Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,034 | Hads: 4,930
1.06/5  rDev -73.9%

This beer pours a clear pale yellow with minimal head and no lace. The aroma is of citrus and floral hops. The flavor is very bland with a hint of sour lemon. There is a very strong hop bitterness that lasts past the finish leaving an unpleasantly bitter aftertaste. It has a thin mouthfeel. Victory Prima Pils is a disappointing beer, way too bitter for the German pilsner style, more like an American IPA. Not recommended!

1.46/5  rDev -64%

I recently tried it when in the UK and I am seriously surprised that something like this is sold. It's pretty much like a homebrewer's first pils. It is nowhere near the subtley balanced flavours other examples such as Pilsner Urquell display.

The taste is quite harsh, steely. The body is way too thin and lacks just a little bit of the sweetness that is necessary for even the dry beers like "Flensburger" or "Jever".

I'd go back to the drawing board with this one...

1.49/5  rDev -63.3%

First of all this is not a german pilsner, its more comparable to really awful American IPA. Really damn carbonated and looks like dehydrated piss with seltzer water. Taste was a watery carbonated bud light with hops. And the combination is the least satisfying. Definitely letting all the "Pros" that rated this beer so highly share this hillbilly beer to their families because I will definitely not be.

I don't really get the (relative) hype on this beer. If you want a Pilsner with no flavor, I guess it's a good choice, but there's much better craft Pilsners out there.

2.11/5  rDev -48%

Pours a pale gold color with a white foamy 2 finger head with decent retention. There is a strong smell of overly bitter hops, perhaps too strong, and bread malt. Also smells somewhat like feet.

The taste is also bitter, overly bitter in my opinion. The malt tones down the hop bitterness a little. Light bodied, well carbonated. Fairly poor drinkability. Not my favorite Pilsener. I will avoid this in the future.

2.21/5  rDev -45.6%

this was over hopped to my palate and had a strange aftertaste of bitterness that was not enjoyable. the normal bitter refreshing characteristics are gone and the overly bitter exotic tastes come through in a way you do not want to drink them. This made Urquell's taste seem amazingly more refreshing and enjoyable.

2.24/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden colored beer with almost no head. Carbonation is really weak which seems to be a problem with some of the Victory that I had lately. Aroma is quite subtle has I would expect of a pils but the taste is way too sweet for a pils. I’m guessing they put too much of cascade hops in this. There is some way better pils out there.

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - The body is pale yellow in color. The head is white in color and stands two and a half inches tall.

S - The aroma is grassy and grainy with a whiff of lemon from time to time.

T - Wow! The hops are more than I expected. I get a lot of bitterness with some slight metallic taste.

M - It feels thicker than a pilsner. I get a mild chalky feel on my tongue.

D - I'll just say I'm glad I didn't get a six pack.

2.26/5  rDev -44.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Pour yielded a thin white head that left decent lacing. Beer is an attractive sunflower gold with very active carbonation streaming from the bottom.

Aroma: standard German Lager smell of sour and grassiness.

Mouthfeel: for all the carbonation the mouthfeel is a little flat and lifeless.

Taste: hard for me to get past the astringent herb bitterness followed by a soapy aftertaste. Beer improved slightly as it warmed but it really seems like this a beer that is over-hopped, but not with Cascade or Centennial but rather with German Noble Hops. The bitterness overwhelms my taste buds completely.

Notes: I've had 5 bottles of this and has not grown on me. Stoudt's Pils seems immediately more enjoyable. Prima Pils is almost a drainpour for me.

2.3/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a golden yellow. Head disappears quickly. Lots of carbination, not much lacing. Smell was very hoppy,and floral. Mouthfeel is light. For me this taste was way too hoppy. Bitter from start to finish. If you like a light,bitter beer try it. If not don't bother.

2.37/5  rDev -41.6%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate.

2.41/5  rDev -40.6%

I definately do not understand the hype about this beer. If this is the "golden chalice pilsner", I'd be thrilled to scratch any pils off my list from now on.

Appearance was clear, bubbly and watery. Not much going on at all. Smell was mildly enticing, perhaps reminiscent of a watered down light lager, but nothing notable. Not much fullness. Watery, full of unattributable light malts and a touch of hops in the mouth make this beer average, but not much more than that.

2.43/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Prima Pils is rather dark for the style, yet has a nice fluffy head when poured into a glass. What hits you first is the hop aroma. The taste is also hop-accented to the point that I cannot appreciate the malt body. I am not sure why dry hopping has invaded every beer style on the planet, since it was never intended for most of them. Prima pils is a solid American micro pilsener, but certainly not a "German Pilsner" as they say on their website. It is way too far out of balance. I taste great potential in this beer, but it lets me down in being just another blast of hops like a run of the mill west coast IPA.

2.47/5  rDev -39.2%

My score is way off the norm, but notice how the high ratings tend to agree that this beer is a breed of its own. It makes for a difficult review because it doesn't taste like other pils. Should we treat it as just a beer, or as a particular attempt at the style? I fall on the side of judging to the standard, so please take that into consideration. This receives only a 2.5 (below average!) from me, but it gets this score as a pils. Without regard to style, it's easily a high 3's to low 4's.

This is a pils for an IPA fan. I happen to be a big fan of double IPA's, so this particular beer suits me--but, my take away is it is far too bitter for a pils.

This is a tasty beer, please don't misunderstand me. The problem is that this beer style is supposed to be an easy drinking, low ABV, refreshing brew. A good pils, in my book anyway, is clear, crisp, and thirst quenching; however, this beer is more inline with an experience such as you'll find with a good IPA.

With all that out of the way here's my take.

Served from bottle. I don't care about glass type, so I'm not noting it.

The smell is citrus, hops, and a faint hint of what many will consider skunk. (Don't worry it's not skunked, lagers are aged...a tiny hint of skunk is not a fault!)

Appearance is below average for a pils. It should be clear enough to see through, while the Prima, as many have noted, is cloudy for quiet a while. The carbonation, head, and lacing are perfect examples of what a pils should be--in this regard of appearance Victory has done a great job. Too bad for the clarity!

The mouthfeel is too think and creamy for the style. While no porter or malty bock, it simply is a little too thick. As noted previously, the carbonation is pleasant and what you expect from a pils.

The taste is the real downfall for Prima Pils as a pils. While the style should be refreshing and crisp, low enough ABV to tip several back in a session, the hops will just stick with you. This tastes like an IPA. Not an overly hopped IPA, but it's bitter, and the bitterness does not leave the back of your palate for quite some time.

Overall: This falls below average for a pils. I'm sorry to say, a typical macro pils is simply superior to this for the style.

Final words. Try this beer if you like IPA's. You may just find the lager you've been looking for. You get the hoppiness of a good IPA with the great head of a true pils. Taken in this regard, you'll find much to enjoy, just don't judge it as a pils.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

Fresh greys in at Leura cellars.
Sorry, but all metallic in flavour, and somewhat sulphurous.... Not sure if a bad bottle or batch but won't revisit...

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like a pilsner, lightly bready. Taste is clean and crisp. I'm a bit disappointed with this beer, I thought it would have more of a hop presence. I prefer The Crisp. nb

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%

This is a boring interpretation of what a good Pils should be.
Pale, with a quick to fade head. Below average passive carbonation.
Crisp. Hoppy, but still found it to be very uneventful. Let down by Victory with this offering. Maybe I need some sunshine?
A tad skunky with the finish.

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%

After reading one good review after another, I was excited to try Victory Prima Pils on-tap.

Poured a light yellow color, light lager look.

Smell was OK. Minorly hoppy, certainly a strong scenet of pilsner (herbal).

The tongue is where this beer lost me. Got almost a moldy flavor with the beer. I'll admit I'm not a huge German been fan, but this brew really didn't do much for me.

And yes, I know I'm in the miority on this one.

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%

Reviewing this beer as I'm drinking it at an upper west side bar in NYC.

Appearance- It looks just like a good Pilsener should. Crystal clear gold, with a 1/2 inch head and decent lacing. Certanly looks the part.

Smell- Not bad. A little musky. A friend of mine picks up some smoke, which I don't. We both agree it has a bit of stinky cheese as well as a distinct sour apple smell. Interesting.

Taste- This is where this beer just constantly disappoints me. It is apparently the highest rated German Pilsener on planet earth, and it just seems like the point is lost in this beer. It almost always tastes like Victory added some liquid skunk to this beer. Which I'm sure is from the whole cone Saaz hops, but it just isn't a good example of the style at all. Radeburger, Jever, Bittburger, and even Great Lakes' Prohibition Pils are much better representations of what this style should be. The flat bitterness on the back of the palette is the most disconcerting part. When it's I've cold, it's fairly refreshing, but loses any sublety of flavor once it warms even te slightest bit.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, light. No complaints.

Drinkability- One and done. Which is disappointing for supposedly the best Pilsener on the planet.

Overall- I absolutely love lagers. I'm a contrarian when it comes to most people on this sight in that regard. I've just been constantly disappointed by this beer. The Gaffel Kolsch (an ale I know) and the Radeberger I had prior just showed so much more craftsmanship and subtlety that this beer ultimately just fell short.

2.6/5  rDev -36%

A - The beer pours a golden yellow. Plenty of carbonation, minimal lacing.

S - Very minimal hop presence, DMS, adjuncts.

T - Tastes like other well stocked American adjunct lagers; cooked corn.

M - Light bodied.

D - I guess this might be worth your while if you are local, and are into sixers. Otherwise, I'd avoid this beer. It tastes more like an American adjunct lager than a German Pilsner.

2.62/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass.

A- Good carbonation. Pours a thick white foam head, but it goes down fairly quickly. Very filtered as it is completely transparent. Gold in color.

S- Smells piney, slightly hoppy, and hints of citrus.

T- Just like the smell. Slightly prickly, and detect a hint of nutty flavor.

M- Very dry palate. Refreshing though.

D- I could drink a few of these. Recently had a couple playing a round of golf. The abv is not that high, is pretty smooth. Just not my style though.

Notes: This will probly be the highest I rate a Pilsner. Pilsners are my least favorite type of beer, dont know why just think they're very bland. I have to hand it to victory though as this is the best one I've had. I will agree with the hype around this and the accolades this gets, but still just not for me.

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

A- very clear bear. one finger fizzy head. no lacing.

S- smells terrible. not impressed at all. all hype nothing good here. It's a skunky smell full of nasty grains.

T- Tastes much like the smell .It's a grainy beast.

M- Chewy mouthfeel, what happened to the clean crisp pilsener here?

O- It's average to below. Hated this beer. Wow.

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

Victory Prima Pils

pours a vibrantly yellow body with somewhat pale edges and a thin white head. looks well carbonated, with multiple streams of bubbles escaping the top. smells of weak citrusy hops and light, barely detectable malts.

tastes grainy, harsh, and astringent. sharply bitter, without much hop taste or complexity one would expect with this level of bitterness. the medicinal astringency dominates the flavor here and makes it hard to appreciate much else. hints of lemon and grassy hops peek through.

mouthfeel good. thick, well carbonated.

i found this hard to drink. i've enjoyed victory brewing for the most part, and maybe i just expected too much from the prima pils, but i'm really disappointed with this guy. the other reviews seem to indicate that it is a top notch beer. maybe i just need to try another bottle.

2.64/5  rDev -35%

Hate to be a spoil sport, but I was expecting better. This is advertised as a German Pils, but it came across more as an American lager with essientially an American character. If it was a Bitter or Pale Ale, I would have graded better.

It poued more of an orangey/amber color instead of the pale blonde one would expect. Plenty of biscuity malts sweetness in the nose, which mixed with an assertive citrusy hops.

The taste was essientially malty with a full body, but it was dominated by what appears to be either Cascades or Centennial hops. Perhaps they used Saaz hops; however, the overpowering citrus quality indicated that they either used American Cascades, or spoiled European hops. German Pils feature noble hops, which give a totally differnt taste. The high alcohol alone, puts this beer out of style. There was also a rather sweet chalky texture to this Pils. A typical German Pils features a decent malt body, and an assertive noble hop bite, but overall, a German Pils is very clean and dry on the palate. Prima had none of these attributes.

A total disappointment. Maybe this was just an expired batch.

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a clear golden color with a thin white lace of head. Beautiful floral hops on the nose with a touch of citrus. Light in body with good carbonation. Very clean malt bill with a spicy hop finish. Good hop showcase with no real malt body . Bitter dry finish while still wetting the palette. Floral hops linger in the mouth.

Unfortunately though the beer just kind of drinks like a hopped up light beer. Light and fizzy with a big bitter finish. The lack of any sort of balance ruins the drinkability that a pilsner should have. Good if your hop lover but not as good as I expected.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company