Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
micromaniac129

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A well carbonated golden yellow pilsner that pours with a giant white head that fades quickly.
A big hop aroma spicy and floral sits atop a nice understated malt bill.
Brace yourself for this one. Big hop flavor flavor from the start with this one.
Finishes clean and dry, refreshing.
To me it seems as it warms up the flavor seems to flatten out and gets watery.
A big bold beer none the less.
Drink well my friends

09-27-2010 22:27:07 | More by micromaniac129
angusdegraosta

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

First review. I figured since I'm drinking this, I might as well start here. I've read some reviewers who describe this as a typical American micro-brew taste. I agree, but we're still dealing with excellence here. The hops are overdone, perhaps, but it's the right kind of hops and the right overall balance.

A good way to experience a well-crafted hoppy beer is let it linger in the mouth a while. Then you taste additional characteristics of the beer. It's been a while since I've had Urquell, and I don't know all there is to know about the style, but I can tell you a few things I observed about Prima. The color is great. I'm having trouble describing the smell, but it's distinctive enough. As far as body and taste, it's not a one-trick pony. Mouthfeel is fantastic - quite enough carbonation, good balance of malt and semi-dry taste.

I'm thinking this would go great with some wurst and red cabbage. Though only 5.3% ABV, it packs a wallop. Savor, don't pound. Tastes just fine as it warms to room temperature.

09-25-2010 00:04:06 | More by angusdegraosta
rwf08

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

This is my favorite pilsener.

A: The color of clarified butter with a soft white head on top. Looks like a macro lager with a good head. You could trick your non-BA friends with this one.

S: Sulfur and hops. It is floral with some faint citrus.

T: Clean and simple light malt flavor with citrus hops.

M: Thin, smooth, drinkable dry beer with good carbonation.

D: I could drink this all day. Once it is colder out not so much, but in Tx when does it get cold?

09-24-2010 03:08:28 | More by rwf08
greengorilla

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

I had this in a pint glass poured from a bottle. It was a nice golden color with a thick white head.

The smell was really good and very hoppy.

It has a crisp pilsner taste. It may be the best pilsner that I have had.

The mouthfeel is quite good. It is very drinkable.

I would definitely recommend this beer. It is a great value. It would be a good beer to keep on hand.

09-22-2010 01:33:08 | More by greengorilla
Strategery

2.53/5  rDev -37.4%

Reviewing this beer as I'm drinking it at an upper west side bar in NYC.

Appearance- It looks just like a good Pilsener should. Crystal clear gold, with a 1/2 inch head and decent lacing. Certanly looks the part.

Smell- Not bad. A little musky. A friend of mine picks up some smoke, which I don't. We both agree it has a bit of stinky cheese as well as a distinct sour apple smell. Interesting.

Taste- This is where this beer just constantly disappoints me. It is apparently the highest rated German Pilsener on planet earth, and it just seems like the point is lost in this beer. It almost always tastes like Victory added some liquid skunk to this beer. Which I'm sure is from the whole cone Saaz hops, but it just isn't a good example of the style at all. Radeburger, Jever, Bittburger, and even Great Lakes' Prohibition Pils are much better representations of what this style should be. The flat bitterness on the back of the palette is the most disconcerting part. When it's I've cold, it's fairly refreshing, but loses any sublety of flavor once it warms even te slightest bit.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, light. No complaints.

Drinkability- One and done. Which is disappointing for supposedly the best Pilsener on the planet.

Overall- I absolutely love lagers. I'm a contrarian when it comes to most people on this sight in that regard. I've just been constantly disappointed by this beer. The Gaffel Kolsch (an ale I know) and the Radeberger I had prior just showed so much more craftsmanship and subtlety that this beer ultimately just fell short.

09-21-2010 05:08:44 | More by Strategery
decadance

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A nearly perfect example of the style. A bit under carbonated for my taste. Smell and taste are dead on with a touch of hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel completely leaves you dry wanting more, and the abv makes it ideal to toss these back all day. Love this beer.

09-19-2010 03:48:49 | More by decadance
zhanson88

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazy yellow. Head is egg-shell white and only about a finger despite some pretty vigorous pouring. Retention is minimal.

Smell: Crisp and clean, with a hint of pale malts, hops and citrus. Not overly impressive.

Taste: Wow. After the smell I am very surprised. Pale malts and citrus are fairly strong up front, and quite a bit of hoppy bitterness comes at the end. It's probably the tastiest pilsener I've tried.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp with a clean, slightly dry finish. Carbonation is moderate and seems to be about right.

Drinkability: It's not filling and low ABV, so it's very drinkable. Definitely a great substitute for some BMC crap if you're looking to put down quite a few brews. If I had drank this straight from the bottle I would have thought it was unbelievable for a "lighter" beer.

09-19-2010 02:45:14 | More by zhanson88
mklinger

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a pilsener glass. Golden yellow, very clear with tons of visible carbonation. Nice billowy head that sticks around really well.

Aroma is bread doughy with some earthy & grassy aromas. Very much a classic noble hop aroma. Smells like a good pils.

Flavor is more complex and better than the aroma. Some pils malt toasty bready character that is quickly overwhelmed by noble hop flavor and a rock solid hit of bitterness. Nicely assertive in the bitterness; it just lasts and lasts. Once of the most intensely hop flavored & bitterest pilseners I've ever had. Maybe a touch too bitter for my tastes but overall a nice beer.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly thin as it should be. Very well carbed which fills it up a bit. Very solid beer. This is an intensely good pilsner. Nice beer.

09-18-2010 03:44:39 | More by mklinger
ectomorph

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz bottle with a best by date of 12-2010 into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pale golden straw color, great clarity with a hint of chill/hops haze, small white head, great lacing.

S - I can smell the noble hops before I even touch the glass. Earth, honey, with a hint of black pepper in the finish.

T - Holy Hoppy Pilsner!!1 German hops provide ample bitterness and flavor here. Light spicy, woody, grassy hops are balanced nicely with a biscuit maltiness. This is truly a hophead's pilsner.

M - Light bodied, effervescent, crisp. If Americans were all stuck drinking this one in the name of great taste or triple hops brewing, I could see that...

D - Very high, the definition of a light beer for any time of year and with almost any food.

09-14-2010 21:55:40 | More by ectomorph
jmdrpi

light golden in color, with a thin bright white head. the aroma is bright citrus and floral hops. the taste is well balanced, with a light hop finish.
the beer has a higher carbonation, lighter body, refreshing. easy drinkin', good for a hot summer day.

09-14-2010 03:27:32 | More by jmdrpi
DrewKid4

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Served: On tap from The Brickstore Pub in Decatur, GA in its proper glass.

A: Golden straw with a big fluffy white head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Mostly malt but some hop to add some kick.

T: Tasted more of a kolsch than a typical pilsner. Malts, mostly roasted, and some nuts followed by some hops, again for a bit of a bite at the end.

M: As light as a typical pilsner. Very dry.

D: I bought this because I've only heard good things about it. I gave it a pretty good review, but I also don't really see what all the hubbub was about. It was just another good variation of a pilsner in my eyes. Could get something similar for a smaller price in the store and still be more than happy.

09-11-2010 06:41:19 | More by DrewKid4
despainmakesbeer

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Relatively cLear color, some cloudiness. Beautiful Light straw color.White foam disappears quickly, thin lace remains around edge of glass, expected longer lasting foam for this style.Faint hop aroma. Mild malt aroma with spicy notes. Slightly bitter with medium dry finish. Malty presence in beginning. Don't find hops to be overbearing but definitely remains at end. High carbonation. Beer remains light and refreshing. Very drinkable and well balanced.

09-08-2010 01:49:24 | More by despainmakesbeer
haazer

2.6/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a hefeweizen glass.

A- Good carbonation. Pours a thick white foam head, but it goes down fairly quickly. Very filtered as it is completely transparent. Gold in color.

S- Smells piney, slightly hoppy, and hints of citrus.

T- Just like the smell. Slightly prickly, and detect a hint of nutty flavor.

M- Very dry palate. Refreshing though.

D- I could drink a few of these. Recently had a couple playing a round of golf. The abv is not that high, is pretty smooth. Just not my style though.

Notes: This will probly be the highest I rate a Pilsner. Pilsners are my least favorite type of beer, dont know why just think they're very bland. I have to hand it to victory though as this is the best one I've had. I will agree with the hype around this and the accolades this gets, but still just not for me.

09-07-2010 00:52:49 | More by haazer
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

I've been drinking this for a while now, just noticed that I've never reviewed it.

Appearance - The beer pours a Pale straw colour with a huge fluffy white head. I can see an average amount of carbonation, and there is some great lacing and the head is sticking around.

Smell - Wow.. what an inviting fresh scent. Pine nuts, hops, lemon zest, apple juice all come to mind. Probably one of the cleanest freshest smelling beers I've come across.

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an absolutely amazing moth feel. It has the perfect amount of carbonation to fit with the flavour of the beer. I can taste hops, citrus zest, and some bread and grain notes. The beer finishes bitter but it subsides and the aftertaste is pleasant and leaves you wanting more.

Drink - a world class beer that I will be happy to purchase and drink again and again.

09-04-2010 00:19:14 | More by spinrsx
trevorjn06

Washington

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a clear golden color with one finger of white head that quickly recedes to a layer on the surface. Some lacing.

Aroma is clean, pilsner malt, slightly bready and a nice earthy, spicey hop aroma. It's fairly straight forward but has a nice balance of slightly sweet malt and Noble hops.

Flavor is slightly sweet up front with a hint of honey and pilsner malt. There is a nice balancing hop bitterness midway through that has earthy tones and a base of pilsner malt. The finish is slightly spicy hop flavors and lingering light malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation.

Overall this Pilsner is crisp, clean and refreshing with plenty of flavor. I usually find pilsners a bit underwhelming, but this one has much more hop bitterness than usual and a very nice balance.

09-03-2010 03:07:19 | More by trevorjn06
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

I recently posted a thread on BA asking people about their favorite "flagship" brews. This one came up a lot, and with good reason. I've had this pilsener many times, but not in a while, and I've never reviewed it:

A: Sunflower yellow/gold, with about a 1/2 inch head and moderate carbonation.

S: Victory hop profile and then some! This is just pure malty, yeasty, flowery goodness!

T: German hops are present, and the beer is mildly sweet, with a slight bitter hop finish. No unpleasant lingering - everything is great!

M: Smooth as silk; Very "clean" beer and nearly flawless in regards to mouthfeel related to style.

D: I think I drank this one in about 2 minutes!

Quite simply, the best pilsener on the market!

09-02-2010 22:14:35 | More by Chaney
r0nyn

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Best by date says April 26, 2010, but I'm hoping I get lucky since the bottle was in a box up until now!

Pours a transparent golden hue the color of straw. A big whitish head that quickly recedes into nothingness. Lots of little bubbles running up from the bottom of the glass. Smell is big and aggressive out of the bottle, with lots of malts and grains and citrus notes. Nothing I haven't smelled before, but it's well-done.

Big bitter hop bite to start off that stays prevalent throughout the entire time its in your mouth. Follows up with some maltiness and some substantial floral flavoring that lingers into the aftertaste. Just lots of hoppy bitterness all around. Unexpected, and I hope it's not because the beer is past the date. Mouthfeel is only average, with a lot of carbonation and a lightish body. Finish is quite dry.

Drinkability is average. With how bitter and bracing it is, I don't know if I could have had another one. I'm really hoping that the bottle I had was just a bad one. Will have to see if I can find one that's within the freshness date. As it stands, a decent pilsner with an interesting floral taste, but a very bitter character.

09-01-2010 05:59:57 | More by r0nyn
rlshep

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Aroma: Sulfur and pilsner malt, followed by floral hops.

Appearance: 3/4" white head, dissipates quickly. Pale yellow color. Some cloudiness.

Flavor: Sweetness from malt. Medium level of graininess. Floral hop finish.Very clean. Some harshness from high bittering. Not as soft as Pilsner Urquell.

Mouthfeel: Medium low mouthfeel. High carbonation. Alcohol not noticeable. Finishes dry. Slick coating to the tongue.

Overall: Balanced a little bit too much to the bitterness for this style. Would have liked to see more hop flavor in finish. Overall, a good beer. Would drink again.

09-01-2010 00:34:10 | More by rlshep
bnes09

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Cloudy, lemon color. White head with minimal retention and lacing.

Grainy smell with some citrusy hops and just a touch of skunk.

Lots of hop character, bitter and citrusy with lemon and grapefruit. Malt is smooth and takes a back seat to the hops. Tangy, sour aftertaste.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Dry finish from the hops.

Its a solid pilsner. Nice flavor. Very drinkable and refreshing. I like it.

08-27-2010 01:55:54 | More by bnes09
VelvetExtract

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Hazy light gold with almost zero head.

S-Grassy, lemony, spicy, herbal and a bit of noble hops. No one scent stands out.

T-Mildly sweet followed by an impressive hop bitterness that kicks you. Grassy and lemony like the nose. Spiciness lingers. I notice that the hop profile is surprisingly and happily quite American. There is some Noble hops but they are counterbalanced by some nice citrus flesh. Great taste.

M-Dry and light. Pretty nice considering the hot weather. Perfect carbonation and ABV hidden. Great feel with moderate bitterness.

D-Have come to love this beer over time. I love the hop profile of this beer and its ridiculous drinkability. This one is usually loved by any who I have had try it. Perhpas my favorite Pilsener because of the American hoppiness I find to be noticeable in this beer's great flavor.

08-25-2010 23:19:33 | More by VelvetExtract
rebel1771

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Pours a cloudy light straw color with very little head.

S: Nice sweet hop aroma up front with just a bit of malt mixed in.

T: Dry maltiness starts the flavor out but that is quickly replaced with a hop bite that finishes cleanly.

D: I usually stay away from pils but this one had such high praise I had to try it. I was not disappointed. If more pils tasted like this I would buy them way more often.

08-25-2010 23:17:09 | More by rebel1771
esv

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

A) Man I love it. Thick inch of head. Tight bubbles. Billowy head. Looks like a belgian double. Dark straw. Head pretty much all the way down. Thick lacing. Clear. Looks well carbonated. If nothing else, it looks sexy.

S) Bready maltiness. A light, spicy, grass hops. Perhaps a hint of yeasty-ness.

T) Bread and light fruit. Slight citrus blends with the bitter punch at the end. A solid smack but not astringent. So clean, so clean. Just a hint of lingering grassy-grapefruit bitterness.

M) Light body. Clean, light mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the high side of medium.

D) Damn it's a good beer. I'll drink it anytime. It's one of my go-to's for a bomber. It's only $3.29. Great beer, great price, great beer.

08-22-2010 17:15:40 | More by esv
rootbeerman

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into duvel tulip

A: pours from bottle a nice clear yellow, but is hazy in glass, huge two and half finger foamy head. gets more clear as its warming up so it was chill haze.
S: wonderfully grassy floral hops and dry malt.
T: a light dry grainy malt upfront, with grassy and floral hops which are also lightly piny.
M: very crisp and bubbly, overall seems to linger for a short time.
D: as any pils should be is drinkable, and so far haven't found any that aren't, is could be given to be blind and i'd swear it was from Germany

08-21-2010 06:02:09 | More by rootbeerman
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a the Sam Adams pint glass.

A - Pours a nice clear and bright straw golden color with a .25 inch white head and some nice active carbonation. The head recedes fast to a thin film.

S - Extremely fresh and grassy hop aroma is well blended with some nice grainy and toasted bread aromas. Some slight pepper is felt as well. The malt and grain aromas are so smooth and clean. very inviting.

T - Starts with some nice bready and grainy sweet malt character. That, is then, well balanced with nice grassy hop flavors. Even though there is some nice dry and slight citric hop finish the grain really does shine in this beer.

M - It starts with a nice clean and crisp feel and finishes with a nice dry hop character. Delicious.

D - Refreshing and very delicious with a great ABV and overall taste. I still think Noble Pils is more tasty but this is a close second in my opinion.

08-20-2010 21:28:43 | More by JoEBoBpr
mtnbikerpa

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a yellow/golden color. Scents of cut grass, hay are upfront with scents of hops. This beers flavor is slighty dry and bread like. Some herbal flavors but overly hoppy. This is one beer to reach for in the summer. It certainly pairs well with BBQ and backyard cookouts.

08-19-2010 15:56:38 | More by mtnbikerpa