Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros

Appearance: Poured a yellow color with a huge head that only shortly lived, but left a ton of lacing.

Smell: Hops and some grassy notes in the aroma, a bit of malt detected as well. Very clean smelling.

Taste: Herbal and floral hop flavors backed with some malt to help out. While these tastes are somewhat subdued, they are easily detectable and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Medium leaning towards thin in body, the malt gives the body here a bit more than I expected from a pilsener.

Drinkability: Sessionable.

Overall, while Pilseners aren't my favorite of beers, I can truly say I really enjoy this one. It has always been great on blistering hot summer days. Could also be a decent stepping stone for a macro drinker into the world of craft beer.

tattooedtolley, Sep 21, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Victory's Prima Pils is a rather distinctive cloudy straw yellow when poured and forms a white, almost fluffy head that stays around to the finish. Lacing was minimal. It's certainly an attractive looking beer. The mild floral nose is rather non-descript and belies a very well balanced flavor. Crisp, clean hop flavor is most immediate on the pallate, followed by bitter malt in equal measure. No one flavor outshines the other. It's just smooth. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, which is as much as can be expected of any pilsener. Overall it's a first rate brew, one of Victory's best, if not their best. A highly drinkable beer. Definitely recommended.

JWFokker, Sep 20, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a world class pilsener. Nothing fancy. no gimmicks, no extremism just a very well crafted beer using the highest quality ingredients. Those who fancy big beers and equate overpowering characteristics with quality will be unimpressed, but if you just want a great classic, traditional beer you should try this.

It's a clear, brilliant golden straw with a nice stiff , almost crusty head; thousands of tiny carbonation bubbles cling to glass then rise. The aroma is crisp, clean, citrus, fresh grain, grassy hops a bare hint of yeasty bread. The taste is malty, fresh bread, tangy hops with a perfect, clean bitter aftertaste. It's light bodied and well carbonated, just slightly astringent, both satisfying and crisp and refreshing. Could not be more drinkable. A world-class beer for those with a taste for the refined and balanced.

Deconstructionis, Sep 20, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

What a head on this one! I'd say it was about an inch thick ... creamy white and gorgeous! Body is straw colored and very inviting. Nose is lemony hops and fruit. Tastes much the same ... I really dig the fruitiness. Finish is dry. I can see myself buying this all the time even though I'm not a huge fan of the style ... this is damn tasty!

TheBungyo, Sep 18, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at 45 degrees.

Pours a dark golden with a medium head (.5-1 inches). Smells fruity and grassy. Taste definitely grew on me - at first, hoppy bitterness overwhelms you, but a flowery-fruit aftertaste came through after a few sips. The herbal hints balance out the hops very nicely and you have yourself a very nice brew. It is a very unique selection from Victory.

JohnnyM2002, Sep 18, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a pale yellow with a respectable white head and a little lacing. The aroma is comprised of fresh biscuit notes with a decent amount of European funkiness that is common with this style. A little spiciness and a hint of mint is there too.

The taste is pretty much your standard European Pilsner. Initially sweet with a dry bitter breadiness in the finish. Nice but unremarkable. Mouthfeel is kind of flat, but the drinkability is terrific. Very easy to drink. Exactly the type of beer I like to session.

Would've liked to see some more hopiness and I don't see why people think it's hoppier than other pilsners. That being said, I didn't brew it so I really can't complain. A very nice representation of a traditional German pilsner. This tastes almost exactly like Pilsner Urquell.

HossMcGraw, Sep 17, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer has a dull yellow color, a small head (white), and minimal lacing. Slight hops aroma, very average taste - like a slightly more crisp macro lager. Mouthfeel average, drinkability average/good Would not seek this one out. This is a very ordinary beer.

JayQue, Sep 16, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a deep yellow, with small orange highlights. Carbonation is world-class, and this is beyond beautiful in the Duvel tulip. Millions of steams of orchestrated strands glisten upwards, in definitive pace. With a large white head, that lasts and lasts.

Smell is light with plentiful layers of fruit. Cut fresh hay with a citrus zest, very light effervescent grape, and tangy melon.

Taste upfront has a blast of spicy wheat, and light hay. Delicious German malts. Grassy hops, with a tangy citrus twang take over soon after. Soon the citrus takes over leading way to another spicy semi-floral hop wave. This Pilsner is overall, a blast of flavors screaming for attention. Your palate better damn well listen! The Saaz hops work well with this Pilsner, creating such a beautiful blend of flavor.

I have to say, I love this brew. It's just incredibly solid, any way you look at it. Victory nailed the German Pilsner style here. Prosit!

HoustonTX, Sep 15, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance is light, clear, well carbonated, and has good head that could stick around a little longer. Smells good, with distinguishable grain, and Czech and German hops. Flavor is an excellent balance, hops are more prominent than a normal pils, which I appriciate. Light malt and grain are still noticible. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, close to perfect. I'm not a huge fan of the pilsner style, but this is one of the few I can drink a many of and I actually WANT to!!!

Pooba001, Sep 11, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date into a pilsner glass. Was a nice straw color with good head and carb. Had the typical pilsner smell and looked great but the taste was average for me. Finished a little too dry for my liking and was a little too hoppy. I'm new to the style so will try again as palate develops. (3,RB,ML,O)

TexIndy, Sep 09, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours very clear golden with a nice head, decent retension and some lace.

Smells of hay, hops, floral.

To me, the taste was unusual at first, not what I expected. It packs some flavor. Nice herbal hop fix with some malt to back it up.

Deffinitely quite drinkable. I enjoyed this beer. Recommended

nicefix, Sep 09, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Very clear and light straw color. Thin white head without any retention to speak of beyond a thin skin of tiny bubbles. Smells herbal and grassy with a whiff of alcohol. But maybe that was my breath.

Taste is a quick punch of mellow malt, spicy hops, bitterness and you're home. Suitably light. Not much carbonation in my bottle.

Bullseye. In a more pleasant alternate universe this is what we get when we open a can of macrobrew. Come back, summer. I want to drink more Prima Pils.

maundythirsty, Sep 08, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Prima Pils pours a nice clear gloden color, not too deeper than most macros that claim to be of the same style. Smell is hoppy with hints of a yeasty aroma. Taste is nice and light, but in a good way. There is a nice hop edge and sweet malty background that shows that despite the beers light color, it can still be quite flavorful. Nice hop flavor and aroma as well.

ericj551, Sep 08, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: A beautiful straw golden; Good sized white head with tiny bubbles.

Smell: Some noble hop aroma, very clean.

Taste: Slight citrus up front, tasty biterness in the end. Very well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Great body, very satisfying. Tiny bubbles play on the tounge.

Drinkability: This drinks like a perfect lager. Very clean, smooth and yummy.

psinderson, Sep 07, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Victory in Colorado! This has finally made it to the Colorado shelves.

Presentation: 12 oz longneck. Description of the beer, but no freshness info to be found.

Appearance: Light gold color with a nice frothy head. Fades to a thick lacing on the top and the sides.

Smell: Bready malt, a whiff of sulphur, and some noble hops.

Taste: Lots of noble hop flavor, with a good malt backbone. The hint of suplhur shows up here. Nicely balanced, leaning towards the hops.

Overall impression: Great pilsner - I am always excited to see a new craft pilsners on the shelf. Hopefully this one moves fast enough in Colorado to stay fresh.

rowew, Aug 30, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Prima Pils pours a clear light straw / golden color (kinda remind me of a piss color) with a thick white head. Little lace left, though, for a thick head.

Floral hops are strong in this one. Sourdough bread in the mix as well with just a hint of sweetness. Hoppy aroma for a pilsner, but I like it.

Taste runs along the same lines as the smell. Slightly bitter floral hops upfront with the sour, bready flavor in the middle. More hop bite at the finish. Very crisp. The sweet and sour mixes very well in the middle. Hoppier than others in this style that I have had. For a hop head that is a good thing though.

Crisp, clean, bubbly feel in the mouth. Leans more to the thin side. Very refreshing warm weather beer. Very easy to drink. I think I know what I will be getting more of for my Labor Day cookout. Another tasty brew from Victory.

Imstillthegman, Aug 25, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pils glass.

A-Very clear golden color.Huge head and lots of bubbles.

T-Sweet and stout,I couldnt taste the hops in it.

S-Sweet smell,I coulnt tell ya what kind of smells other then being sweet there are in it.

M-It attacks your palate,I think its a typical pilsner,much better then Budweiser.

D-Good "session" beer,as I drank more, it grew on me.I dont really care for many pils but I liked this one.It was a good change from other beers ive been consuming.I would have this again and I reccomend this to any beer drinker.Kudos to Victory!

MmmIPA, Aug 23, 2006

This beer has gone up in my estimation, so I've decided to review it again. It's simply the finest example of a Pils that I've come across. The edelhopfen aroma, taste, and prolonged bitterness are so heavenly. The incredible carbonation and refreshing character make it my warm weather beer of choice. I've had cases of this, and it's probably my favorite (easy) beer!

mjc410, Aug 22, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Clear golden with a foamy 1-finger snow-white head. Great retention, though not much lace. Lots of carbonation bubbles in this beer.

S: Abundant Czech & German hops give a nice floral aroma. Some malt balance, like sourdough bread.

T: Full flavors of hops and malt. Hops come across as herbal and grassy with a clean bitterness. Malt is bready and slightly sweet. Excellent flavors and fullness for the style.

M: Medium body with alot of lingering bitterness. Very crisp and clean. Mouthfeel is mostly dry, pleasantly smooth with a bit of creaminess.

D: Quite refreshing. Excellent summer beer, pilsner or otherwise.
Recommended.

msubulldog25, Aug 20, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Another beer from Baba Budan's in Cincinnati Ohio.

The beer pours a light yellow body with a white head that lastes for a decent amount of time but turns to a film across the top of the beer. The smell and taste are very hoppy giving it a floral taste and aroma. It's a light-medium bodied beer that finishes refreshingly dry and makes me wanting another one. This beer is one of my favorite pilsners out there. I mean it's the perfect hop head's lawn mowing beer. It's light in body dry and refreshing and hoppy as no other pils I have met as of this date.

cproioi, Aug 19, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured this 12 oz. into a pilsner glass. No date. Chill haze evident, Yellowy straw color. Minimal head, this may be an old bottle?

Smell was of sour/tart wet grains.

Taste was crisp and tangy with a sweet finish.

Mouthfeel was a raspy Saaz hop texture.

I did enjoy this one, I am a Pilsner fan. I do feel this one was past it's "prima". I look forward to giving this one another try.

Cresant, Aug 17, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

I've been looking for a good hoppy, bitter pils since returning from Germany and I've finally hit the jackpot! This one pourded a golden strawlike color with a nice bright white head and decent lacing. It has a nice strong hop aroma with some grassy undertones. The taste transported me back to Germany instantly. A nice strong bitter hop bite with an ever so slight malt sweetness and a tinge of grassiness. The finish was unbelievably crisp and biting. A perfect German style pilsner that I will definitely keep stocked until I return to Deutschland.

beerdrifter, Aug 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Light golden...super clear and clean...perfect head..

A lightly spicy aroma...

Taste has a spicy hop profile wit ha perfect grainy malt backing...

This is hopped up but well done...use of grains blends perfectly...

An american made pilsner that can match up with the best of the best pilsners..probably more asertive than most but very well done...great clarity and look.

ZAP, Aug 12, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Drinking this one a short time after the enjoy by date: 15Jul06. Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pour resulted in a nice white head that left a good amount of lace as I quaffed this one down. Prima Pils has a light golden hue with substantial carbonation.

This brew gives off a citrus-like hop scent with a bit of spicyness. Pilsner malt smell evident as well.

The taste is certainly bold for a Pilsener. Hop spicyness lingers after the swallow. Nice crisp finish. Malt definitely rides sidekick to the hops in this Pilsner, which I like a lot. Victory definitely stepped it up a notch with this one.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, with noticeable carbonation pricking the tongue throughout.

One could definitely rip back a few of these after a tough day at work and be better for it. Especially if you like a side of hops with your pilsner.

Louie1031, Aug 10, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From the bottle, this was a hazy straw with a disappointingly thin head and lots of carbonation. Fortunately, the bouquet and flavors were top-notch: lots of floral aromas in the nose and a buttery sweetness followed by a crisp, dry, and very bitter hop finish.

The bitter finish is almost too overwhelming, though I think it really only detracts from this brew in terms of drinkability. I don't know that I think this deserves the title of BA's best German pilsener, but it is quite tasty. A worthwhile summer brew.

benito, Aug 08, 2006