Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pilsner glass.

A- a fizzy golden yellow with an orange hue and fluffy white head.

S- Citrusy hops, oranges, lemons, intense spices, very candy like.

T- A bitter sour citrus taste with a fizzy tingle on the tongue.

M- Crisp, light bodied, sour, bitter.

O- Overall its not bad, but it's not for me. The ingredients tend to be overpowering on almost every aspect of this beer.

gabedivision, Mar 26, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

'Enjoy by Mar 1 2011'. So I'm not too far behind here. Poured into my Ephemere pilsner glass.

Appearance - Woah. This is one fine looking pilsner. Three full fingers of head are quick to disappear into a sea of golden straw yellow. This was one of the most beautiful pours I've ever gotten. Once settled, it is a slightly shrouded but mostly transparent yellow. Reminiscent of cider.

Smell - Smells heavily of wheat and natural earth tones. Slightly hoppy, crisp and inviting to the nose. Some light yeast and spice as well.

Taste - Slightly bitter on the tongue at first; but otherwise rich in spice and citrus. Not nearly as malty or hoppy as expected. Come to think of it, this beer tastes like Lucky Charms. Slightly bready with a soft sweetness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Extremely light bodied and refreshing. Quite a crisp and dry finish. Well balanced between malt grains, barley and hoppy sweetness. Overall a decent pilsner but not outstanding to me.

Jesse13713, Mar 26, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up a single from Total Wine here in Orlando. They don't have too many rarities, but with that vast of a selection I have yet to try them all. Prima has been on my list for a while and I figured it was time.

Anyway, I didn't think before grabbing the bottle... but the freshness date was labeled: "Enjoy By Feb 7, 2011". Damn. Oh well, time to give this a shot. The Prima poured a surprisingly cloudy gold; it could have passed off as a wit-bier, suspended particles and all. The white head contrasted beautifully; picture the cream on the top of a lemon meringue pie, in beer form. Unfortunately it dissipated quickly and there wasn't much lacing to keep me company. Still a great looking beer.

I don't have the most trained nose, but I immediately detect note of citrus peel, spices, pine, and grass. Definitely not like any pilsener I have smelled, once again I pick up characteristics of a Belgian white (an authentic one, not Shock Top).

As I sip the beer I finally get hit in the face by what I think is a well crafted pilsener! I'm not really going in order here, but what really stands out is the bite and lingering bitterness from the "whole flower European hops" that Victory used in this one. The wit-bier characteristics I was speaking of are nowhere to be found here. I quickly learned that these attributes were due to the hops, as their acidic nature nibbles sporadically throughout the experience. The sweet malty flavor of this style is definitely there, but simply not as long as others I've tried. The hops quickly take over in this fine example. Hops don't always mean instant win in my book, but here they give the pilsener a balance never before seen...err tasted.

Prima takes it easy on the tongue with moderate carbonation for a pilsener. The hops give the tongue a good beating but it's nowhere near overwhelming.

All in all, I'm upset I didn't grab a sixer (with a later freshness date to boot), as I'd like to see how sessionable this brew is. Either way great pilsener, probably the best and most unique I've had! Lived up to the hype!!!

ScottUCF84, Mar 25, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle with a best before date marked on the label: July 2011. Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours clear and light golden, forming a frothy two finger head from a regular pour. Moderate carbonation and lacing.

Smells of sweet and faint malts mostly, nothing special for pilsners.

Wow, this is by far the best pilsner I've had and a clear winner above them all. Starts with cracker like malt, nice and sweet. This transitions sharply into the hop notes, which are prominent. The hops are leafy/herbal and give off a touch of lemon.

Finishes dry, but overall light bodied.

What a great pilsner, this beer will be accompanying me into those hot summer afternoons taking naps on the deck. Prost!

BranfordBound, Mar 25, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Served from 12 oz bottle into normal pint glass.

A: Completely clear straw yellow with a 1-2 finger head that lasts. Lots of carbination bubbles can be seen in the glass as you would expect from a pils.

S: Light bread aroma, subtle wheat/grain, and noble hops shine through very well.

T: Hard to get over the BMC expection I have when drinking a pils. Good combination of hops/grains that is stronger than most pils, but still within style.

M: Rather heavy for a pils, but still light compared to most beers. Dry, crisp, and refreshing as expected.

D: Excellent. With only 5% abv and a light crisp taste this is an enjoyable beer!

sturner26, Mar 24, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

This is a beer I drink on a weekly basis but have never taken the time to review. I've had this both on draft and bottle many times. However, I think a fresh keg is the best way to experience this brew. So I will review based on that experience.

A: A bright golden yellow with a slight haze. Foamy white head which settles to 1/2" with some basic lacing. Not particularly beautiful, but good for the style.

S: Floral hop notes with some pepper, lemon zest, and biscuit notes. Very clean and refreshing aroma. No noticable sulfur which is a huge plus in my book. Hands-down the best aroma from a lager I have experienced. Overall, the aroma is of medium intensity.

T: Spicy bitter hops with some lemon and cereal flavors. A nice dry grapefruit juice flavor at the finish. There are many particular flavors in Victory's lagers which I can not put my finger on. However, I could pick one out blind anyday. Unbelievably refreshing and complex.

M: A nice light body with rather strong carbonation which I prefer for this style. Highly drinkable and a great session beer.

O: This has been, and will most likely remain, my favorite lager. Victory is a true master of lagering. And I normally hate most lagers!

mmercede, Mar 23, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pint glass.
(Unable to determine bottled-on date from code on bottle.)

Aroma: Floral, yet spicy hop aroma comes first, followed by light cereal grain. Graham cracker w/ a touch of honey. A very slight citrusy note, reminiscent of freshly-squeezed orange juice.

Appearance: 2-finger bright white head drops slowly to a thin cap of foam that remains until finished. White lacing clings well to the side of the glass. Body has a light golden color with a very slight haze.

Flavor: Just the right amount of cereal grain and honey sweetness is followed by prominent, yet balanced hop bitterness. A spicy hop note appears at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Appropriate level of crisp, but not biting carbonation. Low-to-medium body which fits with the style.

Drinkability: This is the best interpretation of a German Pils I've ever had. The sweetness, the appropriate bitterness, the floral hop aroma & flavor, and the color are exceptional. Very refreshing, and HIGHLY recommended!

mdvatab, Mar 20, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

120z bottle with Enjoy By July 17th 2011 stamped on the label.

This beer pours yellow in color with good clarity (although there is a very slight haze as you peer through it). Fluffy pillow of white foam topped this beer for the first several minutes, but has since settled to a thin lace with impressive head retention.

Typical lager aromas are present, but there's also a touch of hops in the nose as well. Smell is very clean.

Taste is bold for a pils. Nice hop bitterness up front, and then you get the other flavors of a pilsner. The hops linger a bit in the finish, which is nice.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Drinkable...heck yeah! This is probably my top choice for a summer session beer.

Morey's Bottom Line: The flavor from the hops separates this pilsner from the rest of the pack. Your triple hops brewed Miller Light drinkin' friends might not even be able to handle Prima Pils ;)

Morey, Mar 19, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Poured a very cloudy pale golden color. The head was three fingers, of bubbly white, that dissipated quickly. The lacing lasted to the bottom of the glass.

S- Noble hops and bread than slight alcohol on the nose.

T- Bready and refreshing with mild hop bitterness. Some floral undertones that last to the end, then some alcohol takes over in the after taste.

M- Light body with good carbonation. Everything seems to be in good balance except the alcohol aftertaste.

D- A good pilsner, I wonder if the bottle being a little past its "fresh date" was maybe why it wasn't a bit better. I'll be more careful to check the date next time, but I will give a try again soon.

KenC, Mar 16, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured a slightly hazy, pale yellow with a half inch bright white head.

S - Citrusy lemon peel combined with spice. Extremely fragrant.

T - Earthy flavor right up front with biscuity malt taste which is soon overpowered by a strong hop bitterness that lingers for a while.

M - Moderate carbonation and solid body for a pils. Dry finish.

D - Highly drinkable and although the hop bitterness overpowers the malt, its not too much. Would definitely have again, especially as a complement to a meal.

FattyJLE, Mar 16, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into pint glass. Pours a crystal clear gold with a perfect white head and nice lacing. Aroma is crisp, with a good balance of spicy doughy yeast and Saaz hops. Flavor matches quite well, with a pretty strong hop resin bite for a Pils. A little strong on the carbonation, but this is a great lively summer brew. Just hearty enough to not be classified as watery, but light enough to session.

CuriousMonk, Mar 15, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

A - translucent gold, two fingers of rocky head dissipates to lingering suds, bubbles keep rising for a while

S - biscuits, grass clippings, lemon zest, an herbal/citrus experience, very pleasant

T - similar to the nose, just a hint of malt sweetness, lots of herbal hops with a clean, dry, and just slightly bitter/spicy finish

M - lively carbonation, a little prickly, not at all heavy

D - this is a refreshing beer, a very refreshing beer, the level of refreshment makes my head spin. This is the only beer I can think of off the top of my head where I can easily see myself drinking a whole sixer

Wow, what a pilsener. Awesome hops, clean malt characteristics, a perfect summer/session brew. Not a style I drink a lot of but this one is by far the best I've had.

johnkale, Mar 13, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours into my snifter a hazy yellow, yes straight-up yellow. The head is just off-white and contains a mix of small and large bubbles. Only a one and a half finger head forms, even with a fairly aggressive pour. It then recedes to a ring around the glass. I love the yellow color of this beer.

S- Sweet pale malts and lemons from the hops. The hops also present an herbal characteristic that is quite nice.

T- Sweet pale maltiness at the front of the tongue transitions to a solid and firm bitterness on the back-end with flavors of lemon and spice. Lingering buttery/cheese-like flavor in the back of the throat. Enjoyable.

M- Medium body and fairly strong carbonation. Has a bit of a nice bite to it.

D- This is a staple to have in the fridge as far as I'm concerned. Easy to drink a few of these.

Overall, probably my favorite pilsener I've had. Tasty, and easy to drink. I don't like Victory, and only like one other beer they make (Old Horizontal), but this may be their best beer.

TK5150, Mar 12, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours into a light yellow color with a fingernail head that laces down the glass as you drink.

Has a light fresh smell with malts and a faint hint of hops

Has a nice hoppy head that follows to the nose. Leaves a little aftertaste. Has a light malt taste and a light mouthfeel.

I am not a big hoppy beer drinker but this was a clean crisp refeshing beer. Has a nice clean finish and will lead you to drinking more. I would definitely recommend this beer.

Landfill21, Mar 12, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

-clear golden yellow with a thin white head. i could use a bit of a taller head. adjunct looking at 1st glance

-has a dirty hop smell to it. a bit bready as well

-the hop taste, up front and lingering in the back, reminds me of the piney hops in hop devil. there is kind of a charcoal hop taste to it as well. somewhere in the middle there is almost a sourdough taste as well. some lingering lemon rind throughout the taste too

-very crisp, but not carb bitey at all. decent body for the style too. leaves you with a dirty mouth feel

-this is quite good. i have been wanting to try this for awhile and i am not bummed to have 5 more left in the 6er

juhl31, Mar 10, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Twelve once bottle, drank from my brand new Victory glass...

A- A crisp, pale yellow looking beer. Very appetizing appearance. A slightly noticeable lacy head lingers after the pour. Carbonation bubbles are visible. A seriously enticing looking pilsener.

S- Not much happening. I got a slight scent of spicy hops. The aroma is nice and clean, but nothing special really.

T- This is one delicious beer. The taste of hops is strong, spicy almost. However, it's never overbearing. They're nicely complimented with a low-key malty taste that comes in to play the more you drink it. A dry, refreshing aftertaste rounds it all out.

M- There was a surprising amount of bite to this one. I honestly didn't enjoy it all that much. It wasn't as refreshing as I had expected. However, this was also my first time trying the beer.

D- Despite the rather odd mouthfeel and the almost bland smell, this is a very good beer. The crisp, spicy hops and the undercurrent of subtle maltiness make for two complimentary flavors that make for one interesting beer.

pjcors, Mar 08, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle drank from my Rodenbach Grand Cru glass... A medium clear dark gold, a nice bright finger cap, great sticky lacing. Could be a touch clearer but looks fine... The aroma is quite pleasant, tons of sweet grain, floral, spice, lemon, bitter finish. Very solid... The taste is zesty lemons, grain, and floral notes. The finish is very bitter and biting, so much flavor. Not a style I enjoy but this hits home closest to the major Euro versions.

jrallen34, Mar 08, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Unfortunately, I can't read the date on the bottle so I'm not sure of the freshness of this one. It's been in the fridge for a couple weeks so it may be a bit old. Enjoyed on 03/06/11.

A - Hazy, pale straw yellow color with less than a one finger white head. Leaves little to no lacing. Color is right on for a pilsener but the head/lacing is disappointing.

S - Smell is very good. Light bready malts, crisp citrus hops and some peppery spiciness. Make sure to have plenty of these laying around for some hot summer days.

T - Very similar to the nose. Nice citrus and spicy finish. Incredibly easy to drink. Good example of the style.

M/D - Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied, just creamy enough. Drinkability is high because of the good crisp finish.

Janderson91, Mar 07, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours hazy - straw in color with a white head, some slight lacing left behind.

Smells of citrus and a mix of flower and spice. It has an overall freshness that is crisp and poignant.

Taste fresh melon up front - honeydew - but the sweetness is barely noticeable as it immediately retreats into bitter citrus, then finishes dry with a tingling spice sensation - bergamot. Has a real nice mouthfeel and is very drinkable.

Chickenhawk9932, Mar 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Beautiful pale orange body with some yellow hues mixed in and a moderately sized pure white head which fades appropriately to leave a thin lace behind.

Aroma is notably hoppy but I unfortunately forgot to check the date on the bottle so this is not the freshest example. Hops have probably faded a bit but there is enough to make me happy, with a nice floraly spice and herbal character.

Again, I'm feeling the hops may have faded a bit. The bitterness is still present but the bready malt backbone provides a strong balance against the floral hop character. Still though I'm enjoying it.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a crisp well-carbonated feel. Helps make this feel fairly refreshing.

Overall, I'm thoroughly enjoying this refreshing brew. Next time I'll try for some fresher bottles but this is still good enough. I don't go for pilseners all that much(I like the maltier lagers) but this is one I'll certainly buy when I'm in the mood.

Kinsman, Mar 03, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes 3/1/11

Appearance: golden yellow with 1 finger fluffy head

Smell: citrus, spices

Taste: citrus, thin,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp, clean, smooth

Drinkability: easy drinker. goes down smooth.

Cheers,

The CpJ

THECPJ, Mar 02, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4%

A- Golden yellow, High head that recedes quickly.

S- Hop, slight malt and some other tangyness. I love the nice fresh hop smell in this pilsner!

T- Hoppy at first, smooths to a bitter citrus and spicy taste. This one is fairly refreshing and has that great hop/wheat pilsner taste. This is my favorite east coast brewer and they never disappoint..

M- Hops hits me first, but i notice how fresh and pleasant they are. The bubbles in my mouth make it an exciting but not a session beer. Good pilsner!!!

D- Not high, but a good beer non the less! Victory never disappoints craft brew heads. Always fresh hops and some citrus. I enjoyed but wouldn't drink more than one.

JesteR14, Mar 02, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Bone white head over a clear yellow body.
Aroma is of earthy and spicy noble hops, but there is something odd going on. kinda musty and smells like spring yardwork, kinda odd im getting that in here, but the bottle is well within freshness dates.
Flavors are crisp and bright and have lemon over toasted wheat followed by the spicy hops.
Moderate body and enjoyable all around, will probally only buy this in the summer.

ChadQuest, Mar 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a clear, rich gold, with not much lacing, but lots of good foamy white head and lots of tiny bubbles that stick to the side of the glass.

Nose is very refreshing and clean, with lots of floral aromas and lemon zest. Malt is bready and light, but nicely weighted.

Taste follows with great balance, as it starts bitter, has plenty of lemon citrus, and a bit of leafy hops, but the biscuity malt comes in well to keep it smooth the whole way through.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, and refreshing as it should be for the style, but the citrus in particular aids the mouthfeel quite a bit. Drinkability is fantastic, although the malt gets a bit strong near the end, it is really well balanced for the most part.

madvermin, Feb 27, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Completely clear straw yellow with 1-finger head that lasts, not as foamy as I would like to see. Lots of carbonation can be seen in the glass.

S - Very wonderful light bread aroma, wheat/grain is subtle and the zesty spiciness of the noble hops shines through very well.

T - Don't drink a lot of pilseners but this one has a great combo of hops/grains. The hop flavor isn't overbearing at all and it has just the right amount of alpha acids and peppery zest to compliment the light and sweet malts.

M/D - Medium-light body with lots of carbonation that can be felt on the palate. Finishes with a neutral amount of dryness, not too dry not too sweet. Not the most complex style on the planet but this one is easy to drink especially now that the weather is starting to warm up.

VaTechHopHead, Feb 27, 2011