Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Moonglow WeizenbockMoonglow Weizenbock

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 698 | Hads: 1,269
2.56/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep, deep copper, with a small, off-white head.

Aroma: Can you say bananas? Some yeasty notes and some faint malt.

Taste: Acidic, with more bananas in the palate. Somewhat sour.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, sour flavors. Dry and short on the finish.

Drinkability: Wow! I am glad I only bought one bottle. A solid representation of the style, but not the style for me. (381 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3%

12 oz bottle with a drink by date August 20, 2004. Tasted 10/26/03

This beer poured a hazy dark brownish burgundy body. There was a small creamy tan head that died almost immediately but at over 8% it's no surprise it died so quickly.

The nose was very inviting. Dark malts, wheat, spice, some floral notes, dark cherries, apples, spice, cinnamon and a touch of alcohol.

The taste was very thick and full-bodied. Very malty with a dark sugary sweetness. Wheat, caramel, some cider notes. Rather smooth and watery as it goes down. A touch of apple peel. An earthy hop taste with a rather chalky bitterness.

It ends with a burst of hop bitterness accompanied by some fruit flavors. The bitterness really takes its time to fade.

Basically a really nice weis bock from a great brewery. (796 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day. (1,309 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Not quite what I expected from Victory but a good beer nonetheless. Pours a dark reddish-orange with a head that really seems to sneak up on you. Smells sweet and sugary, and a little wheaty. The taste is a lot more complex than it seems at first--it evolves from almost unreasonably sweet to grainy and alcoholic, bearing a faint hint of apple cider. The sweetness quickly fades from the aftertaste leaving bitterness on the palate.

Of the seasonal brews I've had this year, Moonglow is certainly one of the best, but it is also the most expensive, hands-down. I bought it thinking that, being a Victory, it had the potential to rock my world. In the end however, I wish I would have sought out a store that sold it by the single, instead of $11 for a sixer. Funny how I can say this is both one of the best beers I've had recently and one of the most overpriced I've had ever. When you think about it, buying good beer can be really funny sometimes. (954 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

First off, did anyone else see the little ghosts on the bottle, or was it just me? Anyways, I must say, this is one beer with mixed reviews from me. The appearance was stellar. It was a murky amber color with a beautiful head. The head was super thick and very frothy, which lasted quite a while. The smell was a mixture of many things. It was very strong in the area of fruits, like citrus, plums, and grapes. It was also had a subtle pumpkin pie smell to it. This also came out in the taste, which had both clashing together. I thought it was waaay to sweet and was more like fruit salad, than beer. I am definately going to stay clear of this one. I usually am a huge fan of what Victory puts out, but this one was stretchin' it for me. (739 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.5%

I can't really say that this is a bad beer, but at the same time I can't say that I enjoyed it at all. Although the brewing expertise of the boys at Victory shows, I have to say that this was one of their worse ideas. Moonglow is a very well crafted beer. The mouthfeel is great and it looks fantastic, but I just think that the flavor is awful. It's not that the Victory boys didn't achieve what they set out to accomplish, it's just that they probably shouldn't have done it in the first place. I think that this stuff tastes horrible, and I'm certainly not planning on buying it again, but I think that this is a result of personal tastes, not the quality of the beer. I guess it's worth trying once, but don't say I didn't warn you if it doesn't agree with your tastes. (773 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Hazy chestnut color with a nice tan colored head that lasts. Over-ripened banana, clove and estery aromas. This weizenbock packs quite the punch, at 8.7%, yet so intriguing it makes you want another. Deep roasted wheat flavor mixed with tropical fruit flavors finishing slightly phenolic and tart. Perfect beer for hanging outside on a chilly autumn night. I've had quite a few German weizenbocks, and this one from the geniuses at Victory is just as good, if not better than some of those counterparts.

A friend calls this beer "Grandma's banana nut bread in a bottle". (573 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Fianally found this one, been on the look-out for awhile now. Will stock up for the winter. Dark hazy reddish brown with plenty of cloud cover from the swirling yeast. Head is tan, more effervescent that expected and different from other weizens, fades quicker as well. Smell is strong tropical fruits and yeast esters. Taste is buttery smooth and rich with alcohol soaked bananas, apples and pears. Pretty sweet and definite alcohol presence. Thankfully though it doesn't fail to show me the yeasty esters toward the end. This guy's more carbonated that the few other weizenbocks around. Weizenbocks are a fantastic style and this is a great American example. (660 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer pours a brooding and bemused amber color with the head impressive in size, the color an off white with a sticky sheet of lace that clings mightily to the glass. The nose lemon-lime like as in citrus crisp, bubble gun and bananas, what a “Hoot”. Sweet and sour start, the top middling in feel and the finish mildly acidic, hops are forceful in their bite, quite dry aftertaste. One of my favorites from Victory, and thanks to several “BA’s”, I’ve managed to store a few and they seem to age quite well, but actually never last more than 6 months. (560 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Hot Dog! A new Victory product hits my area!!
This baby has a rich, somewhat cloudy russet color. Head is rich and fine, tan, about 1/2" thick to start, but fades fast to a lining around the rim. It does stick nicely to the glass. In addition, a steady stream of carbonation heads surfaceward. Upon having a whiff I was first reminded of Aventinus, with a pleasant banana/clove combo. Soon thereafter I picked up a lot of apple aromas, with a hint of spiciness thrown in. I found the body to be about medium, and it felt creamy/bubbly/velvety on the tongue. Quite nice! There are plenty of fruity flavors residing here. I got some green apples and perhaps tropical fruit (mango?) along with banana. Clove is here as well, along with a suggestion of chocolate as it warms. Seems heavy on the fruit though. Is this a trait of it being young? No bottled-on date, but had an enjoy-by date of Aug '04 on the label. Quite good overall (I had 3 of them!), but fruitier than expected. Maybe cellaring would help? We'll see! Prosit!!!

overall: 4.05
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4

641 (1,117 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

This beer poured to a deep bronze color with very little head. The aroma was an interesting combo of sweetness, fruits, and some yeast. This had a big malty flavor, with fruitiness and bitterness blending well together. The malt is thick on the tongue, and then a sour sensation kicks in. Thicker bodied and little carbonation caused the head to disappear quickly. One of these is enough in a sitting, but very tasty. The high alcohol level is fairly noticeable too. (466 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a thick plum color with a great sticky, retentious head. The color of this beer is wonderful to look at. Aroma intrigues me with big green apple, yeast, phenolics, and raisin. What I found at first to be overpowering green apple did not bother me for long. This beer is strong and proud, and all of its bold flavors meld together wonderfully. The dark caramel malts back up the yeast flavors and leave a little bit of sweetness that the german hops cannot fight. Possibly a little thicker and a little less carbonated than I would like. This beer is a very solid, very complex brew. (588 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.5%

Just a little slice of heaven this one is. Had this on tap at the Victory brewpub en route to the Beer Yard. God, am I glad I stopped. Victory really proved itself to me with this beer, because before I wasn't really a fan. I realize now how fortunate I am to live so close to one of the great American breweries. *gets a little veklempt, wipes tear from eye, takes deep breath*

Okay, I'm gonna review this one from memory (taking notes on beer is just not something I'm prepared to do just yet. Somewhere I have to draw the line. Maybe I'm just in denial of my beergeekdom.)

Beautiful copper color. Rich bananna, yeast, and pumpkin pie spice aroma. Taste is not unlike a Belgian dark strong ale, but this has a lot more body and is much richer. An explosive symphony of flavor. Describing the taste too much just won't do it justice. Alcohol is not noticeable in the flavor, but you can tell that this is a sipper. If you have actually taken a minute or two out of your life to read this, do yourself a favor and get this. Actually, drive to the brewery and get this on draft. Yeah, you may live in Nebraska, but you're a beer geek. You don't have anything better to do. (1,180 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whoa....To the Victor(y) belongs the spoils. I just may move to PA if they keep this up. This should be a kick ass beer at 8.7, but it is soooo smooth, I couldn't tell....Banana, citrus, tingly tongue were definitely there. The color was that of fresh pressed cider witha nice head. Mouthfeel was round and smooth with a hint of malt to impress in the drinkability category. This was the last single bottle on the shelf of my favorite packy....too bad...gotta remind them to order more!!!! (489 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was up int the air about this wiezenbock. I love Aventinis and this was very different. I ad many good tastes like Banana and sweet plum, and was a litle spicy. BUT I really was not fond of the sour side to this beer, some have described it as sour apple and tart. I agree with both and couldn't find a place for that much tart in this beer. It reminded me of a sour ale I drank at Monk's in Philly, that was sour but was supposed to be. (439 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer pours a rich, thick, cloudy burgundy with a fairly thick tan head. A pungent wheaty aroma permeates the atomosphere around the glass. Alcohol and malt also donates to this permeation and it's wonderful. It's rich, malty, wheaty at first drink. Alcohol and a slightly sour taste make for an interesting finish and aftertaste. The crisp carbonation and smooth wheat character make for a very drinkable brew considering it's 8.7% ABV. This high ABV is warming in the mouth and stomach, making this a brew I would crave if I had a house with a fireplace to sit next to with an amazing beer to enjoy. (605 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%

The color of this beer is simply amazing. When I poured it into my Aventinus glass, it was glowing like the setting sun. Had to pour roughly to get that hefe head going and then it settled rapidly without even leaving a thin film on top. Aroma is that typical of a Dunkle Weizen with wheatish, apple like aromas. What surprised me is the sourness of this beer. It reminded me of drinking a sour belgian brown ale. There were some cherry flavors mixing with apple, plum, and slight chocolate notes. Could have used a little more sweet chocolate flavors to balance out the sourness. Mouthfeel was smooth and slippery. An interesting beer that I couldn't get my mind around, but not the best example of a Weizenbock. (713 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance – Luscious orange-brown in color with a good head that left a nice film.

Smell – This is a lovely combination of dark yeast aromas and toasted bock scents. The fruits are not bashful, either. The apricot, plum, and big banana are large and in charge.

Taste – This is more weizen than bock. The fruits are exceptionally smooth and helped along by a shot of vanilla and a puree of flavors. The flavors mix so well together it’s incredible.

The lightly-toasted malt comes along for the ride, but this is all about the Rochefortisc manner in which these fruits and the yeast are mixed. This is a blend to remember.

Mouthfeel – Very light carbonation and a creamy, creamy smooth body makes this one a standout. The alcohol warning is too little, too late.

Drinkability – This was incredible and defined its own style. It went down smooth as silk.

Comments – Leave it to Victory to produce this quandary. This was too light for a dunkel weizen and too fruity for a bock. It was even probably off style for a weizen bock. But man, oh man, was this a pleasure to drink. Can we add some flexibility to the style and say that this was f***ing awesome? (1,177 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

A cloudy brown colored pour topped in a small layer of off-white head. Lots of nice aromas here with some yeasty breadiness. It had a bit of that banana nose that one usually gets from a weiss, but it was a lot different. More roastiness and spices.

This is a nice brew to mix it up a bit. I like how there are some nice dark notes to the brew. It has all the good qualities of a weiss, and some added complexity from some roasty flavors. Very good to drink, and who would have thought the alcohol was that high. It went unnoticed by me, well maybe a little. (563 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Cloudy reddish-brown color with a small off-white head that quickly disappears, no lacing. Fruity and spicy aromas of bananas, cloves and vanilla. Wheat flavor with sour apples, vanilla and bubblegum. Full bodied with a full and thick mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, finishes sweet and sour. Alcohol very well hidden, very nice. (328 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: This beer pours a cloudy yeasty deep red with a slight head that settles down to a thin layer of fine off-white bubbles. I didn't have to agitate the bottle to get the yeast out like I have to do with some other domestic weiss beers. Which is a good thing.

Smell: A malty, caramel, raisin nose that has some wood character. Was this aged in wood at all? I'll have to check.

Taste: Sweet, then fruity/yeasty (raisin again?) with a sour finish. More yeasty as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Quite light, given the ABV. The sour finish pulls the beer off your tongue and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: I could easily, and quite dangerously, have more than one of these beers in a single session. (720 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz brown long neck with an “Enjoy By” freshness date on the label, nice blurb about the beer and it also states that this is a bottle conditioned brew.

Appearance: For this sample I swirled the yeast in to the glass for the full effect, an true wheat beer drinker would agree. Reddish brown bordering on burgundy, obvious cloudiness from the yeast …even before the yeast was poured in there was an evident haze. The head lays there two fingers deep waiting of the first sip.

Smell: Ripe bananas, medicinal root of some kind and light estery and fusel alcohols hit the nose. Malty sweet as well with a touch of caramel.

Taste & Mouthfeel: So creamy smooth in the mouth … unbelievable. Solid flavourful fermented wheat twang upfront, layers of sweet and toasted malt hit next. Bitter medicinal phenols grab the palates attention and help to balance. The alcohol prickles the tongue and warms the body with its soothing esters. Very fruity with a flexed tropical base and banana in the forefront. Slight bitter herb and malt sweetness in the finish.

Notes: There are few Weizen Bocks around, none the less Victory is right on target with this one. Why I bought a single to sample … I am going back for a case. (1,227 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Dark orange gold color. Small head. Aroma is spicy. A full-bodied Weizenbock. Fruity and spicy. Very nice flavors, bananas and cloves, orange and spice, citrus and malts. Well balanced, not only between malts and hops, but between tart and sweet. Very nice beer. No noticeable alcohol despite a 8.7% abv. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly tart. (390 characters)

It pours a muddy, old leather color with a tannish beige head that faded rather quickly. A huge blast of clovey aroma hits you immediately, a distant smell of an extinguished fire appears later, although perhaps it was there all along and I didn't notice it. A fresh wheat bread and earthy flavor mingle with a faint oakiness and sweet and sour balsamic vinegar tartness. The clove-like spiciness does appear in the taste, but not as strong as in the aroma. A touch of toffee and a hint of lemon drops and warming alcohol finishes this somewhat overly complex brew. (565 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a medium-tan head, not very long lived that settles over tawny, hazy reddish-brown gentley carbonated liquid.
The nose is very fruity with notes of bubblegum, banana & spicy clove notes.
Taste is sweet malts overtaken by dark spice and slightly nutty flavors followed by nicely roasted grain, then more bubblegum fruitiness and superb hop bitterness with just hints of the 8.7 percent alcohol felt as a warm sensation in the throat after swallowing...which may good or bad, as I'm about to polish off bottle number five out of a fresh six-pack :o)

Finishes up dancing the line between dry and sweet...another hit from the boys at Victory. (650 characters)

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company