Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a beautiful light golden brassy yellow into the pilsner glass, with excellent clarity. Produces a sturdy 2 finger head which fades before too long leaving some absolutely gorgeous lacing in the glass. As far as the smell of this lager, there's not much to go by... it's very faint but whole flower hops start to come though, fresh grass, etc. The taste delivers a very crisp, tart bite to it. Some malt sweetness lingers in the back of the mouth. The good carbonation balances the hops and malt and creates a light easy drinking quality in this brew. Mmmm... I want more.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a clear pale yellowish orange into a pilsner glass. The white head dies out quickly leaving a few small fingers of lacing behind. Bubbles endlessly rise to the surface at a carefree pace, indicating a fair amount of carbonation. Smells earthy, grainy and a bit sweet. Tastes of hop bitterness at first, with the malts and a bit of lemon in the background. I'm also getting some very subtle notes of spice with a fleeting astringency at the very end. Mouth-feel is a bit above medium.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this at Belmont Station in Portland 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A- Light golden color, very active, nice head that faded fairly fast, decent lacing

S- I caught a little bit of lemon, very clean crisp smell.

T- Light, very crisp and refreshing

M- Light, Little fizzy

D- Very easy to drink, this is thirst quenching.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

I've heard the high recommendations and I love a good pilsner, so here we go...

Pale yellow color with just the slightest haze, thick white head bubbles up past the top of the glass but is too sticky to overflow.

Good clean smell, citrus and light floral notes. I can't wait to take a sip!

Clean flavor too, all-malt with solid floral and grapefruit notes.

Light body with good crispness, perfectly to style.

One of the better pilsners out there - clean, crisp, and fantastic.

I didn't notice until after I finished it that it was past its "best by" date (6/22/08) by about 1 month. It didn't seem to matter.

Tasted on 7/19/08.

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow. A nice think white head at first, but it fades fast.

S: A nice floral hop scent with a little citrus coming in. A nice clean smelling beer.

T: Very nice tasting beer. Hops come through very nice but not to harsh. A little spice in there too. But the hops is dominant, and the hops give a nice floral after taste that stays with you. Very nice.

The best Pilsener I have had to date. Nice clean taste. Nothing really exciting about this. It is just good and drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Prima Pils pours very clear and a very pretty bright yellow color and has a fluffy, white head. The nose is very nice, with lemon zest and noble hop aromas dominating.

The taste has a bit of sweet malt, along with more lemon notes and grassy hop flavors. A harsh hop bitterness shows up on the end, which quickly dominates the flavor in a way that is not very pleasant for me. The mouthfeel is about right on for the style; medium/thin with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Overall, though I appreicate what Victory is probably trying to do - make a hoppy, craft pilsner - the bitterness is just a bit too harsh and out-of-balance for me.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- very pale golden color body with a finger of quickly vanishing white colored head and many small streams of bubbles rushing to the top of the glass.

S- grainy, bready malts. some citrus hops. thats about it

T- lots of bready malt upfront and a massive blast of hops at the end.

M- light crisp clean and refreshing

D- easily the best pils ive ever had. the blast of hops puts this one in a class of its own. the low ABV makes it very sessionable, this beer is great. another victory success.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Taco Mac in Cumming, GA last night into a clean, clear pint glass. Bartender there intentionally (imo) poured the beer all of the way to the brim, not allowing me to see the head if there is one. I appreciate "getting more beer" I suppose but again it would have been nice to see the head if any.

A Negatively affected by the pour at Taco Mac but the body is much like a Budweiser. A basic Pils. (3.0)

S Not much smell. Some distant hops. Reminded me of a Bud really. (2.0)

T Not much taste here. Some grains, distant hops, not happy with this taste. It was just sort of "not there." (2.5)

M Thin, dissapointing. (3.0)

D Good but I don't think that I will order this again. (4.0)

Notes: I suppose that it is true to the style but I don't think that I like this style. I love other Victory offerings and so I was looking forward to this one and (as you can tell) I was dissapointed.

Addendum 11 23 08: Alerted by ububru, I may have actually been served a Bud. If so, this would have been the second mistake by the watiress that night. I will keep my comments and my ratings here but pick up a prima pils soon, drink it and rate it (with an open mind) and of course it it is different, I will disgard this review and add a new one.

New review 12 8 08 after re purchase the other day at World Market. Poured from a bottle so I am sure that this is actually a Prima Pils. Freshness date of 12 19 08 (whew!).

A White, bubbly head and a nice but cloudy yellow body. Good look for a Pilsner.

S Kind of typical Pilsner smell but much more scent than say a bud. There might be a sweetness there too. Really nice.

T Oh, this IS a Prima Pils and it is NOT what I was served at Taco Mac that night. The taste is mostly a basic Pils but there are nice grains, maybe even some distanct spices (?) that can be tasted. Really nice Pils and clearly dominate in the style. I burp and get that same Pils burp (you know, the slightly acidic Pils burp) but the taste is so much more interesting than any macro that I have tasted. There might even be a sweetness (?) to it. Really great.

M Nice and light but certainly "bigger" than the macros.

D Great. My favorite Pils to date.

Notes: Thanks to ububru for prompting me that I was served the wrong beer. I am so glad that I sought this out again. I can certainly see buying this again. Victory's reputation has been saved! Updated ratings, of course, reflected in this real review. Prior scores listed next to categories above for comparison.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a clear golden/yellow color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of cooked corn, hops, diacetyl. The corn overpowers the aroma. Taste is malty with a hop bite in the finish. I get some honey and some bready flavors throughout. Medium body, sweet almost sticky mouthfeel, crisp carbonation. Great pilsner I could see a few of these in my future.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

This is interesting, very hoppy and bitter for the body, but clean, tasty, and light at the same time.

Bright gold, it has a medium, lasting white head, slowly shrinking and leaving a little decent lace.

The aroma is very nice and very German, bready very herbal with a little lemon and a hint of pine.

The taste is lightly malty with a a little honey and a strong herbal-citrus hop flavour with bitterness starting off softly but then taking over quite strongly to dominate the character. It has prominent herbal-citrus hop flavour and bitterness, and is clean and dry in the finish, with the hop taste and bitterness lingering strongly.

I like it, but it is a little too bitter for me, especially considering the light body, and it takes the hop emphasis a little too far for this style. At the same time, the actual flavour is rather light and almost one-dimensional, without the nice play of malt and hop flavours that I like in the style. I definitely prefer a little less bitterness, a little more balance, and more flavour. That said, it is very, very clean, somewhat tasty, interesting, and different. Additionally, although the bitterness brings down the drinkability for me, it is not so bitter as to bring it down too far and I still find it fairly drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours a golden color with a touch of haze. The head is white and 1 finger in height. No major sediment to speak of. Great lacing is present.

S- Nice honey graham, graininess, nice hop presence with notes of pear, light orange. Nice.

T- Starts out with some nice maltiness with light citrus notes then quickly transitions to some nice dry hops with a residual feel of pear and apple notes. Nice!

M- Low medium carbonation. Nice balance of hops and malt.

D- This is an exceptional german pilsner. I would call it a czech/german hybrid. I will definitely be drinking again, especially @ the 5.3% ABV!

4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance:
A rather cloudy beer with some protein haze, unexpected for style. A light golden color, OK. Good carbonation, head retention.

Smell:
Amazing, pils malt and continental hops, in perfect harmony. No esters, fusels, diacetyl or other flaws.

Taste:
Clean grainy taste, followed by lingering bitterness. A tad more bitter than most German Pilseners, however this is probably closer to traditional style than modern german pilsners. I am going to give a 4.5 here.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and lovely.

Drinkability:
Jesus, I am not sure I can think of a beer that is this drinkable. I could have 50 or 100. Ok... 5 or 6.

Great Pils. If it were clear, it'd be almost perfect.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a pale yellow with minimal, quickly dissipating head. Leaves little to no lacing.

Smell - Mildly hoppy, with malt and spice notes. Almost a "grassy" quality...but in a good way.

Taste - A bit hoppier than your typical pilsner...get a lot of hops with a malt base. Grain taste as well. Leaves a slight aftertaste. Very excellent if you like hops.

Mouthfeel - Huge amount of carbonation. Very light body.

Drinkability - Could easily drink a bunch of these - very smooth and light.

I'm not the biggest fan of pilsners but this is an excellent beer (as a hops fan)...definitely recommended. Everything I've ever had from Victory is good!

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

on tap pour incorrectly into a pint glass

a: nice straw yellow color, foamy head

s: hoppy with floral notes

t: clean with floral notes and grain. The hops do not over power the beer but provide a nice bitterness.

m&d: medium body, with decent carbonation. Very refressing beer and extremely drinkable

Excellent Beer!!

Cheers!!

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours like a wheat beer--lots of cloudiness, straw to golden color. Frothy head that leaves good ring lace.

Mild hop aroma with a proper malt base. Slightly skunked in this one.

More hoppy than most pilsners. It has a very rich body for the style.

Doesn't really fit the style, but it is delicious.

2.98/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured into a 12oz glass, the head forms and dissipates quickly, leaves some lacing down the glass. The color is a lemony yellow with quite a lot of carbonation. The smell is not that impressive, citrusy hops mostly. Nor is the flavor that impressive, not bad but not great. Mostly the citus from the hops overpowers the malt. I really don't think this is a bad brew, but it's certainly not one of my favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a flute.

4.0 A: A tiny bit hazy. Straw colored. Very nice head retention and steady stream of bubbles from bottle of glass. Leaves plenty of lacing.

4.0 S: Hoppy for the style. Grassy and herbal hops. Balanced well with sweet and spicy malt character.

4.0 T: Hops manifest themselves in the taste as much as they do the nose. Quite bitter for a Pils. Earthy first, then spicy. Hopheads will love this. Though I love hoppy beers, I really don't want my Pilsners to be this bitter. Still, it is done really well if you accept that it's out of the ordinary.

3.5 M: This is the low point of the brew, but it isn't terrible. It could be a little creamier, but that's about it.

4.0 D: Not a boring Pilsner in the least. This Pils thinks it's an IPA. This should keep you happy for a while.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a slightly hazed golden color, although it is still transparent. A thin bright white head sits on top and lingers with good retention.

The aroma is pretty nice for a pils. A bit of citrusy lemon peel provides a relatively hoppy nose. Not a ton going on, but for a pils it's certainly impressive.

The taste is pretty good. Again, a good bit of citrus up front only to finish slightly bready and very clean.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, full of lively carbonation giving a really cleansing crip feeling.

Drinkability is high. It's a solid pils from pour to finish. The first time I tried this beer I didn't like it, but I've since developed a better appreciation for the style. I'm very pleased I revisited this pils.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Poured a slightly hazy deep gold with a good head and some decent lacing.

Smell: Well, no big surprise here. Floral hops dominate, with a little bread dough in the background.

Taste is the spicy hop bite you'd expect, with some citrus notes. A grainy bread element is there too, and has a bit of sweetness that is a nice counter balance to all that bitterness. Nice craft here.

Mouthfeel translates into a level of drinkability. Fair carbonation keeps the flavors from being too cloying, but you know what you are buying here (look at the label!). My drinkability numbers come down as this is very very good, but in the 2-3 in a row range. I just personally have a hard time heavy sessioning super hop-saturated beers. Not a negative, as it is intentionally off balance and heavy-handed in the hop department. Try it.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured out a pale straw with a bit of head, but not much.

Smelled strongly of hops as I emptied the bottle into the pint glass, but as it sits the smell settles to a spicy hops and sweet malt.

MMM pils. exactly what you expect. hops up front and in the finish with a little bit of tasty malt. It's just what you expect, but not amazing like a few pils imports I've tried.

With the Phils in the Series I may drink more than a sixer tonight. I could even go one per inning.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%

One of the staple brews from one of my fav PA breweries, how can this possibly go wrong??

A: Deep, clear yellow, with a big, lacy white head. Nice retention and great lacing.

S: Sweet hop aroma, resembling freshly cut grass or flowers. Some malt is present as well, with hints of citrus.

T: Hops are obviously the standout here, and they are incredibly complex. There's a big bite of bitterness initially, then a lingering spiciness. The hops gradually become rather herbal and earthy. Malts are present but subdued in relation to the hops. They leave a nice touch of sweetness near the finish and give the brew enough of an overall balance to avoid becoming overwhelming.

M: Moderately smooth, the finish is certainly a bit dry. Body is medium, with very active carbonation.

D: Another superstar in the Victory lineup, which comes as no surprise. By far the greatest Pilsner I've had yet, these guys make an awesome big brew out of a style that is usually pretty straightforward. Definetly a brew you should get your hands on, you'll be amazed at the complexity this offers.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Bottle poured clear pale yellow with a big white head in my pint glass. Aromas of light malts and intense hops filled my nose

This brew tastes awesome citrus malts and great malt sweetness. It's kind of strange how the hops stand out first then the sweetness follows on this brew. Nice and light in the mouth and crisp on the tongue.

This is now my go to pizza beer, and now that victory is now in Maine It may be my go to brew for next summer. Extremely drinkable for anyone who was wondering

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance- Pours a slightly hazy bronze yellow color. Very little head and fairly apparent carbonation.

Smell- Very bready and yeasty in the nose, very distinctive pilsner here.

Taste- Definitly a hoppy pilsner, not overpoweringly so but its a large part of this beer. Slightly spicy but overall good balanced sour flavor.

Mouthfeel- Really fills out the palate well, lingers for ages.

Drinkability- Very high, this is one smooth beer!

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Slightly hazy yellow brew with a thin white head that leads traces of lacing down the glass.

S: Lemon peel, slight floral hop aroma. Also some subtle cereal grain.

T: Floral and sweet at the beginning before yielding to some delicious grapefruit hop taste that lingers nicely.

M: Crisp, clean, not too watery but not creamy. Very refreshing.

D: Great on this slightly warm day. I'll be looking for this some more in the summer. I could drink many of these. Perfect balance between flavor and drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Cold 12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottle reads "enjoy by Sep 29 08" (oops). Beer pours golden yellow, nearly clear, with a thin white foam on top. Aroma is mild and pleasant, hoppy, not at all skunky. Smells like a pilsner, I guess.

Taste is very refreshing, cool, not overly bitter, no dominant sugary flavors. Pleasantly sharp carbonation to go with the citrusy-lemon flavors.

Overall, a fine American pilsner style.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company