Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 695 | Hads: 1,265
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled Aug 25, 2005.

This smells like cloves and sweet bananas, tastes like spice bread. Really pretty beer, the lack of filtration gives a nice orange clody hue.

Tastes great, although heavier than I was expecting, a fine bock.

Wow, I can feel the heat in my stomach from the ABV on this one. (306 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

I think this is my first weizen bock. It pours a light brown color, maybe a dark tea color. The nose is odd. There seems to be hints of orange peel and some spicey yeast tones. There is a lot of metallic flavor in there. I don't like it a lot. The orange flavors are also in there. I don't know about this one. The feel is somewhat thin and drinkability is not all that good. I don't think that victory is doing a good job with this one. (437 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz bottle with "Enjoy by Sept. 12 07" printed on label.

Pours a cloudy orange/red with a thick tan head about 2 fingers high.

Aroma of bananas, wheat malt, dark fruit esters.

Flavors of tart wheat, banana, yeast, green apple and fig. No hop presence to speak of. Some alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied. Medium carbonation. Lingering malt on the tongue.

Ranks 1 beer on the drinkability index. Ok once in a while, not something I'll actively seek out again. (492 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

I first had this one 10 years ago or so. I remember thinking it was one of the better weizenbocks I had tried back then, but to be fair there weren't a whole lot available. Even today, there still aren't a whole lot, but there are definitely more to choose from now including some newer variations like pale, eisbock, and hoppy versions. For what it's worth, my favorite was and still is Aventinus.

Moonglow pours a nice amber-ish-cloudy with a lasting head. The aroma is spicy with a bit of clove and fruit. The flavor is sweet and spicy upfront with some banana/spice and then slowly fades into a long lasting similar finish. The body is a bit thin. It's interesting to finally go back and taste this brew after many years. On that note (and after having quite a few other quality weizenbocks over the years), I don't think this brew is as good as I previously thought. It's not bad for an American attempt, but there's a moderate grape soda flavor mixed in with a hint of plastic/Band-aid which I don't care for in the style. I seem to be rating this one lower than most other people. If you like weizenbocks, then don't worry about what I think. Go ahead and try this one for yourself. (1,190 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - It pours a deep and hazy hue of orange-copper, perhaps even burnt umber, capped with a taupe head of micro-froth. The large swaths of lace left behind seem to be the most prominent feature.

S - There is, of course, a healthy dose of banana in the nose as well as a general estery fruitiness that encompasses also pear, apple and guava. The malt has an interesting caramel nuance to it; interesting, not necessarily appreciated. It is nice aromatically, but not jaw-dropping.

T - The taste is similar to that which is offered by the nose, but is really less dynamic. The wheat is not very apparent, especially given the style. I would like it if the fruitiness was more in the banana range, and less in the tropical-tart territory. And there is an accompanying roasted-smoked character that is thankfully very far down at the bottom of the mix flavor-wise, but like the proverbial pea under the mattress, its presence is still disquieting.

M - This is where it really falls short. Considering the style, flavor, intensity, and gravity intended for a beer such as this, the feel is unacceptably wimpy. Or shall I say flaccid? Perhaps impotent would be the right vernacular...

D - It is okay, pretty good even, but the flaws displayed are substantial impediments to its enjoyability. (1,288 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -20.6%

Sampled: 11.10.05

Appearance is like looking at a glass of cider under a thick brown-white head. Moderate lacing.

The aroma is immediately of fresh apples. Dark wheat hints along with some banana lurk behind that sweetness. Heavy scent of candy (carnival candied apples??) hangs out through out the drinking experience.

The flavor has an initial Belgian feel to it, but it dissipates quickly into more sweet candy apples. Some grain flavors hangout. The beer also has a tanginess that reminds of cider. This was the first disappointing beer from Victory I’ve had, but it’s also the first Weizenbock I’ve had. So, I may not be seeking the ‘correct’ qualities just yet. But one thing for sure is that these bottles were juicy. Like apple juice mostly. Not very “beer” like, if I’m making any sense. The mouth was low carbed and light, like, well…juice.

It was easy to drink, but I’ve only had one per sitting over the last week. As mentioned, my first Weizenbock, so tough to compare to it stylistically, but it went down considering the 8%+ abv billing.

====
Notes: Not my favorite by any means, but it wasn’t bad enough to turn me off the beer or the style. I’ll give another batch a shot and I’m laying one down to see if the dark malts can gain any footing in this sweet juicy beer and maybe sour the fruit enough for some interesting flavoring. I’ll report back. (1,396 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer pours a brown body with low apparent carbonation and a very quickly diminishing off-white head. Aroma is of banana, brown sugar and citric notes (grapefruity). Not too complex and no Aventinus. Taste has a light sourness from the wheat and more banana/brown sugar flavours. Body is thin-medium. I don't think this was infected, but still it had a sourness that seems out of order in this style. Luckily I've got another bottle and a re-rate is in order. (463 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.9%

pours a light cooper color with small head and collar..smell is malts and caramel some floral citrus and an earthy smell..taste follows the nose its musty and doughy with spices and malts..mouth feel has low carbonation with a full flavor profile of malts and toffee and spices ,,its drinkable but not my favorite in the style (326 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Bottle poured into pint.

A: Very cloudy amber color with thin, white colored head.

S: Very contrasting and interesting. Some sweetness smells along with banana.

T: Complex taste. The taste hit immediately and is powerful. Maybe too powerful for my tastes. Like the smell, you get a little sweet with the bitter. At the end you get a distinct taste of alcohol.

M: Leaves a little sting in the mouth. The feel remains mixed like the smell and taste. On the high end of carbonation.

O: I think a fan of this style of beer would appreciate it much more than I did. It was an interesting experience, that I would try again, but couldn't do it too often. My scores are higher than my personal opinion, but factor in the beer style. (732 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

I am going to admitt this off the bat - it had gone spoiled. However, I am not letting that affect my ratings in the sense you might think. I think the tartness that was produced by "aging" ,if you will, had an interesting effect. The color was a cloudy, ruddy, orange. a good amount of head also seems to comes w/ each bottle. It was almost like mixing a sweet-tart and wheat beer, and I did enjoy the results.The thing is, in alot of way, it was like a cider, but a sour apple cider, quite interesting.Also by this time you could taste a hint of the ABV. I do wish to sample this fresh, but you know what, spoiled is an interesting and enjoyable alternative (659 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was up int the air about this wiezenbock. I love Aventinis and this was very different. I ad many good tastes like Banana and sweet plum, and was a litle spicy. BUT I really was not fond of the sour side to this beer, some have described it as sour apple and tart. I agree with both and couldn't find a place for that much tart in this beer. It reminded me of a sour ale I drank at Monk's in Philly, that was sour but was supposed to be. (439 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Because Aventinues Weizen Bock is one of my favorite beers, I was very excited when I found this on my recent beer trip to Illinois. Not many breweries brew this style, so it was even more exciting to note that it this is brewed by one of my favorite American breweries: Victory. That being said, I am not so excited about the beer itself.

The beer looks great in the weizen glass. Has a nice rusty brown color, only moderately hazy with a nice solid head that I would expect from any self respecting wheat beer. Lacing is also nice.

The smell is a bit soapy (not from the glass, because I rinsed that sum'bitch good), and the spices and esters seem to be trapped beneath. Very soft and gently roasty malted wheat comes out, as well as banana esters, clove, and other spicing. Good, but has possibility for improvement without the soapiness.

The taste is where this beer begins its descent into blah. The complexity of the nose is lost on the tongue, this time buried under an intensely prickly carbonation combined with a huge peppery spice profile. Still has a bit of the very soft roasty caramel flavor, but not enough to get past the pins & needles in my tongue with any sort of complexity.

If I ever see a fresher sample of this beer, I will definitely try it, but otherwise I probably will not drink this beer again. (1,334 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

poured a deep orange-amber color with nice white head. Smell s banana, spice and vanilla mixed. Tasste is spice and bit too alcoholic for my taste.Finish is good and spice, but the alcohol predominates. A good beer, but a little too stong tasting for me. (254 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Revisited again today, and wasn't as impressed with appearance and nose, although the other areas notched up a bit. All in all, same overall rating more or less, so I won't change the numbers. Guess I'm just not the biggest fan here, or just end up not so lucky with this one...

Newer review:
12oz bottle from, well, somewhere... Best by 3/1/05, oops.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light tan head above the cloudy darkish amber brew. Foamy head lasts well, and exhibits nice foamy lacing. Aroma is husky malts, with fruits, spicing and alcohol all having their say. Taste is similar to my previous, older sample, with sour upfront, grains in the middle, fades to a chalky alcohol finish. Better here, but not much. Mouthfeel and drinkability are also better than the previous bottle sampled, but still not what I'm looking for and/or expecting. Will plan on revisiting with an even fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent.

Original review, 3.2, 1/19/05:
12oz bottle inspired by a bottle received from jcalbi as part of BIFXV. Thanks for the opportunity, even thought that exact bottle was lost in a bizarre refrigerator incident, and I had to obtain a bottle from Yankee Spirits to replace it, which it seems was past its "best by" date. Guess cellaring beers at their store isn't such a good idea. Will revisit as soon as possible and update this review as necessary.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" light tan head above the dark reddish amber brew. Foamy head lasts and lasts, and exhibits good lacing. Aroma is grainy malts, with fruity alcohol easily apparent. Taste is upfront with a fruity tart/sour, a light malt backbone, and then fades into an alcohol flavor, and leaves a chalky feel in the mouth. Seems like it should show more malt character to me. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite low for me, but your milage may vary. Will plan on revisiting with a fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent. (1,979 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle from the 2006 bottling.

Appearance is a nice dark, very cloudy ruddy brown with a substantial off-white head with many different sized bubbles.

Smell is VERY phenolic and filled with lots of alcohol. Other than that some very pronounced green grape aromas, and some things that are very much like plums soaked in brandy or port. Very hot, intensely spicy alcohol is definitely a presence in this one, but this is almost 9%.

Alcohol comes through first. Lots of spicy hot alcohol, and lots of phenols with the grape thing coming through as a really refreshing change of pace from this otherwise kind of abrasive brew. Just really, really spicy and alcoholic and hot.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp, but substantial.

This is not a very drinkable beer, only because of the intense alcohol. (808 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

A-Pours brown with red/orange highlights. Light tan head. Leaves small bits of lacing. Body is mildly opaque.

S-Banana bread. Light chocolate. Yeast and other different spices float about. Alcohol becomes a bit more apparent as the beer warms.

T-Akin to the nose. Banana bread. Nuts and chocolate with yeast and spice. Cloves are present. A bit too solid on the booze here. Not as smooth as other I have tried, a bit too sharp.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth enough with mellow carbonation.

O/D-Overall, it was alright. Not as good as a few others I have tried from the same style. Not very high on drinkablility. Too pricey too at nearly $13 a six pack. One single will permanently be enough for me. (721 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Tried this one on tap in a nice hefe glass. The beer has an opaque caramel color with a one inch head that fades after a few minutes. The beer clings well to the side of the glass, looking almost a little syrup-y.

There are caramelly banana-y overtones in the smell, that sort of sweet fruity combo with a hint of yeast on the end.

Boy is this mother sweet! Very fruity like apple cider, in fact, i was asking myself partway through if i was drinking apple cider... many similar flavors going on. Underneath (and we're talking WAY underneath) are creamy undertones befitting the beer, but the apple ciderness is almost overwhelming the beer of it all.

Mouthfeel isn't as syrupy as its sugary taste implies, making it easier to drink than I'd imagined, but I'd stay away from ordering another full pint again because it's just too sweet for me. (852 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured out a orange-reddish-brownish color, seemed a little bit cloudy as well. The smell consisted of various tropical fruits with some hints of spiciness. Taste was very weird. It was like a tug-of-war between the fruitness and the spiciness. The battle was still going on while I swallowed it. But the aftertaste was too much for me. There was just too much spiciness at the end and I could taste the alcohol at the end too. Had a hard time finishing this beer because of the aftertaste. I will try it again someday, perhaps my tastebuds had a night off or something. (570 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-Dark orangish brown with a thin head of big bubbles. Body has a nice dense haze with a light carbonation

S- bready malt with pronounced banana and just a hint of clove.

T- a Belgian candy flavor with a hint of cloves and a nice maltyness with a bit of wheat. I bit of a tart flavor at the end with a yeasty finish. a hint of alcohol warmth but no hops noted.

M- A medium body with a bit of a fuzziness. No real heat from the alcohol.

D- This is a ok brew. It doesn't have the malt characters that I was looking for and it wasn't as complex as some of the other commercial examples I've had. A nice drink but I will try some other weizenbocks. (697 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

I like Hefe's, I like Dunkel's, I like Weizenbocks?

A - Deep Amber with Ruby and brown. Yeast sediment apparent and dark, head off white and fluffy dropping fast.

S - Dark fruit and mild spice, a little bigger than I (wrongly) expected.

T - A bit of spice up front followed by dark fruits, ends sweet and flavorful. Yeas has an obvious role, alcohol is apparent.

M/D - Full body, sticky lingering flavor. Drinkable for the style, but overall rough. Not a bad beer, not my style...not sure what to do with the other 5. (522 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz. capped bottle, a first for me for the style from an American brewer. Pours a hazed brown with mahogany highlights and a nice soapy inch of off white foam which laces well. Yeast flakes don't want to reenter suspension however.

Nose is rich with caramel and some roasted dark cherry notes, yet lacks the bright banana notes. Instead I get light pine hops muddled with some brown sugar, a bit Dubbel-like in fact. Some warming and agitation does improve things as the yeast becomes more notable.

Flavor follows the nose with some dark fruit and a clean sweetness which seems to defy the body I would expect from a big wheat beer. Lingering caramel sweetness on the finish offers some complexity and a decent drinkability.

Being a fall seasonal, this beer isn't exactly the freshest but this beer doesn't taste old and I've found the style to handle a year or so without issue, unlike lighter weizens. Will seek a fresher brew in the fall.

Note: Best by Sept. 2010 on bottle, so I assume bottles in Sept. '09. (1,051 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices and dark fruits. Taste is like the smell, fruit, spices and alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a good quality brew. (276 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer pours out as a murky brown color with a cream colored foamy head. The head shrinks down and leaves a film over top of the beer. The lacing on this one is decent. The smell of the beer has some banana and wheaty grains on the nose. The taste is a little spicy and has a decent malt backbone. The mouthfeel was a little thin I thought but had a pretty texture for the style. Overall It's a pretty good beer and I'd drink it again. (438 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

The color of this beer is simply amazing. When I poured it into my Aventinus glass, it was glowing like the setting sun. Had to pour roughly to get that hefe head going and then it settled rapidly without even leaving a thin film on top. Aroma is that typical of a Dunkle Weizen with wheatish, apple like aromas. What surprised me is the sourness of this beer. It reminded me of drinking a sour belgian brown ale. There were some cherry flavors mixing with apple, plum, and slight chocolate notes. Could have used a little more sweet chocolate flavors to balance out the sourness. Mouthfeel was smooth and slippery. An interesting beer that I couldn't get my mind around, but not the best example of a Weizenbock. (713 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In my ongoing quest to add more weizens to my regular rotation, I recently ordered a six-pack of Victory Moonglow to try it out. I think I'll buy this again, although it's certainly not the best of the best.

Appearance: Moonglow pours a rich, deep mahogany color, darker toward the top of my weizen glass and more of an opaque amber at the bottom. Naturally, I've swirled and poured the yeast, which is part of the wheat beer routine. A moderate pour yields a voluminous three-finger head, which dissipates within about two minutes and leaves only a small, off-white cap. Not much lacing, but that's fairly standard for the style. This is a nice-looking beer.

Smell: Wow, this stuff smells great! The first adjective that comes to mind is "sweet" -- this might have the most purely sweet aroma I've ever encountered in a beer. I pick up something like brown sugar, maple syrup, and a hint of malted wheat. I hope the taste is this good...

Taste: ...sadly, it's not. The beer isn't bad, by any means, but the predominant flavors I detect are wheaty "twang" and that hard-to-identify metallic/coppery note found in many dark wheat beers. There's also a chalky, clay-like element at play. These three flavors are the longest-lasting flavors after each sip, which means other components are hard to identify. When I concentrate hard, I think I can taste some inert, neutral yeast...I'm not getting the banana/tropical/honey/apple flavors some have suggested. I wish it lived up to the promising nose.

Mouthfeel: Now we're back on track. This feels like an amped-up hefeweizen, with copious, prickly carbonation and a creaminess shared by better examples of the style. My only complaint is some residual chalkiness, presumably from the yeast (or possibly related to that "clay-like" taste I mentioned above). On the whole, though, this beer feels just about right.

Drinkability: Although the ABV is relatively high at 8.70%, it's not at all evident. In that regard, this beer almost seems sessionable. But the taste is just a little too harshly clay-like and neutral for me to want to drink more than one at a time. If only they could ratchet up the malty sweetness, this beer could be something very special. As it stands, though, it's only a slightly above-average American weizenbock.

Postscript: As I approach the bottom of my glass, I find that the yeast appears to be floating in larger particles than usual, and none is sticking to the bottom -- it all remains suspended. I think I may actually have gotten a bad bottle (or six-pack) of this beer. I know it's a seasonal release, and we're now two seasons out, so maybe it's better when fresh? I intend to revisit this beer in the fall. (2,694 characters)

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company