Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,825 | Reviews: 2,051
4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

This is a beer I drink on a weekly basis but have never taken the time to review. I've had this both on draft and bottle many times. However, I think a fresh keg is the best way to experience this brew. So I will review based on that experience.

A: A bright golden yellow with a slight haze. Foamy white head which settles to 1/2" with some basic lacing. Not particularly beautiful, but good for the style.

S: Floral hop notes with some pepper, lemon zest, and biscuit notes. Very clean and refreshing aroma. No noticable sulfur which is a huge plus in my book. Hands-down the best aroma from a lager I have experienced. Overall, the aroma is of medium intensity.

T: Spicy bitter hops with some lemon and cereal flavors. A nice dry grapefruit juice flavor at the finish. There are many particular flavors in Victory's lagers which I can not put my finger on. However, I could pick one out blind anyday. Unbelievably refreshing and complex.

M: A nice light body with rather strong carbonation which I prefer for this style. Highly drinkable and a great session beer.

O: This has been, and will most likely remain, my favorite lager. Victory is a true master of lagering. And I normally hate most lagers!

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

I'm moving soon so I was cleaning out the beer fridge and look what I found, a bottle Prima Pils! I don't think it's that old though - maybe 6mo at most.

A - Poured into a pilsener glass. 3/4" white pillow-y head, brilliantly clear light golden in color.

S - Mmm... the aroma is spicy from the noble hops and there is a little sweetness in the nose.

T - First impressions are a nice bitter bite and a crisp clean finish. A little sweetness from the pilsener malt is present but mostly i'm tasting the noble hops. It's working really well for me.

M - I would say this is medium bodied leaning towards light with medium carbonation.

D - This is a great German Pilsener and one of the better beers I've sampled. I really like this one a lot. T

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful pour with light honeyed color, thick creamy head, and just a suggestion of haze. Nose is very appetizing with some herbal, leafy hop qualities and a hint of bready/grainy aromas. Palate offers a whollop of flavors with ample hoppiness coming through, herbal and pleasantly sharp, with some nice malt in the background to tame things just a little. Incredibly flavorful yet drinkable at the same time. A masterpiece of a pils when judged against the American competition. Bravo.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bottle into glass

A: Golden yellow, clear with little head settling quickly

T: Slightly sweet at first with a taste of hops, crisp bitter after taste.

M: very carbonated but light

D: perfect beer after a summer long day, im looking forward to picking up a case of this beer

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a deep yellow, with small orange highlights. Carbonation is world-class, and this is beyond beautiful in the Duvel tulip. Millions of steams of orchestrated strands glisten upwards, in definitive pace. With a large white head, that lasts and lasts.

Smell is light with plentiful layers of fruit. Cut fresh hay with a citrus zest, very light effervescent grape, and tangy melon.

Taste upfront has a blast of spicy wheat, and light hay. Delicious German malts. Grassy hops, with a tangy citrus twang take over soon after. Soon the citrus takes over leading way to another spicy semi-floral hop wave. This Pilsner is overall, a blast of flavors screaming for attention. Your palate better damn well listen! The Saaz hops work well with this Pilsner, creating such a beautiful blend of flavor.

I have to say, I love this brew. It's just incredibly solid, any way you look at it. Victory nailed the German Pilsner style here. Prosit!

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Malty crisp hop distinctive pils nose. Thick sticky white head that is gravity defying.. rocky. straw yellow color with a slight lace (fine). Complex beer taste wise but all light delicate flavors on the tongue. Almost hypnoticly drinkable. Smooth light mouth. Malty crisp (Hop) flavor. There is a sharp bitterish hop dagger left on the tongue in the finish. A great beer with food (esp italian, mexican etc). This is a master representation of a pils. A wonderful session beer.. a perfect beer to have on tap for a superbowl party... I believeit is the best pils I have ever had! I bet you can't drink just one.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Just going to go ahead and say right now that this one great pilsner.

It pours with a beautiful 2-finger white head, which is dense and leaves lacing the whole way down. And the body is an attractive light straw color, with good clarity and plenty of apparent carbonation.

The smell is of fresh-cut grass and spicy, herbal hops over a present, but mostly in the background, bready-biscuity malt. Just a hint of sweetness creeps in, in an otherwise, crisp, hoppy aroma.

The taste is hop forward, but manages to stay classy. Crisp and refreshing, with dryness from generous amounts of herbal hops. The beer avoids any metallic taste, and it finishes clean and spicy. Awesome prickly mouthfeel, with just the right amount of chewiness.

Prima Pils lives up to the hype. Stock up, and enjoy it often.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a pale golden, with a good frothy head and carbonation.
Smells of those crisp clean lager flavors with citrusy hop overtones.
The taste is dead on, very clean and tasty with a nice mouthful of hops.
Great mouthfeel.
Drinkability? I'm drinking it until the temperature drops below 70 degrees here in Philadelphia.

Awesome pilsner. Has no equal on this side of the pond.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light golden color with a nice finger length head which retains as a persistent lace throughout.
Aroma reminded me mostly of fruity esters.
What a taste! This is not your average pilsner by any means. Lots of complexity to the taste yet wonderful balance. Starts off as a fruity taste; like apples or pears. As I drink further, the hops element becomes more pronounced and leaves a dry and bitter aftertaste that perfectly balances the fruity and malty sweetness. There is also lots of bread like elements as well as herbal and spicy characteristics. Really a lot going on in this one.
Great feel. Light bodied and crisp, a spritzy carbonation that prickles the tongue. So drinkable, I could drink 10 more of these. (o.k. maybe not)
Truly one of my favorite german pilsners. I've had it before and enjoyed it each time. This will continue to be a go to beer for me!

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Clear pale gold, white head with little retention but some lacing. Smells of sweet pale malt, spicy, flowery German hops. Those leafy hops dominate this brew. Oh what a finish. The beautiful hops slide down gracefully and feel great. Too drinkable. Wow. Malt and hop flavor could mesh a tad better and the head retention should be improved, but damn this is a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a just slightly translucent gold with a frothy head and some lacing. Smell: Very prominent floral hops with slight maltiness- the smell is quite appetizing. Drinks very smooth -feel the pinch of hops on the tongue with a lingering grapefruit-like bitterness with a not too wet or dry finish. Overall, a spectacular pilsner with a surprisingly high dosage of hops and honestly, in this category, I think holds its own or surpasses the German counterparts. Prost!

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

I've been waiting to try this one for a long time. Read a lot about this beer and I love everything else I've tried from Victory.

A=Light golden color. What I'd expect from a Pils

S=I love the hops. This smells great.

T=Taste is phenomenal. I'm mostly used to very hoppy beers being IPA s. Lots of bitterness from the hops which works for me. Not much maltiness that I can detect.

M=Lots of carbonation. Feels formidable.

Overall= Only picked up two of these but I could definitely see this being a session beer. Only other Pils I've ever enjoyed this much is Pilsner Urquell. Miller Lite should be banned from calling their beer "Pilsner" Another solid offering from Victory.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz brown bottle poured into a pilsener glass, best before date: 10/8/08.

A: Pours a clear and clean looking light golden straw with a nice inch thick and rocky egg shell white head that leaves just as thick a lacing down the sides of the glass. Nice little ropes of carbonation doing their best to support the head. Hard to think how this beer could be improved on any more, just give me a tiny bit more carbonation throughout the session, otherwise perfection in a glass.

S: Grassy and sweet with a mild floral hop spiciness. Germal pils through and through.

T/MF: Very grassy, haylike and floral, lemon zest and comes to mind and backed by a solid malt grainiess. Mouthfeel is mildly coarse and leaves the slightest of drying sensations on the tongue. Feels full bodied for a pilsener if that makes sense. I mean it obviously doesn't drink like a dopplebock but its not yellow fizzy water either, I suppose I could sum this up by saying it has a solid chewiness to it with a mildly lingering hop profile, nice nice nice.

D: One fine beer! Who says pilseners can't be flavorful. Insanely drinkable, good any time of the year and a wonderful American take on the style. I was worried that hops would dominate this beer but they play a well defined role in this beer, wonderfully paired with the malts. Tasty tasty stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours crystal clear, pale gold with a HUGE head...I had to fight to keep it in the glass! The head turns lumpy and marshmello-like after a minute or two. Lots of little carbonation bubbles constantly fight their way to the top.

Smell: Aroma of fresh Saaz hops. I've heard their smell described as 'sea air.' Sounds about right... Very light grassy, earthy aroma as well. Great nose on this brew!

Taste: Starts off with a strong bitter, hoppy note that never goes away. Faint taste of a grassy, earthy character, with a bit of floral spiciness. I'm not usually a Pilsner kinda' guy, but this beer is fantastic!

Mouthfeel: Light, dry, and crisp. Goes down supernaturally smooth.

Drinkability: Outstanding. This beer is far from being one of my favorite styles, but this one is incredible. I could drink these all night on my deck on a hot summer night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Man this stuff is tasty smooth! Having lived in Germany for three years it surely is delightful to find such a full flavored and tasty brew as this!
pours a nice bright gold with a beautifil head.
smell is a good down home pils smell
taste is right on for the style with a nice clean/crisp hops bite!
mouth is very pleasant and full, very straightforward.
you could vey easily drink this gem all day and then some!
I will definetly keep this one on hand at all times(beer gods willing!) very refreshing and so easy to drink even my 85 year old mother has been known to slam a few of these puppies,sweeet!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a clear yellow. Nothing to hide here with a 1/2 inch head and lacing all around, nice looking beer.

Scent is bready malts with wonderful Saaz hop. It reminds me a bit of a Duvel in the nose (must be the pilsner malts).

Taste is sweet malts up front then immediately followed by the European hops, Saaz, Hallertua maybe. Nice dry finish with the hop lingering for quite a while. This has an outstanding taste that could put this beer at the top of my Pils list. Hell, at the top of my list, period.

Mouthfeel is light crisp and refreshing. It has just the right amount of carbination and goes down smooth.

Drinkability cannot be improved upon. A great session beer with exceptional flavor that will keep me coming back for more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured out of the bottle into the pint glass with a cascading head. Very clear, bright golden body with active bubbles. Smelled of strong, grassy hops, fresh vegetable, grain husks and sweet bread. Taste was very clean, there was a grainy body that had an almost floral, going into a grassy hop taste with a very spicy mouth after you finish the beer that stuck on my tongue for a good minute after the first drink. Incredibly crisp, easy to drink, beautiful beer. I hate the fact I cannot get this beer at home.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

A= a light golden yellow with decent head and leaves behind sticky lacing, which lingers on glass for a good while.

S= Grassy, hops smell with some citrus.

T= Good light dry hop bite with light malts backing up. Decent carbonation level. Way more flavorful than the usual pilsener/lager style.

B= light to medium in body.

Very refreshing, light but yet very tasty hops coming on. Definetley more kick than the usual summer/lawnmower beer. A true European style pilsener, the classic traditional style.

Very very good. A solid brew. The best pilsener I've had yet, and I love the style. Perfect for hot summer days.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another classic from Victory. It has the perfect Pilsner profile: looks clean and refreshing, an immediate balanced sweetness, followed by a satisfying mouthfeel, and gradually finishing with that hoppy bitterness that lasts. Nice lace on the glass. A perfect summer beer that you can "repeat as necessary". A definite "Buy it by the Case". Don't share this beer with drinkers of "lite" or budmillercoors, they just don't get it, so don't give them any.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The straw to pale straw body and exceptionally white 1 1/2 finger head look sooo inviting.

So much aroma: floral hops, slight maltyness. Dare I say I smell that yeasty Victory smell? Thats in the best possible way of course.

This is everything you could hope for in a Pilsner. Bright hoppy overtones over a subtle malt background. The two ingredients are perfectly merged.

Nice clean dry, yet full bodied (for a pilsner) mouthfeel. A bit of sweetness lingers on the finish.

This was poured from a cold 22 oz bomber into a chilled fluted Schlitz glass. I admit this to a group who largely shun a chilled glass, as do I, but this was perfect tonite. Man, I feel like a rugged workin' American man with my chilled glass!

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Slightly hazy, pale golden color. About a 1" fluffy pillowy (if thats a word) head. Bubbles rising like crazy. Looks really carbonated. Lacing is wonderful and just sticks around forever. It's about 5 minutes after my first couple sips and it is just stuck to the glass. Hasn't even slid down an inch.

S - Very fragrant. As soon as I poured it I was hit with a lot of citrus. (Grapefruit and Lemon) Also some honey.

T - Grassy malt is the first taste. Leans a bit more in the sweet department rather than bitter in my opinion. The flavor from the hops actually has way more bite than you would think from the smell. Definitely didn't think it would taste this way at all. Really hoppy for a Pilsener. After the original hops taste begins to subside I found myself left with a lemon taste. A lingering grain taste sticks around for a decent amount of time after a taste.

M -Medium-bodied. In my experiences with pilseners this seems to be a bit more bodied. Very well carbonated but not to the point it's bad.

D - Very refreshing, and crisp. I'm going to cut this review short so I can finish this beer now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Real light golden Hay. Real nice head that sets an example for lace.

Smells like hop paradise.

Prima indeed. Wow. A hop cascade finale. Fine woods, pine, dough, little lemon citrus. But Completely mild and relaxed.

dry but not overdone in any way.

I'll drink the lot! This is how I want my pilsener.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance- Pale yellow color. Thin, pillowy white head. Sticky lace clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell- Zesty aroma with hints of lemon, spicy hops, and bready malt. Well-hopped.

Taste- Plenty of hop flavor. The hops are present throughout the beer, leaving a nice bite in the finish. The hopping isn't harsh, though. It's blends nicely with the malt flavor, making this a spicy-yet-mellow pils. Full-bodied.

Verdict- A very tasty, well-hopped pilsner. Close to perfect.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a chalice with an "enjoy by" date of August 26 2005.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a beer as clear as this one. It's a clear, clear clear pale gold color. Not too much head or lacing to speak of.
Smells very fresh with some mild grassy herbal notes thrown in for good measure.
This one is definately a beer for pilsner lovers. Crisp hops presense with a pleasant bitterness and a nice clean finish. Has a nice, sharp bubbly mouthfeel that compliments the flavors. Prima Pils would probably be amazing when paired with spicy food.
An excellent warm weather beer. I could drink these all night and still want more.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

A - Nice clear yellow hue with decent head, that fell quickly back into the beer. Good carbonation.

S - Nice floral hops aroma, very beautiful smelling. Clean and crisp.

T - Nice hops taste here. A very clean tasting, uncomplicated pilsner which makes it a really pils IMO.

M - To style, and not bad just an average clean mouthfeel.

D - Way drinkable. A great summer pilsner (or any time for that matter) an excellent example of a great beer from Victory

EDITED on 6/4/09

- pale straw yellow color, with really nice foamy head and strong lacy retention clinging down the glass as it drinks.

S - Floral, spicy hops character in the nose with fresh lightness. Good smelling pils.

T - Hops.... Starts bitter and slowly the floral earthiness progresses forward. Slightly chewy malt at the backbone. Lightly fruity notes are present as well. Overall taste is exceptional and well developed.

M - Crisp and clean, well carbonated in the mouthfeel.

D - Exceptionally good drinking pils and really well designed beer, definitely worth your while as a great example of a nice hoppy pils.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company