2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Prima PilsPrima Pils

Reviews: 1942

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,853 | Reviews: 1,942 | Show All Ratings:
Scoats

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm not a fan of Czech style pilsners. Yeah I know it's "the best beer in the world!" and everything but the true to style finishing taste just doesn't do it for me.

That being said, I really, really like this beer. Prima Pils is a very traditional pilsner in every way (yellow filtered body, big white head, and dry, dry, dry) until it gets to the very final taste where it gets "wet" and flowerly, if that makes sense.

01-07-2003 06:32:17 | More by Scoats
HopDevil

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Victory Prima Pils is the very definition of crisp and dry, and, if you look in the dictionary under refreshing, don't be surprised if they show a bottle of this beer as an example.

The cloud of hop aroma that wafts into the nostrils upon opening a bottle of Prima Pils announces that this is definitely not your customary Pils and accurately predicts the flavor that follows. While some yeast nose is evident, the clean fresh herbal hop aroma overwhelms the malt but what a heavenly odor to a hophead like myself.

A mountain of firm antique white lather piled up on the pale gold colored beer as I carefully poured the Prima into my pilsner glass. The lovely head was long lasting and left a patchy, frothy lace on the glass as it stubbornly receded. Prima in the glass is brilliant and clear of any chill haze. Effervescent bubbles were seen visibly drifting slowly up into the foamy cloud above.

The taste was predominately hops - herbal with a hint of grassiness. Prima rewards you with a satisfying hop flavor without succumbing to bitterness. Yes, Definitely noble hops and totally mouthwatering! Further along the taste buds I detected a very slight astringent or husky graininess with only a ghost of residual malt sweetness (my sweet receptor taste buds may have long since been burned away however) with no fruity esters, diacetyl or citrus notes in evidence. The after taste is hop heaven, dry and very enjoyable. This is a beer that is an excellent compliment to most meals but may tend to dominate delicate flavored dishes.

Prima Pils is a beer I savored and enjoyed very much and I predict that in future I will often have a glass of it's hopy fragrance and golden color in my hand. Like they say " A victory for your taste"
if you have a taste for hops that is.

01-04-2003 14:12:58 | More by HopDevil
Gusler

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

How lucky you East coast “Beer Doyen’s” are to have access to this fine breweries line of beers, where I the “Poor Wretched Soul” that I am, must rely upon the good nature of fellow beer lovers to acquire these beers from time to time. Also as much as I rant and rave about the “Poor” Lagers/Pils, must admit this is a beer to admire.

The archetypal pilsner color, a crystalline gold color, the head dazzling white, modest in size, creamy in its texture, the left over lace a delicate glass covering sheet. Lemon Lime fresh and crisp is the nose, dominated by the malts, quite a pleasure to sniff. Malt start, somewhat sweet, skinny at the top, finish delightful in its hop spicy crispness, spitefully acidic, dry and lingering aftertaste and a true joy to quaff.

12-23-2002 16:49:53 | More by Gusler
MJR

Missouri

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours crystal clear, pale gold with a HUGE head...I had to fight to keep it in the glass! The head turns lumpy and marshmello-like after a minute or two. Lots of little carbonation bubbles constantly fight their way to the top.

Smell: Aroma of fresh Saaz hops. I've heard their smell described as 'sea air.' Sounds about right... Very light grassy, earthy aroma as well. Great nose on this brew!

Taste: Starts off with a strong bitter, hoppy note that never goes away. Faint taste of a grassy, earthy character, with a bit of floral spiciness. I'm not usually a Pilsner kinda' guy, but this beer is fantastic!

Mouthfeel: Light, dry, and crisp. Goes down supernaturally smooth.

Drinkability: Outstanding. This beer is far from being one of my favorite styles, but this one is incredible. I could drink these all night on my deck on a hot summer night.

12-12-2002 11:56:58 | More by MJR
mzwolinski

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Crystal clear, light gold in color, with heavy carbonation and a thin, foamy head. Husky malt aroma with floral hoppy notes. The hops really come through in the taste, though. This is the first beer I've had where I've really understood the "fresh grass" description of hop aroma. The Saaz hops used here have a very huge herbal, flowery taste to them. The German pilsner malt is also quite heavy, making this beer fairly full-bodied and chewy, especially for the style. Finishes dry, and leaves you with an aftertaste where the hops finally start to show their bitter/spicy side -- a very nice compliment to the lingering sweetness of the malt. A very aggressive and pleasant interpretation of a distinctively *European* Pilsner. It would be very easy to drink a lot of these in a row. Thanks to Nerofiddled for the trade

12-05-2002 16:23:57 | More by mzwolinski
feloniousmonk

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Huge, lacey, white head, sparkling foam.
Aroma has citrus notes, lemon zest, flowers, and pineapple.
Delightfully light texture, long, welcome finish. Truly this must be the thinking man's "lawnmower beer". Possesses a certain zing that reminds me somehow of Duvel. I'm normally an ale man, but I would never pass up on
this pilsner. Are the fine folks of Downington, PA aware that among their modest ranks walk these brewing gods disguised as mortals?

12-03-2002 14:01:09 | More by feloniousmonk
MaineBeerMan

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Pale gold in color with a big head of pure white foam, seemed maybe a little too foamy, as I had to stop pouring and wait for the head to settle a bit before finishing the pour, even with a 16 oz. glass and an easy pour with a well chilled bottle.
The smell was rich in flowery, herbal hops, with some sweet breadlike malt in the background.
Medium bodied with a good bit of tingly carbonation, typical Pilsener sweetness at first, then the hops take over with a vengeance. Hop character is very herbal/flowery before a drying bitterness on the finish. Not much in the way of malt flavor, just enough to know it's in there, the hops are king in this brew.
Overall quite a drinkable beer, tastes like a European pils, with an American IPA hoppiness.

11-30-2002 21:06:23 | More by MaineBeerMan
SchmichaelJ

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Perhaps I was a bit overzealous to taste this one...my first attempt to drink and review ended with my underestimating the Prima's carbonation. Despite my attempts at a nice pour, half of the bottle shot from the glass and ended up in my lap. My second attempt at pouring was much more successful. It yielded a cloudy, hazy appearance with a light golden color. An excellent head formed (1/2-inch or so), with very nice retention. A luxuriant hop aroma was apparent, as well as a faint maltiness. The pronounced hop bitterness attacked my tongue first, followed by a nice malt foundation. I was really pleased by the taste and excellent overall pilsener characteristics. The Pils has a very full and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and the fizziness seemed to magnify in my mouth. This filling carbonation made me want to wait a little while longer between beers, but the Pils remains a very drinkable, enjoyable lager.

11-27-2002 17:53:24 | More by SchmichaelJ
maxpower

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is my kind of pills, golden color , nice foamy white head, leaves a lace in my glass, hoppy aroma for a pils, balanced flavors in this nectar , it has a very tasty hop bite and finishes dry.

11-23-2002 12:45:49 | More by maxpower
AaronRed

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

I poured this into a nice pilsner glass and it looked great. Straw yellow and clear with a nice rocky white heat on top. It has a very clean smell- a little hoppy. But this beer is all about the taste. Crisp and flavorful, I kept thinking I was drinking a German or Czech. beer. Wonderful bitterness at first, but mellows nicely. Overall a supreme drinking beer.

11-21-2002 19:02:56 | More by AaronRed
Suds

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow. I guess that I didn't have high expectations, but this is an extraordinarily good beer. Golden-straw colored with a puffy white head...the aroma is slightly herbal and resinous. The taste is incredible. I think it's the hoppiness that did it for me....a big hop bitterness and a dry finish seem to come out of nowhere. This isn't my style, but the beer is fantastic.

11-18-2002 18:23:16 | More by Suds
rotsaruch

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

An almost clear golden color with a white, creamy head that holds up fairly well. The hops aroma is very noticable, but not overwhelming with a faint spicy character. It has distinctive refreshing and crisp taste. The hop flavor is plentiful and pleasing with a malty presense in the background. The finish is big and hoppy, satisfying beyond belief on the hottest summer day. An impressive German-style pilsner.

11-18-2002 16:53:45 | More by rotsaruch
Jason

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Bight pale yellowish golden colour with a very active carbonation that hold the near perfect lace together.

Very expressive in the hop department with herbal and spicy aromas and flavours that solidly dominate the senses but not to the point of being overwhelming. Touch of biscuity doughy maltiness within, very clean with a dry long lasting hoppy finish.

Perfect with some spicy homemade sausage at Redbones. If you like your pils with more than enough hops this is the one.

11-11-2002 14:37:45 | More by Jason
Todd

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Had this on-tap @ Redbones. Presented as a crystal clear, pale golden beer with a wicked tight white cream head with plenty of lace stick.

Aroma was a hop attack on the nose ... quite spicy, herbal and perfume-like.

Hops! All hops. A dry beer with an amazing hop character that's spicy, prickly to the palate with loads of earthy herbal characters. Malts are bready and subdued by the strong hop presence. Thin tropical fruitiness and a sweet tea-like backbone. Dry grain finish.

More hops than your average pils, but that was the point and the wonderful thing about the art of brewing ... you don't always have to follow style to make a good beer. Personally, I loved the defining over-the-top hop character. Without it ... it might just be any old pils.

Paired nicely with homemade sausages, catfish fingers and greens.

11-11-2002 05:26:34 | More by Todd
aaronh

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very strong hops aroma with a hint of pine as I was pouring the beer. Very interesting. This is a pal golden beer that pours with a very nice head that lasts well and leaves a nice lace. The aroma is spicy hops, with a hint of something that I can only call a pine-like smell for lack of better terminology. The mouthfeel is very full bodied and silky. It has a nice hops kick in the aftertaste, but the malt is very present in the mouth. This may be my favorite lager(Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is close). A little aggressive on the hops for the style perhaps, but it works very well. Might not a good "crossover' beer for macro friends, but a fine beer indeed. After a few drinks, this one started to disappear quickly. And I like to savor my beers! Glad I have six of them. I've yet to be disappointed in Victory.

10-25-2002 18:46:43 | More by aaronh
allboutbierge

Austria

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

A friend who works at West Virginia Brewery recommended that I really check out everything Victory has to offer about six months ago when i started getting into beer, real beer that is. I finally bought some Prima Pils and am glad I waited so long to get it; it allowed me to learn some properties to look for in a beer. The color is a very slightly cloudish light light golden yellow and the lace it leaves on my pint glass is heavy. Head was light to non exsistant and first impression of taste of pretty bitter but bitter in the way a grapefruit is-having some sweetness properties deep down in its flavor. There is a hopiness taste also to it, but of far less stregnth than the bitterness or the hidden sweetness. The carbonation is light/medium and the lack of weight of a pilsner leaves a good mouthfeel. Only detraction from this beer is that it's too bitter to drink a bunch of, but in respect to one of the nations foremost microbrewers you probably shouldnt do that anyways. (not to mention your wallet)

10-16-2002 13:45:23 | More by allboutbierge
boblinneman

A hopheads pils. This beer will hook you and not let go. Very suprising how dry and hoppy. Definitely will change the way you look at a pils. I'm not sure if this beer is true to its form (everything is but quite hoppy), but who cares its great. Victory has an ongoing series of single hop pils, all great but different.

09-30-2002 09:59:16 | More by boblinneman
Riggo

Oklahoma

4.7/5  rDev +16%

Hazy golden yellow color with a white, luscious, creamy head. Good head retention. The bouquet bursts forth with floral hops bringing to mind fresh mown grass, mint, pine, lemon, yeast. A powerful and exciting nose. The taste is very dry and hoppy with lemony, grassy, and spicy notes and, no kidding, bubblegum. Great, soft mouthfeel; an unusually substantial body for a pils. This, along with the very heavy hops, makes this pils drink more like an ale of sorts.

This is definitely not a beer for the uninitiated. The dryness of the hops is very intense but blends beautifully with the whole refreshing, grassy, floral thing rather than just coming off as an astringent afternote. I love this beer and I think it is one of the supreme brewing accomplishments in this country.

09-10-2002 17:52:19 | More by Riggo
BeerManDan

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

The color was a pale yellow with very little foam and a medium amount of lace of the side of the glass. The smell or malts and hops have a pleasant aroma. The taste of malts and hops were a sort on the bitter side. Flavor wise, it was lacking the flavor I was expecting from a Victory Ale. Just a tad to bitter for my taste!

09-04-2002 15:56:27 | More by BeerManDan
IrishRedRock

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

I was told not to try this beer, as two of my fellow beer lovers hated it. So for this reason alone I had to try it. The smell upon cracking open the bottle was quite harsh...overpowering actually. I thought the taste would be similar but the bitterness I expected was not there. Extremely hoppy with a spicy bite both initially and in the aftertaste, but this is quite tasty. Very different from any other Pils I have tasted, and well worth it for its unique qualities.

08-22-2002 19:30:47 | More by IrishRedRock
jackndan

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Prima Pils: from Victory, strong aroma of hops assaults the nose as soon as it hits the glass. Huge head, in fact I think we might have a winner in the on-going quest from height above the rim: two full inches! The beer itself is extremely hoppy, with pine flavors after the initial bite. Light in body, with a nice refreshing clean finish. Very nice.

08-20-2002 19:36:05 | More by jackndan
NeroFiddled

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Slightly hazy, bright golden color with a soft, creamy head that holds up fairly well. The aroma is intensely hoppy - bright and fresh - with a grassy and somewhat spicy character. A crisp carbonation and medium body join to create a full mouthfeel. The flavor is bold: Generously malty, but then it needs to be, to support the mouth-watering and solid hop flavor. Quite aggressive. The finish is big and hoppy, leaving a resiny dryness. A bold German-style pilsner, not so much seductive as it is dominating.

08-11-2002 12:08:32 | More by NeroFiddled
Jon

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

This one pours a golden color with a solid head and some really nice lace. The smell is somewhat grassy. This tastes great. Big hop flavor for the style, which as a hop head, I love. Prima Pils is certainly an easy drinking beer, but probably not for the faint of heart. It's easily the best pilsner I've ever sampled and is another winner from Victory. As one who generally doesn't enjoy this style, I'm impressed.

08-10-2002 22:06:43 | More by Jon
Wildman

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Okay, this beer poured a dark yellow color and formed a white bubbley head that left some nice lace. The aroma, well, let's just say the hops exploded in my olfactory area. There was also some grassy, earthy elements. The flavor, once again, was most definately hops. Also present was malt and citrus. The finish was fairly dry. One of the best pils I have had, but I admit to not being a big fan of the style.

07-30-2002 18:11:42 | More by Wildman
Thrasher

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pleasing pale yellow with sticky head, wonderful hoppy scent. The malts are so mild, they are hardly even there. Just a faint wisp at the bottom of the flavor. Hops are the crux of this beer; incredibly floral with hints of grass, ending with a resoundingly bitter finish. Hopheads should be in paradise, and this is indeed a tasty, appetizing beer... but to my tastes it's a bit too much with the hops, ends up being very American (in the distinctive Cascade/Sierra piney hop way), and the bitterness just borders on the abrasive. Not quite balanced. I would kick up the malt a notch and make the hops less floral and more towards grass/dried hay. The water is a bit hard too, I wonder if they could make it a little creamier. For a truly exceptional American pilsner, my vote's with Brooklyn.

07-25-2002 14:54:45 | More by Thrasher