Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

A- Very bright yellow and not quite transparent. Head is minimal and bright white.

S- Fresh grassy smell. Hops, hops and more hops. I can see where this one is going.

T- Lively taste of fresh hops. Pilsner is just not my thing; a little too harsh. Pine and citrus excite this one.

M- Very bubbly and decent carbonation. Mouthfeel is one of this beers best qualities.

D- Again, I am not much on the strict, pilsner beers. But, if that is what you like, I would find this beer delightful. Not bad, but the harshness of the taste would get old to me.

MMAJYK, Oct 11, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Terrific clear, golden and classic pils pour with nice carbonation. Head isn't too bad either, but it doesn't linger long.

Slight sulfur aroma, typical of good pilsners backed with modestly strawlike and sweet maltiness. Very slight hint of noble hops in the background. I little more of this would be nice.

Noble hops more apparent in the flavor. Hint of sulfur on the finish, but it's ever so slight and seems well within style.

Excellent mouthfeel. Crisp but full bodied with a clean finish.

Very drinkable beer and one of the nice editions of the style on the U.S. market. Has a slightly bigger punch than classic pilsners, both in terms of flavor and alcohol. I like this beer a lot and glad I can get it here in Maryland.

longarm, Oct 09, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

I'm not a gigantic Pilsner fan, but this was pretty interesting take on the style. Thanks to phillipe2something for the brew.

Pours a light golden color, small white head. Smell is grass and ... citrus? The taste has a strange lemony/citrus bite, some earthy/yeasty hops and malt backing, and is nicely carbonated.

A decent thirst quencher, but not my fave.

Overlord, Oct 05, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -25%

Very drinkable Pilsener. I felt it was better than most American-styled Pilsener's. It had a very, very crisp taste while being great in hop and malt balance. But for being an accessible drink, I felt it could have had more of stronger flavor than its light, golden taste. This was definitely a drink many people could drink that would be a very high quality beer. However, its lightness and watery feel left more to be desired.

fitzy84, Sep 27, 2007

I'm not has a big fan of this beer as everyone else seems to be.It's a pale yellow with average smell.The taste is a strong bitter bang in the face.I'm assuming that this style of beer is not for me.It also seems that I am in the minority.So go out and buy one and judge for yourself.

matty, Sep 20, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Picked this up in Atlanta this past weekend. We went up to see BC defeat the #15 ranked Ga Tech in football. Poured into a pint glass while waiting for the wife to get home.

Pours a gorgeous clear straw gold with a two finger head that was gone with in a few sips.

A very clean aroma, with a prominent spicy hop presence.

This beer is lightly hopped and very balanced. It also has a biscuity middle and finishes dry.

It has a prickly carbonation which really brings out the hops in this brew. Very light in body.

A near perfect pils. Extremely drinakable, with a nice flavor. A great example of what this style can be.

IPAcraig, Sep 19, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. Best before date: Nov 13. 2007. Fresh from a closed case, no light exposure.

Clear golden color with fluffy white head that recedes and leaves wisps of lace as it is drunk.

Aroma is yeasty (like champagne), floral-hoppy, malty, fresh, deliciously beer-y.

Flavor is wonderfully crisp with perfectly balanced hop bitterness (very different kind of bitterness than the hops in an IPA) from start to finish, with smooth malt all the way through. Very refreshing and supremely drinkable and thirst-quenching. Exactly what I want on a hot day.

kenito799, Sep 17, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Pour was clear and golden. Big and bubbly carbonation and a thin white head.

Smell was of fresh hops. A biscuity malt as well. Light spices round this off.

Taste of light grassy hops. Earthy and a slight malt tartness to it also.

Mouthfeel was very crisp and clean. A little dry in the end with a tingle on the tongue. Quite refreshing and the high point for me.

I certainly enjoyed this beer and could drink many. Not sure why I haven't purchased it before, not the biggest Pilsener fan I guess. The bottle confirms what I thought of this on-tap. Good stuff.

ncvbc, Sep 13, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz. bottle with "enjoy by" date 12/12/07 which indicates this is a fresh beer. Purchased at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH.

Poured a light, clear, golden color with a persistent white head into a pilsner flute.

Open opening bottle could detect the flowery hop aroma of the European hops typical of a fresh pilsner.

Initial taste of pleasant hop bitterness followed by a slight malty sweetness - a well rounded mouthful. The sweetness reminds me more of a Czech pilsner than a German interpretation. Either way, this is a sophisticated, elegant pilsner

Excellent session beer to enjoy any time of the year. I am always impressed with a brewery that attempts and succeeds at brewing a world class pilsner as this is a very difficult style to brew.

jkrich, Sep 04, 2007

I've long thought that the east coasters just don't know how to do a proper IPA. And yes, I've had Hop Devil and DFH's "minute" offerings... But this doesn't mean the east-coasters don't know how to do a *hoppy* beer - behold, Prima Pils!

Pours an incradibly light gold - perhaps the lightest I've ever seen in a craft beer. Pushed up one finger of lingering head. Marks for appearance would be higher if the beer were clearer...

The aroma is all clean, noble hops. And would I be crazy if I said I smelled a hint of tropical fruit too? Whatever the case, it smells damn good.

Assertively hoppy in the mouth, and all with the strange and somewhat unfamiliary (to the American drinker, that is, due to their under-utilization) flavor of noble hops. The malt stays back, but it has the appropriate pilsner malt profile... I'm glad to let the hops do their thing. Damned tasty.

Lively in the mouth and damned drinkable. It's just so refreshing to have a beer *this* hoppy, but NOT using the PNW-alpha/citrus monsters. Too bad this is so difficult to find on the west coast...

Crotor, Sep 03, 2007

12 ounce bottle

Bought at Beverage Warehouse in Los Angeles

Very easy to drink, good session beer

Poured into a pint glass and had a 1/4 inch head

Very tasty for a pilsner and I consider it one of the best of its kind even though not one of my favorite beer styles

Floydster, Sep 03, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -4%

Pours a straw yellow color producing a thin white head which fades quickly to a paisley patterned thin film.

Clean, pleasant aromas of lemon zest, flowers, fresh baked biscuits, cut hay and herbs come to mind.

Palate is a bit thin, light and watery; but a shows off a lively carbonation.

Taste is surprisingly quite hoppy for a Pilsener. Herbs and spices make a strong presence here with a moderate bitterness. A subdued honey-bread, lemon candy sweetness follows up in the background. A bit on the light side, but clean and refreshing nonetheless.

macster, Sep 03, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Slightly hazy golden liquid, topped with a finger and a half of white head. Good retention and lace.

S - Grainy and sweet with a slight hoppy note in the background. Distinct German pilsner aroma that I can only describe as corn tortillas.

T - Grainy with lots of herbal hop flavor. Sweet at first, but it finishes dry and smooth.

M - Moderately high carbonation, light body and a somewhat astringent finish.

D - This is by far the most authentic German pilsner that I have had from an American brewery. The flavor and aroma are spot on and I am amazed that they would take the time to craft something this subtle. Stylistically, the only flaw is the somewhat poor clarity. German pilsner is by no means one of my favorite styles, but Prima is beautifully done.

nickfl, Sep 01, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

A- A slightly cloudy golden liquid fills the glass. A thick white head forms and maintains itself for quite some time but settles to a thin covering after some minutes. The streaming lines of carbonation rising to the top look amazing. Leaves some good lacing as it works its way down the glass.

S- Pretty complex for the style. Some straw, grass, and some punget hops. There is no real "skunky" aspect to the beer, amazing.

T- Hops and some biscuity malt. Sweet up front and a little sour on the finish. Maybe a little bit of tea essence to this. The hops are pretty grassy- which I love.

M- A little dry, and the carbonation is spot on. Everything seems to be hitting on all cylinders here.

D- A very impressive Pilsener- the best I have yet to try in fact. I will have to start keeping this around.

david131, Aug 28, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Inspired by the recent forum discussion of Victory's availability in GA, I picked up a six-pack of this on Saturday, after I'd consented to the idea of saving some dough and contenting myself this weekend with the suprlus white wine my mother-in-law sent home with me after my father-in-law's 60th birthday bash. Ah, well. Rational economic analysis be damned. I'm a Beer Advocate! I poured the bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: This is a strikingly beautiful beer, boasting a white foamy head you could shave with. This settles quickly, retaining thinly across the surface, topping a brew of pale golden yellow that evokes yellow hay in the morning light where the light catches it, homemade lemonade at the base, and everywhere else banana--not the peel, but the fruit itself.

S: Sweetness as from distant hay, freshly mown. That's right: distant hay, freshly mown. Hop aromas, pungent and sour, emerge as well, as if carried on gentle breeze.

T: All hops, subdued. (Tamed?) Intense but not overpowering sourness tops the foundation's picnic-blanket shake of bitterness. The malt doesn't contribute much to the flavor, but perhaps in the underlying mellowness, its presence is accounted for. The aftertaste evokes sharp cheddar cheese, but again, faintly.

M: Thin but not weak. Drenches the palate, which takes a nice long time to dry between swallows.

D: Light and perfectly drinkinable. None of that heavy-belly feeling.

I really grew to appreciate this beer over the life of the six-pack. This beer makes a subtle first impression, but repeated exposure yields rewards.

Budro, Aug 27, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

12 ounce bottle dated best-before October 2007

Pours pale and slightly hazy yellow with a little head, reasonable lace. Great aroma; lots of fresh cut grass, honey, and mint. The flavor is fabulous too. Very clean honey, fresh mint, and grass notes on the front. Finishes with bitter hop and lingering mint notes. Body is crisp, light, with nice carbonation. A fantastic pils!

dgallina, Aug 18, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer poured a dull, clear yellow into a pint glass. Not too bright, like many other pils I have seen, but this is a good thing in my opinion. A sudsy white head rest atop the brew. The aroma was grassy, earthy, and just a tad sweet.

This is a fantastically different and exciting pilsener. There is an unexpected, sharp bitter herbal hop flavor up front, along with some citrus and grassy characteristics. The malt backbone the exposes itself as being full-flavored and without a hint of skunkiness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, and carbonated enough to keep it excitable on the palate.

This is a highly drinkable pilsener, and one of my favorites I've ever tried. I would wholly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a very fine pils. Good job, Victory.

BBM, Aug 16, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

The color is a light, yellow straw-color. Very clear, but with a fluffy white head. Decent carbonation. Slightly above average-looking for a pilsner.

Smell is a nice combination of some sweet biscuity malt and a hint of wheat. An unusual hop presence; I'm shocked there is any at all! Rich, sweet smell for a lighter beer.

Bitter German malt flavor is actually delicious. Combines bitterness with a sweet, flowery malt as well. Some nice wheat, even a hint of berry. Hops are light, but they are there. Really rich compared to most pilsners.

Feel is bitter on the tongue. Thick for a pilsner, and a bit sandpapery. Still, a clean finish; bitter feel but no film. Fizzy as it warms. It's a lighter beer with some body and rich flavor. Big-time repeater for sure.

williamherbert, Aug 14, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a clean yellow with a small white head that goes away quickly. A sweet european hop aroma is there. In the taste, a dry pils and a nice hop charcteristic. An aftertaste of a dry end and every so small hop. A good body, good flavor, and hops. This was the beer that made me know that I do enjoy a good pils now and again.

OWSLEY069, Aug 12, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -29.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a pale straw without much head. Not too much aroma to speak of. Flavour is bit of a letdown. I'm not getting much of the Saaz hops that everyone else speaks of. Aftertaste does not linger as long as preferred. Pilsners certainly have their place in my fridge, but this one isn't standing out for me sadly. Based on all the glowing reviews, I wonder if I got an off batch.

sstackho, Aug 07, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

This was poured from the bottle into a pilsner flute. It has a light golden straw-like color with a decent head that is well retained and settles into 'chunky', foamy pieces. The aroma is malty and grainy with traces of noble hops. The flavor is malty (triple decoction?) with noble hops present. It has a nice balanced flavor with a hoppy finish. It has a medium-light body with moderate carbonation to it.

Overall, this is a really tasty pilsner. You could have really put this past me as being made in Germany. For an American brewery, this is an outstanding pils. That said, it stands up to the pilsners of Europe, but I would like a tad more hops in the aroma for perfection. However, this might be solely a function of the freshness. I bet this is fantastic at the brewery from the tap! This is another great beer from Victory, my compliments.

scoobybrew, Aug 07, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Touted as one of the premier pilsners in the region, so I expected some good things out of this one and wasnt dissapointed.
Very clean looking pils, with great clarity, nice white frothy head that laced nicely on the glass.
Smell of medium roasted malts and slight hoppy notes of pine or citrus.
Taste was very good for this pilsner, with decent malt back balanced by a mild hop infusion. Mouthfeel was decent as well, although it could have been better.
Good, good beer.

dmamiano, Aug 05, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

As pilsners go this is probably the best around, at least in my neck of the woods. It pours a golden color, a bit sharper than most pilsners. Smell is mild. It has that grainy pilsner taste, but goes down fairly smooth. Has a bit more hop flavor than most pilsners, but overall the taste is pretty smooth. Not the best Victory has to offer, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better pilsner. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I was hoping, but I think it's just because I don't like that grainy pilsnery taste.

WillieMoe, Aug 03, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Draught version

Clear golden color with really decent and unexpected lacing all over the glass.

Smells of spicy grainy biscuit malt.

Flavor is mainly biscuit grainy malt with some earthy hop bitterness.

Noticed the flavor seemed muddy as it warmed. One of my favorite Pils, but I do prefer the bottles to this draught- would like to try a fresher tap though.

BeerZack, Jul 30, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Beer #2 from the "Taste Victory" mixed 12 pack while I prep for an angel hair and turkeyball dinner.

A: clear, pale straw with thin white head- attractive

S: grassy ,earthy hops

T: hoppier than anticipated, crisp and dry

M: smooth, medium body but brawny for a pilsener

D: very. another hot weather quaffer.

Poured with vigor into the new Sam Adams glass.
This is a beer I will be seeing more of.

Rainintheface, Jul 29, 2007