Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
jjanega08

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

A= pours a huge head that's about four fingers high. Pretty thick and lasting. Pours a fizzy clear yellow color.
S= kinda like poopy marajuana. Bricked up. Some floral notes come through as well.
T= pretty hoppy and unique. Best pilsner I've had. Not the best hop taste a little over bitter and maybe some lemon peel notes.
M= crisp and dry
D= pretty high. Not bad for a pilsner. I think its a little too dry and bitter for me but not bad at all.

03-04-2009 05:07:08 | More by jjanega08
BeanBone

Appearance: Exceedingly pale lemony-yellow, hazy body under a generous white head that leaves gorgeous clumpy lacing. A rather pretty presentation.

Aroma: Lemony and earthy hops over a honey malt base. A unique and intriguing profile.

Taste: Crisp lemony hops in charge, with plenty of honey malt in the base. Not particularly bitter, but grassy and slightly minty at times. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with crisp carbonation. Dries a little in the finish.

Drinkability: Nice and refreshing, this goes back rather quickly.

Verdict: Prima Pils is a very solid Pilsener and another very solid offering from Victory. Rather unique and quite sessionable, this is well worth a try if you're in the mood for something light.

03-04-2009 02:33:30 | More by BeanBone
marvin213

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate.

03-03-2009 00:00:49 | More by marvin213
woodske1

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Its hard to find a Pilsner that actually has a "taste". Most are bland but Victory actually did something right here.

I usually don't like their beers, but this is the best one I have had from them by far. A smooth balanced taste that works in the winter or in the summer.

03-02-2009 21:29:27 | More by woodske1
BARFLYB

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz(fairly fresh) bottle poured into a regular kitchen glass.

A- Prima pils has a very bright golden/yellow color almost straw like. A dismal 1 inch white head came up then went down with ease. Nothing in terms of lacing. A few dense pea sized clumps of foam were scattered on the surface.

S- Is pretty simple with a bunch of European hops and German malts. This one has a very floral appeal to it and maybe some spice character.

T- Very earthy with the hops and malts blending very well with one another. Getting a touch of citrus flavor as well as some spiciness. Bready quality's throughout. Some yeast in there to add.

M- Thin to semi medium in bodied with just the right amount of carb to go with it. A nice crispness to begin which fades with some warming. I prefer to drink this as cold as possible which is different.

D- All day, especially in the summer. This is a true German Pilsner. Low ABV with a great taste and a nice crispness to it.

03-02-2009 19:23:27 | More by BARFLYB
droomyster

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a clear gold with a clingy white head. Smells lemony, very fresh, limes too, with a sweet maltiness as well. The taste is extremely well crafted: perfect balance of zesty hops and honey and grainy malts that finishes crisp but has enough body to let you fully feel and appreciate its flavors. Nicely done! Extremely refreshing. One of the very best pilsners I've ever had.

02-28-2009 07:21:01 | More by droomyster
rye726

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Not too bad for a pilsner. Pours a bright yello with a nice tan head. The nose has bready malts, spicy hops and peppery yeasts. Taste is crisp and light. The herby hops add a nice component to this style. Body suits style well. Another good brew from Victory.

02-26-2009 18:15:12 | More by rye726
thekevlarkid

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Out of a bottle this classic German styled beer was a hazy golden color with a little bit of rising carbonation. The one finger white head retained nicely as a cap and left streaks of lacing. The aroma was very appealing, lightly spicy hops, big floral hops, biscuity malt and generally a semi-sweet character. The flavors were very fresh and 'bright.' It started with big floral hops, then went to dry biscuity malt and some sweet malt, light spices (cloves?), lemongrass and a bitter, crisp finish. Pleasantly sweet but not in a heavy-handed way. Marvelously complex for a generally boring style and excellently balanced. The mouthfeel was smooth, the carbonation medium/soft and the body medium. I have no problem say that this is the best Pilsner I have ever to date had (02/21/09), it would be an amazing summer beer and you have to check it out. It will change what you think a Pils can be.

02-25-2009 15:00:22 | More by thekevlarkid
ThirdLap

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a sixer at Old Time Liquor (the best little craft beer shop in Temecula) on my most recent SD trip. Ran me about $10.

Poured into my SA 'Better Beer Glass', Victory Prima Pils pours a familiar clear golden yellow with a long-lasting, lace-producing bright white head.

Slight citrusy and floral notes on the nose, but apple esters seem to dominate.

Taste is defined by just the right amount of malt, followed by a clean and crisp slight hop finish. I generally don't like pisners, but this is pretty darn good.

This beer does not seem to get better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is, again, clean and crisp, with a medium amount of body. Carbonation seems just a tad bit light for the style.

Were it more available, this would likely become my mow-the-lawn, fix-the-car beer. Very, very drinkable.

Perhaps I need to do a side-by-side, but at the moment I'd say I like this more than Moonlight's Reality Czech.

02-25-2009 06:36:14 | More by ThirdLap
JayNH

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

A- pours a slightly hazy straw color with a large frothy white head. Carbonation seems to bubble up from the bottom of the glass forever. Leaves a generous amount of lacing.

S- I'm picking up a fruity, citrusy, bubblegum-like scent up front. Very nice.... Plenty of spicy, tea-like hops.

T- Plenty of earthy, spicy hops with just enough malt to give the brew some balance. Some citrus notes are present. Has a dry tea-like hoppy finish.

M- medium bodied and quite smooth. Finishes dry.

D- Excellent, this is one hell of a Pilsner. Definitely worth a try....

02-21-2009 20:00:56 | More by JayNH
Soneast

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Basically looks like champagne. Crystal clear, pale golden color with lots of bubbles rising to the top. Thick, pillowy white colored head that has really good retention, leaves large dollops of sudsy goodness on the glass.

The aroma has a nice German hop profile upon initial inspection, followed by a bready aroma as well as hints of grain sweetness.

The flavor consists of an upfront herbal hoppiness that gives way to delightful bread-like malt flavors. Finishes with a grainy, dry bitterness.

Medium light bodied with pretty high carbonation. I love the presence of the hops in this beer. Very herbal and fresh tasting. Despite the strong hop profile the beer manages to remain well balanced, Delicious, refreshing and very drinkable.

02-20-2009 23:01:15 | More by Soneast
tugdriver7

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

I've tried this before (it was on my list)... but not since early in my craft-beer experience. Picked-up a 6'er at TDL and figured I'd try it again. The change of pace from the dark ales is refreshing now and then. And what a pleasant surprise this one is. Beautiful bright yellow (slightly cloudy) in the glass with a rich body and decent head that disappeared quickly but laced a bit all the way down. Subtle carbonation visible. Smell was a hint of malt with a nice fruity/floral hops scent, something that continued with the first sips. Rich mouthfeel and malty body with a refreshing fruity (as opposed to piney or spicy) hops flavor behind it. No "mystery" tastes (as with some craft-brewed "German Pilsners"). Tart, dry finish that leaves you smacking your lips for more. Something you could down quite regularly (and frequently) and never grow tired of. Will definitely find its way into my fridge all summer. Would be an ideal crossover for those friends who are just trying their first craft beers.

02-20-2009 12:32:37 | More by tugdriver7
sprucetip

Alaska

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

From notes. On tap at Ginger Man in NYC, a generous 20oz imperial pint. Very clear light golden, modest head fades to film, no significant lacing. SMELLS grainy wiht some grassy and floral hop support. Not strong. Faint, actually. TASTES grainy, almost sweet, earthy hop flavor and modest bitterness. Pretty clean, crisp finish. Some mild lingering hop bitterness. FEEL is of moderate carbonation, light/medium body, texture is a bit more substantial than benign. DRINKS really easy. Light, but with plenty of flavor. Way sessionable and or lawnmower/family reunion, etc. Well done.

02-20-2009 04:44:21 | More by sprucetip
SwiftyMcBeer

Indiana

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Poured a bright light yellow with a nice white head that retained nicely. Smelled like a hops factory, no surprise there. Really earthy, mineral type notes in the smell as well. The hops dominate the palate at first taste as well, but start to share the stage with the mineral and earth tastes as you continue taking sips. This one really grew on me, it has to be one of my favorite renditions on a pilsner. Typically a pilsner is going to struggle to get and hold my attention, but Victory did the job. A really good beer, could see this sharing my boat out on the lake this summer. I didn't have it with any food, but I have to think it plays quite nicely with spicey foods.

02-17-2009 21:06:35 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
Lambstrong

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Sandy golden color with a rich creamy head. Great retention and great lacing.

Aroma: Nice hop aroma with hint of mint which I wasn't expecting (pleasantly though).

Taste: Very nice mineral flavor which I love in Pilesners. The hop bitterness hits you in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Continuing on the bitterness hitting you in the back of you mouth, this beer has a great mouthfeel. Well carbonated and the flavors hit you mouth in just the right area.

02-17-2009 00:46:08 | More by Lambstrong
tlinner

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance - Pale yellow, decent white head and lacing.

Smell - Malt, banana, citrus. Not much of a hop note.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Now the hops come in. Much more hoppy than most beers this color. Citrus and fruity, some spice, and a honey sweetness that compliments the bitterness well.

Drinkability- I've really grown to appreciate this brew. It falls somewhere between an IPA and a German lager. A very good offering from Victory.

02-16-2009 20:30:47 | More by tlinner
dukedevil0

Single 12oz from Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH.

A: Pours a golden yellowish color with very little white head.

S: somewhat citrusy and yeasty

T: same as smell, citrus and yeast

M: thinner than some beers but well balanced for this style

D: super easy to drink and can't pick up alcohol.

02-16-2009 00:06:54 | More by dukedevil0
Cavalier92

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A beautiful pale amber with a thick head without much persistence. The hops are everywhere, in the nose, on the tip of your tongue, all though the mouth and in the finish. There's a good bit of easy malt flavor too, and the blend is just about perfect.

If you're new to Victory brews, this is a goo place to start.

02-15-2009 22:33:19 | More by Cavalier92
JBogan

Nevada

Pours a very pale gold with nary a head. What little head there was left minimal lacing. This beer wasn't much to look at.

At first this beer surprised me with a slight skunkiness in the aroma. After a few more deep breaths that first sensation was replaced by more of a citric quality, along with some flowery notes.

Tasted a bit better than it smelled. Some grassy hops come to the fore along with a hint of honey. Nice and clean tasting.

Mouthfeel was very good. Crisp and a little thicker than I'd expected in a beer of this type. Very smooth going down.

I liked this beer more and more as I drank it. This is a pretty solid Pils and quite easy to knock down.

02-14-2009 19:47:22 | More by JBogan
surfer4life

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into a flute from a 12oz bottle.

A - Yellow and murky with a very small head. that recedes to a few mere bubbles on the glass. No Lacing.

S - Lemons a strong, small scent of hops, but a little more sweet smelling than bitter. Sourness.

T - Kinda of flat actually. Not a lot of flavor that I can detect. Hoppy bitterness can be tasted, and a little oakiness. Not a lot more to it.

M - Well carbonated, leaves the mouth feeling crisp and clean.

D - Average drinkability. Not a great beer, not a terrible beer, just ok for me.

02-13-2009 04:20:56 | More by surfer4life
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a crystal clear gold with very little head. The scent is very nice. There's a sweetness there(honey?) with a hop stickiness too! The taste is great! Citrus hops right off the bat but then that turns to a honey-like sweetness. Then it finishes very crisp and clean! This is one of the go to light beers in the summer and I recommend this beer a lot.

02-12-2009 15:12:02 | More by madtowndmb1
remllof

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner glass. The way this beer looks in a tall glass is fantastic. A nice decent head with nice carbination and a transparent golden color. Smell is a big hit spiciness of hops. Some maltyness to it but a bit overwheaming hit of hops. Mouthfell is light and refershing. Overall a decent beer from Victory. This is one I would pick up on a hot day

02-08-2009 17:25:08 | More by remllof
diamondc

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

Bought a six pack for around $9. Best by May 16 '09.

Appearance: Perfect ... clear, golden, nice foamy head, webs of lacing.

Smell: Reminds me of going to the local bread store. Awesome. There are hints of sulphur, herbalness, and orange zest.

Taste: Lots of lemon & orange skin. Definitely some pineiness. The hops tend to overwhelm the sweet maltiness that I really like in German pilsners though. The malt comes into balance with the hops warmed up though.

M & D: Crisp & refreshing, with a pleasant bitter aftertaste that begs for more sips.

02-08-2009 08:52:18 | More by diamondc
oriolesfan4

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

I love Victory beers so this one seemed like a no-brainer to try out. While it is my least favorite Victory beer I have tried thus far, it's still above average when compared to other beers out there. Kind of a lackluster cloudy yellow appearance, not much for lacing. Smell is sort of spicy with some European hops smell. Taste is of a lot of Saaz hops to me (not sure if they were actually used), very European taste to it... but also a little hoppier (I'm guessing it was Americanized?). Nothing special but a decent beer to give a try.

02-05-2009 23:15:32 | More by oriolesfan4
cpn920

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Had on tap and it poured a straw like color with a foamy haead that was gone quickly. Smelled hops and than more hops. Taste was not what I was expecting and maybe that is because i'm not well versed in the style. My problem was the overwhelming hop flavor. Sometimes hops are over done and IMO this is one of those instances. Finish was almost metal tasting. Beer was light and well carbonated. Not my favorite beer. Probably won't come back to this one as there are too many other beers that I like a lot more. But I still think this is a great brewery...just not this particular brew...maybe the style isn't for me???

02-05-2009 13:09:11 | More by cpn920