Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Reviews by woodske1:
woodske1

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Its hard to find a Pilsner that actually has a "taste". Most are bland but Victory actually did something right here.

I usually don't like their beers, but this is the best one I have had from them by far. A smooth balanced taste that works in the winter or in the summer.

03-02-2009 21:29:27 | More by woodske1
oberon

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Poured a nice yellow/straw with a medium but nice retained head,pretty highly carbonated.Smell was nice and malty with some sweetness.Taste starts malty and somewhat irony but has a lingering dryness to it,somewhat complex for the style.One of the best if not the best pilsners I have had real nice and highly drinkable.

05-20-2003 10:42:48 | More by oberon
Goatdavemac

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Too hoppy for my taste, but if you are looking for a hoppy pilsner, this is your beer.

08-20-2014 00:25:27 | More by Goatdavemac
RoyalT

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance - Very light in color with a beautiful foamy head that left a gorgeous lacing on my glass.

Smell - Light, grassy hop aroma with a balancing sweetness. It looks and smells like a pils, but how does it taste?

Taste - I've found it very frustrating that American brewers can't seem to mimick the exceptional smoothness and traditional flavors of a German Pils. This one hits the nail on the head.

The malt flavors are in the background, of course. The grassy and floral hops caress the tongue gently but distinctly. There's some sweetness to be had, but it's the signature hop flavor that leads this one to the Promise Land.

Mouthfeel - Masterfully light and smooth. Be careful of your first sip - you might empty the glass with it.

Drinkability - I used to love drinking a pils outside in the middle of the day, walking around cobblestone Bavarian streets in search of the tastiest bratwurst stand. This one takes me back. Another winner from Victory!

Update - I first rated this with a 2003 vintage to thought it would be fun to re-review it with an '04. This really is an amazing Pils. It's on the big side, mind you, but has to be one of the best session beers sold in the US. I'm upping my Drinkability rating by half a point and praying to the empty bottle.

Update - I took a studious look at this beer again in 2009. Six years now I've been drinking this Pils and it hasn't lost it's luster. I reviewed three bad beers in a row tonight, dumping most of them in the sink, so need something reliable.

The Prima Pils is just a beautiful beer. The head especially comes up just right and is one of the prettiest beer toppings I've ever seen in my life. The rest of the beer is top-notch as previously reviewed, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a better American-made effort at the style.

10-08-2003 01:49:32 | More by RoyalT
aszatk01

10-19-2013 16:51:48 | More by aszatk01
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear yellow-gold, thin white head. Great retention. Minimal carbonation streaming. Aroma of saaz hops and lemons and a touch of curacao in the finish. Very crisp and fresh. Taste is wonderfully fresh, citrusy, spicy, and floral. Lasting bitterness despite being a smooth and easy drinker. Clover and grass clippings, orange peal, crazy hoppy finish. Yippie. This is great stuff but I still prefer the big German varieties.

04-14-2006 00:18:26 | More by DaPeculierDane
Fear4Beer

3.31/5  rDev -18.1%

Light yellow color, almost no head, smells like cheap beers I drank back in the day.

Like hop devil but a little less pine and bitterness. A pilsner by name but this isn't fooling anyone... its an IPA. Meh. Another highly rated beer completed. Won't be drinking many more of these bitter and piney beers. They just don't do it for me.

06-09-2014 03:04:04 | More by Fear4Beer
tectactoe

04-02-2014 14:13:29 | More by tectactoe
TCHopCraver

The drink-by date on this bottle was 5/2/10 and I reviewed this on 5-12-10. I'm not positive how this affected my tasting, but I have a thought on that.

A: Served into a pilsener-style glass, this beer pours a clear yellow-gold and had a tightly cropped 1 finger head that faded rapidly. Lazy carbonation bubbles meander northward. The lacing decorates the glass with relatively thick tree-notch residues.

S: The aroma of this beer is quite biscuity and also had some corn, and Granny Smith apple notes. I faintly smell spicy hops. I wonder if this has faded because the bottle is older.

T: Mmm, quite tasty. I taste a nice, spicy hop balance to the pale malts, a quality I really appreciate in a Pilsener. The malts lend a sweet, creamy, almost buttery taste. The flavor somewhat reminds me of spicy apple.

M: This beer displays a good balance between crispness, refreshment, and creaminess. The hop presence lends a satisfying drying feel at the end of each pull.

D: Nicely light and refreshing, but with enough complexity to really expend some brainpower examining its merits. Very drinkable and I'll be going back to this beer when it actually warms up in the great state of Michigan.

05-13-2010 20:58:43 | More by TCHopCraver
brownbeer

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Best by 6-13-10 Consumed 4-28-10

Not to take away from how good this beer is, but the golden color is interrupted by a greenish hue.

Pleasant hoppy aromas of fresh grassy hops with bitter citrus rinds, lemony grains, mint.

The taste is soft and clean with fresh, green hops, orange skin, and a dry crisp finish.

Very good, doesn't beat Noble Pils for me. Held to the traditional style, though slightly Americanized, being so voluminously and cleanly hopped. This should be a staple pils for one who can aquire it.

04-30-2010 03:27:39 | More by brownbeer
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

It pours a light gold-tinged yellow. Its ever so slightly cloudy. Big 'ol sudsy head is almost gone in a minute. There is slight lacing. Nose is strong lupulin and sulpher. It is off-putting at first, but continued quaffing titilates.

Taste starts off bitter, but not as much as the nose led me to expect. It gives a nice zestyness that complements the higher carbonation level. Sweet malt comes to the surface almost immediately but is pushed back by the bitter hops, which have a slight lemon character, but are really mostly just bitter. Toward the finish a bit of that sulpher comes out, but does not linger unplesantly in the mouth.

Mouthfeel is nice for the style but may be a tad thin, also the carbonation fizzled a bit quicker than I'd prefer.

01-11-2006 06:15:23 | More by JudgeRoughneck
ArrogantDeadGuy

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Slightly dark for a pils but great carbonation and nice even white lacing.

Great smell of grass, yeast, malt, & hop

FANTASTIC -- a nice mild mannered pils spiked with exceptional hop presence. Not over the top, just a beautiful accent that digresses from the style but really compliments it nicely.

Great medium bodied pils with wonderful carbonation and uber drinkability.

This is my go to beer for the near future.

09-03-2011 03:02:53 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
wesbrownyeah

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Prima Pils brewed by Victory Brewing Company. 5.3% alcohol content. Always looking for a good Pilsener style beer. Poured into pilsener glass.

A- Pours a golden yellow fluid that produces a fluffy heavily carbonated head that falls to a half inch leaving behind nice streaky lacing on glass.

S- Fresh scents of grassy hop are upfront followed by citrus yeasty notes.

T-M- Taste is a fresh bitter hop bite upfront with nice light malty backbone. Excellent grassy hop flavors make this beer stand out from other American beers of this style. Hopped up and perfect malt balance. Mouthfeel is perfect with rolling carbonation sliding down the tongue for easy drinking.

D- I could drink a hell of alot of this beer and plan on getting more to do just that... cheers!

03-10-2010 21:14:40 | More by wesbrownyeah
woodchipper

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

07-21-2013 21:37:47 | More by woodchipper
sgoodship

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

I've been enjoying the Hop Devil so much that I wanted to try more Victory Brews. I have always heard great things about this pils.

This beer looks so refreshing. In a pils glass, it was light lager color with a slight haze that I wasn't expecting. The head was big and craggy and the lacing was good.

The nose is a lager aggressiveness with a good amount of underlying malt. There may be a hint of banana there.
This pils has a hint of fruit (maybe some sweet pear). It's got malt breadiness coming thorugh but quickly falls into a sharp pils bite. The end becomes more malty again and that leads to a dry bitterness.

Light body that was fuller than expected with a heavy carbonation.

It feels like this beer could have been crisper in the finish but generally I really enjoyed it. It makes me want to spend more time with non IPA brews. It's worth dropping my addiction to enjoy a wider range of beers.

11-22-2009 06:35:45 | More by sgoodship
SkiBum22

01-19-2013 16:26:15 | More by SkiBum22
JacobMutberg

10-09-2012 16:23:59 | More by JacobMutberg
SIRIUS2

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass produced a thin white foamy head that diminished quickly leaving little lacing. Nice clear srtaw-yellow color.

S: Pretty much average by all accounts.

T: Light flavor balance that finished toward the dry side. The finish is relatively quick with the slightest hint of lingering bitterness.

M&D: Light carbonation, taste, and good flavor balance make this brew smooth and enjoyable. It goes down easy and isn't very filling.

Compared to the fullness of some of the other Victory styles, this one is a departure from the others I have had. Being light, clean and crisp puts this a notch above average. I like it.

02-03-2008 01:01:46 | More by SIRIUS2
Dtopete21

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

The beer gives off a grape aroma and you can taste it too.
It also smells herbal and grassy.
The head is small.
It is very smooth and fizzy for it being a light beer.
I like it because once you've swallowed it has created a wonderful after taste yet it doesnt have a heavy mouthfeel, it has a nice clean finish.

01-30-2012 00:28:14 | More by Dtopete21
t8000shx

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from the bottle to a 16oz tumbler, at appropriate serving temp for a pils.

Appearance - Looks like a glass of honey. To test this, I poured some honey into a shot glass. The beer genuinely looks like a glass of honey, just a touch more pale. Just what a pilsner should look like.

Smell - Honey (it was actually the aroma that inspired me to bust out my Honey Bear). Not much of a hint at the hops in the flavor profile, interestingly. A little grassiness, barnyard smell, but only slightly.

Taste - Some good hops and mild malty sweetness hit quickly, but don't hang out long. They give way to a dry, crisp middle and finish with some residual bitterness from the hops closing down the party, lingering longer than I'd expect. Finally, after I thought the night was over, I noticed some minerally after taste on the back of my palette. It's ok, feel free to hang around. I liked it.

Mouthfeel - The perfect weight for the style. Not in the least bit sticky or chewy, lively small-bubbled carbonation, slides across the tongue and sneaks down your throat, which leads us to...

Drinkability - Get out of town. Get right the F out of town. On a summer day, hell, on a fall morning at 2:30am, such as right now, I could probably toss back a good half dozen of these bad boys. It's one of my very top session beers. Won't fill you up, never let's you down... or something along those lines. Great flavor, great thirst quenching, reasonable price, excellent accessibility.

In case you're not getting it, I love this beer.

11-11-2009 07:41:03 | More by t8000shx
Reznick

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

This was recommended to me as an example of a quality pilsner.

Appearance: Golden and rather clear.

Smell: Rather subtle, with a very clean scent. Slight scent of clean grass and barely hoppy.

Taste: Somewhat bitter at first. Transitions directly into this very interesting and very pleasant floral flavor that seemed to wash away the bitter notes that hit the palate upon first tasting. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Very light and somewhat thin, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overall: Quite good overall, and the flavor is well balanced. I've heard that this one is head and shoulders above typical pilsners, and I can see why. I'm not typically a fan of pilsners, but I can definitely recommend this one.

05-04-2011 05:37:52 | More by Reznick
orbitalr0x

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

I've been wanting to try this brew for quite some time...thanks to kmpitz2 for the hook up. A very nice bright summer sunshine yellow with a fairly thick white bubbly head on top. Spotty lacing as the head falls. There's a big spicy, herbal noble hop aroma rising into my nose along with hints of sweet grains and some notes of lemon. Quite nice.

A clean, refreshing malt mixes oh so well with the spicy, herbal, slightly floral hop tones...a delicate balance between sweet and bitter. Slight smatterings of bread, lemon and citrus peek out here and there. Lovely..easily the best pilsener I've tried to date.

Medium bodied with a smooth carbonation that floats over the palate. Incredibly easy to drink...this is a damn tasty, refreshing brew. I think this could easily convert some folks to better beer. I will be looking for a sixer soon!

03-25-2005 03:36:20 | More by orbitalr0x
bulldogg915

Wyoming

03-06-2014 03:13:33 | More by bulldogg915
Jimbo62

Georgia

12-08-2011 20:52:22 | More by Jimbo62
muskiecf

This is by a long shot one of the best beers made in america. I know that is a huge statement but this is what beer is supposed to be. It isn't exactly a traditonal pilsner but not far from either. The alcohol content and hoppiness is a bit high but otherwise who cares...It's just damn good. Very well balanced but hoppy enough to please any hop head. Try it, you will not be dissappointed. Way to go Victory! This is my session beer.

07-27-2009 20:36:16 | More by muskiecf