Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
bulldogg915

nicholas527

03-04-2012 19:51:54 | More by nicholas527
hardy008

2.1/5  rDev -48%

Pours a pale gold color with a white foamy 2 finger head with decent retention. There is a strong smell of overly bitter hops, perhaps too strong, and bread malt. Also smells somewhat like feet.

The taste is also bitter, overly bitter in my opinion. The malt tones down the hop bitterness a little. Light bodied, well carbonated. Fairly poor drinkability. Not my favorite Pilsener. I will avoid this in the future.

08-15-2009 03:52:01 | More by hardy008
Dougal

2.15/5  rDev -46.8%

this was over hopped to my palate and had a strange aftertaste of bitterness that was not enjoyable. the normal bitter refreshing characteristics are gone and the overly bitter exotic tastes come through in a way you do not want to drink them. This made Urquell's taste seem amazingly more refreshing and enjoyable.

10-11-2010 03:10:43 | More by Dougal
fx20736

2.17/5  rDev -46.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Pour yielded a thin white head that left decent lacing. Beer is an attractive sunflower gold with very active carbonation streaming from the bottom.

Aroma: standard German Lager smell of sour and grassiness.

Mouthfeel: for all the carbonation the mouthfeel is a little flat and lifeless.

Taste: hard for me to get past the astringent herb bitterness followed by a soapy aftertaste. Beer improved slightly as it warmed but it really seems like this a beer that is over-hopped, but not with Cascade or Centennial but rather with German Noble Hops. The bitterness overwhelms my taste buds completely.

Notes: I've had 5 bottles of this and has not grown on me. Stoudt's Pils seems immediately more enjoyable. Prima Pils is almost a drainpour for me.

07-11-2011 20:57:17 | More by fx20736
buschbeer

2.2/5  rDev -45.5%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - The body is pale yellow in color. The head is white in color and stands two and a half inches tall.

S - The aroma is grassy and grainy with a whiff of lemon from time to time.

T - Wow! The hops are more than I expected. I get a lot of bitterness with some slight metallic taste.

M - It feels thicker than a pilsner. I get a mild chalky feel on my tongue.

D - I'll just say I'm glad I didn't get a six pack.

01-14-2011 20:11:47 | More by buschbeer
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden colored beer with almost no head. Carbonation is really weak which seems to be a problem with some of the Victory that I had lately. Aroma is quite subtle has I would expect of a pils but the taste is way too sweet for a pils. I’m guessing they put too much of cascade hops in this. There is some way better pils out there.

08-04-2004 14:33:53 | More by Phyl21ca

GoBIG

08-13-2012 00:46:01 | More by GoBIG
marvin213

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate.

03-03-2009 00:00:49 | More by marvin213
riversider76

2.33/5  rDev -42.3%

Pours a golden yellow. Head disappears quickly. Lots of carbination, not much lacing. Smell was very hoppy,and floral. Mouthfeel is light. For me this taste was way too hoppy. Bitter from start to finish. If you like a light,bitter beer try it. If not don't bother.

12-04-2005 00:52:27 | More by riversider76
TLove

District of Columbia

2.38/5  rDev -41.1%

I definately do not understand the hype about this beer. If this is the "golden chalice pilsner", I'd be thrilled to scratch any pils off my list from now on.

Appearance was clear, bubbly and watery. Not much going on at all. Smell was mildly enticing, perhaps reminiscent of a watered down light lager, but nothing notable. Not much fullness. Watery, full of unattributable light malts and a touch of hops in the mouth make this beer average, but not much more than that.

06-18-2009 02:58:23 | More by TLove
Kurt_Boss

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%

My score is way off the norm, but notice how the high ratings tend to agree that this beer is a breed of its own. It makes for a difficult review because it doesn't taste like other pils. Should we treat it as just a beer, or as a particular attempt at the style? I fall on the side of judging to the standard, so please take that into consideration. This receives only a 2.5 (below average!) from me, but it gets this score as a pils. Without regard to style, it's easily a high 3's to low 4's.

This is a pils for an IPA fan. I happen to be a big fan of double IPA's, so this particular beer suits me--but, my take away is it is far too bitter for a pils.

This is a tasty beer, please don't misunderstand me. The problem is that this beer style is supposed to be an easy drinking, low ABV, refreshing brew. A good pils, in my book anyway, is clear, crisp, and thirst quenching; however, this beer is more inline with an experience such as you'll find with a good IPA.

With all that out of the way here's my take.

Served from bottle. I don't care about glass type, so I'm not noting it.

The smell is citrus, hops, and a faint hint of what many will consider skunk. (Don't worry it's not skunked, lagers are aged...a tiny hint of skunk is not a fault!)

Appearance is below average for a pils. It should be clear enough to see through, while the Prima, as many have noted, is cloudy for quiet a while. The carbonation, head, and lacing are perfect examples of what a pils should be--in this regard of appearance Victory has done a great job. Too bad for the clarity!

The mouthfeel is too think and creamy for the style. While no porter or malty bock, it simply is a little too thick. As noted previously, the carbonation is pleasant and what you expect from a pils.

The taste is the real downfall for Prima Pils as a pils. While the style should be refreshing and crisp, low enough ABV to tip several back in a session, the hops will just stick with you. This tastes like an IPA. Not an overly hopped IPA, but it's bitter, and the bitterness does not leave the back of your palate for quite some time.

Overall: This falls below average for a pils. I'm sorry to say, a typical macro pils is simply superior to this for the style.

Final words. Try this beer if you like IPA's. You may just find the lager you've been looking for. You get the hoppiness of a good IPA with the great head of a true pils. Taken in this regard, you'll find much to enjoy, just don't judge it as a pils.

07-30-2012 21:07:45 | More by Kurt_Boss
felsenpils

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Prima Pils is rather dark for the style, yet has a nice fluffy head when poured into a glass. What hits you first is the hop aroma. The taste is also hop-accented to the point that I cannot appreciate the malt body. I am not sure why dry hopping has invaded every beer style on the planet, since it was never intended for most of them. Prima pils is a solid American micro pilsener, but certainly not a "German Pilsner" as they say on their website. It is way too far out of balance. I taste great potential in this beer, but it lets me down in being just another blast of hops like a run of the mill west coast IPA.

03-26-2014 00:49:57 | More by felsenpils
scott

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%

V.07
This is a boring interpretation of what a good Pils should be.
Pale, with a quick to fade head. Below average passive carbonation.
Crisp. Hoppy, but still found it to be very uneventful. Let down by Victory with this offering. Maybe I need some sunshine?
A tad skunky with the finish.

04-09-2007 23:20:22 | More by scott