Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,034 | Hads: 4,929
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Prima Pils was served from a 12oz. bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a hazy straw-yellow color and was topped by a large rocky white head that left wonderful rough sticky tendrils of lacing. The nose was quite lively, consisting of a robustly aromatic orange tinged hop bouquet and a subtle yeastiness. The taste was refreshing, crisp, and bold. The firm bready grassy dry malt base was accented with bitter orange-lemon notes. It finished with a zippy dry orange peel bitterness, with very nice lingering qualities. The body was appropriately firm and carbonated to match the flavor profile. Conclusion: An excellent, nicely hopped pilsner that should please those who normally drink bigger/full-flavored beers. One of my favorite examples of the style.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In the interest of full disclosure, I should state for the record that this is not my favorite style of beer -- so my review should take that into consideration. I liked the appearance more than many Pilseners. An even, full yellow -- hinting toward the dark side -- with a smallish white head that pretty much disappears shortly after the pour. The aroma is a bit malty-er than a standard pils -- but it still hit my nose with that wet grassy smell that I'm not overly fond of. It had a nice, but not big, mouthfeel, and a slightly sweet taste, mildly carbonated, with little or no aftertaste. For me, this is one of the better of this style -- just not my thing. Easy drinking, though -- it would be a good session beer on a warm summer day.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

Lucid lemon yellow that isn't quite dark enough to be considered gold or amber. The lid is a shade darker than cumulus cloud white and is soft and fluffy. The foam persists for a while and leaves a small-moderate amount of lace in fat, broken rings. The nose is wonderful: all soft lemony hops with just a hint of earthiness.

Prima Pils is hugely impressive beer and I'm not a big pilsener fan. Hops are dominant, with that same lemon zesty, grassy character that is noted in the nose. This beer is beautifully hopped! It has just the right combination of citrusy flavor and hop bitterness to go along with a fuller than normal body (for the style) and a crisp, drying finish. Another solid beer from Victory.

Prima Pils is, without question, the single best German (American) pilsener that I've ever had. It would be enjoyable at any time of the year, but would be even better, no doubt, on a scorching summer day. Too bad it isn't available around here because I'd never be without it.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

I remember the first time I ever heard of Victory, freshman year in college, the guy who I was talking to was drinking a Prima Pils. I remember because of the spiffy looking green label with a big yellow hop nugget on the front. Foreshadowing is what I think they call that.

The beer itself is a pilsner with some balls. It has a good malt flavor, robust for a pilsner, but nothing too exceptional. The smell is where you'll learn what this beer is winding up to throw at you. Spicy hops abound in smell and taste. The sharpness cuts through the smooth malt and prickles the tounge. Other herbal flavors run through, as if you just took a sickle to a field of flowers and grasses. The hop blend really is unique, and it stays on the tounge long after. I feel this is the point of contention among reviews. Some like that. Some don't. IMHO I like, or at least don't mind, hops sticking on the palette. This is really an exceptional brew, unlike anything I've had. May sound crazy, but I feel my sinuses clearing. It's not insanely hoppy though. I'd be curious if anyone knows the IBU of it. Let me know if you do. Regardless, it is a great big momma of a pilsner and worth a shot.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

The beer is a pale, limpid golden yellow, incredibly bright and clear, with tons of cheerful bubbles rising to feed the head. The head is a thick froth of small, even sized bubbles, dying down to a thick mist upon sitting. The head leaves some blobby lace, but dies to a meager ring about halfway through. The head retention is perhaps my only complaint with the brew.
The aroma is just fantastic. Very clean pils malt supports a huge peppery saaz spiciness. There's really nothing quite like fresh saaz hops. A touch of cornbread to the malt, with a light lemony fruitiness. The hops are barely balanced, but I'm not complaining. Perhaps some tettnang spiciness, as well.
The flavor starts with smooth, angular pils malt, just a touch of graininess and some fresh corn. Frisky, effervescent carbonation adds a sparkle to the lightish medium body, carrying the beer in style. A faint lemony citrus seeps in, with an agressive, clean hopping blasting through the finish. Very spicy, peppery and tangy, with a bit of an herbal, floral german tettnang feel in the long, hoppy finish. The malt does a fine job of supporting the hops, a bit bready, allowing them to roam free but not get into too much trouble. The finish snaps off clean with an effervescent zing, leaving you with little to no aftertaste.
Finding a bottle of this that's not expired is nearly impossible around my area. I jumped at the chance to try this on tap, and I was not disappointed. One of the best american made pilseners, if not the best.

4.19/5  rDev +3.2%

I don't like pilsners. I admit it.

I have to give this one points off the appearance because two separate bottles have gushed forth. I wasn't able to pour the entire bottle into my nonick because the head was bigger than the beer content. The aroma is of citrus and that sour grass aroma I associate with lagers. The taste is clean, crisp, dare I say refreshing? But then it gives way to the aftertaste which is mostly that bad tasting (to me) grassy bitter aftertaste that reminds me of lemon rinds. Then again, there are those who like the taste of lemon whites. I've gotten used to it. At least it doesn't taste like water like most other pilsners I've had. A pilsner whith flavor. And an interesting one at that. I do admit this is one of the better pilsners I've had, and am rating it as such. Mouthfeel is crisp (refreshing, I daresay), clean, with a richness of flavor.

If my arm were twisted into getting a pilsner, I'd reach for this one with my good hand.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

While I am not a big fan of Pilsners,as per habit, I am rather fond of this beer (as I am with w/ most victory product, but f you if you call it bias- commie bastatrds)

It pours a light, hazy straw color, some head (not to much) and no noticable lace going down

Smells citrusy and ligt, nothing to noticable.

There is a noticable hop presence there, nothing domiating over the malt, but there is a hop thing going on. The citrus flavor is dominat in a good way, there is some malt in the back round, but nothing big.

It fells good going down, a nice light, well balanced beer. Very Very refesning break when going on the town with stuff like Storm King or Ruination. I could drink this all day and night, and, your non BA friends prob could tood. Enjoy

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

The beer pours clear to a nice straw color. The almost pure-white head quickly goes from two fingers high to less than one finger in a standard pint glass. The head dissipates to a 1/8 inch coating, but does so longer than I expected: about two-three minutes.

The aroma is invigorating. In the nose it has a mildly-sweet malt aroma with a burst of dry hops. When the mouth gets involved in the process a slight grapefruit characteristic is apparent.

The first taste offers an above-average amount of carbonation. Alcohol and malt tastes are all where I'd expect them to be, but each sip finishes cleaner than expected. That's thanks to the hops kicking in sip after sip. It's very refreshing. As it finishes, I sense characteristics of fresh baby greens and more grapefruit. This may be the perfect summer beer.

This was definitely a surprise. It's quite different from most pilsners I've had. It would be a great way to introduce semi-hop-phobic drinkers to the benefits that hops can offer.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a perfectly clean gold with a tight small bubbled head.
A spicy light sulfur aroma, great pilsner aroma, lemon, spice and herbs.
Malty taste, very light malt and apple, spicy and citrus (grapefruit)hops.
Light, crisp and dry, better than imported pilsners. I can't wait to try this with food, it should be awesome sitting on the deck in the summer with the grill going.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Bright, cheery golden color. Crystal clear. Lively looking carbonation. Head is whiter than a fresh coat of perfectly white paint. Just absolutely pristine.

Hop-dominated aroma. A little bit of light, dried bread malt is in there, but this is predominantly a mix of herbal, grassy hops and some more floral fragrances. Very light feel to it even though I would hardly describe this as a very light-bodied beer. Unexpectedly smooth from the first sip to the last. Malt sweetness is mild and is wiped aside quickly by a snappy hop bite that offers a really earthy, weedy, plant bitterness. Finishes, of course, pretty dry. Went down in a heartbeat. I was a little surprised, frankly. I was really expecting the hops to be overwhelming, and while they do dominate every aspect of this brew, I think they form much more "accessible" type of experience than many super-hopped brews out there. Much more herbal than sharp or outright bitter.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I picked a six-pack of this up at the brewery. It's a good pilsner. I am not a big pilsner fan, but I would have not problem serving this to company. I believe, on a hot day, I could down a few of these. It's worthwhile picking up a six-pack of these. Victory's stuff is just consistently good.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours hazy deep gold with a quick dissipating head.

Smells...mmmh hoppy, saaz hops all over the place with lemon and white grapes.

Taste is crisp dry saaz hops and lemon. Great crisp, dry finish.

Body is near perfect per style and quite refreshing. This a a brew I hold up as an example to macro-swillers that Americans actually make better lagers than the "king of beers", seriously, they need convincing sometimes.

Drinkability is great and the flavor never dissapoints. This along with Hacker-Pschorr Hefe are my official lunch brews.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer's head quickly dissipated, but it had a nice yellow lager color. The smell had a good whiff of hops. Which brings me to the taste... It had a nice hoppy taste a decent malt profile. The hoppiness is out of the ordinary for a lager so this was well appreciated. Not using cascade hops was a good idea as well. I really enjoyed tasting the different flavors and savoring the hops flavors. Quite drinkable and enjoyable.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Bright yellow color with a thick tight white head. Clean aroma, fresh cut grass, wet hay and a bit of malt sweetness. Nothing making it stand out but it is nice. The flavor matches the aroma. A grassy up front with a hint of malt then back over to a bitter hop finish. This beer is smooth in the mouth and very drinkable. This has to be one of the better American Pilsners that I have had to date!

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Clear pale gold, white head with little retention but some lacing. Smells of sweet pale malt, spicy, flowery German hops. Those leafy hops dominate this brew. Oh what a finish. The beautiful hops slide down gracefully and feel great. Too drinkable. Wow. Malt and hop flavor could mesh a tad better and the head retention should be improved, but damn this is a great beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours into a German pilsner glass a clear straw yellow with a luscious and ample tightly knit white head. Profuse lacing and excellent head retention. Lemon pepper hits the nose first, followed by a touch of pale malts. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, and there is noticeable hops bite. Plenty of citric bitterness in the taste with minimal malt characteristics. A bit too much of an aggressive hops presence for my preference in a pils. Still a satisfying and very drinkable offering.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

A very solid Pils with a very unusual flavor. The body poured out a murky looking light apricot color covered quite completely by a head of creamy, fluffy just-off-white foam that last down the glass and created great lacing.

The nose is solidly hops over a nice malt base; oodles and oodles of spicy hop notes. The flavor is quite rare for a Pilsener style, leaning almost to a Belgian sense from the heavy buttery and spicy flavors. Huge yeastiness is also a major part of this brew; it reminded me of the smell and flavor of water and yeast being prepared for breadmaking. In fact, there is a very strong flavor of sourdough bread imparted from this brew - quite unique.

The feel is full, crisp and quite solid; very nice indeed. Highly drinkable Pils to be sure.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a beautiful golden yellow with a big, huge billowy white head. Lots of retention and lacing. Smells strongly of yeast and lemony hops. A beautiful sight in my big pilsner glass.

The taste is a little slice of heaven. Clean and smooth with just a small amount of caramel malt. Lots of hops fill in the end but they are very welcome and not overbearing. Mouthfeel is quite casual and drinkability is off the charts. This one slides down like an oyster with tabasco on it.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a lacey white head. The aroma is of pale malts and hops. It has a very bitter scent. The taste is decent. It is light and refreshing with quite a bit of hop flavor. Again, the beer has a very bitter taste. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. The beer drinks well, but it has a lingering aftertaste that may deter some from having more than one.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

This probably pales only by comparison to the other tap beers at the brewery. It is a nice clear, golden beer with small white head and almost no lacing. It smelled of hops and other grains. It had a more bitter taste (good thing) than most pilseners. I liked the hoppiness and the bite of it, but I caught a slightly off taste that came after swirling and swallowing. This will not be my choice of beers when I go back.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

It pours a crips clear, golden straw hue. A creamy white head froths, then settles very slowly, showing nice rentention. Lacy rings spiral down the inside of the glass.

There's a presence of floral/fruity hops, along with round notes of malt. I detected a very distant, evasive sourness of yeast as well.

The dry, floral hops kick in first, with a fruit current that is very present as you inhale the sip, almost felt as much as tasted. There's again a round malt sweetness. There's a fleeting ashy taste as the malt gives way and fades to a nice crisp hops tingle.

It's rather light bodied, as expected, and it not so much coats as rinses across the mouth and tongue, leaving a dry, flat hops glow at the back of the mouth.

It's hoppier than most pilsners in my admittedly limited experience, but this is a good thing. It looks refreshing, smells refreshing, and simply, is refreshing, as the flavor delivers on the visual promise. It's damned good, and demands to be drunk, and not just one either, so I did, but it doesn't haunt like so many higher ABV brews. I'm opening my palate back to lagers again, and I almost can't wait till summer to enjoy this on the deck after spending an hour tending to the lawn. Well, the beer I want, but not necessarily mowing the lawn. But you know what I mean.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Beautiful yellow and mildy cloudy appearance with a clean white and tight head. Floral hop aroma mild new mown hay smell. Clean taste very refreshing with a salad or mild fish. Nicely carbonated with a mildly strong hop bittering. Overall, a wonderful Pils.

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Opaque gold body with huge fine head spattered with a couple of lava bubbles. Loads of lace.

Light roasted malt and oily lemon aroma. Something smells belgian.

Sweet pale malt at first fading to a dry harsh hoppy flavor. I am surprised at the harshness dispite only medium bitterness. Citrus flavors abound.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Slightly hazy, straw-yellow pour with an abundant fizzy, white head that leaves loads of lace. A persistent whipped-cream dollop floats like a cloud on a sea of gold. Pretty
Smell: Sweet and spicy hop oils, lemony, straw/grass earth notes, also a bready/biscuity character. Quite complex... nice.
Taste: Slick semi-dry malt grainy/grassiness quickly gives way to spicy, puckery bitter hops at the top concluded by a sudden rush of crisp citrus that leaves the mouth bone dry... ooooh, that was fun.
Mouthfeel: Quite full and rich for a lighter style. Carbonation is tight and crisp.
Drinkability: A substantial pilsner... am glad I tried it and look forward to enjoying several more some steamy summer day.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Another fine attempt from Victory. Poured a pale golden hue, with a soft fluffy head that I blew out of the way before first drink. The aroma was hoppy and the taste crisp, Pils are not my favorite in general but thiis my best experience with one to date. Drank all I had, so I say its drinkable.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company