. Smooth yet crispy. What a great offering from victory, relatively high abv (372 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: A burnt orange, almost caramel in appearance. A beautiful pale brown head arose quicly fell into a half a finger dome that hung around the long haul.

Smell: Like a chai latte spice mixed with pumpkin spice....imagine that. Wheat is apparent in the scent..the smell is divine.

Taste: What a delightful contradiciton. The power of a bock and the smoothness of a hefeweizen. Yeast, esthers, tart fruit, and autumn spice ride a wave of tight carbonation. It comes on creamy, yet refreshing, strong, yet delicate. Unbelievable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: So drinkable. (606 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whoa....To the Victor(y) belongs the spoils. I just may move to PA if they keep this up. This should be a kick ass beer at 8.7, but it is soooo smooth, I couldn't tell....Banana, citrus, tingly tongue were definitely there. The color was that of fresh pressed cider witha nice head. Mouthfeel was round and smooth with a hint of malt to impress in the drinkability category. This was the last single bottle on the shelf of my favorite packy....too bad...gotta remind them to order more!!!! (489 characters)

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company