Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy rust color with thin cream colored head; delicate sheeting into a few dots. Smell: sweet wheat bread, caramel, big clove, and a banana pudding (chemically banana) note. Taste: banana pudding made with cloves, topped with caramel. If you made this, it would taste just like this beer. There's really nothing else going on... a note of brown bread. It's enjoyable and, well, it's hard to completely whiff on this style, but it's not even on the same field as a poor-man's version of Aventinus. 2014 fall bottling.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Dark, copper brown. Thin white head

S: over-ripe bananas, apples and spice, bread crust

T: Sweet and malty upfront, spiciness from the Belgian yeast and finishes with some spice and a maybe a little funk?

M: solid carbonation gives a strong effervescent mouthfeel.

O: picked this bottle up out of curiosity. I don't usually like the Belgian yeast taste and shy away from beers like this but this was very good for both taste and mouth feel. Would drink again

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Muddy copper. Nose is bready and that old familiar funk is also present. Nutty but not really getting the traditional banana notes. The finish is slightly cidery.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer comes in a dark red orange.

The aroma is of roasted apples, ripe banana, clove, a hint of breadiness and nuts.

The flavor flavors of those fruit flavors, a medium plus theme of phenolic character. There's a touch of sweetness and breadiness, along with nuts.

The beer has high carbonation and tastes very much like a traditional German stalwarts in the style. A wonderful American attempt at the style.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Victory Brewing Company's Moonglow Weizenbock a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at Holiday Market. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while now since I'm a big fan of the style, but it wasn't till I stopped into Holiday Market that I finally found a bottle of it and I'm very interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage, enjoy by august 19th 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look ok, the design goes well with the name, but I don't think it's the most eye catching. It poured a nice caramel amber color that took on more of a ruby red color when held to the light with almost four fingers worth of very creamy tan head that died down a thin layer that stayed till the end it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a with a very high amount of medium sweetness with a nice fruit aroma being the first to show up and it's a nice and even mixture of green apple and banana like aromas with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a wheat, bready, bread crust, sweet malt and lightly toasted aroma with a light nutty aroma showing up in the end along with some spices with cloves sticking out the most. This beer had a very nice aroma and it's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart the same malty aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes a light alcohol flavor that leads right into the fruits which impart the same banana and green apple aspects that they did in the aroma with the green apple seeming to stick out just a little more than the banana this time. Towards the end comes some spices and nutty flavors with a lighter amount of bitterness and some spices, green apple and wheat showing up in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer that's just what I expect from the style.

M- Smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was right on the border of being highly carbonated. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was a little creamy instead of being pretty crisp and slightly prickly.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of the style, it had all the key aspects that I look for in the style with the carbonation being the only aspect that felt a little out of place. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, pretty crisp, slightly prickly, just a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think two would be my limit, anymore than that and i think the prickly carbonation would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, aroma and appearance, they were all very nice and they worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but I felt like the carbonation was a little too lively for the style. I would buy this beer again if I see it and I will for sure get some next year if shows up in my area. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the style, it does a good job at showing what the style all about and it's good example of a American made Weizenbock. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it did a good job at satisfying my urge for a good Weizenbock. It isn't my favorite of the style, but it is one of the better Victory beers I've had. Great job guys, this was one tasty Weizenbock, keep up the good work guys.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%