Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Best by Aug 11, 2012

Pours a hazy amber color with nice head and pretty good lacing. Nice collar forms as the head recedes.

Smells like spice, fruits, alcohol, and herbs. Like a fruitcake or potpourri.

Taste opens with the fruits and an earthy tone, moving into the spiced and fruit flavors. Finishes with the spice and a bit of lingering sweetness. Not cloying, but it definitely lingers a bit.

Mouthfeel is flat feeling and a little thin. Not what I expected.

Overall, its pretty good, nothing great.

bs870621345, Nov 11, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Antnyd82, Jan 09, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day.

99bottles, Oct 28, 2003

nesarebad, Jan 18, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

msanborn, Sep 02, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Leschber, Yesterday at 01:27 AM

jackrodgers77, Nov 22, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance is a red/brown with a respectable head that turns into a crown with decent lacing.

Scent is piney, with banana and orange peel also rearing their head.

Taste is sneaky; almost watery at first then a nice balanced hop flavor comes in at the end.

Mouthfeel is adequate. Medium carbonation and body.

Drinkability is good, it's a good smooth beer that goes down easy. I will order again.

sonicdescent, Jan 04, 2009

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass. 04/23/09.

Pours a cloudy brownish amber color with tons of little floaties. A four finger beige head slowly settled to a thin layer. Aroma is a mix of ripe banana, wheat, orange peel, bubble gum, caramel, and toasted malt. Smells great!

Taste is rich and malty sweet up front with lots of breadiness, toasted malt, and caramel. Lots of raisin and fig. Good wheat and banana flavor, and some clove as well. A touch of alcohol in the finish. Feel is very smooth and medium-full bodied. Plenty of carbonation. Some alcohol warming in the finish. Drinkability is pretty good. It's a bit heavy, but goes down smoothly.

Overall, a very good representation of the style. I'd get this again.

bkilpatr, Apr 24, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Light caramel colored body, cloudy, as expected with many bits of yeast slowing falling to the bottom. Very good lacing as the light tan billowy head recedes. The body does tend to 'glow' as the yeast disperses the light.

S: Very aromatic; I can smell it even when the glass is 24 inches away. Smells powerfully of wonderful weizen yeast.

T: The odor translates very nicely into the flavor of this beer. There is a distinct sweetness as well, which is flushed away by yeast esters, as well as a slight bitterness and alcohol bite.

M: The mouthfeel on this beer is something special. I poured it a little rough, and the carbonation level is very good. There is a distinct thickness without feeling sticky.

D: A clean finishing beer without any unpleasant alcohol aftertastes.

51mmz0rz, Nov 05, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

First of all, I should have paid more attention to the word "unfiltered" on the bottle because when I poured this in my glass I noticed the significant amount of what looks like little tiny bits of hops floating around in there. They are definitely too big to just be yeast so drinkers beware, treat this like a homebrew and leave a little bit at the bottom. Looks like I'll be getting a little more fiber with this one.

In any case, it pours a amber brown, a little more appealing than a Dunkleweizen in terms of not being totally muddy looking. With a big frothy head typical of a wheat beer. It has a nice orangey glow to it.. damn I wish I hadn't poured this whole thing in like I'm watering my plants though.

Aroma hits me straight off the bat as yeast. Exactly like a Dunkleweizen. I think the other weizenbocks I've had haven't really been this fruity smelling.. so I'm not sure how it's really supposed to be.

Taste is pretty comparable to the smell. Banana like yeast flavors, solid dry malt backbone with little sweetness lingering. Musty, old flavor with a slight refreshing sweet hop aftertaste. Honestly this is not what I expected. I thought it was going to be more of a strong, lighter, high alcohol beer.. sort of like Hevelius only lighter. But I'll take this as a learning experience. The BA description of Weizenbock basically describes it as a strong Dunkleweizen and that's exactly what it is and they do it well. It's fruity, sort of like overripe apples, with a lot of banana flavor from the yeast exactly like Franziskaner Dunkleweizen. The alcohol mixes really nicely with the Dunklweizen flavor and makes it very enjoyable. I once bought a case of Franziskaner Dunkleweizen and after 20 of them or so became increasingly intolerant of its musky Germanness and this is definitely bringing back those memories. Really amazing to see such a dead-on German style from an American brewery and so well done.

wiseguy142, Nov 13, 2008

Sailracer, Mar 24, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance: Deep, deep copper, with a small, off-white head.

Aroma: Can you say bananas? Some yeasty notes and some faint malt.

Taste: Acidic, with more bananas in the palate. Somewhat sour.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, sour flavors. Dry and short on the finish.

Drinkability: Wow! I am glad I only bought one bottle. A solid representation of the style, but not the style for me.

winomark, Oct 30, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass

A- Pours a cloudy, apple cider like orangish brown beer. Slightly off white head. A pale orange on the bottom and sides of the beer. Forms a decent amount of head but drops at a good pace.

S- Yeast, bubble gum, bready, and slightly sweet.

T- Exactly like the nose. Yeast, bubble gum, bread, and a little bit of wheat. For how much alcohol is in this, it is well masked. Doesn't fully evade the tastebuds, but would never guess this is almost 9%. Dont notice the carbonation but can taste some.

M- Very easy going. Light to medium bodied, but more on the light side. Somewhat drying with that abv, if anything thats the biggest indicator of the 8.7%.

D- I've tried to make this a session beer. By the time I hit 4 it usually ends up being a good night. The main thing is this taste's like a session beer, but its really not. Need to be careful. I'm grateful that I was able to buy a case though thanks to living in PA.

Notes: A good unfiltered beer. Reminds me slightly of the Mad King Weiss from Victory. IMO though, ALL wheats should be unfiltered.

haazer, Oct 17, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

RPH2327, Aug 18, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to IrishRedRock for the trade

This beer pours a murky brown orange color. So murky I forgot to swirl and add the sedimented yeast at the bottom. The head was meager. This wheat beer has the strong scent of banana, with hints of caramel. Smells very smeet. Moderate carbonation. Very fruity flavor, again huge amounts of banana. Belgian candi sugar? Sweet toffee and caramel. I can see why others have described this as slightly medicinal. Smooth. Bitterness comes in and balances the sweetness pretty well, though it still ends on the sweet side and slightly syrupy. Medium to full body. Alcohol warmth is nice. Actually went nicely with some coffeecake I had.

Overall: First, this is not Aventinus. Accept that, and you can appreciate this nice interpretation of a strong dark wheat beer.

oggg, Dec 06, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Enjoyed on tap at the Victory brewery in Downingtown, PA.

Arrived a dark murky brown. The thick head disipated quickly.

Aroma is full and rich with citrus and banana, as well as a distinct spicy herbal quality. Packs the crisp effervesence trademark of a weizen.

Flavor is deep and sharp. Smooth banana is accented by spices of clove and black pepper. Dark fruits make up another major element... figs, plum, and even raisens. Warming alcohol character is detectable, and seems to be wrapped up in the figs and plums.

My first sampling of the style, and I am impressed. An excellent fall style, crisp yet rich and warming. This paired excellently with their "Victory Burger" with peppers, onions, and hot pepper cheese.

HugoGrim, Sep 19, 2006

RyanPS, Nov 16, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a reddish brown with substantial head that dissipates slowly leaving a modest cap.

Sweet malt, banana, and dark fruit to the nose.

Caramel malt and molasses up front, fruit elements lead to slight bitterness in the finish.

Creamy and smooth mouthfeel.

Too drinkable, tasty stuff and watch the ABV. Not bad at all, but Aventinus is still better.

techdiver, Sep 27, 2007

JJStorm, Nov 14, 2012

BMan33, Jan 30, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

micropale, Aug 01, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

My sample poured a hazy amber color with a decent amount of head that left little to no lacing. The aroma was a mixture of deep caramels of phenols, but mostly fruity esters with a little bit of bananas and clove.

This is not my favorite style of beer, but that being said, I think it was a nice representation of the style. As usual, a pretty good beer from Victory.

Sixpoint, Apr 14, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a crystal dark amber color with a big poof of head.

Aroma is strong rich malt, a little bit of esters but nothing overpowering.

Flavor follows closely behind the aroma witha giant burst of malt, leaves a nice rich malt sweetness in the mouth.

Overall not my favorite style and could possibly use a little melanoiden character to add to its complexity but damn tasty regardless.

SShelly, Feb 08, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

When I finally found a new 6'er from my favorite brewery, it was settled that I had to try it. Plus this is a fairly rare style which had received some pretty high praise and this certainly did not disappoint.

Appearance - Wow! Crazy white head that plumped up every single time and stuck around. Also, had a deep, bright orange color and an awesome hazy texture.

Smell - Very potent coriandor (along with other spices) supported by some nice dark fruits.

Taste - This was pretty awesome, potent yeasts and a very nice toasted taste come out first. Then you get into the spices, coriandor and the darker fruits is extremely interestng and satifsying.

Mouthfeel - The strong yeasts in this brew, really give this some serious power! The spices and fruits leave a nice slightly bitter, though the flavors are so strong, they can overwhelm a bit unless sipped slowly.

Drinkability - My first weizenbock in a 6'er and a very pleasant experience. Having all the wheat spices in a darker, powerful brew like this instead of a lighter weizen/weiss beer was a great contrast. This brew delivered on all fronts and this should be no surprise as Victory gives us another winner!

jdg204, Nov 17, 2007