Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,021 | Hads: 4,855
2.37/5  rDev -41.8%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate. (1,613 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -40.8%

I definately do not understand the hype about this beer. If this is the "golden chalice pilsner", I'd be thrilled to scratch any pils off my list from now on.

Appearance was clear, bubbly and watery. Not much going on at all. Smell was mildly enticing, perhaps reminiscent of a watered down light lager, but nothing notable. Not much fullness. Watery, full of unattributable light malts and a touch of hops in the mouth make this beer average, but not much more than that. (473 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Prima Pils is rather dark for the style, yet has a nice fluffy head when poured into a glass. What hits you first is the hop aroma. The taste is also hop-accented to the point that I cannot appreciate the malt body. I am not sure why dry hopping has invaded every beer style on the planet, since it was never intended for most of them. Prima pils is a solid American micro pilsener, but certainly not a "German Pilsner" as they say on their website. It is way too far out of balance. I taste great potential in this beer, but it lets me down in being just another blast of hops like a run of the mill west coast IPA. (616 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -39.3%

My score is way off the norm, but notice how the high ratings tend to agree that this beer is a breed of its own. It makes for a difficult review because it doesn't taste like other pils. Should we treat it as just a beer, or as a particular attempt at the style? I fall on the side of judging to the standard, so please take that into consideration. This receives only a 2.5 (below average!) from me, but it gets this score as a pils. Without regard to style, it's easily a high 3's to low 4's.

This is a pils for an IPA fan. I happen to be a big fan of double IPA's, so this particular beer suits me--but, my take away is it is far too bitter for a pils.

This is a tasty beer, please don't misunderstand me. The problem is that this beer style is supposed to be an easy drinking, low ABV, refreshing brew. A good pils, in my book anyway, is clear, crisp, and thirst quenching; however, this beer is more inline with an experience such as you'll find with a good IPA.

With all that out of the way here's my take.

Served from bottle. I don't care about glass type, so I'm not noting it.

The smell is citrus, hops, and a faint hint of what many will consider skunk. (Don't worry it's not skunked, lagers are aged...a tiny hint of skunk is not a fault!)

Appearance is below average for a pils. It should be clear enough to see through, while the Prima, as many have noted, is cloudy for quiet a while. The carbonation, head, and lacing are perfect examples of what a pils should be--in this regard of appearance Victory has done a great job. Too bad for the clarity!

The mouthfeel is too think and creamy for the style. While no porter or malty bock, it simply is a little too thick. As noted previously, the carbonation is pleasant and what you expect from a pils.

The taste is the real downfall for Prima Pils as a pils. While the style should be refreshing and crisp, low enough ABV to tip several back in a session, the hops will just stick with you. This tastes like an IPA. Not an overly hopped IPA, but it's bitter, and the bitterness does not leave the back of your palate for quite some time.

Overall: This falls below average for a pils. I'm sorry to say, a typical macro pils is simply superior to this for the style.

Final words. Try this beer if you like IPA's. You may just find the lager you've been looking for. You get the hoppiness of a good IPA with the great head of a true pils. Taken in this regard, you'll find much to enjoy, just don't judge it as a pils. (2,490 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Fresh greys in at Leura cellars.
Sorry, but all metallic in flavour, and somewhat sulphurous.... Not sure if a bad bottle or batch but won't revisit... (151 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -37.6%

V.07
This is a boring interpretation of what a good Pils should be.
Pale, with a quick to fade head. Below average passive carbonation.
Crisp. Hoppy, but still found it to be very uneventful. Let down by Victory with this offering. Maybe I need some sunshine?
A tad skunky with the finish. (293 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -37.1%

After reading one good review after another, I was excited to try Victory Prima Pils on-tap.

Poured a light yellow color, light lager look.

Smell was OK. Minorly hoppy, certainly a strong scenet of pilsner (herbal).

The tongue is where this beer lost me. Got almost a moldy flavor with the beer. I'll admit I'm not a huge German been fan, but this brew really didn't do much for me.

And yes, I know I'm in the miority on this one. (436 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -36.4%

Reviewing this beer as I'm drinking it at an upper west side bar in NYC.

Appearance- It looks just like a good Pilsener should. Crystal clear gold, with a 1/2 inch head and decent lacing. Certanly looks the part.

Smell- Not bad. A little musky. A friend of mine picks up some smoke, which I don't. We both agree it has a bit of stinky cheese as well as a distinct sour apple smell. Interesting.

Taste- This is where this beer just constantly disappoints me. It is apparently the highest rated German Pilsener on planet earth, and it just seems like the point is lost in this beer. It almost always tastes like Victory added some liquid skunk to this beer. Which I'm sure is from the whole cone Saaz hops, but it just isn't a good example of the style at all. Radeburger, Jever, Bittburger, and even Great Lakes' Prohibition Pils are much better representations of what this style should be. The flat bitterness on the back of the palette is the most disconcerting part. When it's I've cold, it's fairly refreshing, but loses any sublety of flavor once it warms even te slightest bit.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, light. No complaints.

Drinkability- One and done. Which is disappointing for supposedly the best Pilsener on the planet.

Overall- I absolutely love lagers. I'm a contrarian when it comes to most people on this sight in that regard. I've just been constantly disappointed by this beer. The Gaffel Kolsch (an ale I know) and the Radeberger I had prior just showed so much more craftsmanship and subtlety that this beer ultimately just fell short. (1,558 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

A - The beer pours a golden yellow. Plenty of carbonation, minimal lacing.

S - Very minimal hop presence, DMS, adjuncts.

T - Tastes like other well stocked American adjunct lagers; cooked corn.

M - Light bodied.

D - I guess this might be worth your while if you are local, and are into sixers. Otherwise, I'd avoid this beer. It tastes more like an American adjunct lager than a German Pilsner. (398 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass.

A- Good carbonation. Pours a thick white foam head, but it goes down fairly quickly. Very filtered as it is completely transparent. Gold in color.

S- Smells piney, slightly hoppy, and hints of citrus.

T- Just like the smell. Slightly prickly, and detect a hint of nutty flavor.

M- Very dry palate. Refreshing though.

D- I could drink a few of these. Recently had a couple playing a round of golf. The abv is not that high, is pretty smooth. Just not my style though.

Notes: This will probly be the highest I rate a Pilsner. Pilsners are my least favorite type of beer, dont know why just think they're very bland. I have to hand it to victory though as this is the best one I've had. I will agree with the hype around this and the accolades this gets, but still just not for me. (832 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

A- very clear bear. one finger fizzy head. no lacing.

S- smells terrible. not impressed at all. all hype nothing good here. It's a skunky smell full of nasty grains.

T- Tastes much like the smell .It's a grainy beast.

M- Chewy mouthfeel, what happened to the clean crisp pilsener here?

O- It's average to below. Hated this beer. Wow. (339 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Victory Prima Pils

pours a vibrantly yellow body with somewhat pale edges and a thin white head. looks well carbonated, with multiple streams of bubbles escaping the top. smells of weak citrusy hops and light, barely detectable malts.

tastes grainy, harsh, and astringent. sharply bitter, without much hop taste or complexity one would expect with this level of bitterness. the medicinal astringency dominates the flavor here and makes it hard to appreciate much else. hints of lemon and grassy hops peek through.

mouthfeel good. thick, well carbonated.

i found this hard to drink. i've enjoyed victory brewing for the most part, and maybe i just expected too much from the prima pils, but i'm really disappointed with this guy. the other reviews seem to indicate that it is a top notch beer. maybe i just need to try another bottle. (839 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -35.1%

Hate to be a spoil sport, but I was expecting better. This is advertised as a German Pils, but it came across more as an American lager with essientially an American character. If it was a Bitter or Pale Ale, I would have graded better.

It poued more of an orangey/amber color instead of the pale blonde one would expect. Plenty of biscuity malts sweetness in the nose, which mixed with an assertive citrusy hops.

The taste was essientially malty with a full body, but it was dominated by what appears to be either Cascades or Centennial hops. Perhaps they used Saaz hops; however, the overpowering citrus quality indicated that they either used American Cascades, or spoiled European hops. German Pils feature noble hops, which give a totally differnt taste. The high alcohol alone, puts this beer out of style. There was also a rather sweet chalky texture to this Pils. A typical German Pils features a decent malt body, and an assertive noble hop bite, but overall, a German Pils is very clean and dry on the palate. Prima had none of these attributes.

A total disappointment. Maybe this was just an expired batch. (1,121 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a thin white lace of head. Beautiful floral hops on the nose with a touch of citrus. Light in body with good carbonation. Very clean malt bill with a spicy hop finish. Good hop showcase with no real malt body . Bitter dry finish while still wetting the palette. Floral hops linger in the mouth.

Unfortunately though the beer just kind of drinks like a hopped up light beer. Light and fizzy with a big bitter finish. The lack of any sort of balance ruins the drinkability that a pilsner should have. Good if your hop lover but not as good as I expected. (585 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -34.9%

12 oz. brown bottle poured into a mug. this beer poured an almost highlighter-style clear yellow color with a moderate head and no lace. the smell was really bad. a very bad skunky grassy smell with just an over powering of skunkiness. the taste was very disspleasing. i don't know to how to describe the taste, except as a more hoppier version of heineken. i had a high expectation to try this brew but was very dissapointed. maybe i just had a bad batch(hopefully. come on, victory!). i won't buy this again, though. (518 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer was purchased as a single from Corks and Kegs - Poured into Samuel Smith Imperial pint.

Poured great with a bit too much carb and was a urine like yellow color. Head and lacing were good though.
Smell was not good at all for me. It smelled acidic and pungent.
Tasted about how it smelled and was not pleasant.
Mouthfeel was smooth and easy as well as being a drinkable beer. (385 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Pours a lovely shade of gold. Has a dense, tight white head, which drops pretty fast, leaving no lace.

Smells of spicy hops, and malt.

I taste mainly spicy hops, with a restrained malt flavor. Somewhat earthy as well, grassy flavor coming through. Decent flavor, although not really my cup of tea.

Good full mouthfeel. A little chewy, which I wasn't expecting, but it seems to work.

Overall, I wasn't impressed, although I would drink this over just about any mass marketed lager. It's not that it's bad, just not what I enjoy. Maybe my palate hasn't evolved to this level of subtlety yet. I'll try it again down the road, and see. (636 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

This is the most highly rated German Pils, I had to seek it out and give it a try, afterall I grew up drinking German Pilsners and they are my favorite style.

I'm a self proclaimed master at judging this style and to start on a good note, the malts could not be anymore perfect...well done, really a nice grain bread in the malts without being sweet, only the best of this style can accomplish that. Without argument, this is a super beer but as a German Pilsner, it falls short of what this style is supposed to be.

I can quickly smell and taste the fatal flaw in this beer....HOPS!!! Americans can never seem to get this right. Too much hops and not the proper hops to work with the malts. Good German Pilsners have a spicy and grassy, bitter hop backbone that compliments the malts. This beer has a citrus rind bitter hoppyness that overpowers the malts and leaves the sting of cheap hop pellets in the aftertaste. It's supposed to be a German Pils, not an IPA!

This is slightly paler yellow than other Pils, with a white head that leaves little lacing. Not true to the style but still a tasty drink and one would have no trouble drinking quite a lot of these. This is only so highly rated because so many Americans are hopheads. If one wants a real German Pils, grab a Radeberger!

Still quite pleased with this beer but would not buy it to satisfy a craving for a German Pils. I would rate this very highly as an IPA but if you would excuse me, I'm going to go get a Radeberger. :D (1,491 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance – Clear, light yellow color with a frothy white head and light lacing.

Aroma – I detected a hint of lemon rind in the smell.

Palate – Lively carbonation that is a little rough.

Flavor – Smooth taste with a light citrus hop finish.

Final thoughts – This is not really my style of beer but I can tell you that I’ve had much better pilsners. (363 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance: Poured a nice golden color with a little haziness. Thin white head that dissipated pretty quick.

Aroma: Had a bit of an odd smell. Some hay and some citrus from the hops, but something else that I can't quite identify, but seemed off.

Taste: Not too bad at first, a bit of hoppiness, but left a bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: Light to medium body.

Overall: Best by date well past and probably contributed to a lower quality. I expect more from Victory Brewing. I've always enjoyed their beers and needless to say, I was a bit disappointed that I had picked up a beer with an "Enjoy By" date from a little over a month ago. Will definitely have to try this again. (677 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance - Thick lacey head. Very clear golden yellow hue.

Smell - Very hoppy, sharp.

Taste - Bitter. Not as rich nor as smooth as one would expect from a great pilsener. The amount/type of hops in this beer would make an IPA blush.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Refreshing. Dry finish. (288 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Extremely hoppy smell. The head disappeared quickly (although well carbonated.). Color is very light golden. I am getting no malty flavors or aroma's whatsover.

I enjoy most pilsners but find the extreme hoppiness of this bier to be a distraction. The aftertaste and mouthfeel are absolutely attrocious in my opinion.

This is not a bier I enjoy but I can see why it is popular with the crowd. It is original in it's approach and not a tasteless macro crap.

Just not for me.

John (490 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a pilsner.

crystal clear golden yellow with an inch of foamy white head.

aroma is light; notes of skunk, sugar, lemons and floral hops.

heavy carbonation with a light mouthfeel. crisply bitter taste with an overall refreshing taste. simple, straightforward pilsner; somewhat boring. not even close to as good as Victory's others. (357 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

I had this on draft at the houlihans in parsippany. I read the other reviews before ordering and thought I was getting more of a fruity beer. It's just a regular old pilsner. Certainly not bad but not anything to get excited about (230 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured into a mug

Appearance: This beer pours a yellowish/golden liquid white pillowy head.Lots of laceing on the sides of my glass.

Aroma: The nose is of piney,woody,hops,and old malty scents.This beer is also a bit skunky to me.

Taste: The palate is of,much like the nose,pine,woods,slight hops,the old malts in the finish and even a slight buttered corn flavoring on the tongue.I would even adventure to say a little soy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is simple,thin,slightly watery,and bubbly in the finish.

Drinkability: I would not recommend this beer.The price is high for this style.But, if your buying i might have one or two of these.Overall, just not my cup of tea.

-Cheers2Beers (717 characters)