Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

Light golden yellow apperance. Frothy two finger head that lingerd for some time.
Grainy aroma pushes its way up front, accompanied by a very sight sweetness.
Sweetened notes of grapefruit pop out mixed with a clean grain flavor. Finish is paired with a breif citrus tang that disapates quickly.
Light bodied, possible slight over carbination apparent from thick head that resulted from a easy pour.
Plesant offering from victory however very forgetable. For me, not on the top ten of brews when one goes the the store.

3.54/5  rDev -12.2%

Slightly hazy (?) light lemon yellow with just a hint of gold hue. Medium white head reduces quickly to a thin cap. Light lacing.

Aroma is more balanced than I expected. Malty with a spiced fruit (citrus) quality and grassy hops.

Aroma is more malty than the flavor. There's a quick flash of malt to start, then a transition into a mild fruity (citrus zest) hop flavor with a touch of pine. It's the finish where the hopping really asserts itself. Looong bitter finish which goes grassy and drying.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp; a touch creamy.

Not bad overall; drinkable, though overrated in my opinion and certainly overpriced.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Nonic 20oz pint glass.

A: This beer pours a very light yellow color reminiscent of BMC beers, but with a nice 2 finger head. No lacing whatsoever, but nice bubbles throughout.

S: Smells of slightly citrusy hops which I like, but the Pilsner bitter is there too which I'm not as large a fan of. The smell is the best I've encountered for a pilsner though.

T: For the style I think it's the best I've had. The hops are present, but I wish more so. The bitter pilsner flavor takes over when this beer is cold. As it warms the taste improves (for me at least) and there is a slight citrus here as well. I wish there were more and less bitterness. More malt would be good too, but earns high marks for creaminess. Finishes clean.

M: Extremely good. Very creamy and coats my mouth in a way I like.

D: For the style it's highly drinkable, this just isn't my favorite style of beer. For a pilsner though I have not had one better and would drink it again.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A light yellow lager, with a strong head upon it that seems to last quite a bit. Really nice Belgian Lace on the side of the glass as the head dissipates slowly. It is a little more opaque than others in the lager line, and if judged, this would likely be a mark against it.

Aroma: There's a strong hit of hops here, even a bit of floral-ness along with it. (Hey, is floralness a word?)

Taste: It'd be a little arrogant of me to say that this is what a pilsner should taste like. Let me instead say that this is what I imagine a pilsner should be. Stong hit of bitterness right up front that slowly fades away. Then the essence of the hops comes into play, with the bitterness intermingling with some floral tastes and some orangey-citrus hints in the background. If there's a malt or grain here, I'm not finding it, but I don't think that's the point of pilsners. I'm not a fine of bitter beers, but this one has a nice complexity about it which I find intriguing.

Mouthfeel: Brighter than most pilsners, but the effervescence quickly fades. Probably the weakest part of the beer. But still better than most.

Drinkability: If you're a fan of pilsners, this might be one which needs to be sought out. It's complex and far more interesting than other pilsners I have sought out. Not watery at all. A very good beer.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

pours a very light golden straw (into the warsteiner pilsner)...great head diminishes slowly, leaving delicate lacing. nice commune of carbonation at the bottom, some bubbles, here and there, jetting up to the mothership...

very nice citrusy, malty nose...more like lemon than anything. very promising.

now this is different. and not what i expected (though i did expect something unexpected!). extreme 'light' hoppy bitterness comes in a nice blast but thins out very pleasantly in the finish. not hardcore hophead stuff, but certainly will be deeply appreciated by most. the bitterness that remains reminds me mainly of the much more intense smuttynose IPA. i am very impressed with this. time for a case.

crisp, light to medium body, perfect carbonation, no cloying...so very drinkable and certainly an exemplary session brew...but would go so well with sushi. i would imagine it being able to take on blackened catfish, too.

along with good ole Yuengling Lager (budget...), this will be a fine late spring and summer brew. but it's fine now as a 2nd day of spring brew!

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - cloudier than other Pilsners I've had, appearance is more reminiscent of a wheat ale or a pale ale. Head pours thick but dissipates quick.

S - Hoppy and fresh on the nose, but also smells slightly musty.

T - A nice, slightly bready, clean pilsner taste; hoppier than others I've had. My only gripe is that the hop bitterness is stronger than the hop taste.

M - Fizz is light and body is thin but not too watery. Good for a refreshing pilsner.

D - I could drink these all friggin' day. goes down easy and finishes clean, making it all too easy to have drink after drink.

Overall - Enjoyable enough to consider for a repeat purchase; would be a definite standby if the bitterness weren't so strong.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Tap at O'Briens, pouring terribly so they really had to work for my pint. Poured bright yellowish and very clear. Small head that dissipated. Aroma was much hoppier than expected. Pleasant herbal hops. Hop flavor and a biscuity maltiness dominate the tastebuds and it has a long clean dry finish that is quite nice. Highly drinkable american hoppy pilsner, and a great go-to beer IMO.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a tall pilsner glass. The way this beer looks in a tall glass is fantastic, a beautiful clean golden straw color with a fluffy pure white head. Smell is a big hit of noble spicy hops. Some maltiness in the taste but well balanced by the hops. Mouthfell is light and refershing, just a little watery for my tastes. None the less, this would be a fine choice on a hot Carolina day.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A crystal clear pint the lightest of goldens, with a bright white head made of some smallish bubbles. he head retention is pretty good, with moderate lacing.
The smell is a delicate hop aroma, crisp, rather firm. Light pine with a touch of zest.
Taste is smooth, crisp, refreshing. Minty and zesty at the same time, delicious. The hop explosion is brief, with a very clean, dry finish. Excellent example of the style.
This beer drinks perfectly, nice and cold it is perfectly refreshing. Excellent beer.

3.62/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For me, this almost falls more in the range of an APA beer rather than a Pils, but since it's a lager possibly a new category should be started, APL (American Pale Lager) ? heh heh

A= nice slightly cloudy light yellow (odd for a Pils to have clouding); modest 1-finger white head in a clean glass 1/2L stein that endured for a few minutes followed by decent lacing; very effervescent.

S= bold, robust, very nice hops-dominant florals, citrus, sweet malts with a very laundry-starchy nose.

T= I'm a bit put off by the grapefruit-skin bitterness; nice hops bitters aside from that; modest sweet malts, spicy hops notes. This isn't your typical clean Pils- definitely a modded-craft beer. Several times I had to wonder if this beer was skunked, both in the nose or the taste but it isn't. It's been that way with every experience over the past number of years.

M= residual citrus-skin bitterness that for me is a detractor; nice sweet malts, florals. A bit tart on the tongue.

D= I guess if you love this stuff, you love it. For me, I won't seek it out but I'd gladly take plenty of it at a party or if it was what was being served somewhere.

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

Best by 3.23.09

The beer appeared a very nice golden color with a huge light white head that was well retained. The beer provided nice lacing. The beer was also slightly cloudy.

The beer gave off a very nice aroma. Nice malt and hops aroma. Very well done and made the beer extremely more enjoyable.

The taste of the beer is one of the best that I have tried for a beer of this color. Really nice flavor with the malt and hops dominating the flavor. Really well done.

The beer was light with good carbonation. It was smooth, refreshing and very easy to drink. This may become a staple during the summer months or all year round. Probably the best lager I have had to date.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - Pours crystal clear straw with a fluffy white head, but not much lacing.
Smell - Piney hops dominate the nose.
Taste - Bready malts and citrus notes with a bitter, piney finish.
Mouthfeel - Light body with moderate carbonation and a crisp finish.
Drinkability - Very drinkable and light.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle(enjoy by 3/9/09) into a pilsener glass.

Giant head on this one. Even after the over pour, this one's got about a four finger head. Retention is great, lacing is great. Color is bright golden. Lots of bubbles rise to the top.

Lemon zest in the nose with floral hop notes.

Pretty bold flavor for a pilsener with a slightly dry finish. Soft malts give way to the dominant hop character. Lemon shines through. Excellent balance with the hop bitterness and citrus flavor. Crisp carbonation. Medium bodied. Highly sessionable.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

A= pours a huge head that's about four fingers high. Pretty thick and lasting. Pours a fizzy clear yellow color.
S= kinda like poopy marajuana. Bricked up. Some floral notes come through as well.
T= pretty hoppy and unique. Best pilsner I've had. Not the best hop taste a little over bitter and maybe some lemon peel notes.
M= crisp and dry
D= pretty high. Not bad for a pilsner. I think its a little too dry and bitter for me but not bad at all.

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Exceedingly pale lemony-yellow, hazy body under a generous white head that leaves gorgeous clumpy lacing. A rather pretty presentation.

Aroma: Lemony and earthy hops over a honey malt base. A unique and intriguing profile.

Taste: Crisp lemony hops in charge, with plenty of honey malt in the base. Not particularly bitter, but grassy and slightly minty at times. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with crisp carbonation. Dries a little in the finish.

Drinkability: Nice and refreshing, this goes back rather quickly.

Verdict: Prima Pils is a very solid Pilsener and another very solid offering from Victory. Rather unique and quite sessionable, this is well worth a try if you're in the mood for something light.

2.37/5  rDev -41.2%

It's very light. For what it's worth, I love Victory Brewing Company. I'm concerned that this beer might be the most challenging I've encountered in regards to keeping in mind its style. It's a Pilsener, so it should be light.

Truth is--I've had it before and not really enjoyed it. Objectively, there's basically no head. I'm biased by my preferences (obviously), but this beer doesn't look that good.

For Victory's reputation alone, +0.5 on appearance. The smell is good. It smells like high-quality keg beer...which means, of course, you associate the smell with high-quality keg parties. That's good.

I hate the taste. I knew it coming in, as this is the last of my sixer bought near the end of '08. I didn't like any of 'em. Is it the style? Is it a bad batch? Seems like the smell would be worse if it were. The smell though, independent of the taste, is good. Is it just the brew's nostalgic properties? I basically hate the taste.

I admit noticing the "A" BA rating, so I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with me:<) This is the worst taste rating thus far in my reviewing life, but the BA description is accurate--I'm simply "not impressed."

Mouthfeel isn't much different for me. Maybe I don't like this style of beer? I should get another reputable German-style Pils and evaluate. Maybe it's too carbonated for me. Does that vary much among bottling sessions?

The drinkability is what gets me. I followed the thread about how great this beer was to kick back on a day like the Super Bowl. I had one then...didn't like it. I'll certainly consider an update if and when appropriate.

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%

Its hard to find a Pilsner that actually has a "taste". Most are bland but Victory actually did something right here.

I usually don't like their beers, but this is the best one I have had from them by far. A smooth balanced taste that works in the winter or in the summer.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

12oz(fairly fresh) bottle poured into a regular kitchen glass.

A- Prima pils has a very bright golden/yellow color almost straw like. A dismal 1 inch white head came up then went down with ease. Nothing in terms of lacing. A few dense pea sized clumps of foam were scattered on the surface.

S- Is pretty simple with a bunch of European hops and German malts. This one has a very floral appeal to it and maybe some spice character.

T- Very earthy with the hops and malts blending very well with one another. Getting a touch of citrus flavor as well as some spiciness. Bready quality's throughout. Some yeast in there to add.

M- Thin to semi medium in bodied with just the right amount of carb to go with it. A nice crispness to begin which fades with some warming. I prefer to drink this as cold as possible which is different.

D- All day, especially in the summer. This is a true German Pilsner. Low ABV with a great taste and a nice crispness to it.

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear gold with a clingy white head. Smells lemony, very fresh, limes too, with a sweet maltiness as well. The taste is extremely well crafted: perfect balance of zesty hops and honey and grainy malts that finishes crisp but has enough body to let you fully feel and appreciate its flavors. Nicely done! Extremely refreshing. One of the very best pilsners I've ever had.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Not too bad for a pilsner. Pours a bright yello with a nice tan head. The nose has bready malts, spicy hops and peppery yeasts. Taste is crisp and light. The herby hops add a nice component to this style. Body suits style well. Another good brew from Victory.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Out of a bottle this classic German styled beer was a hazy golden color with a little bit of rising carbonation. The one finger white head retained nicely as a cap and left streaks of lacing. The aroma was very appealing, lightly spicy hops, big floral hops, biscuity malt and generally a semi-sweet character. The flavors were very fresh and 'bright.' It started with big floral hops, then went to dry biscuity malt and some sweet malt, light spices (cloves?), lemongrass and a bitter, crisp finish. Pleasantly sweet but not in a heavy-handed way. Marvelously complex for a generally boring style and excellently balanced. The mouthfeel was smooth, the carbonation medium/soft and the body medium. I have no problem say that this is the best Pilsner I have ever to date had (02/21/09), it would be an amazing summer beer and you have to check it out. It will change what you think a Pils can be.

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a sixer at Old Time Liquor (the best little craft beer shop in Temecula) on my most recent SD trip. Ran me about $10.

Poured into my SA 'Better Beer Glass', Victory Prima Pils pours a familiar clear golden yellow with a long-lasting, lace-producing bright white head.

Slight citrusy and floral notes on the nose, but apple esters seem to dominate.

Taste is defined by just the right amount of malt, followed by a clean and crisp slight hop finish. I generally don't like pisners, but this is pretty darn good.

This beer does not seem to get better as it warms.

Mouthfeel is, again, clean and crisp, with a medium amount of body. Carbonation seems just a tad bit light for the style.

Were it more available, this would likely become my mow-the-lawn, fix-the-car beer. Very, very drinkable.

Perhaps I need to do a side-by-side, but at the moment I'd say I like this more than Moonlight's Reality Czech.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

A- pours a slightly hazy straw color with a large frothy white head. Carbonation seems to bubble up from the bottom of the glass forever. Leaves a generous amount of lacing.

S- I'm picking up a fruity, citrusy, bubblegum-like scent up front. Very nice.... Plenty of spicy, tea-like hops.

T- Plenty of earthy, spicy hops with just enough malt to give the brew some balance. Some citrus notes are present. Has a dry tea-like hoppy finish.

M- medium bodied and quite smooth. Finishes dry.

D- Excellent, this is one hell of a Pilsner. Definitely worth a try....

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Basically looks like champagne. Crystal clear, pale golden color with lots of bubbles rising to the top. Thick, pillowy white colored head that has really good retention, leaves large dollops of sudsy goodness on the glass.

The aroma has a nice German hop profile upon initial inspection, followed by a bready aroma as well as hints of grain sweetness.

The flavor consists of an upfront herbal hoppiness that gives way to delightful bread-like malt flavors. Finishes with a grainy, dry bitterness.

Medium light bodied with pretty high carbonation. I love the presence of the hops in this beer. Very herbal and fresh tasting. Despite the strong hop profile the beer manages to remain well balanced, Delicious, refreshing and very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I've tried this before (it was on my list)... but not since early in my craft-beer experience. Picked-up a 6'er at TDL and figured I'd try it again. The change of pace from the dark ales is refreshing now and then. And what a pleasant surprise this one is. Beautiful bright yellow (slightly cloudy) in the glass with a rich body and decent head that disappeared quickly but laced a bit all the way down. Subtle carbonation visible. Smell was a hint of malt with a nice fruity/floral hops scent, something that continued with the first sips. Rich mouthfeel and malty body with a refreshing fruity (as opposed to piney or spicy) hops flavor behind it. No "mystery" tastes (as with some craft-brewed "German Pilsners"). Tart, dry finish that leaves you smacking your lips for more. Something you could down quite regularly (and frequently) and never grow tired of. Will definitely find its way into my fridge all summer. Would be an ideal crossover for those friends who are just trying their first craft beers.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company