Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

Victory never lets you down as this beer pours a pale yellow with a great head that leaves a nice lave around the glass. Aroma is lemony with freshly cut grass and earthy hops. Taste is refreshing, crisp and clean; in a word: perfect. Taste is slightly citrusy and the hops really shine though, this beer is teaming with them giving the beer a nice dry characteristic. There a nice sweetness at the end as it goes down. Easily the best American pilsner I have had, something the boys back in the fatherland would love.

saintwarrick, Jul 17, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A-Pours a light yellow/gold with a small head that diminishes quickly and leaves a wispy thin slick on the beer. A steady stream of lace does dot the glass which helps things out.

S- a nice spict aroma permeates the nose. The malt provides a straw like base as well This is a very clean smelling beer.

T-Very crisp tasting beer. The hops are very strong here, a grassy, spicy noble taste. The bitterness cuts through everything here and leaves a nice bitterness behind. I would say the malt plays second fiddle here but as it warms the sweetness comes out more leaving a wonderful balance. I am also getting a little mineral taste as well.

M-Crisp, light body, great on a warm summer day.

D- This is hoppier than most pilseners and I generally dont get the noble hops in these quantities. This is however right up my alley. A very nice summer brew.

sleazo, Jul 17, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a clear straw yellow. An aggressive pour left me with a small white head but it didn't last very long.

Smell is of noble hops. This beer really exemplifies that classic pilsner aroma.

Taste is slighty sweet. There are grassy notes. Most flavors are light and delicate like a pilsner should be. Spicy hops show up in the end. This beer feels light and crisp on the palate. Very refreshing.

This beer is tasty and refreshing. It is my first experience with it but I can definitely see it becoming a warm weather regular in my fridge.

bozebus17, Jul 14, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a medium foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of hops, light malts and lager yeast and it’s very robust for the style.

T: The taste is starts out malty and sweet and then transitions into a little bit of fruitiness and a strong hops bitterness. There’s a very nice balance and the after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, I could see myself drinking quite a few of these over the course of an evening. I could also see myself choosing this beer to drink with a nice large meal. It’s a very good beer overall.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 12, 2007

Let me start by saying: I am not a pilsner guy. That said, I really like this beer. It was immediately impressive. Lots of flavor. If you don't like pilsners but want to try something new, start with this one. Everything about this beer is good. Could easily satisfy any hophead's craving for hops, while not scaring away even the most devout BMC drinker.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance - Clear golden straw in color. 2+ finger foamy head that left lots of lacing.

Smell - Grassy, floral, herby, and hoppy.

Taste - The slight sweetness from the malt comes in at the beginning and immediately takes a backseat to the lemony hops - like a very hoppy lager. Very crisp yet smooth.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and prickly from the fairly high carbonation level. Light bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability - Excellent - goes down smooth. With its low ABV it is easily sessionable.

People say it is great outside on a hot day, I would argue it is equally good indoors on a hot day with the A/C on full blast. Good anytime brew. Good job, Victory.

MiguelMandingo, Jul 10, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a pilsner glass on a hot summer day. Personally, not much of a pilsner fan in general.

A - Looks like a commercial (not a commercial beer, but like the beautiful shot that they set up in a studio.). Clear with 3 fingers of white heads leaves a little white lacing as it dissipates. Visible and active carbonation throughout.

S - Rich noble hops give it a clean, fresh hay-like character. Quite refreshing, dry scent.

T - Not my style of choice, but this is good. Very dry. Opens slightly sweet, but ends very dry with a fresh, noble hops flavor that reminds me of freshly cut grass.

M - Did I mention Dryness yet? It's got some active carbonation that makes it quite active as well.

D - A very nice beer, it's dryness may be a slight detriment to drinkability in some situations, but it's still quite enjoyable and quite drinkable.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. It probably won't become a session beer for me, but on a nice day in a hammock, I'd enjoy it. Something to judge quality Pilsners against.

AlephNull, Jul 08, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

I do enjoy a good Pilsner and this one is right in there with the better choices. It is a bright golden color with very active, medium sized carbonation. The head is modest but holds throughout with good lacing, very solid head. The aroma is pretty faint, just a bit of mild hops perhaps, not sure. The flavor is also very mild, not as definitive as say an Urquel or other European favorites. More of a wheat quality to the taste, a suggestion of lemon. No skunkiness here. Fairly light and crispy with a slightly creamy feel that delivers the flavor. Clearly a quality brew but I would prefer a little more flavor in this recipe to fully deliver. A fine choice for a refreshing beer, but I think you can find a few with more personality than this.

Durge, Jul 07, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC

A - A typical looking pilsener color, straw/piss/bud sort of color, but decent head that fades to some good lacing.

S - Very light malts, slightly pungent with some hop oils in the background.

T - Light tasting, but lots of hop character, slightly earthy, very good.

M - Maybe slightly over carbonated, the hops leave one's mouth very dry.

D - Easy to drink, goes down well, hops might make it fall slightly.

Who would have thought? A pils with hops? After I had this on tap I've picked up a six pack and I think I may drink it regularly.

theWrkncacnter, Jul 06, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

I got this in the Victory 12-pack, and was quite pleasantly surprised. I first had this poured into a regular pint glass on a muggy summer day and it was perfect. The beer came out pale, pale yellow with a small head that lasted the whole time, though it left no noticeable lacing. Mild is the best way to describe the smell, with light malt and grassy hops. It felt just like a pilsner, at least my idea of one, should feel, with prickling carbonation and refreshing crispness. All four of these from the 12-pack went down easily on a sweaty day, and in not much time. Prima is as classy as a pils gets.

robrobrob, Jul 06, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

I am not a big fan of Pilsner's, but I had to try this. Victory is by far my favorite micro brewer that has moved into SC since we popped the cap. A solid brewer!

A. Nice clear brew with a 2 finger head that dissipates slowly.

S. Nice malty hoppy balanced smell.

T. The smell follows through. This is a well balanced hop/malt pilsner.

D/ I have tried many Pilsners to see why I have been so down on this style. I must say this is hands down the best of the style. It beats Pilsner Urquel (the quintisential Pilsner) hands down. Still not an everyday style, but definitely a great example.

MarkSCCOT, Jul 03, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked up a growler for a visit to my parent's for dinner. It was gone before dinner was even started.

Pours a nice golden straw color. White head is nice for a bit. Lacing was minimal.

Aroma is of light malts and some fruity hops. Taste is real nice, malty and has a slightly bitter hop finish that the American macros would try to avoid I'm sure.

Light bodied and easily drinkable. I could have done the growler myself but my dad and bro would not have been happy.

ZimZamZoom, Jul 02, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle, poured into pint glass

A: Golden yellow with thick white head.

S: Noble hops, pleasant.

T: Saaz hops upfront with delicious bitterness. Robust for a pilsner, with German malts showing up as the beer warms.

M: Solid for a pilsner, dry, medium-bodied, not thin at all.

D: Exceptional, very easy drinking beer, with great taste, only drawback is the price, $8.59 for a sixer.

Halcyondays, Jul 02, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a typical but attractive clear yellow, not much head. Aroma is malty and pleasant, seems to have a peaty hint. Flavor is fuller than that of most pilsners I have tried - mainly malty, a hoppy hint and a suggestion of fruit flavor, maybe apple. Jazzier than the typical pilsner, not at all watery - savory and satisfying.

Cyberkedi, Jun 29, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

A – Beautiful light golden color.

S- Nice hoppy smell.

T- Very well balanced. Pilsner malt blends very nicely with the delicious hops. This is a delicious brew, and I love the burst of hop aroma and taste in it.

M- Smooth.

D- Very drinkable. I would have a hard time tiring of these, especially on a hot day.

kellyst, Jun 20, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at the map room.

Pours a sparkly champagney perfect golden with a sticky, foamy white head that sticks around for ages.

Smells of an absolutely perfect blend of flowery weedy malts--like you're rolling around in a ditch full of tall green grass and wildflowers--with an explosively dry hop. Yes, that's right: an explosion of dryness.

Starts off with an incredible sweet and drybitter smootheness that sinks gently into a weedy, flowery middle and ends with a strong punch of spicy and dry european hops.

Absolutely wonderful. The best pilsener in the world.

mynie, Jun 19, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Score one for the Americans...12 oz. bottle in a willibecker...Coors light pall with head that wavers slightly...still, opaque...malt is noticeable in that crisp, welcoming bite that only a good pilsner can deliver...I wonder if, like Brewery Ommegang, the Downington brewers didn't take a few notes from a European master...perfect for the oncoming summer...I'd score this higher, if only pilsners weren't so unimpressively colored or scented... I guess God can't imbue beauty on everything!

dacrza1, Jun 16, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

I think I probably don't appreciate this style quite as much as most ales, but with that in mind here are my thoughts on the a highly rated American Pils.

A- Pours a cloudy pale yellow, with a tint of aquamarine. Head is under a finger of small tight white bubbles that leave just a touch of lacing with each sip.

S- Lemony characteristics lie over a slightly spicy pale maltiness, reminscent of white wheat bread.

T- Bitter lemon and grapefruit balance out light bready flavor that I found to be somewhat weak.

M- The bitterness of this beer lingers in my mouth. It almost forces me to take another sip so that the sweeter taste of the initial burst will balance out this bitterness.

D- An ok pils but I'm craving something more flavorful, even with the lightness of a pils.

zdk9, Jun 15, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +1%

A - pours to a small white head atop a fully clear, straw-hued body. The head is fully diminishing and leaves no lacing.

S - really, quite delectable, unexpectedly for the style, for me. A heavy mlt attacks the nose first, then the light piney hops note lingers. And I'll be damned if there isn't a hint of soap in the mid sniff. Enticing.

T - what I imagine Pilsners should be. Starts with a light sweetness balancing the initial bitterness. Really, the perfectly lagered yeasts come to the forefront midway through this brew as well, and really show it's roots.

M - style on medium body that leaves you anting, without needing another.

D - if this is your style, this is one of the best, and at 5.3%, not a problem. No overly lengthy aftertaste to prevent the next sip from being wanted, just crisp and authentic for the style. I avoided this beer for a long time, knowing I was not a pilsner guy, but after this, I will add tasting upper end pilsners like this one to my agenda.

Bad me.

Cheers.

boelker62, Jun 14, 2007

Victory Prima Pils...

A: Pale straw with a nice white head. Disapates quickly, but leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Nothing really stands out. However, a nice balance between clean malt and hop aromas.

T: Really nice and clean. Great citrus hops up front and nice bitterness in the finish. Nicely balanced with malt.

M&D: Medium body and mouthfeel. Highly drinkable, especially in hot summer weather, which we still have in NC in mid-September (damn-it).

JBStith, Jun 12, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Light straw in color with a thick, creamy white head.

S: Big whiff of grassy, herbal hops. Some citrus zest is also very apparent. This is really hoppy.

T: Big flavors of grassy, herbal hops...just like the smell. Some light, biscuity malt sweetness is tasted by mid sip. Finishes clean, crisp, and dry. This one's all about the hops.

M: Light bodied and crisp. However, I would have preferred a slightly grainier feeling brew...more carbonation perhaps? I should stress SLIGHTLY grainier.

D: One of the best beers I've had. I'd like to pair this with a wide variety of foods. It's also excellent on its own, especially during a hot, humid day. Who would have thought a pilsener could have so much flavor? You'll be burping hops, but I suspect that's just what the brewer intended.

BassAssassin, Jun 11, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Straw color with creamy white head with perfect clarity. CO2 bubbles trickle up the sides of the glass for the entire length of time.

Fresh baked bread, lemon zest with some clove-like spices in the nose. Very pleasent.

Big malt character upfront with tons of biscuit and bread flavors. Grassy hop flavors round out the malt. Finishes spicy. Very flavorful.

One of the best Pilsners that have ever graced my tongue. Extremely drinkable and balanced.

bosco7, Jun 07, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

A-light yellow, loose bubbly head about 1 inch, falls quickly bur leaves a decent ring from the remaining lace.

S-clean fresh yeast and barley, a decenmt hop aroma.
T-Crisp, light malt followed by a significnat earthy hop bitterness that lingers quite long. nice suprise. bone dry finish

M- prickly, crisp, refreshing, light body, astringent.

D-Very good, nice summer deck beer. Or post lawn mowing beer.

jackorain, Jun 02, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a clear light yellow color with a huge white head that resists fading and leaves a nice amount of lacing.

The smell is that classic pungent pils with a bright lemon citrus aroma.

The mouth feel is immediately flushed from the carbonation an bright refreshing hop character.

The flavor is just as refreshing, mirrors the smell and is complemented by the feel. It's got a strong spicy flavor as well that lingers with the finish.

At 5.3% ABV this is a nice light summertime beverage.

jjayjaye, Jun 02, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Not sure what all the hype is about with this beer. With over 600 reviews and an average over "4", I am not sure what the deal is. This beer reminds me of when I was young, doing the dishes and and enjoying the spoils of what was left over. I feel the Pilsner style is weak, period.

A. Pale.
S. Stale.
T. See above.
M. Chalky
D. Weak.

FLAbeergutinMASS, May 26, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

I've had enough Prima Pils over the last several years to finally justify reviewing it.... or something like that....

Pours a clean, clear golden color with a bubbly two-finger head on top which sticks around for a while, but eventually subsides to a thin film over the top of the beer. No lace here to speak of. Smells clean and malty, like a proper German pilsner should, right? Right. You can tell just from smelling this puppy that you're not getting another macro-processed American pilsner-style lager. No corn in this guy. The malt is the dominant aroma here, but there are faint notes of cut grass and old shoe leather as well. Not much fruit that I can sense, although at times there are also faint lemony scents as well. The taste is malty goodness as well, but with a very pleasant hop kick in the finish. Very well balanced, with some subtle buttery flavor as well. And that mouthfeel? Smooth. Almost chewy, but clean and crisp all at the same time. A heckuva a pils for this side of the pond, no doubt. A proper year-round quaffable session beer. More, please.

Atlas1, May 22, 2007