Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,822 | Reviews: 2,050

Bottle Inspection: Standard 12 oz brown bottle with a best by date of Jan 29 06

Aroma: Mineral aspect to a pretty straightforward light malt aroma. No hops noted

Appearance: Painfully clear almost watery yellow glass with diffuse carbonation streams feeding a white cover.

Flavor: Oh, there are the hops! German and/or noble hops, more of a bittering hop than a flavor hop, but appropriate to style. A hint of a citric rind deep in the flavor: maybe a bit of grapefruit rind, but not juicy, dried grapefruit rind. Funny how I got all malt in the nose and all hop in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, full, almost too firm carbonation, dry finish.

Overall Impression: A quality pilsner. In the style of Urquell but with a bit more assertive hop presence. For all the bitter, it doesn’t pucker. I think the carbonation is a touch high and the transparent appearance kind of throws me a bit, but a quality beer none the less. I can’t see this being a session beer; it’s scratching my beer itch pretty quickly.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Slightly cloudy...I thought pilseners should be clear? Aroma is very much of spicy hops and a little bit of malt sweetness. The flavor is very very hoppy...a spicy kind of hoppy. It's odd, because I bought this sixer a few weeks ago, and my first try of it was absolutely horrible. Just straight up completely and utterly stomach turning bitter. So I was pissed that I bought a bad batch and let the rest sit in the crisper. And I try one tonite, and it tastes tolerable. It's not great, still very bitter, but now it tastes like I thought it should. Who knows, my palate might have been retarded the last time. I find this beer pretty enjoyable now. A little too much bitterness for my liking though.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a tap into a pint glass at Vine Cottage in San Diego (La Mesa), Calif. Color was murky pale golden. Light head, maybe ¾ inches. Some lacing on the top that lasted throughout. Sporadic film on the sides.

Wasn’t too impressed with the smell. The first thing I thought was shoe polish. Had some light citrus and grassy notes, but nothing too inspiring.

Tasted kind of fruity up front. Lemon citrus hops came in right after, but grass tried to make its presence known. Little bitter on the finish.

Light body. Average carbonation. Refreshing and smooth.

An OK beer overall, but nothing I’d write home about. Maybe it was the setting, giving the other ratings, but I guess I’d have to give it another try.

3.42/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours a surprisingly hazy yellow. A one finger white head forms and leaves some light lace.
S: Citrus, pine, and grassy hops. A grain and cereal malt aroma.
T: Plenty of bitter hops for the style. Grapefruit, pine, grassy. Light malt, cereal, and grain for balance.
M/D: Light and watery. Very thin. Easy to drink, as a Pilsener should be. Though one is enough for me.

Not a bad beer at all, just not my favorite Pils. It is not one of those that I want to drink one after another. Which is what I pretty much judge the style by.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

A - Pours a bright golden colour with a white head that retains well.

S - A little hop and grain.

T - A nice clean grain flavour with a nice hop bitterness that is well complimented by some residual sweetness.

M - Light body and medium carbonation.

O - A decent pilsner and well worth a try.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a straw yellow straw amber with a big white head. Malts are bready to some extent. Hops help this brew quite a bit. A hunk of bitter helps out a pilsner out. Malts balance the smalllish hops quite well. I'm not big on lagers, but this is one of the better lagers I've had. Ya can't touch this! Break it down. Stop, Hammer time!

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Little to no head. Golden, cloudy color.

S- Wheaty and golden malts. Quite nice smell.

T- Strange taste, wheat and bready flavors. Not what I was expecting. Bitter and some hoppiness to it. How peculiar.

M- Lighter body and decent carbonation.

O- This beer comes together nicely. The individual parts however are not so great apart.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

I smelled it and got nothing but cheddar cheese popcorn, I wonder if the line was dirty because the last time I had it in bottle I truly enjoyed it.

After getting over the cheddar cheese nose I started to really appreciate the beer, it is a nice clean pilsner. Smells like pilsner malt, noble hops. Nice and crisp

Tastes nice, very clean beer accentuating the czech Saaz and pilsner malts. Not very complex but I love it as a nice session-able lager.

Great mouthfeel, nice and creamy. Crisp earthy finish.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

On tap at Mackenzies in Minneapolis. Served in a pint glass.

A - Clear pale yellow color with excellent carbonation. Nice white head and very good lacing.

S - Grassy smell with some floral hop aroma as well.

T - Spicy hops with a little sweetness on the backend. Seemed a little off on the balance to me.

M/D - Very smooth and crisp with excellent carbonation. A very drinkable pilsner.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Not sure what all the hype is about with this beer. With over 600 reviews and an average over "4", I am not sure what the deal is. This beer reminds me of when I was young, doing the dishes and and enjoying the spoils of what was left over. I feel the Pilsner style is weak, period.

A. Pale.
S. Stale.
T. See above.
M. Chalky
D. Weak.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

A bright golden beer with a lot of carbonation and a creamy head.

Smell is hoppy with resinous and earthy notes. There is a good malt backbone which is also a bit husky. The yeast adds a light sulfuric touch.

Taste of hops that are resinous and raw and make an European impression. The malt is present and is balancing the hops. The sulfuric notes I smelled are not coming back in the taste. Mouthfeel is slightly sticky. Body is light and aftertaste is dry and bitter. For a German pilsener this is a good attempt, but misses the fullness of it.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Crystal clear light gold with white head that left a little lacing...a ton of carbonation...bubbles never stopped...
Aroma was better than most pilsners but not overpowering...hinted of citrus/and earthy hops...
Taste was more of the hops but not crazy...and there was more bitterness than I wanted...
Mouthfeel was averagely thin...
It did go down smooth...
Maybe I expected more from Victory...but I have had better pils...this was OK

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Poured light golden color with a nice head on it. It was rather cloudy though.

S - Light crisp with the czech hops barley comeing through

T - Has a light citryusy taste from the hops, but other than that the malt is very light. Barely any real strong decisive flavor at all.

M - Light bodied. little carbination to disturb the palette.

D - Definitley a session beer for anytime of the year.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste like a lighter iron maiden trooper.

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%

On-tap at Ginger Man NY served in a pint glass.

A: Fine white 1 finger head with outstanding retention. Brew itself is light orange/yellow. Lacing is magnificent for a beer with such light body... its almost frothy in appearance.

S: Nose is fresh citrus, grass, and pine with a slight hint of hop bitterness.

T: Begins with light hops and transitions towards the middle into a fresh citrus. Finish is bitter... not hop bitter, but a lingering, biting bitterness.

M: Light bodied and coarse. Finishes clean but bitter aftertaste really sticks in the mouth.

D: Highly drinkable but the aftertaste again really kills this beer. It builds and builds but never seems to fade and makes each subsequent sip more and more intensly bitter.

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%

Judging from the high ratings and increasing popularity in "Imperial" and Belgian styles, we Americans validate a good beer by its specific gravity and ABV content. Not me.

I'm looking for an Old World (read German/Czech) pilsner. While a good, fortifying drink, Prima Pils does not come close to being a true Pilsner. It's more American ale than even a lager, let alone a pilsner.

This beer's potential is most likely in its water, as PA is founded on limestone, like northern Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. However, Prima's yeast does not convince me that this drink is bottom fermented. Nor does the thick yellow color convince me that this is a pilsner: it's too malty; it's too strong.

It's a good drink, but it's not subtle and refined like a true Pilsner.

Someday, an American pilsner will come; it's not here yet.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear light yellow with a decent frothy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is light grains and noble hops. It's clean, but not too exciting.

The flavor is slightly sweet, grainy malts with a good sized noble hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium, with a good level of carbonation.

Overall, a very well made, bold pilsner. I'm not a huge fan of the style though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is very clean and pretty muted. Typical pilsner hop presence.

Very golden pour...thin head with pretty decent retention.

Taste has a tart, biscuity flavor on the body with a pretty high level of bitterness for style. The bitterness only intensifies during the swallow, which makes this a pretty hoppy brew for a pilsner. The hops linger for a while after the swallow with a aspirin bitterness.

The bitterness is a bit much for me for this style, although I like the flavor on the body quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'd reach for this one when I'm in the mood for a pils, but it's certainly decent.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured into a flute from a 12oz bottle.

A - Yellow and murky with a very small head. that recedes to a few mere bubbles on the glass. No Lacing.

S - Lemons a strong, small scent of hops, but a little more sweet smelling than bitter. Sourness.

T - Kinda of flat actually. Not a lot of flavor that I can detect. Hoppy bitterness can be tasted, and a little oakiness. Not a lot more to it.

M - Well carbonated, leaves the mouth feeling crisp and clean.

D - Average drinkability. Not a great beer, not a terrible beer, just ok for me.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the 12oz. brown bottle into a pilsner glass the beer was a straw, full golden yellow color. Streams of carbonation ran up the sides of the glass and two fingers of pure white head formed atop the beer.

The smell is a mild hoppiness with floral undertones and a spiciness in the background. Slightly grainy as well.

Taste has an innitial hop character that creates a mild but not over powering bitterness. Some floral esters come through as well and a slightly grainy after taste. A slight malt profile, but the hops win the battle in the end yet still are not too strong.

A light body with high carbonations and a crisp finish.

A good pilsner although I find it a little bland. A little more showing from the hops would have convinced me more. A good selection to pair with lighter dishes, seafood, or pasta. For a domestic example, I prefer Brooklyn Pils over this.

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Bone white head over a clear yellow body.
Aroma is of earthy and spicy noble hops, but there is something odd going on. kinda musty and smells like spring yardwork, kinda odd im getting that in here, but the bottle is well within freshness dates.
Flavors are crisp and bright and have lemon over toasted wheat followed by the spicy hops.
Moderate body and enjoyable all around, will probally only buy this in the summer.

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz brown bottle with pry off cap. Date stamped best before 17 July 2011. Poured in a pilsner glass.

White head is 1/8 of an inch on the pour and recedes to a thin ring around the edge with a couple of islands. Thin lines of lacing here and there.

Aroma is all citrus hops with a little biscuit in the background. A little different for a german pilsner.

Taste is all citrus hops. Tastes like a pale ale. Little bit of biscuit and malt in the background.

Very smooth and light mouthfeel. Tiny pin prick carbonation is light to moderate.

Not sure what to make of this as it really doesn't remind me of a german pilsner, but it is interesting. A good beer for a hop head, but if you're a pilsner fan, this may not be up your alley.

3.37/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Light yellowish gold, 2 finger head

Smell: almost lemony citrus, its also pretty sweet, but its kind of faint

Taste: it has a soft bitterness followed by your creamier citrus with some floral qualities

Mouthfeel: its light, still softly bitter, not too bad of an aftertaste. After a while you kinda get the aftertaste of cheddar cheese in your mouth (not necessarily a bad thing)

Drinkability: Not much to say about this, its light, citrusy, and bitter, if you're a fan of those qualities you'll be all over this one. I like beers that have a little more malty flavor which this doesn't provide, but its not bad. It'd be good with a lighter but spicy meal and maybe cheddar cheese.

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%

Draught version

Clear golden color with really decent and unexpected lacing all over the glass.

Smells of spicy grainy biscuit malt.

Flavor is mainly biscuit grainy malt with some earthy hop bitterness.

Noticed the flavor seemed muddy as it warmed. One of my favorite Pils, but I do prefer the bottles to this draught- would like to try a fresher tap though.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Best by date says April 26, 2010, but I'm hoping I get lucky since the bottle was in a box up until now!

Pours a transparent golden hue the color of straw. A big whitish head that quickly recedes into nothingness. Lots of little bubbles running up from the bottom of the glass. Smell is big and aggressive out of the bottle, with lots of malts and grains and citrus notes. Nothing I haven't smelled before, but it's well-done.

Big bitter hop bite to start off that stays prevalent throughout the entire time its in your mouth. Follows up with some maltiness and some substantial floral flavoring that lingers into the aftertaste. Just lots of hoppy bitterness all around. Unexpected, and I hope it's not because the beer is past the date. Mouthfeel is only average, with a lot of carbonation and a lightish body. Finish is quite dry.

Drinkability is average. With how bitter and bracing it is, I don't know if I could have had another one. I'm really hoping that the bottle I had was just a bad one. Will have to see if I can find one that's within the freshness date. As it stands, a decent pilsner with an interesting floral taste, but a very bitter character.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company