Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

I was up int the air about this wiezenbock. I love Aventinis and this was very different. I ad many good tastes like Banana and sweet plum, and was a litle spicy. BUT I really was not fond of the sour side to this beer, some have described it as sour apple and tart. I agree with both and couldn't find a place for that much tart in this beer. It reminded me of a sour ale I drank at Monk's in Philly, that was sour but was supposed to be.

OatmattStout, Oct 14, 2003
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Revisited again today, and wasn't as impressed with appearance and nose, although the other areas notched up a bit. All in all, same overall rating more or less, so I won't change the numbers. Guess I'm just not the biggest fan here, or just end up not so lucky with this one...

Newer review:
12oz bottle from, well, somewhere... Best by 3/1/05, oops.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light tan head above the cloudy darkish amber brew. Foamy head lasts well, and exhibits nice foamy lacing. Aroma is husky malts, with fruits, spicing and alcohol all having their say. Taste is similar to my previous, older sample, with sour upfront, grains in the middle, fades to a chalky alcohol finish. Better here, but not much. Mouthfeel and drinkability are also better than the previous bottle sampled, but still not what I'm looking for and/or expecting. Will plan on revisiting with an even fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent.

Original review, 3.2, 1/19/05:
12oz bottle inspired by a bottle received from jcalbi as part of BIFXV. Thanks for the opportunity, even thought that exact bottle was lost in a bizarre refrigerator incident, and I had to obtain a bottle from Yankee Spirits to replace it, which it seems was past its "best by" date. Guess cellaring beers at their store isn't such a good idea. Will revisit as soon as possible and update this review as necessary.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" light tan head above the dark reddish amber brew. Foamy head lasts and lasts, and exhibits good lacing. Aroma is grainy malts, with fruity alcohol easily apparent. Taste is upfront with a fruity tart/sour, a light malt backbone, and then fades into an alcohol flavor, and leaves a chalky feel in the mouth. Seems like it should show more malt character to me. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite low for me, but your milage may vary. Will plan on revisiting with a fresher bottle, and see if my views are consistent.

ppoitras, Mar 12, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

poured a deep orange-amber color with nice white head. Smell s banana, spice and vanilla mixed. Tasste is spice and bit too alcoholic for my taste.Finish is good and spice, but the alcohol predominates. A good beer, but a little too stong tasting for me.

tgbljb, Aug 10, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured out a orange-reddish-brownish color, seemed a little bit cloudy as well. The smell consisted of various tropical fruits with some hints of spiciness. Taste was very weird. It was like a tug-of-war between the fruitness and the spiciness. The battle was still going on while I swallowed it. But the aftertaste was too much for me. There was just too much spiciness at the end and I could taste the alcohol at the end too. Had a hard time finishing this beer because of the aftertaste. I will try it again someday, perhaps my tastebuds had a night off or something.

necoadam, Jan 03, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A-Pours brown with red/orange highlights. Light tan head. Leaves small bits of lacing. Body is mildly opaque.

S-Banana bread. Light chocolate. Yeast and other different spices float about. Alcohol becomes a bit more apparent as the beer warms.

T-Akin to the nose. Banana bread. Nuts and chocolate with yeast and spice. Cloves are present. A bit too solid on the booze here. Not as smooth as other I have tried, a bit too sharp.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth enough with mellow carbonation.

O/D-Overall, it was alright. Not as good as a few others I have tried from the same style. Not very high on drinkablility. Too pricey too at nearly $13 a six pack. One single will permanently be enough for me.

VelvetExtract, Dec 27, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Tried this one on tap in a nice hefe glass. The beer has an opaque caramel color with a one inch head that fades after a few minutes. The beer clings well to the side of the glass, looking almost a little syrup-y.

There are caramelly banana-y overtones in the smell, that sort of sweet fruity combo with a hint of yeast on the end.

Boy is this mother sweet! Very fruity like apple cider, in fact, i was asking myself partway through if i was drinking apple cider... many similar flavors going on. Underneath (and we're talking WAY underneath) are creamy undertones befitting the beer, but the apple ciderness is almost overwhelming the beer of it all.

Mouthfeel isn't as syrupy as its sugary taste implies, making it easier to drink than I'd imagined, but I'd stay away from ordering another full pint again because it's just too sweet for me.

eveninghawk, Sep 13, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz. bottle from the 2006 bottling.

Appearance is a nice dark, very cloudy ruddy brown with a substantial off-white head with many different sized bubbles.

Smell is VERY phenolic and filled with lots of alcohol. Other than that some very pronounced green grape aromas, and some things that are very much like plums soaked in brandy or port. Very hot, intensely spicy alcohol is definitely a presence in this one, but this is almost 9%.

Alcohol comes through first. Lots of spicy hot alcohol, and lots of phenols with the grape thing coming through as a really refreshing change of pace from this otherwise kind of abrasive brew. Just really, really spicy and alcoholic and hot.

Mouthfeel is good, crisp, but substantial.

This is not a very drinkable beer, only because of the intense alcohol.

veggiemafia, Oct 05, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

In my ongoing quest to add more weizens to my regular rotation, I recently ordered a six-pack of Victory Moonglow to try it out. I think I'll buy this again, although it's certainly not the best of the best.

Appearance: Moonglow pours a rich, deep mahogany color, darker toward the top of my weizen glass and more of an opaque amber at the bottom. Naturally, I've swirled and poured the yeast, which is part of the wheat beer routine. A moderate pour yields a voluminous three-finger head, which dissipates within about two minutes and leaves only a small, off-white cap. Not much lacing, but that's fairly standard for the style. This is a nice-looking beer.

Smell: Wow, this stuff smells great! The first adjective that comes to mind is "sweet" -- this might have the most purely sweet aroma I've ever encountered in a beer. I pick up something like brown sugar, maple syrup, and a hint of malted wheat. I hope the taste is this good...

Taste: ...sadly, it's not. The beer isn't bad, by any means, but the predominant flavors I detect are wheaty "twang" and that hard-to-identify metallic/coppery note found in many dark wheat beers. There's also a chalky, clay-like element at play. These three flavors are the longest-lasting flavors after each sip, which means other components are hard to identify. When I concentrate hard, I think I can taste some inert, neutral yeast...I'm not getting the banana/tropical/honey/apple flavors some have suggested. I wish it lived up to the promising nose.

Mouthfeel: Now we're back on track. This feels like an amped-up hefeweizen, with copious, prickly carbonation and a creaminess shared by better examples of the style. My only complaint is some residual chalkiness, presumably from the yeast (or possibly related to that "clay-like" taste I mentioned above). On the whole, though, this beer feels just about right.

Drinkability: Although the ABV is relatively high at 8.70%, it's not at all evident. In that regard, this beer almost seems sessionable. But the taste is just a little too harshly clay-like and neutral for me to want to drink more than one at a time. If only they could ratchet up the malty sweetness, this beer could be something very special. As it stands, though, it's only a slightly above-average American weizenbock.

Postscript: As I approach the bottom of my glass, I find that the yeast appears to be floating in larger particles than usual, and none is sticking to the bottom -- it all remains suspended. I think I may actually have gotten a bad bottle (or six-pack) of this beer. I know it's a seasonal release, and we're now two seasons out, so maybe it's better when fresh? I intend to revisit this beer in the fall.

UGADawgGuy, Mar 11, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -17%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-Dark orangish brown with a thin head of big bubbles. Body has a nice dense haze with a light carbonation

S- bready malt with pronounced banana and just a hint of clove.

T- a Belgian candy flavor with a hint of cloves and a nice maltyness with a bit of wheat. I bit of a tart flavor at the end with a yeasty finish. a hint of alcohol warmth but no hops noted.

M- A medium body with a bit of a fuzziness. No real heat from the alcohol.

D- This is a ok brew. It doesn't have the malt characters that I was looking for and it wasn't as complex as some of the other commercial examples I've had. A nice drink but I will try some other weizenbocks.

rhoadsrage, Mar 14, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -17%

I like Hefe's, I like Dunkel's, I like Weizenbocks?

A - Deep Amber with Ruby and brown. Yeast sediment apparent and dark, head off white and fluffy dropping fast.

S - Dark fruit and mild spice, a little bigger than I (wrongly) expected.

T - A bit of spice up front followed by dark fruits, ends sweet and flavorful. Yeas has an obvious role, alcohol is apparent.

M/D - Full body, sticky lingering flavor. Drinkable for the style, but overall rough. Not a bad beer, not my style...not sure what to do with the other 5.

magnj, Sep 04, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Reddish brown with a tan head. Cloudy and unfiltered.

S: Banana and caramel. Very sweet, very nice. Definite boozy hint.

T: Booze all the way through, but nicely complimented with a very malty and dark taste of caramel and roasted something. Banana and cherry evident. Nicely balanced.

M: Creamy and smooth, definite alcohol warm all the way down.

O: Nice brew, complex and interesting. Very sweet but balanced.

bundy462, Jul 29, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Victory nailed the look for this one perfectly. Murky, brownish, with yellow on the edges. Massive light brown 4+ finger head forms with great retention. A thick cap remains throughout the duration, some lacing hanging around as well.

S - Typical aroma of banana and clove, with the banana being a little stronger than I'd expect for the style. The phenolic character is also met with a big hit of alcohol, lowering the score somewhat. No bready or nutty aromas as I'd expected.

T - Begins fairly sweet, like if a hefe and dunkel had met in the middle and then multiplied by 2. The sweet banana has some kind of spice element behind it, perhaps reminding me more of cinnamon and/or nutmeg than clove. Unfortunately this drops off after a few seconds and an earthy flavor takes control, setting the stage for a very unexpected and out of place bitterness. Along with the bitterness the alcohol breaks through as well with a very rough edge. Everything falls apart late palate. Not sure what they were going for here.

M - On par with the style. Creamy, smooth, medium bodied, with a soft, moderate-level carbonation.

D - I really wanted to like this beer, but after having one in a more casual/less critical setting last night and having one again tonight to review it, this beer just doesn't quite cut it in terms of taste. The taste isn't bad or off but it's not well balanced, and the huge presence of bitterness pretty much lowers the drinkability of any wheat-based beer, and all that alcohol pulling through makes it hard to appreciate the mild and sometimes subtle fruity flavors going on. Not a bad beer, but the taste really needs some work.

PatrickJR, Oct 13, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Cloudy ruddy brown. Huge head and heavy carbonation. Lots of lace. A beautiful brew.

Smell: Like a hefeweizen with a heavier malt backbone. Alcohol is noticeable, bit not distracting. Definite banana and clove, with a nice spiciness from the yeast.

Taste: Heavy carbonation assaults my tongue, displacing all flavor for the first few moments. Creamy and smooth after that, with some heavy-handed, if honest, green banana notes. I don't really find the cloves as much as I would have expected. Very dry, though. Alcohol numbs the tongue and warms the throat.

Notes: This is my last out of a sixer, and I will not purchase again. Try it if you like the style, but don't judge Victory based on this offereing, Make sure and try the Storm King and Hopdevil first.

rabidawg, Nov 04, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

The color of this beer is simply amazing. When I poured it into my Aventinus glass, it was glowing like the setting sun. Had to pour roughly to get that hefe head going and then it settled rapidly without even leaving a thin film on top. Aroma is that typical of a Dunkle Weizen with wheatish, apple like aromas. What surprised me is the sourness of this beer. It reminded me of drinking a sour belgian brown ale. There were some cherry flavors mixing with apple, plum, and slight chocolate notes. Could have used a little more sweet chocolate flavors to balance out the sourness. Mouthfeel was smooth and slippery. An interesting beer that I couldn't get my mind around, but not the best example of a Weizenbock.

Longstaff, Oct 07, 2003
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

This beer pours out as a murky brown color with a cream colored foamy head. The head shrinks down and leaves a film over top of the beer. The lacing on this one is decent. The smell of the beer has some banana and wheaty grains on the nose. The taste is a little spicy and has a decent malt backbone. The mouthfeel was a little thin I thought but had a pretty texture for the style. Overall It's a pretty good beer and I'd drink it again.

Knapp85, Jun 07, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz. capped bottle, a first for me for the style from an American brewer. Pours a hazed brown with mahogany highlights and a nice soapy inch of off white foam which laces well. Yeast flakes don't want to reenter suspension however.

Nose is rich with caramel and some roasted dark cherry notes, yet lacks the bright banana notes. Instead I get light pine hops muddled with some brown sugar, a bit Dubbel-like in fact. Some warming and agitation does improve things as the yeast becomes more notable.

Flavor follows the nose with some dark fruit and a clean sweetness which seems to defy the body I would expect from a big wheat beer. Lingering caramel sweetness on the finish offers some complexity and a decent drinkability.

Being a fall seasonal, this beer isn't exactly the freshest but this beer doesn't taste old and I've found the style to handle a year or so without issue, unlike lighter weizens. Will seek a fresher brew in the fall.

Note: Best by Sept. 2010 on bottle, so I assume bottles in Sept. '09.

HalfFull, Apr 22, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices and dark fruits. Taste is like the smell, fruit, spices and alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a good quality brew.

tone77, Jun 13, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

I've waited for this seasonal all year and finally it came out this fall. I sat on it for a month or so, but I'm really in the mood for one of these tonight.

APPEARANCE: Poured with a swirl of the sediment, this beer is a bronze to pale brown in color and hazy. The head starts at 2 fingers high but immediately shrinks to a firm off-white cap that holds to the end. I think this beer is just way too light in color.

SMELL: The smell is much more toward the clove side than banana but contains decent proportions of each. The yeast smell is quite authentic and doesn't seem like an American substitute was used. An alcoholic booziness is quite apparent, particularly as the beer warms.

TASTE: The banana flavors are much more prominent in the taste, but it is still in decent balance with the clove. The wheat provides some much more neutral flavors than in other weizenbocks, but the dark grains are there and add some depth of flavor. The one striking thing is that it is really boozy. The alcohol is quite overpowering.

MOUTHFEEL: It's got decent body but feels deceptively light and fluffy. Carbonation is strong and piquant.

DRINKABILITY: The alcohol makes it a rough go, but the lighter-feeling body balances that out somewhat. Regardless, I think I'd be one and done for this one.

Ah well, maybe weizenbock is just a tough style for domestic brewers to get right. Or maybe I'm just spoiled from having Aventinus so much. Either way, it's close, but just way too hot.

jmalex, Dec 14, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

This brew pours a murky reddish amber with very little cascading and a thin dark blonde head. The aroma is tart and gingery with evidence of banana esters, and the taste is sweeter than I expected after the initial sudden burst of tanginess. There's a lot of carbonation in this weizen bock so I feel it all the way down the my throat. The aftertaste is rather sticky.

longpondbeerman, Nov 12, 2003
3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a very cloudy caramel color with a small light tan head -- active carbonation and quite a bit of sediment in the bottle. The aroma is very sweet and floral, with almost honeysuckle tones. It has a very nice, full mouthfeel that was far less "bubbly" than I expected from the appearance, but the taste didn't work for me. Not that it was bad -- in fact, it was almost a "pretty" taste that reminded me of spiced liquid flowers. But it was way too sweet for my palate. It was fairly easy drinking, I suppose - -and it might be interesting to try it on a hot summer day, but the sweetness would discourage me from more than one.

jtfest, Mar 14, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Came in an 11oz pour a dark copper with a thin white head that died to just a wisp.

Smells of wheat and grain is about all I could get, possibly honey or sweetness. The taste is almost all Belgian, citrus mostly lemon and some honey sweetness on the finish.

It was slightly syrupy on the tongue with the sweet aftertaste, a nice sipping beer but not all that complex.

ImusBeer, Oct 26, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured in a Dogfish Head Pint Glass.

Light brown ale with suspended bits of unfiltered sludge swirling around within (I guess I should not have poured the whole bottle out). 1/2 inch bubbly lace that was gone in 30 seconds, to almost no lace.

Strong yeast smell, slight barley on the end, very faint toffee. Taste is very similar- yeast predominates, with malt and barley notes.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the flatter side, with a medium to light body. I would not drink this on a daily basis as it's not my style, but it feels like it's a solid representation of this style given other's I've tried.

CraftAleRookie, Jan 02, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a brownish-cherry color with a thin tan head. Highly carbonated and hazy with slight suspended sediment. The aroma is a mix of citusy and grassy wheat smells, with a hint of yeastiness. This brew has an underlying sweetness that is presented at the first sip, and a full-force tartness (bordering on sour) that sticks through the aftertaste. It's really a refreshing, but slightly heavy beer. Not really what I expected, but it's very good.

Suds, Apr 13, 2003
Photo of

12oz. bottle

Hazy brown/orange color. Tan head, medium in size.

Aroma was bananas, bubblegum, bread and vanilla.

Taste was all about the malt. Sweet banana bread. Did I mention that you taste bananas? Vanilla and caramel round out this offering. Finally, a bit of hops for balance at the end, mixed with a little pepper.

Close to heavy in body. Medium + in carbonation. Quite a bit of "zing" in the mouthfeel. Alcohol warming comes early and stays late. A sweet/refreshing beer.

Good stylistically, but not my favorite. Bananas a bit too much for me.

, Dec 20, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

a: ruby red color, medium head that slowly recedes to a thin layer and ring, decent lacing
s: soft sweet fruit -- pineapple with hints of spice, consistent weizenbock smell
t: nice mix of heavy wheat, yeast / malts with tart undertones, finishes with bitterness/tartness and mild warming alcohol
m: creamy body with good mix and plenty of carbonation that is over the top at the finish
d: fairly easy to drink but unfortunately not one of the better weizenbock's i've had

belgbeerdrinker, Apr 25, 2009