Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,701 | Reviews: 2,026
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

The drink-by date on this bottle was 5/2/10 and I reviewed this on 5-12-10. I'm not positive how this affected my tasting, but I have a thought on that.

A: Served into a pilsener-style glass, this beer pours a clear yellow-gold and had a tightly cropped 1 finger head that faded rapidly. Lazy carbonation bubbles meander northward. The lacing decorates the glass with relatively thick tree-notch residues.

S: The aroma of this beer is quite biscuity and also had some corn, and Granny Smith apple notes. I faintly smell spicy hops. I wonder if this has faded because the bottle is older.

T: Mmm, quite tasty. I taste a nice, spicy hop balance to the pale malts, a quality I really appreciate in a Pilsener. The malts lend a sweet, creamy, almost buttery taste. The flavor somewhat reminds me of spicy apple.

M: This beer displays a good balance between crispness, refreshment, and creaminess. The hop presence lends a satisfying drying feel at the end of each pull.

D: Nicely light and refreshing, but with enough complexity to really expend some brainpower examining its merits. Very drinkable and I'll be going back to this beer when it actually warms up in the great state of Michigan.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

This is my fifth bottle of a six-pack that I've been working on for probably a couple of weeks. Was kind of hyped about this one.

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A rather translucent honey color. Leaves minimal head, even when vigorously poured, and what there is doesn't retain all that well. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Lemony citrus notes strike first, followed by a piny hop character.

Taste: Bitter and hoppy, especially in the after-taste. There just isn't much going on here, simple and to-the-point, although I wasn't expecting a great deal of complexity in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated, doesn't stick to the teeth, tongue, or throat.

Drinkability: Wrong place and time for this beer? Sitting indoors at home in the early evening on a 50º cloudy spring day. I never wanted another, though it would not be a laborious endeavor whatsoever. This smooth, crisp brew goes down with minimum effort.

Notes: I have a lot to say about this beer. First of all, it should be enjoyed cold, like right out of the fridge at 37º. The reason for this is it can't be enjoyed fast enough to prevent that unpleasant sensation that your drink is too warm. Second, I like Sam Adams Noble Pils much better. Finally, it just doesn't have anything going for it. It's a Pilsener with more of a hop taste than a strong malt profile, and as such I just can't recommend it over most of the ales I've enjoyed. Just wished there was more to it, something to further separate it from the mass-produced BMC products that boast "Pilsener taste." If this is how a pilsener is supposed to taste, then I'm not sure it's my favorite style. Was pretty hyped about this one, too...oh well.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

On tap at Jerry Remy's Bar on Boylston Street. Served in a standard pint glass. I wanted to order something that would quench my thirst while I ate my spicy buffalo wings. Clear yellow body. Lots of carbonation. Moderate sized white head. Smell didn't grab me at all. Taste on the other hand was excellent. Wonderful and light, it has all the flavor that a well-built pils should exhibit. Just a hint of malt and hops; it's the crispness that stands out. It's a lager, so it may lack a bit in my mind in the mouthfeel category, but that only makes the drinkability that much better. Low abv also makes this beer extremely easy to quaff. A nice fire extinguisher to my wings - a perfect pair.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

I'd had this on-tap before, but didn't review as I was too unfamiliar with the style. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my pilsner glass. "Enjoy by May 28, 2010."

Tempestuous whirlwind of carbonation obscures the clarity of the body for quite some time. Eventually it begins to shine like stained glass - a light very pale pear color with a solid finger of ivory suds which persits very well and laces in ornate yet compact tendrils.

Floral aromatics, suggesting roses and a hint of alfalfa. Slightly cracker-like (not quite vegetal) pale malt as well, but not "pissy" at all.

Quite grassy on the palate with rosemary and wildflower flavors as well. A pleasing bitterness from noble hops along with an almost sterile cleanliness from the malt. Vague hints of green apples and white corn (not DMS, not "grainy") in the finish as well - though it concludes very dry.

Smooth, heavily carbonated, medium-light bodied.

Oh so refreshing - spot on for the style and rated as such.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

I am usually impressed by Victory's beers, and I've had lots of Prima Pils in the past. This is a chilly rainy May day--not the sunny summertime I often associate with a Pils--but I had a taste for this one, and I'm glad I went for it.

Prima poured into my pilsner glass with a nice inch-and-a-half collar that settled down to a fine wreath of foam around the beer. The color is light-medium gold. The beer has a slight haze--reminds me of the hop-tannin haze that is often found in a Pilsner Urquell rather than the stark crystal clarity of a German pils. For that, I downgraded it, because everything else about this beer--including the name, says "Pils."

The aroma is clean, grassy-hop-and-malt. Light, but just right. The flavor is very pils-appropriate. Nice sweet malt balanced--in fact over-balanced--by crisp, clean grassy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium full, dry, crisp, but not as crisp as it would be with slightly less (and less "oily" hop bitterness). Nonetheless, the flavor balance is very typical of the style. The carbonation is just right: a bit more bubbly than "medium," but certainly not "gassy." Lots of little pinpoints on the tongue!

This is a very drinkable beer. It's refreshing, but substantial in flavor. I could have another (and I might), but one is quite satisfying on its own. Victory Prima is a very classy pils.

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

Highlights for me on this beer are the hops. Great hop aromas and very nice balance of good hop flavor while not getting in the way of the classic pilsner taste. As a lover of IPAs and good hoppy flavors this is a nice alternative and a good easy drinking summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Just a little cloudy. Light, a nice shade of yellow, reminds me of sunshine.

S: Clean. They say refined on it. Maybe too clean. Chlorine-y? Not to that extent, but very pils like.

T: O it's tasty. I'm not the biggest fans of pilsners, but I could imagine myself having a fest with some of these at a party. It tastes good, definitely has a nice hoppy aftertaste.

M: Actually, of the stuff I've had from Victory Brewing, I'd say that they fell short on this. I want more carbonation from it.

D: It's a good staple beer, an every day beer. It's light in flavor, has a reasonable amount of alcohol, but it won't throw you into a beer nap. Great if you like hops. Just could use a bit more carbonation.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden amber with light carbonation and a 2 finger creamy head.

S - Slight citrus notes and fresh hoppiness with piney notes

T - A little hint of malt and some citrus notes, more lemony than anything else. Bitterness is mild

M - Smooth and refreshing

D - Very crisp and refreshing one of my favorite pils after a hot day in the yard

3.79/5  rDev -6%

12 oz bottle poured into goblet.

A: Hazy yellow with no head. Looks like a cross between a witbier and a bud light.

S: Aroma is tough to pick up on. Floral if anything.

T: Tasting this beer throws all preconceived notions out the window. Fresh, clean hops are the star of the show here. Tough to describe really; lemon, fresh cut grass and a spiciness from the hops round out the middle. Aftertaste is slightly metallic.

M: Carbonation is medium to low. Hops leave a sticky, resiny coating on the tongue. This beer is very lite in terms of weight.

D: Rarely do I enjoy drinking pilsner, but this is a nice exception. Victory has taken a style that I just plain don't enjoy very much and dressed it up just enough to change my perception. That said, it is a VERY accurate representation of what a lager can be when good ingredients and brewing techniques are used.

The lager for those who don't drink lager!

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

Clear golden color high carbonation very little head retention.

Slightly hoppy but sour aroma.

Good hop flavor but a little one dimensional, weak malt backbone, not especially well balanced.

Dry mouthfeel, good for style but not exceptional.

Fairly simple beer but drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: clear, light straw color with a slim finger of frothy white head. There's just a touch of haze here. Looks good.

Smell: smooth, light malt with a hint of grain. Hops are nicely balanced in the mix. There's just a hint of spiciness present, as well; interesting. I like it.

Taste: malt starts of sweet but finishes dry; overall flavor starts malt-centric but finishes with a crisp hop bitterness. A very tasty pilsner.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a very good level of carbonation. It's slightly tingly, quite creamy, and quite excellent.

Drinkability: effervescent and refreshing. Quite a satisfactory brew.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A- pours a pale yellow with a 3 finger white head that laces nicely. Looks like a pilsner should

S- beautiful malts and hops with a nice bite of pine. Smells like a pilsner should...

T- YES! THIS IS IT! BMC talk about the perfect pilsner taste...and this is it. Its piney, its malty, its hoppy, its beautiful. Doesn't get any better!

M- there is a good bit of carbonation here, but it doesn't take away from the beer at all. Quite light, but goes down so smooth

D- ridiculously drinkable. My fave pilsner going today. It absolutely cannot get any better than some Prima

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

I am so stoked to try this beer. I have heard a lot of good things. I hope it don't let me down. I poured into a pokal glass at 40 degrees. Thank you so very much boralyl, for getting me this bomber.

Appearance: A nice 3 finger steady white foamy bubbly head that is leaving lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is a light straw with some amber hues. The clarity of the beer is cloudy. The appearance on the beer beer is beautiful.

Nose: A fragrant hops and a clean malt overwhelm the senses. A nice fragrant floral bouquet and some pine. A grainy malt aroma with some light toast, and yeast.

Taste: A very nice and clean flavor. Fragrant spicy hop flavor with a touch of wood. The malt is lightly toasted, and has yeast. There is a subtle sweetness in pilsner.

The mouth feel is clean, light, slightly dry, and carbonated.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is light. This is such a wonderful pils, has a very good character, flavor and is so easy to drink. I wish I had a couple more in the fridge. Thank you so very much boralyl, for getting me this.

3.91/5  rDev -3%

Can you get a prettier poured beer than this? I poured this from the bomber into a pilsner glass and was rewarded with a beautiful straw color. The beer is mostly clear with a billowy head of sticky foam that left copious amounts of lace down the sides.

The smell assures you that you have indeed poured a pilsner. Czech hops and crystal malts merge perfectly into what this style should smell like and that most American-style lagers can only aspire to.

Very flavorful, very Czech, with grassy aspects. The malt is there, but the dryness brought on by the hops (I'm assuming Saaz) leaves no sense of sweetness.

Bitter acidity in the back of the throat, but crisp up front. Not my favorite experience, but what is standard for the style. This is not a "neutral" pilsner and expect it to assert its Czech roots, despite being brewed in Pennsylvania.

Goes exceptionally well with pizza and when drank ice cold is very refreshing and crisp. Allowing it to warm will bring out more nuances and even mellow out the bitterness a little.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

Best by 6-13-10 Consumed 4-28-10

Not to take away from how good this beer is, but the golden color is interrupted by a greenish hue.

Pleasant hoppy aromas of fresh grassy hops with bitter citrus rinds, lemony grains, mint.

The taste is soft and clean with fresh, green hops, orange skin, and a dry crisp finish.

Very good, doesn't beat Noble Pils for me. Held to the traditional style, though slightly Americanized, being so voluminously and cleanly hopped. This should be a staple pils for one who can aquire it.

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Served from a 12 oz brown bottle with freshness date on side.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow with maybe a slight greenish tint. Slight chill haze with a thin white head that forms a minor lace.

Smell: Pungent grassy, leafy, and citrus hop aroma. Quite herbal as well.

Taste: Strong hops with a crisp leafy bitterness. Biting hoppiness. Pretty much all hops, maybe some very faint pale malt in there, but it's pretty weak. Definitely expressive in the hop department.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, kinda prickly from both carbonation and hop flavors.

Impressions: I can respect this beer because of its creativity and interesting take on the style, but it really isn't my cup of tea. I prefer there to be some noticeable maltiness, but with this beer there is little. Hopheads will probably love this.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Poured into a Pilsner glass. Pours a nice clear and pale yellow or gold, with a thick 3 fingers of head that stay around for a while. There's light but persistent lacing while drinking. Definitely enjoying the thick head.

S: Light, floral and bitter, but there wasn't too much in the nose.

T: Hoppy at first, and you get some fruity aftertaste. Lots of hops, as you would expect from a Pils. Clears quickly, which made it pretty refreshing after my yardwork.

M: Light, hoppy, and easy to drink.

Overall, a good beer, though not my favorite from Victory. Ii liked their Golden Monkey and Hop Devil better, since I thought they had more complexity in their flavor. But, this is definitely great for a warmer day. Not too many notes on this one, just something I jotted some impressions on after a long Saturday.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Snowbound during consecutive blizzards, I needed to survive. Rather than cannibilizing my children for substinence, I opted to crack a few bottles of this fine German pilsner.

The initial pour creates a thick foamy gusher, one which is soon to settle. The color is light gold, a translucent body that welcomes a bright sheen of natural light. It is clean looking; there is a quick moving school of carbonation bubbles within, all of them racing to the top. The nose receives a thick slab of wet grass that finishes with a subtle teasing of lemony furniture polish. The palate cannot decide which is more potent: the sweet malt tease or the pleasant hoppy blast. Perhaps, they balance out one another? The beer is crisp - as a good pilsner should be. This is an excellent pilsner, one that makes up for a quaff that occurs in snow choked Maryland instead of the beautiful cobbled streets of Prague.

A wonderfl summer beer ... yes; but one that makes for a pleasant quaff even in amidst the doldrum of winter.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A-Pours a clear straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly and left no lacing.

S-Understated citrus hops with a bit of malt. Its a pleasant but understated nose.

T-Citrus hops (lemon predominantly), some spice and buscuity malt. Its not terribly complex at all, but its very well done and balanced.

M-Somewhat dry and crisp. Clean finish.

D-Very easy drinking. This would be a great session beer.

I'm not one who is quick to reach for a pilsener, but this one pleasantly surprised me. Good job by Victory.

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%

Got inspired by the BAs for this one. First time I saw it, so I picked one up. Had a bad experience with Victory before, but BAs convinced me to give the brewery another try. I was not disappointed.

A - average blond, clear lager color, mild carbonation - at least less than expected.

S - delicate hops

T - Great! Very refreshing. Floral, bitterness from the hops, more than any lager I remember drinking.

M- Thin, less bubbly than expected. I'm satisfied with it.

D - Excellent. Would work well with BBQ or any hot summer activity. This is a beer that easily qualifies as a "thirst quencher when mowing the lawn" for the BMC crowd, but it actually tastes good! Kinda like SNPA meets crisp pilsner, to put it in broad terms.

GF stole the glass from me and liked it. She says " Whoa..taste like tecate, but weird..with..like a bitter honey taste??"

I'm not sure how the hops would work with Korean or Japanese food, but it might be a good candidate if you're cooking korean ribs instead of Hite.

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into Sam Adams Perfect Pint, review compiled from notes over multiple drinking experiences.

A: Interesting color, mostly due to shape of glass. Goes from almost clear at the bottle where it's thinnest to hazy cornstock at the top. Produced a slight head that faded quickly.

S: Lemon, slight lime, peppery, yeast tang.

T: Thin to biting. Initial taste is all from aroma then comes a mouthful of Saaz hops. Pepper lingers for a bite until lemon washes it all away.

M: Thin but quite carbonated.

D: For me this is a style I need to drink while I eat. Not quite interesting enough to want to keep exploring, but sharp enough to want something to balance it with.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured clear yellow with a small white head, which dies down into some lacey patterns. There's a moderate level of carbonation evident from the rising bubbles.
S: The aroma isn't that strong but it's a good mix between floral hops and malts.
T: There's a lot of hops in the flavor, which lend some bitterness, but there's plenty of underlying malt so they are not overpowering. It has a very bold and assertive taste for a pilsner style.
M: It feels light-bodied, crisp and a bit dry on the palate.
D: Drinking this is a breeze; it quenches your thirst and is a good sessionable beer with a big taste.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz. bottle into pint glass.

The appearance is a totally clear, light yellowy straw color with good carbonation and a decent, but thin and a bit short lasting, white head.
The aroma is a light hoppy scent with some nice zesty citrus notes. The flavor is of more zesty citrus hops, with some very light but pleasant grassy and herbal notes. The mouthfeel is enjoyable, though the carbonation is a bit strong for my liking.
It is very drinkable though, and definitely something I could go back for to enjoy a few of on a nice hot summer afternoon.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Nice pale golden body, the 2 inch head that formed quickly dissipates but leaves incredible lacing.

Aroma: Nice calm malt and bitter hop aroma.

Taste: Yummy. Citrus and floral hops hit you right up front. Balanced with a nice biscuit malt.

Feel/Drink: Nice crisp mouthfeel. Drinkablity can't get any better.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass (best by May 25 2010)

A: Very pale gold or yellow color with a two finger white head that drops quickly and leaves a lot of lace.
S: Lemony citrus hops with a little bit of floral hints. Grainy, bready, husky bits under the hop aroma.
T: Very hops focused, lots of spicy, floral, lemon flavors. There is a definite sharpness to the hops combined with some grainy character from the malt. As it warms, the hops get a little more sharper, but the aroma doesn't get stronger.
M: Very crisp, lots of big carbonation bubbles.
D: An excellent example of the style, very easy to drink and an excellent change from APAs. Highly recommended.

* Note: I had this immediately following a Stoudt's Pils. Here are some things that occurred to me. The Prima Pils seems to be a little less crisp, slightly less attenuated with a little more grain character. The aroma hops seem more present in the Stoudt's. Both are very good pilsners, if you like one, you should try the other. Tomorrow, I will edit my Stoudt's review after I start with the Prima Pils.

* 2 days later, I just started with Prima Pils and my impressions/rating doesn't change. Haven't had Stoudt's yet.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company