Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a deep yellow, with small orange highlights. Carbonation is world-class, and this is beyond beautiful in the Duvel tulip. Millions of steams of orchestrated strands glisten upwards, in definitive pace. With a large white head, that lasts and lasts.

Smell is light with plentiful layers of fruit. Cut fresh hay with a citrus zest, very light effervescent grape, and tangy melon.

Taste upfront has a blast of spicy wheat, and light hay. Delicious German malts. Grassy hops, with a tangy citrus twang take over soon after. Soon the citrus takes over leading way to another spicy semi-floral hop wave. This Pilsner is overall, a blast of flavors screaming for attention. Your palate better damn well listen! The Saaz hops work well with this Pilsner, creating such a beautiful blend of flavor.

I have to say, I love this brew. It's just incredibly solid, any way you look at it. Victory nailed the German Pilsner style here. Prosit!

HoustonTX, Sep 15, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance is light, clear, well carbonated, and has good head that could stick around a little longer. Smells good, with distinguishable grain, and Czech and German hops. Flavor is an excellent balance, hops are more prominent than a normal pils, which I appriciate. Light malt and grain are still noticible. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp, close to perfect. I'm not a huge fan of the pilsner style, but this is one of the few I can drink a many of and I actually WANT to!!!

Pooba001, Sep 11, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date into a pilsner glass. Was a nice straw color with good head and carb. Had the typical pilsner smell and looked great but the taste was average for me. Finished a little too dry for my liking and was a little too hoppy. I'm new to the style so will try again as palate develops. (3,RB,ML,O)

TexIndy, Sep 09, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours very clear golden with a nice head, decent retension and some lace.

Smells of hay, hops, floral.

To me, the taste was unusual at first, not what I expected. It packs some flavor. Nice herbal hop fix with some malt to back it up.

Deffinitely quite drinkable. I enjoyed this beer. Recommended

nicefix, Sep 09, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Very clear and light straw color. Thin white head without any retention to speak of beyond a thin skin of tiny bubbles. Smells herbal and grassy with a whiff of alcohol. But maybe that was my breath.

Taste is a quick punch of mellow malt, spicy hops, bitterness and you're home. Suitably light. Not much carbonation in my bottle.

Bullseye. In a more pleasant alternate universe this is what we get when we open a can of macrobrew. Come back, summer. I want to drink more Prima Pils.

maundythirsty, Sep 08, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Prima Pils pours a nice clear gloden color, not too deeper than most macros that claim to be of the same style. Smell is hoppy with hints of a yeasty aroma. Taste is nice and light, but in a good way. There is a nice hop edge and sweet malty background that shows that despite the beers light color, it can still be quite flavorful. Nice hop flavor and aroma as well.

ericj551, Sep 08, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: A beautiful straw golden; Good sized white head with tiny bubbles.

Smell: Some noble hop aroma, very clean.

Taste: Slight citrus up front, tasty biterness in the end. Very well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Great body, very satisfying. Tiny bubbles play on the tounge.

Drinkability: This drinks like a perfect lager. Very clean, smooth and yummy.

psinderson, Sep 07, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Victory in Colorado! This has finally made it to the Colorado shelves.

Presentation: 12 oz longneck. Description of the beer, but no freshness info to be found.

Appearance: Light gold color with a nice frothy head. Fades to a thick lacing on the top and the sides.

Smell: Bready malt, a whiff of sulphur, and some noble hops.

Taste: Lots of noble hop flavor, with a good malt backbone. The hint of suplhur shows up here. Nicely balanced, leaning towards the hops.

Overall impression: Great pilsner - I am always excited to see a new craft pilsners on the shelf. Hopefully this one moves fast enough in Colorado to stay fresh.

rowew, Aug 30, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Prima Pils pours a clear light straw / golden color (kinda remind me of a piss color) with a thick white head. Little lace left, though, for a thick head.

Floral hops are strong in this one. Sourdough bread in the mix as well with just a hint of sweetness. Hoppy aroma for a pilsner, but I like it.

Taste runs along the same lines as the smell. Slightly bitter floral hops upfront with the sour, bready flavor in the middle. More hop bite at the finish. Very crisp. The sweet and sour mixes very well in the middle. Hoppier than others in this style that I have had. For a hop head that is a good thing though.

Crisp, clean, bubbly feel in the mouth. Leans more to the thin side. Very refreshing warm weather beer. Very easy to drink. I think I know what I will be getting more of for my Labor Day cookout. Another tasty brew from Victory.

Imstillthegman, Aug 25, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pils glass.

A-Very clear golden color.Huge head and lots of bubbles.

T-Sweet and stout,I couldnt taste the hops in it.

S-Sweet smell,I coulnt tell ya what kind of smells other then being sweet there are in it.

M-It attacks your palate,I think its a typical pilsner,much better then Budweiser.

D-Good "session" beer,as I drank more, it grew on me.I dont really care for many pils but I liked this one.It was a good change from other beers ive been consuming.I would have this again and I reccomend this to any beer drinker.Kudos to Victory!

MmmIPA, Aug 23, 2006

This beer has gone up in my estimation, so I've decided to review it again. It's simply the finest example of a Pils that I've come across. The edelhopfen aroma, taste, and prolonged bitterness are so heavenly. The incredible carbonation and refreshing character make it my warm weather beer of choice. I've had cases of this, and it's probably my favorite (easy) beer!

mjc410, Aug 22, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Clear golden with a foamy 1-finger snow-white head. Great retention, though not much lace. Lots of carbonation bubbles in this beer.

S: Abundant Czech & German hops give a nice floral aroma. Some malt balance, like sourdough bread.

T: Full flavors of hops and malt. Hops come across as herbal and grassy with a clean bitterness. Malt is bready and slightly sweet. Excellent flavors and fullness for the style.

M: Medium body with alot of lingering bitterness. Very crisp and clean. Mouthfeel is mostly dry, pleasantly smooth with a bit of creaminess.

D: Quite refreshing. Excellent summer beer, pilsner or otherwise.
Recommended.

msubulldog25, Aug 20, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Another beer from Baba Budan's in Cincinnati Ohio.

The beer pours a light yellow body with a white head that lastes for a decent amount of time but turns to a film across the top of the beer. The smell and taste are very hoppy giving it a floral taste and aroma. It's a light-medium bodied beer that finishes refreshingly dry and makes me wanting another one. This beer is one of my favorite pilsners out there. I mean it's the perfect hop head's lawn mowing beer. It's light in body dry and refreshing and hoppy as no other pils I have met as of this date.

cproioi, Aug 19, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured this 12 oz. into a pilsner glass. No date. Chill haze evident, Yellowy straw color. Minimal head, this may be an old bottle?

Smell was of sour/tart wet grains.

Taste was crisp and tangy with a sweet finish.

Mouthfeel was a raspy Saaz hop texture.

I did enjoy this one, I am a Pilsner fan. I do feel this one was past it's "prima". I look forward to giving this one another try.

Cresant, Aug 17, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

I've been looking for a good hoppy, bitter pils since returning from Germany and I've finally hit the jackpot! This one pourded a golden strawlike color with a nice bright white head and decent lacing. It has a nice strong hop aroma with some grassy undertones. The taste transported me back to Germany instantly. A nice strong bitter hop bite with an ever so slight malt sweetness and a tinge of grassiness. The finish was unbelievably crisp and biting. A perfect German style pilsner that I will definitely keep stocked until I return to Deutschland.

beerdrifter, Aug 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Light golden...super clear and clean...perfect head..

A lightly spicy aroma...

Taste has a spicy hop profile wit ha perfect grainy malt backing...

This is hopped up but well done...use of grains blends perfectly...

An american made pilsner that can match up with the best of the best pilsners..probably more asertive than most but very well done...great clarity and look.

ZAP, Aug 12, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Drinking this one a short time after the enjoy by date: 15Jul06. Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pour resulted in a nice white head that left a good amount of lace as I quaffed this one down. Prima Pils has a light golden hue with substantial carbonation.

This brew gives off a citrus-like hop scent with a bit of spicyness. Pilsner malt smell evident as well.

The taste is certainly bold for a Pilsener. Hop spicyness lingers after the swallow. Nice crisp finish. Malt definitely rides sidekick to the hops in this Pilsner, which I like a lot. Victory definitely stepped it up a notch with this one.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, with noticeable carbonation pricking the tongue throughout.

One could definitely rip back a few of these after a tough day at work and be better for it. Especially if you like a side of hops with your pilsner.

Louie1031, Aug 10, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

From the bottle, this was a hazy straw with a disappointingly thin head and lots of carbonation. Fortunately, the bouquet and flavors were top-notch: lots of floral aromas in the nose and a buttery sweetness followed by a crisp, dry, and very bitter hop finish.

The bitter finish is almost too overwhelming, though I think it really only detracts from this brew in terms of drinkability. I don't know that I think this deserves the title of BA's best German pilsener, but it is quite tasty. A worthwhile summer brew.

benito, Aug 08, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Poured a light straw color with 1 finger width white head, no lacing down the glass
S: Smell is of fresh cut alfalfa/grass. nice aroma but not too overbearing
T: Taste is crisp hoppiness, with a bitter aftertaste. Characteristic skunkiness that is common with pilsner beers.
M: Moderate to heavy carbonation bite on the tongue
D: Good Pilsner, I never really drink this style of beer but would be very refreshing on a hot summer day. Thanks to nlmartin for this one recieved in a trade.

loren01, Aug 06, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

A-Golden yellow color with a decent fluffy white head.

S-Nice malt aroma behind the spicy hops.

T-Ever so slightly sweet malt taste, followed by a little citrus and the spicy bitterness of the hops.

M-Kind of thin mouthfeel, with a light dry finish.

D-This goes down pretty smooth, leaves a nice aftertaste, making it very drinkable.

dansm, Aug 05, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

I have had this beer a number of times. It always goes down too darn quickly for me to get any sort of notes on it. Mighty tasty stuff. This time I held back to take these notes:

Appearance: Pours a lemon straw yellow color with a semi hazy body and a big white head.

Smell: Lemon grain and herbal hops. It is clean and certainly hoppy. Just what I expect from a German Pilsner. Its that spicy Saaz that just tickles my nose and the anticipation builds.

Taste: No disappointment here. This beer is packed full of flavors and depth (for a Pilsner especially). It has a solid malt backbone (with a dash of sweetness) that holds it together and of coarse spices and grassy Saaz hop bitterness that is bold but not cloying. The aftertaste is the best part of this beer. It sticks with you relentlessly and beckons for the next sip. Thus the drinkability! WOW!

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth and crisp with a very dry finish. Superb!

Drinkability: Don't mess around, this beer is like Pringles; once you pop you can't you can't stop. Make sure you have plenty cuz after one you'll want more. This beer is built for sessioning, parties and *DRINKING!*

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Aug 02, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a clear pale golden with a foamy white head. Saaz hops jump right out in the nose, in addition to a bready malt with a feint touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and crisp. Spicey Saaz hops are noticeable right away in the taste. Flavor's a little non-descript upfront, but the assertive hoppiness of the Saaz comes through soon enough. Flavors of grapefruit are also present in the hoppy pils. Without the assertive use of hops I think this would be a rather regular and bland pilsner. Nice maltiness toward the back. Lingering hop bitterness in the finish. I had this with Italian sausages and pasta and it paired wonderfully. Definitely one to seek out and give a try.

Winter, Jul 29, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a crystal clear straw color with a bright white head. Unfortunately, my head almost completely disappeared in 3 minutes and didn't even leave a trace on the side of the glass.

The smell is nice and fresh. Even the smell is refreshing. Lots of nice flowery hops in the nose, along with some sweet malt.

Holy Munich, Batman! This is a lovely pilsner. Nice and clean, a bit sweet, with a great Saaz aftertaste lingering in your mouth.

Very thin mouthfeel could use a little thickening up, in my opinion. And maybe a higher mash temp might help with head retention, too.

The taste makes up for the thin mouthfeel and the ordinary looks. This is quite drinkable.

DaveFL1976, Jul 27, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Wow....
Second review of this beer...I finally got a fresh one thanks to blitheringidiot from PA...thanks, Ev. Unfortunately in California so far I had not been able to find fresh Victory product
Pours a pale golden yellow with a nice single finger head that melts to sticky lacing which seems to last the entire glass.
Aroma is lager yeasts and grass with the tiniest of sweet malt.
Taste is brisk and clean...sweet malt...with a nice pleasant hop bite on the tale end that drys the mouth as it should.
Aftertaste is a pleasant blend of the malt and hops...still drying...making you want another sip...then another. Exactly the way a summer beer should be.
VERY drinkable.
I'm very happy to post this positive review of this excellent beer.
***
Update: It appears that fresh Prima Pils is finally making it's way out west....I've been lucky enough to get it regularly and it is Wonderful...the best there is.

IntriqKen, Jul 26, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear yellow/gold with a medium size head. Mossy smell is noticeableat first sniff. Nice clean flavor with hop bite mid-taste, but quickly fading into a crisp refreshing finish. This is a good beer, I am not normally a huge fan of lagers, but I could drink this one again and again.

Edited to add: This beer just kept getting better and better. I thought I should come back and adjust my scores accordingly.

coldchill, Jul 26, 2006