Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros

4.98/5  rDev +22.7%

The quintessential American Weizenbock. Better then many German examples, IMO.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

This is a phenomenal beer. Moonglow is another fine example of a German style put out by Victory.

A: Pours a reddish-amber color with a thick pale amber head that lingers and laces all the way down.

S: Hints of banana and clove are not overpowering, but let you know they're in there. Some caramel as well.

T: Light caramel and malty, bready balanced well with mild flavored wheat. Overtones of banana and clove are present, but not dominating. Surprisingly smooth for over 8% ABV. Excellent balance of yeast esters.

M: Thick and creamy and excellent carbonation levels.

D: This one goes down super easy. Very mellow and smooth for an 8% brew.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Murky cinnamon brown in color. Very hazy/cloudy from the yeast in the bottle. Even cloudier in the glass after I swirled the bottle enough times to get every last bit of the yeast into my glass. Very nice fluffy head. Sweet Mother, this one looks good.

S: Sweet raisiny aromas with a killer yeasty/malty smell. Strong hints of bananas and cloves. Very fruity and very complex, and it only gets better when it warms a bit.

T: Nice tart astringincy up front. Fruity sweetness hits next. Not a whole lot of alcohol taste, it's very well masked for the level. I would challenge any wine snob to find a vintage that has as much depth and complexity as this beer has. I honestly don't have the words yet to adequately describe this one.

M: Full bodied, nice syrupy mouth coating feel. ETOH is very nicely warming and the CO2 is spot-on.

D&N: Near perfection in a bottle. By far the best beer I've had in a long time. Highly recommended.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Just a little slice of heaven this one is. Had this on tap at the Victory brewpub en route to the Beer Yard. God, am I glad I stopped. Victory really proved itself to me with this beer, because before I wasn't really a fan. I realize now how fortunate I am to live so close to one of the great American breweries. *gets a little veklempt, wipes tear from eye, takes deep breath*

Okay, I'm gonna review this one from memory (taking notes on beer is just not something I'm prepared to do just yet. Somewhere I have to draw the line. Maybe I'm just in denial of my beergeekdom.)

Beautiful copper color. Rich bananna, yeast, and pumpkin pie spice aroma. Taste is not unlike a Belgian dark strong ale, but this has a lot more body and is much richer. An explosive symphony of flavor. Describing the taste too much just won't do it justice. Alcohol is not noticeable in the flavor, but you can tell that this is a sipper. If you have actually taken a minute or two out of your life to read this, do yourself a favor and get this. Actually, drive to the brewery and get this on draft. Yeah, you may live in Nebraska, but you're a beer geek. You don't have anything better to do.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass. The label has a nice description and a freshness date.

Appearance: Deep rich crimson highlights flow through a deep amber body with a slight haze. This is topped by a light beige colored and tightly packed head. The tall stiff foam hangs on well and makes lots of slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: There are deep sweet fruity and bready notes with notes of wheat, banana bread with walnuts and over-ripe banana peel.

Taste/Palate: The flavor matches the nose with a light dusting Dutch cocoa, fruity banana, dried apricots and a mild touch of hop spice. It also has a sweet and mellow abv warmth. The full body has a smooth creamy texture with plenty of soft carbonation.

Notes: Outstanding!!!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with a glowing haze. There are pieces of unfiltered wheat that spread throughout the beer. The most amazing head I've ever seen on a beer yet. A perfect pour brings more than half a pint glass of head that fades down to a drinkable measure and laces the glass and I consume.
Smells of sweet wheat and dark fruits. The taste is the same and perfect blend of light malts and sweet fruits while some perfect bock flavors come through to even out with the citrus taste. Mouthfeel is flawless, it has the smoothest texture, goes down like water, the feeling only leaves me wanting more. Drinkablity follows as before, can't be beat. Get your hands on this!

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Many thanks to Froggyfrog for providing this beer in trade.

This is a great example of the style. It pours an amber color with a fair amount of sediment in the bottle. The smell is an excellent balance of clove and banana. As far as taste goes, this beer is exactly what I am looking for when I want a weizenbock - sweet, spicy and complex. It is remarkably drinkable for a beer with almost 9% ABV, and I wish Victory would distribute it to the Northwest.

4.83/5  rDev +19%

I poured this beer from a bottle into a pint glass. There was a two finger off white foamy head that went away pretty quickly. This beer leaves mininal lacing. The color is a hazy light brown/golden and has lots of sediment floating in it. The smell is of wheat, fruit, clove, malt, yeast, Bread, ripe banana (very nice). The taste is sweet and of wheat, clove, fruit, and hops. It is a little boozy. The mouthful is very smooth, silky, foamy, and nicely carbonated. It leaves a light fruit/hop aftertaste in your mouth. In my opinion this is a great weizenbock.

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Look: Dark orange color, like a lava lamp with suspended yeast flakes, head dissipates quickly, light lacing

Smell: Bananas, cloves, cinnamon, dried fruit

Taste: Up Front: Tastes like banana bread with walnuts. Finish: The bread lingers, little spice, alcohol present

Mouthfeel: Happy thick mouthful of chewy yuminess!

Drinkability: It has a great flavor and you can't tell it's almost 9% abv, too heavy for session beer

Overall Impression:I am not a big wheat beer drinker, but this beer kicks ass and has a comfort food feel that makes it a good beer on a snowy day!

4.83/5  rDev +19%

A: Moon glow is extremely hazy, with a brown-orange body and white head. Lacing and retention are both on the low side, but don't forget that this brew is nearly 9% abv. The main points here are lost to the clumps of yeast that sit limply at the bottom of my tulip. I don't mind suspended yeast, but clumps are a touch off putting.

S: bouquet is potent, with heavy doses of bananas and cloves.

T: truly amazing. I never expected to see such a great weizenbock from this side of the world. Light and refreshing despite the strength.

M: medium body, though it seems fuller than that due to all of the yeast.

D: the first decent American weizenbock I've come across. Truly an amazing thing considering I can only find two German examples in my store of over 1,100 brews.

4.83/5  rDev +19%

A - Pours a hazy, light brown color. Head quickly dissipates with spotty lace.

S - Very fruity (bananas), with smells of cloves, spices and yeast. Notes of wheat and malt as well.

T - A bready and fruity taste that blends nicely with the wheat and malts. Yeasty as well. Not overly sweet, very delightful and extremely well balanced.

M - Medium bodied, rather smooth tasting with a nice finish. Hides the alcohol very well.

O - I found the Moonglow Weizenbock to be an amazingly tasty brew. Victory makes some excellent beers and this is no exception. Refreshing and delicious!

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day.

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

Got a growler full of this stuff about a week ago. Quite delicious. My first thought was "saison" but after a few more sips, I was enthralled that a weizenbock had such a strong and wide variety of flavors.

Quite tasty, if you get a chance to drink it, do so.

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company