Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

2.1/5  rDev -48%

Pours a pale gold color with a white foamy 2 finger head with decent retention. There is a strong smell of overly bitter hops, perhaps too strong, and bread malt. Also smells somewhat like feet.

The taste is also bitter, overly bitter in my opinion. The malt tones down the hop bitterness a little. Light bodied, well carbonated. Fairly poor drinkability. Not my favorite Pilsener. I will avoid this in the future.

2.15/5  rDev -46.8%

this was over hopped to my palate and had a strange aftertaste of bitterness that was not enjoyable. the normal bitter refreshing characteristics are gone and the overly bitter exotic tastes come through in a way you do not want to drink them. This made Urquell's taste seem amazingly more refreshing and enjoyable.

2.17/5  rDev -46.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Pour yielded a thin white head that left decent lacing. Beer is an attractive sunflower gold with very active carbonation streaming from the bottom.

Aroma: standard German Lager smell of sour and grassiness.

Mouthfeel: for all the carbonation the mouthfeel is a little flat and lifeless.

Taste: hard for me to get past the astringent herb bitterness followed by a soapy aftertaste. Beer improved slightly as it warmed but it really seems like this a beer that is over-hopped, but not with Cascade or Centennial but rather with German Noble Hops. The bitterness overwhelms my taste buds completely.

Notes: I've had 5 bottles of this and has not grown on me. Stoudt's Pils seems immediately more enjoyable. Prima Pils is almost a drainpour for me.

2.2/5  rDev -45.5%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - The body is pale yellow in color. The head is white in color and stands two and a half inches tall.

S - The aroma is grassy and grainy with a whiff of lemon from time to time.

T - Wow! The hops are more than I expected. I get a lot of bitterness with some slight metallic taste.

M - It feels thicker than a pilsner. I get a mild chalky feel on my tongue.

D - I'll just say I'm glad I didn't get a six pack.

2.23/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden colored beer with almost no head. Carbonation is really weak which seems to be a problem with some of the Victory that I had lately. Aroma is quite subtle has I would expect of a pils but the taste is way too sweet for a pils. I’m guessing they put too much of cascade hops in this. There is some way better pils out there.

2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate.

2.33/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours a golden yellow. Head disappears quickly. Lots of carbination, not much lacing. Smell was very hoppy,and floral. Mouthfeel is light. For me this taste was way too hoppy. Bitter from start to finish. If you like a light,bitter beer try it. If not don't bother.

2.38/5  rDev -41.1%

I definately do not understand the hype about this beer. If this is the "golden chalice pilsner", I'd be thrilled to scratch any pils off my list from now on.

Appearance was clear, bubbly and watery. Not much going on at all. Smell was mildly enticing, perhaps reminiscent of a watered down light lager, but nothing notable. Not much fullness. Watery, full of unattributable light malts and a touch of hops in the mouth make this beer average, but not much more than that.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company