Moonglow Weizenbock - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  8.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: taez555 on 12-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moonglow Weizenbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,261 | Reviews: 704
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a good one from Victory. The color is nice- a dark red- orange, and the aroma is nice and spicy, sweetish but not really sweet. Then the taste, well that's quite nice as well, it makes me smile. I seem to either smile or make a horrid face with beer- I'm not a professional... Yes, Moonglow tastes spicy, almost a sour fruitiness to it too. It's very drinkable, it feels soft in my mouth, and I tend to forget about the alcohol content in this stuff. So they definitely did a good job with this seasonal.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. The weizenbock pours smoothly into the glass with minimal head consisting of tight bubbles that fade quickly. Appearance is a nice auburn, just a tad hazy. Smells like a hefe on steroids, very wheaty and malty, but with strong scents of banana and spice competing for attention. Body is quite full and taste is initially sweet and very wheaty/malty, then followed by a big fruit presence reminiscent of apples and of course bananas. Finish is rather tart but leaves a lingering sweetness on the tongue. Another great effor form the folks at Victory.

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Cloudy ruddy brown. Huge head and heavy carbonation. Lots of lace. A beautiful brew.

Smell: Like a hefeweizen with a heavier malt backbone. Alcohol is noticeable, bit not distracting. Definite banana and clove, with a nice spiciness from the yeast.

Taste: Heavy carbonation assaults my tongue, displacing all flavor for the first few moments. Creamy and smooth after that, with some heavy-handed, if honest, green banana notes. I don't really find the cloves as much as I would have expected. Very dry, though. Alcohol numbs the tongue and warms the throat.

Notes: This is my last out of a sixer, and I will not purchase again. Try it if you like the style, but don't judge Victory based on this offereing, Make sure and try the Storm King and Hopdevil first.

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%

A voluminous tan head tops this dark caramel colored beer. This loose layer of foam slowly fades to a moderate layer that persists for as long as there's beer in the glass. Banana and cloves wrapped in alcohol sweetness with a bread chaser greets the nose. The taste is surprisingly tart, similar to a berliner-weisse, but it has a thick, roasted background. Tartness fades to a smooth, refreshing sweetness mid-palate. The finish is somewhat clean, with a lingering roasted note and a touch of bitterness. There's a lot going on in this beer, and it seems like the beginning is at odds with the end, and all the flavors in between do is antagonize the whole situation. This is an enjoyable beer, but perhaps there's such a thing as too much complexity? That being said, I'd buy it again. I love wheat beers, and a weizenbock just goes good with fall weather.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the jewels in Victorys crown. This seasonal weizenbock is a beautiful red colour with an ample beige head. The aromas are big up front and consist of various fruits (especially bananas) spices sugar and malt. The taste is a fruity melange of alcohol, spices, fruits, and malts. The mouthfeel is creamy, but far from cloying and the drinkability is excellent for a beer in this style!

A class act from victory!

F

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Really low head on this beer. Probably due to the alcohol content. The color is deep reddish brown with a slight haze from the wheat. The aroma is all banana and spice. You can also pickup the alchol in the aroma.

The flavor is where this beer doesn't shine. It has banana and strong clove flavors, but it leaves a harsh burnt flavor in the aftertaste. The body and mouthfeel are very well done, but that aftertaste is not what I would expect in a Weizenbock.

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep, deep copper, with a small, off-white head.

Aroma: Can you say bananas? Some yeasty notes and some faint malt.

Taste: Acidic, with more bananas in the palate. Somewhat sour.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, sour flavors. Dry and short on the finish.

Drinkability: Wow! I am glad I only bought one bottle. A solid representation of the style, but not the style for me.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz bottle with a drink by date August 20, 2004. Tasted 10/26/03

This beer poured a hazy dark brownish burgundy body. There was a small creamy tan head that died almost immediately but at over 8% it's no surprise it died so quickly.

The nose was very inviting. Dark malts, wheat, spice, some floral notes, dark cherries, apples, spice, cinnamon and a touch of alcohol.

The taste was very thick and full-bodied. Very malty with a dark sugary sweetness. Wheat, caramel, some cider notes. Rather smooth and watery as it goes down. A touch of apple peel. An earthy hop taste with a rather chalky bitterness.

It ends with a burst of hop bitterness accompanied by some fruit flavors. The bitterness really takes its time to fade.

Basically a really nice weis bock from a great brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Not quite what I expected from Victory but a good beer nonetheless. Pours a dark reddish-orange with a head that really seems to sneak up on you. Smells sweet and sugary, and a little wheaty. The taste is a lot more complex than it seems at first--it evolves from almost unreasonably sweet to grainy and alcoholic, bearing a faint hint of apple cider. The sweetness quickly fades from the aftertaste leaving bitterness on the palate.

Of the seasonal brews I've had this year, Moonglow is certainly one of the best, but it is also the most expensive, hands-down. I bought it thinking that, being a Victory, it had the potential to rock my world. In the end however, I wish I would have sought out a store that sold it by the single, instead of $11 for a sixer. Funny how I can say this is both one of the best beers I've had recently and one of the most overpriced I've had ever. When you think about it, buying good beer can be really funny sometimes.

3.01/5  rDev -25.9%

First off, did anyone else see the little ghosts on the bottle, or was it just me? Anyways, I must say, this is one beer with mixed reviews from me. The appearance was stellar. It was a murky amber color with a beautiful head. The head was super thick and very frothy, which lasted quite a while. The smell was a mixture of many things. It was very strong in the area of fruits, like citrus, plums, and grapes. It was also had a subtle pumpkin pie smell to it. This also came out in the taste, which had both clashing together. I thought it was waaay to sweet and was more like fruit salad, than beer. I am definately going to stay clear of this one. I usually am a huge fan of what Victory puts out, but this one was stretchin' it for me.

2.89/5  rDev -28.8%

I can't really say that this is a bad beer, but at the same time I can't say that I enjoyed it at all. Although the brewing expertise of the boys at Victory shows, I have to say that this was one of their worse ideas. Moonglow is a very well crafted beer. The mouthfeel is great and it looks fantastic, but I just think that the flavor is awful. It's not that the Victory boys didn't achieve what they set out to accomplish, it's just that they probably shouldn't have done it in the first place. I think that this stuff tastes horrible, and I'm certainly not planning on buying it again, but I think that this is a result of personal tastes, not the quality of the beer. I guess it's worth trying once, but don't say I didn't warn you if it doesn't agree with your tastes.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Hazy chestnut color with a nice tan colored head that lasts. Over-ripened banana, clove and estery aromas. This weizenbock packs quite the punch, at 8.7%, yet so intriguing it makes you want another. Deep roasted wheat flavor mixed with tropical fruit flavors finishing slightly phenolic and tart. Perfect beer for hanging outside on a chilly autumn night. I've had quite a few German weizenbocks, and this one from the geniuses at Victory is just as good, if not better than some of those counterparts.

A friend calls this beer "Grandma's banana nut bread in a bottle".

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Fianally found this one, been on the look-out for awhile now. Will stock up for the winter. Dark hazy reddish brown with plenty of cloud cover from the swirling yeast. Head is tan, more effervescent that expected and different from other weizens, fades quicker as well. Smell is strong tropical fruits and yeast esters. Taste is buttery smooth and rich with alcohol soaked bananas, apples and pears. Pretty sweet and definite alcohol presence. Thankfully though it doesn't fail to show me the yeasty esters toward the end. This guy's more carbonated that the few other weizenbocks around. Weizenbocks are a fantastic style and this is a great American example.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%

The beer pours a brooding and bemused amber color with the head impressive in size, the color an off white with a sticky sheet of lace that clings mightily to the glass. The nose lemon-lime like as in citrus crisp, bubble gun and bananas, what a “Hoot”. Sweet and sour start, the top middling in feel and the finish mildly acidic, hops are forceful in their bite, quite dry aftertaste. One of my favorites from Victory, and thanks to several “BA’s”, I’ve managed to store a few and they seem to age quite well, but actually never last more than 6 months.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Hot Dog! A new Victory product hits my area!!
This baby has a rich, somewhat cloudy russet color. Head is rich and fine, tan, about 1/2" thick to start, but fades fast to a lining around the rim. It does stick nicely to the glass. In addition, a steady stream of carbonation heads surfaceward. Upon having a whiff I was first reminded of Aventinus, with a pleasant banana/clove combo. Soon thereafter I picked up a lot of apple aromas, with a hint of spiciness thrown in. I found the body to be about medium, and it felt creamy/bubbly/velvety on the tongue. Quite nice! There are plenty of fruity flavors residing here. I got some green apples and perhaps tropical fruit (mango?) along with banana. Clove is here as well, along with a suggestion of chocolate as it warms. Seems heavy on the fruit though. Is this a trait of it being young? No bottled-on date, but had an enjoy-by date of Aug '04 on the label. Quite good overall (I had 3 of them!), but fruitier than expected. Maybe cellaring would help? We'll see! Prosit!!!

overall: 4.05
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer poured to a deep bronze color with very little head. The aroma was an interesting combo of sweetness, fruits, and some yeast. This had a big malty flavor, with fruitiness and bitterness blending well together. The malt is thick on the tongue, and then a sour sensation kicks in. Thicker bodied and little carbonation caused the head to disappear quickly. One of these is enough in a sitting, but very tasty. The high alcohol level is fairly noticeable too.

4.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a thick plum color with a great sticky, retentious head. The color of this beer is wonderful to look at. Aroma intrigues me with big green apple, yeast, phenolics, and raisin. What I found at first to be overpowering green apple did not bother me for long. This beer is strong and proud, and all of its bold flavors meld together wonderfully. The dark caramel malts back up the yeast flavors and leave a little bit of sweetness that the german hops cannot fight. Possibly a little thicker and a little less carbonated than I would like. This beer is a very solid, very complex brew.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

Just a little slice of heaven this one is. Had this on tap at the Victory brewpub en route to the Beer Yard. God, am I glad I stopped. Victory really proved itself to me with this beer, because before I wasn't really a fan. I realize now how fortunate I am to live so close to one of the great American breweries. *gets a little veklempt, wipes tear from eye, takes deep breath*

Okay, I'm gonna review this one from memory (taking notes on beer is just not something I'm prepared to do just yet. Somewhere I have to draw the line. Maybe I'm just in denial of my beergeekdom.)

Beautiful copper color. Rich bananna, yeast, and pumpkin pie spice aroma. Taste is not unlike a Belgian dark strong ale, but this has a lot more body and is much richer. An explosive symphony of flavor. Describing the taste too much just won't do it justice. Alcohol is not noticeable in the flavor, but you can tell that this is a sipper. If you have actually taken a minute or two out of your life to read this, do yourself a favor and get this. Actually, drive to the brewery and get this on draft. Yeah, you may live in Nebraska, but you're a beer geek. You don't have anything better to do.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whoa....To the Victor(y) belongs the spoils. I just may move to PA if they keep this up. This should be a kick ass beer at 8.7, but it is soooo smooth, I couldn't tell....Banana, citrus, tingly tongue were definitely there. The color was that of fresh pressed cider witha nice head. Mouthfeel was round and smooth with a hint of malt to impress in the drinkability category. This was the last single bottle on the shelf of my favorite packy....too bad...gotta remind them to order more!!!!

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was up int the air about this wiezenbock. I love Aventinis and this was very different. I ad many good tastes like Banana and sweet plum, and was a litle spicy. BUT I really was not fond of the sour side to this beer, some have described it as sour apple and tart. I agree with both and couldn't find a place for that much tart in this beer. It reminded me of a sour ale I drank at Monk's in Philly, that was sour but was supposed to be.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a rich, thick, cloudy burgundy with a fairly thick tan head. A pungent wheaty aroma permeates the atomosphere around the glass. Alcohol and malt also donates to this permeation and it's wonderful. It's rich, malty, wheaty at first drink. Alcohol and a slightly sour taste make for an interesting finish and aftertaste. The crisp carbonation and smooth wheat character make for a very drinkable brew considering it's 8.7% ABV. This high ABV is warming in the mouth and stomach, making this a brew I would crave if I had a house with a fireplace to sit next to with an amazing beer to enjoy.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%

The color of this beer is simply amazing. When I poured it into my Aventinus glass, it was glowing like the setting sun. Had to pour roughly to get that hefe head going and then it settled rapidly without even leaving a thin film on top. Aroma is that typical of a Dunkle Weizen with wheatish, apple like aromas. What surprised me is the sourness of this beer. It reminded me of drinking a sour belgian brown ale. There were some cherry flavors mixing with apple, plum, and slight chocolate notes. Could have used a little more sweet chocolate flavors to balance out the sourness. Mouthfeel was smooth and slippery. An interesting beer that I couldn't get my mind around, but not the best example of a Weizenbock.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance – Luscious orange-brown in color with a good head that left a nice film.

Smell – This is a lovely combination of dark yeast aromas and toasted bock scents. The fruits are not bashful, either. The apricot, plum, and big banana are large and in charge.

Taste – This is more weizen than bock. The fruits are exceptionally smooth and helped along by a shot of vanilla and a puree of flavors. The flavors mix so well together it’s incredible.

The lightly-toasted malt comes along for the ride, but this is all about the Rochefortisc manner in which these fruits and the yeast are mixed. This is a blend to remember.

Mouthfeel – Very light carbonation and a creamy, creamy smooth body makes this one a standout. The alcohol warning is too little, too late.

Drinkability – This was incredible and defined its own style. It went down smooth as silk.

Comments – Leave it to Victory to produce this quandary. This was too light for a dunkel weizen and too fruity for a bock. It was even probably off style for a weizen bock. But man, oh man, was this a pleasure to drink. Can we add some flexibility to the style and say that this was f***ing awesome?

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

A cloudy brown colored pour topped in a small layer of off-white head. Lots of nice aromas here with some yeasty breadiness. It had a bit of that banana nose that one usually gets from a weiss, but it was a lot different. More roastiness and spices.

This is a nice brew to mix it up a bit. I like how there are some nice dark notes to the brew. It has all the good qualities of a weiss, and some added complexity from some roasty flavors. Very good to drink, and who would have thought the alcohol was that high. It went unnoticed by me, well maybe a little.

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company