Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,823 | Reviews: 2,050
4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Took me a while to get a glass of this whilst I was sitting in front of the computer. Although I first had it two summers ago, when i was convinced our softball team would win more games if we drank more Victory beer--hey I did my part, the others for some reason preferred swill.

On to the review...
The beer pours a straw color with a fluffy white head about an inch thick. Head disippates quickly but there is still a white film atop the brew.

Aroma is strong of the Saaz, with a crisp pilsner malt background.

Taste is definitely highlighted by the spiciness of the Saaz hops. Bitterness is there, but there is a malty sweetness present in the aftertaste that's also dominated by Saaz. Very high hop flavor for a pilsner...other brewers should take not. Also taste hints of honey breaking through the malt and hops.

The beer is crisp and light in body. Alcohol is not at all present in the flavor (and it shouldn't be to my tastes for a pilsner).

Goes down easy...begs you to have another. Six-pack would be perfect on a good relaxing friday evening.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

White head sits atop this clear, pale golden beer.
Hoppy aroma of mostly grassy hops with some earthiness as well. Nice lagered malt aroma as well.

Taste shows a nicely balanced beer with a solid hop presence. Hops are mostly grassy with just a touch of earthiness. Solid pilsner malt backbone that isn't overly grainy. Crisp and refreshing, but flavorful as well. Finish leaves you wanting more.

Good body to the mouthfeel.
Very drinkable and enjoyable.

Overall, this is easily one of the best pilsners I've tried. Future consumption will most definitely be sought out. Huge thanks to OldFrothingSlosh for dragging this one to Ohio for me!

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color with an initial one inch light white head which dissipated quickly to a thin layer of foam.

Smell: Slightly grassy, hoppy aroma which gets more complex and pronounced as it warms.

Taste: Moderately high hop bitterness that lingers straight through to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, crisp and dry. CO2 level is good. Lingering bitter aftertaste.

D&N: Yum. PA micros rule my world. This is a beer to make men weep.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Crystal clear golden color with a puffy white head.

Aroma: Mouthwatering smell of noble hops lending a fresh herbal profile with some malt.

Taste: Great use of hops, good bitterness and fantastic hop flavor, with herbal/flower and citrus notes. Very understated malt character is there, but easy to miss.

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing.

Overall: Fantastic European-style pilsner, a great lager for hop lovers. Easy to enjoy, will make a great summertime beer.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Smoky pastel yellow under sticky white pillows of foam.
Saaz nose. Grassy, Nuff said. Well, not quite. Some lemongrass pokes through too.
Begins with a cracker dry malt base. Migrates towards a fuller and denser white bread expression. Hops enter. And how! Lemon peels and wilted flowers and brown grass.
That's it. But that's enough.
Medium-leaning bodied.
Quaffable in any sum. 6...12...24...
Super fresh or draft renditions of this must be life-altering.

Big ups to Bighuge.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer poured crystal clear pale yellow. The head was white and lasting to lace the glass.

The aroma was malty with a slight noble hop aroma.

The flavor was crisp, malty and hoppy, but not overly so. The flavor of the hops was a little grassy.

The finish was dry and just slightly bitter. The body was medium.

12 ounce bottle. Feb 29 04 enjoy by date.

I've had the beer on tap and always thought it to be more bitter, but definitely a fine drinking pils.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance - A golden color with a good, white head on top. Left a lot of lacing in the glass.

Smell - I was really blown away by this at first because it was so unusual. My first smell reminded me of freshly cut grass. Then I noticed a tad of a hop scent, but the grassy notes were very strong. Some graininess in there, too. An odd combo...well, at least one I have yet to sample.

Taste - Took me a few sips to get what was in this. I detect hops, but with a maltiness and some sort of foliage type taste in there. The grassy-like taste came through more as it warmed. Very new flavor combos for me. Pretty cool stuff.

Mouthfeel - This is a bitey beer at first. Feels strong as it clings to the tongue. The sips get easier and easier as time goes on, but is a kick upon first entry.

Drinkability - This was an odd flavor at first, but I did pour another right after finishing the first. The combination of flavors was very interesting, and warranted more attention. Low alcohol in this one, so can be consumed rather easily. I'd reccommend it for a new Pils experience.

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

I enjoyed a few of these at the BA rally at Victory.
This is a rare and special version of their popular pilsner. It is unfiltered and poured a light and golden straw yellow. It had a touch of murkiness, but retained some of the bright translucency of the regular Prima. White and cream-like head topped this beer off. Beautifully soft and sweet citrus and floral hop aroma. This version loses some of that sharp hop crispness that I’m familiar with, but the softer hop presence just seems perfect for this beer. Soft maltiness and ultra smooth on the tongue. Mein Gott! I am a huge fan of regular Prima, and this version really takes the gloves off – as if to say “I dare you to try and make something this good!”

A wonderful beer on all counts.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a golden, hazy liquid with a big white fluffy head. Nice lacing on the glass throughout. Smells a little grassy and herbal. Taste is a slight sweet taste followed by a nice flowery hop finish. Good level of carbonation. Mouthfeel was fairly thin, which is good for the style. I found this to be pretty darn drinkable. I am surprised as pilserners are not a style I like a whole lot, but I found this refreshing and tasty. After a long winter with big, heavy beers, this was a nice change.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Prima Pils was served from a 12oz. bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a hazy straw-yellow color and was topped by a large rocky white head that left wonderful rough sticky tendrils of lacing. The nose was quite lively, consisting of a robustly aromatic orange tinged hop bouquet and a subtle yeastiness. The taste was refreshing, crisp, and bold. The firm bready grassy dry malt base was accented with bitter orange-lemon notes. It finished with a zippy dry orange peel bitterness, with very nice lingering qualities. The body was appropriately firm and carbonated to match the flavor profile. Conclusion: An excellent, nicely hopped pilsner that should please those who normally drink bigger/full-flavored beers. One of my favorite examples of the style.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In the interest of full disclosure, I should state for the record that this is not my favorite style of beer -- so my review should take that into consideration. I liked the appearance more than many Pilseners. An even, full yellow -- hinting toward the dark side -- with a smallish white head that pretty much disappears shortly after the pour. The aroma is a bit malty-er than a standard pils -- but it still hit my nose with that wet grassy smell that I'm not overly fond of. It had a nice, but not big, mouthfeel, and a slightly sweet taste, mildly carbonated, with little or no aftertaste. For me, this is one of the better of this style -- just not my thing. Easy drinking, though -- it would be a good session beer on a warm summer day.

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

Lucid lemon yellow that isn't quite dark enough to be considered gold or amber. The lid is a shade darker than cumulus cloud white and is soft and fluffy. The foam persists for a while and leaves a small-moderate amount of lace in fat, broken rings. The nose is wonderful: all soft lemony hops with just a hint of earthiness.

Prima Pils is hugely impressive beer and I'm not a big pilsener fan. Hops are dominant, with that same lemon zesty, grassy character that is noted in the nose. This beer is beautifully hopped! It has just the right combination of citrusy flavor and hop bitterness to go along with a fuller than normal body (for the style) and a crisp, drying finish. Another solid beer from Victory.

Prima Pils is, without question, the single best German (American) pilsener that I've ever had. It would be enjoyable at any time of the year, but would be even better, no doubt, on a scorching summer day. Too bad it isn't available around here because I'd never be without it.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

I remember the first time I ever heard of Victory, freshman year in college, the guy who I was talking to was drinking a Prima Pils. I remember because of the spiffy looking green label with a big yellow hop nugget on the front. Foreshadowing is what I think they call that.

The beer itself is a pilsner with some balls. It has a good malt flavor, robust for a pilsner, but nothing too exceptional. The smell is where you'll learn what this beer is winding up to throw at you. Spicy hops abound in smell and taste. The sharpness cuts through the smooth malt and prickles the tounge. Other herbal flavors run through, as if you just took a sickle to a field of flowers and grasses. The hop blend really is unique, and it stays on the tounge long after. I feel this is the point of contention among reviews. Some like that. Some don't. IMHO I like, or at least don't mind, hops sticking on the palette. This is really an exceptional brew, unlike anything I've had. May sound crazy, but I feel my sinuses clearing. It's not insanely hoppy though. I'd be curious if anyone knows the IBU of it. Let me know if you do. Regardless, it is a great big momma of a pilsner and worth a shot.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

The beer is a pale, limpid golden yellow, incredibly bright and clear, with tons of cheerful bubbles rising to feed the head. The head is a thick froth of small, even sized bubbles, dying down to a thick mist upon sitting. The head leaves some blobby lace, but dies to a meager ring about halfway through. The head retention is perhaps my only complaint with the brew.
The aroma is just fantastic. Very clean pils malt supports a huge peppery saaz spiciness. There's really nothing quite like fresh saaz hops. A touch of cornbread to the malt, with a light lemony fruitiness. The hops are barely balanced, but I'm not complaining. Perhaps some tettnang spiciness, as well.
The flavor starts with smooth, angular pils malt, just a touch of graininess and some fresh corn. Frisky, effervescent carbonation adds a sparkle to the lightish medium body, carrying the beer in style. A faint lemony citrus seeps in, with an agressive, clean hopping blasting through the finish. Very spicy, peppery and tangy, with a bit of an herbal, floral german tettnang feel in the long, hoppy finish. The malt does a fine job of supporting the hops, a bit bready, allowing them to roam free but not get into too much trouble. The finish snaps off clean with an effervescent zing, leaving you with little to no aftertaste.
Finding a bottle of this that's not expired is nearly impossible around my area. I jumped at the chance to try this on tap, and I was not disappointed. One of the best american made pilseners, if not the best.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

I don't like pilsners. I admit it.

I have to give this one points off the appearance because two separate bottles have gushed forth. I wasn't able to pour the entire bottle into my nonick because the head was bigger than the beer content. The aroma is of citrus and that sour grass aroma I associate with lagers. The taste is clean, crisp, dare I say refreshing? But then it gives way to the aftertaste which is mostly that bad tasting (to me) grassy bitter aftertaste that reminds me of lemon rinds. Then again, there are those who like the taste of lemon whites. I've gotten used to it. At least it doesn't taste like water like most other pilsners I've had. A pilsner whith flavor. And an interesting one at that. I do admit this is one of the better pilsners I've had, and am rating it as such. Mouthfeel is crisp (refreshing, I daresay), clean, with a richness of flavor.

If my arm were twisted into getting a pilsner, I'd reach for this one with my good hand.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

While I am not a big fan of Pilsners,as per habit, I am rather fond of this beer (as I am with w/ most victory product, but f you if you call it bias- commie bastatrds)

It pours a light, hazy straw color, some head (not to much) and no noticable lace going down

Smells citrusy and ligt, nothing to noticable.

There is a noticable hop presence there, nothing domiating over the malt, but there is a hop thing going on. The citrus flavor is dominat in a good way, there is some malt in the back round, but nothing big.

It fells good going down, a nice light, well balanced beer. Very Very refesning break when going on the town with stuff like Storm King or Ruination. I could drink this all day and night, and, your non BA friends prob could tood. Enjoy

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer pours clear to a nice straw color. The almost pure-white head quickly goes from two fingers high to less than one finger in a standard pint glass. The head dissipates to a 1/8 inch coating, but does so longer than I expected: about two-three minutes.

The aroma is invigorating. In the nose it has a mildly-sweet malt aroma with a burst of dry hops. When the mouth gets involved in the process a slight grapefruit characteristic is apparent.

The first taste offers an above-average amount of carbonation. Alcohol and malt tastes are all where I'd expect them to be, but each sip finishes cleaner than expected. That's thanks to the hops kicking in sip after sip. It's very refreshing. As it finishes, I sense characteristics of fresh baby greens and more grapefruit. This may be the perfect summer beer.

This was definitely a surprise. It's quite different from most pilsners I've had. It would be a great way to introduce semi-hop-phobic drinkers to the benefits that hops can offer.

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a perfectly clean gold with a tight small bubbled head.
A spicy light sulfur aroma, great pilsner aroma, lemon, spice and herbs.
Malty taste, very light malt and apple, spicy and citrus (grapefruit)hops.
Light, crisp and dry, better than imported pilsners. I can't wait to try this with food, it should be awesome sitting on the deck in the summer with the grill going.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Bright, cheery golden color. Crystal clear. Lively looking carbonation. Head is whiter than a fresh coat of perfectly white paint. Just absolutely pristine.

Hop-dominated aroma. A little bit of light, dried bread malt is in there, but this is predominantly a mix of herbal, grassy hops and some more floral fragrances. Very light feel to it even though I would hardly describe this as a very light-bodied beer. Unexpectedly smooth from the first sip to the last. Malt sweetness is mild and is wiped aside quickly by a snappy hop bite that offers a really earthy, weedy, plant bitterness. Finishes, of course, pretty dry. Went down in a heartbeat. I was a little surprised, frankly. I was really expecting the hops to be overwhelming, and while they do dominate every aspect of this brew, I think they form much more "accessible" type of experience than many super-hopped brews out there. Much more herbal than sharp or outright bitter.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

I picked a six-pack of this up at the brewery. It's a good pilsner. I am not a big pilsner fan, but I would have not problem serving this to company. I believe, on a hot day, I could down a few of these. It's worthwhile picking up a six-pack of these. Victory's stuff is just consistently good.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours hazy deep gold with a quick dissipating head.

Smells...mmmh hoppy, saaz hops all over the place with lemon and white grapes.

Taste is crisp dry saaz hops and lemon. Great crisp, dry finish.

Body is near perfect per style and quite refreshing. This a a brew I hold up as an example to macro-swillers that Americans actually make better lagers than the "king of beers", seriously, they need convincing sometimes.

Drinkability is great and the flavor never dissapoints. This along with Hacker-Pschorr Hefe are my official lunch brews.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

This beer's head quickly dissipated, but it had a nice yellow lager color. The smell had a good whiff of hops. Which brings me to the taste... It had a nice hoppy taste a decent malt profile. The hoppiness is out of the ordinary for a lager so this was well appreciated. Not using cascade hops was a good idea as well. I really enjoyed tasting the different flavors and savoring the hops flavors. Quite drinkable and enjoyable.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Bright yellow color with a thick tight white head. Clean aroma, fresh cut grass, wet hay and a bit of malt sweetness. Nothing making it stand out but it is nice. The flavor matches the aroma. A grassy up front with a hint of malt then back over to a bitter hop finish. This beer is smooth in the mouth and very drinkable. This has to be one of the better American Pilsners that I have had to date!

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Clear pale gold, white head with little retention but some lacing. Smells of sweet pale malt, spicy, flowery German hops. Those leafy hops dominate this brew. Oh what a finish. The beautiful hops slide down gracefully and feel great. Too drinkable. Wow. Malt and hop flavor could mesh a tad better and the head retention should be improved, but damn this is a great beer.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours into a German pilsner glass a clear straw yellow with a luscious and ample tightly knit white head. Profuse lacing and excellent head retention. Lemon pepper hits the nose first, followed by a touch of pale malts. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, and there is noticeable hops bite. Plenty of citric bitterness in the taste with minimal malt characteristics. A bit too much of an aggressive hops presence for my preference in a pils. Still a satisfying and very drinkable offering.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company