Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
TikiD

02-11-2012 19:48:46 | More by TikiD
jjd315

12-14-2012 20:54:06 | More by jjd315
matty

2.05/5  rDev -49.6%

Orange amber colored beer with a slowly fading head,Aroma is wheat and spice.Taste is spicy and again wheat.This is too close to a witbier which I dispise.I try to like Victory products because they are in my city's backyard but they constantly keep letting me down.Thumbs down and I am considering never buying a Victory product again.

10-11-2009 06:35:55 | More by matty
Jesse13713

2.1/5  rDev -48.4%

Appearance - Just slightly over a half finger of head on this beer. The beer pours a darker brown/purple color. I thought this beer seemed to be a bit old; with tons of yeast littering the glass. But the best by date is September 1st, 2011.

Smell - Quite a heavy ethanol smell throughout. Dark fruits are heavily noticeable. Very strong notes of raisins and grainy yeast. A bit overpowering to me.

Taste - Heavy in ethanol right off the bat. Almost sickly sweet with plums, raisins and dates. Just full of very sweetened dark fruits. A slight barley taste in the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - I didn't find this very drinkable. The taste was overall too sweet for me and entirely too full of raisins and dates. For a Weizenbock, it wasn't too terrible. But in the grand scheme of things this beer lacked anything special to make me want to finish an entire bottle. Medium bodied and on the verge of being heavy. Overall tastes like some sort of overpowered breakfast juice.

03-25-2011 19:20:15 | More by Jesse13713
thecarster1

2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

a- bottle poured into a pint, two finger eggshell colored head with great retention that turns rocky, amber reddish coloring, hazy, minimal carbonation.

s- wheat, raisin, never smelled a beer like this before.

t- this is my first weizenbock so i wasn't sure what to expect, lots of wheat, spicy, dark dry fruit, raisin, sweetness, it was a bit overwhelming, i can't say that i liked it, but i didn't even realize that it had an abv of 8.7 until later, i couldn't tell that at all.

m- not overly heavy in the mouth.

d- not great in my opinion, this is my first weizenbock and i think it's full robust flavor needs to be acquired, in all honesty i couldn't finish this bad boy, the moonglow won this round.

10-01-2009 04:36:04 | More by thecarster1
WhiteOak

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

A- Dark copper color. Fizzy tan head fades away in an instant.

S- Nearly no detectable smell whatsoever. Faint oxidized old fruit, like moldy grapes, rotten apple.

T- Nearly flavorless. Sweet one dimensional malt alone.

M, D- Medium body, but so utterly uninspiring, so lacking in character & pleasure that drinkability is hindered seriously.

What went wrong here? The sample was fresh. In comparison to the available world class weizenbocks out there, why bother?

01-20-2011 23:02:35 | More by WhiteOak
drjamyma

2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

I feel like I haven't properly evaluated this beer when it has such a high rating, but I just didn't like it. The tartness of the wheat and the bock just didn't do it for me. I don't know if I got a bad six pack or what. The tartness almost had a soy taste to it. woof, I expected a lot more drinkability out of Victory. Looks like it's just me though.

05-05-2009 16:12:24 | More by drjamyma
winomark

Missouri

2.55/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep, deep copper, with a small, off-white head.

Aroma: Can you say bananas? Some yeasty notes and some faint malt.

Taste: Acidic, with more bananas in the palate. Somewhat sour.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, sour flavors. Dry and short on the finish.

Drinkability: Wow! I am glad I only bought one bottle. A solid representation of the style, but not the style for me.

10-30-2003 15:52:29 | More by winomark
BirdFlu

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%

smells of wheat and spice, a distinct spice i cant put my finger on, its sort of unplesant.. pours a deep auburn hue with thin white head and a noticeable amount of sediment, which I guess can affect how you ay feel about it, the color is nice though .. tastes very very spicey, all spicey wheat, sort of similar to say a tripel's spice not very pleasant to the extent that Im wondering if something is wrong with this bottle I have.. mouth has a very crisp, biting carbonation and a light to moderate body, probably the best part of the beer.. drink well, I will ahve to try it again to see if wsomething was wrong with this version I had
but its flavor is sort of abrasive and I do not find the spice pleasant, by no means is it like any bock ive had, seems more like a tripel, had to drainpour and get a bigfoot to get the taste out of my mouth

05-13-2009 05:27:45 | More by BirdFlu
Mangus

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%

Oh Man, MooonGlow Weezenbock. Doesn' t that sound nice?

This beer poured a really nice looking caramel-copper color with a nice frothy head.

The smells were flowery, fruity, sweet wheat. Very, very interesting aromas.

I really want to like this beer, I really do but I gotta tell ya, that first taste made me go ughhhh! Whoa! The second sip confirmed the first. Nice mouthfeel but the flavors are way too powerful. Too much. It's not a "bad" taste just a very fruity, sweet, extremely wheaty over-the-top flavor. Not enjoyable like I want my beer to be.

Down the drain it went. Sorry fellas.

01-27-2004 23:17:09 | More by Mangus
locckdown

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

03-24-2012 22:41:46 | More by locckdown
Chico1985

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a burnt amber color, off-white head. Lots of sediment floats in a standstill. Weizenbocks are so cool looking. Unfortunately this one's head doesn't last long and leaves no lacing.

Smell is hard to pinpoint. Definite fruit, maybe grapes and plums. Cinnamon, maple, some booze.

Tastes are also hard to pinpoint and not very exciting. Caramel and maple seem to dominate, some spice and yeast in the aftertaste. Flavors definitely make sense for a fall seasonal. A bit boozy too. I was hoping for more hefe qualities.

Mouthfeel is definitely lackluster. Seems very thin and undercarbonated and boozy, this beer just isn't very enjoyable.

Not even fair to compare, but Aventinus is just a bit pricier than this and that is where you will find a world-class weizenbock. Age isn't to blame here, there is still 3 months until the best by date.

06-20-2010 19:49:20 | More by Chico1985
mariposafan

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Murky burnt orange with a beautiful beige, creamy head. The head lasts very well.

The aroma is mostly pretty classic hefeweizen - banana/bubblegum with a hint of cloves. Quite a bit of alcohol on the aroma as well. Overall it could stand to be a bit more potent and have a bit less alcohol.

The flavor is a major letdown. Lots of bitterness. Lots and lots of straight alcohol. Not much at all of the hefeweizen flavors I expected let alone the more intense versions that I hope for from a weizenbock.

The mouthfeel is good - a little thicker than a hefeweizen and with plenty of carbonation. The carbonation does a decent job of cutting through the bitterness but doesn't do anything for very excessive alcohol flavor.

Overall a major disappointment. The overwrought bitterness and alcohol just swamp anything I might enjoy about the flavor.

02-05-2012 19:39:07 | More by mariposafan
KingSpank

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

I can't really say that this is a bad beer, but at the same time I can't say that I enjoyed it at all. Although the brewing expertise of the boys at Victory shows, I have to say that this was one of their worse ideas. Moonglow is a very well crafted beer. The mouthfeel is great and it looks fantastic, but I just think that the flavor is awful. It's not that the Victory boys didn't achieve what they set out to accomplish, it's just that they probably shouldn't have done it in the first place. I think that this stuff tastes horrible, and I'm certainly not planning on buying it again, but I think that this is a result of personal tastes, not the quality of the beer. I guess it's worth trying once, but don't say I didn't warn you if it doesn't agree with your tastes.

10-25-2003 07:15:31 | More by KingSpank
ultralarry2006

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Left a two finger head that receded to lingering surface skim, and not much lacing, and tiny bubbles throughout (when they could be seen through the cloudy body). Color was a cloudy orange tinted brown amber.

Smell - fruity esters like apples and dried dark fruits like dates. Stong phenols also present, and some diacetyl as well. Strong spicy alcohol ( maybe actually yeast ) also.

Taste - Diacetyl. Apple juice. Dates, dried plums. Some dark bread. Slight phenol. Some alcohol warmth. Slight spice.

Mouthfeel - thin, with moderate to light carbonation.

Drinkability - goes down fairly easy, don't like the diacetyl thing is the problem here.

05-11-2006 16:21:54 | More by ultralarry2006
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -28%

First off, did anyone else see the little ghosts on the bottle, or was it just me? Anyways, I must say, this is one beer with mixed reviews from me. The appearance was stellar. It was a murky amber color with a beautiful head. The head was super thick and very frothy, which lasted quite a while. The smell was a mixture of many things. It was very strong in the area of fruits, like citrus, plums, and grapes. It was also had a subtle pumpkin pie smell to it. This also came out in the taste, which had both clashing together. I thought it was waaay to sweet and was more like fruit salad, than beer. I am definately going to stay clear of this one. I usually am a huge fan of what Victory puts out, but this one was stretchin' it for me.

10-27-2003 04:19:19 | More by JISurfer
mschofield

2.93/5  rDev -28%

Pours a hazy brown-amber, with a four finger dark tan head, well carbonated with constant streams of bubbles rising through the glass. Did not lace at all.
Great aroma, sweet malt, banana, spice, wheat note.
Sweet, very sweet taste, very fruity, apricot, orange, apple juice, a cherry note.
Medium feel, too cloyingly sweet for me

05-18-2004 13:09:42 | More by mschofield
dbalsock

Vermont

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

reviewed from notes

Appearance: Pours red/orange with a cream white head that dissapates a little too soon.

Smell: It has a sweet aroma, which is it's best quality. I can pick out molasses, a fruity hops and at 8-9% no wonder I get a whiff of alcohol too, but it doesn't take away so much.

Taste: A slight hint of alcohol is recognizible first followed by the molasses and malts with a fruity plum essence.

Mouthfeel: It's too light bodied with such a malt presence, I find it kinda weird.

Drinkability: The alcohol takes away from the sweet nectar of plums and molasses which would make this more drinkable than average. I was expecting more.

05-16-2006 18:34:08 | More by dbalsock
AWS2111

01-04-2012 18:00:34 | More by AWS2111
ChadT89

02-20-2012 01:24:57 | More by ChadT89
TheBigBoy

12-24-2013 04:14:34 | More by TheBigBoy
jthomp000

A - Orange-ish hue, somewhat cloudy, lots of "floaters" in this one.
S - Carmel aromas, nothing that jumped out at me
T - Carmel taste upfront, alcohol aftertaste/backend
M - Medium body, light carbonation
O - At first I wasn't a fan of this specific beer, but each time I have one, it continues to grow on me. First time with this type of beer and I'll definitely try this beer or a similar kind again...

07-23-2011 16:24:48 | More by jthomp000