Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to the beerwif for this one. Pours with a little head and rather yellow. Very hoppy smell for a pils. Tastes crisp and clean with a hoppy taste. Good mouthfeel and easy to drink. My definition of a well done pils and I like the style. May be my favorite of the style.

Cheers.

From a 6 pack that has a best before Apr-07 date. (i heard you had to watch for this to get a fresh beer)

Pours a vibrant golden yellow color with a cottony white head. I up ended my bottle on the pour and had a good finger of head.

Smell, a rounded malty aroma with hints of floral, quite fragrant with a little zip to it.

Taste was like light biscuits and bread mixed with a little nuts and some mellow hops to round it out. A little racey and i like it. Fresh on the palate with a good crispiness. I'll be keeping a 6er as standard stock in my dbf.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

The appearance of this brew is its downfall and if that is the worst thing that you can say about this brew, you have a winner.
The colour is a brilliant pale with limited crown and a light carbonation...the body appears to be thin or watery.
However, this is a nicely balanced beer with a slight advantage to the hops to end. The expierience I recieve from this pilsner is of a fruit mash> pear, lemon a touch of corn.
At first I thought I detected the aroma of corn, if so it quickly left never to return leaving a light floral scent in its wake. Very pleasing.
The appearance of a thin body holds true.
Session beer.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

Drank this many beer times over the years. I've compared this beer to some of the top Czech pilseners and it seems to best them.

Poured a huge head from a lousy self-pour into a tall narrow glass mug. I love seeing the lacing that forms. Truly a beautiful beer to look at.

I've never noticed much of a smell from this beer. If anything it just smells clean and fresh like summer.

This beer is awesome because its good by itself or with most any food. It has crispness and palate cleansing properties. Yet it also has some very good hop qualities. I enjoy the citrusy notes.

I can drink just one in a session or 2 with a meal and would drink several of these if they weren't so pricey. Spent around $8.00 for a 6er.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

poured into my Penn Brewery tall pilsner glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap with best by date May/17/07.

Clear,light golden color with a creamy 1" head dissapating into a good layer of foam throughout the beer.Constiant stream of tiny bubbles tightly knit and spotty lacing down the glass.

Strong spicy hop aromas,lots of spicyness and slightly grassy.Some sweet carmell in the nose and a nice toastyness.A clean,inviting aroma.

A snappy spicy taste,toasty/nutty with a bittersweet carmellness. A good,clean citrusy finish. A very balanced beer with a great taste.

A light mouthfeel with bits of grainy courseness,a nice tangyness makes the juices flow.
Extremely drinkable a beer I pick this beer up often to session with.
I'd this one a try. Really good on a hot summer day,very refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is very good. It tastes much like a good Bohemian Pilsner, like a Pilsner Urquell or a Czechvar.

It pours a pale, dull, yellow with decent head formation which dissipates quickly but leaves good lacing. At first I was afraid I smelled a bit of skunkiness, but I believe that was just generous amounts of Saaz hops. Flavor is fairly light, but definitely "European" in character. At first I thought it didn't taste like much, but as I drank it, significant pleasant bitterness accumulated in my mouth. Mouthfeel is light, but not insubstantial. This beer is extremely drinkable.

3.67/5  rDev -8.9%

App: Poured a standard light pale amber color with good head. There was no lacing, and the head retention was better than average for american made pilseners, i'm sure. Most tend to fizzle out eventually, but this stayed around with ample carbonation.

Smell: A nice conglomeration of german hops comes through on the nose. More intense than the imported varieties, this beer really brought the hops to life.

Taste: I found the hops even more intense on the palate than on the nose, which actually detracted a little from the nice light malt that I knew was there. It was a tad unbalanced, or at least not balanced in the direction I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel: I usually don't expect much from pilseners in the mouthfeel category except crisp, refreshing and a slight bite on the aftertaste, but this had a more notable bitterness, as well as more intense carbonation than usual. It was still somewhat crisp, but more rounded out by other sensations.

Drinkability: I wouldn't session this beer as I would other pilsners, because it seems a little more intricate and little bit more thinking about. It's more of artisinal pilsener, and that's a rare find, but it's not what I want when going for the style.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Victory has done a fantastic job. Their beers are consistently well done. The Pils is a fine example of a European Pils, rarely found in America. This beer is clean and drinkable. I rarely buy the same beer week after week, but this is a fine beer and I seek it out, especially when the weather is warm.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Yet another sample from the markdown section at Vendome, a 12 ounce bottle cost me a mere 99 cents, and that folks, is what we call a bargain. On to the beer:

It's German styled alright, but with an American twist to it. What are American craft brewers known for? Making hoppy beers. Take a standard German Pils, and make it a pinch hoppier. It's a bit grassy and spicy with lingering bready malts following each sip. I expected it to be sweeter than it tasted, as the smell had an appealing sticky sweet scent to it. Very German in character, but don't tell my German stange glass that it was brewed in America.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours bright gold with perfect clarity and a sticky but thin white head that leaves lacing and a collar. Familiar sea-air Saaz hop aroma, very fragrant and volatile. Nice graininess underneath. On the palate, rough hops are at the forefront -- not rough like a bronco, but rough like fine-grained sandpaper. Light barley malt backing on the palate, which provides some smoothness to the beer without being overly creamy or thick. Mouthfeel is light in weight but scratchy with hops. Overall, this is a wonderful pils -- it's got all the hallmarks of the style, but it's also got an American edge in that it's drier and hoppier than most Euro examples. But it's not overdone; it maintains its sessionability. Excellent.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

Appearance is pale yellow and clear. A white head slowly faded as it was drank.

Smell is very earthy and flower-like.

A great taste of malt, flowery and earthy like the smell. Hops are fainter, yet distinct in the background. Their earthy taste compliments the malt well.

I really enjoyed this beer, though it was my first pilsener and very drinkable. I will have to explore this style more thoroughly.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance- light gold pours a thin head and dissipates to a ring around glass. Heavy bubbling.

Smell- hint of hops, primarily smell of malt and yeast.

Taste- Beautiful hint of hops. Not over done but blended in tactfully. Smooth malt taste, not overpowering. Basically a balanced pilsner with a small kick of hops.

Mouthfeel- very basic and smooth. I wouldn't expect any abuse from a pilsner.

Drinkability- high drinkability for its balance. definitely can drink this one often. Nothing harsh or out there, high marks for its balance, but no flashy experimentation per se.

best before June 04, 07 Poured into pils glass.

Pours golden yellow with a foamy head that is well-retained.

The smell is of hops - Saaz hops. Plenty of them.

The taste is floral and grassy - Saaz hops with just enough malt to keep things together.

The feel is appropriately light, with some slickness to it.

This is one that I get when I want a hoppy pils. It is refreshingly light with a hoppy character and a nice taste.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A: Pours a translucent yellow with lively carbonation. Pillowy head that has great retention and leaves sticky trails in abundance down the sides of the glass.

S: Dry grain, a bit of farmhouse funk, spicy (peppery), herbal. Very mellow.

T/M: Nothing tricky about this: spicy, hoppy, and dry. Really crisp. Finish is dry and bitter.

D: Crisp, dry, bitter, wonderful. I'm not much of a pilsener fan, but this is good stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 14oz Pokal

Visual:
crystal clear straw tinted beer, very bubbly with 1/2 inch of wet white head

Smell:
faint notes of wheat and a dose of floral/herbal hops

Taste:
hints of light raw wheat as well as a little home-made white bread. Hops kick in with authority; slightly biting, herbal tasting with just a touch of lemon zest.

Body:
Crisp is the name of the game here; nicely carbonated, light in body, substantial drying from the hops, lingering bitterness.

Drinkability:
this is a great lawn-mower beer for hop-heads; it is extremely drinkable, nicely hopped, light bodied, very satisfying on a hot day or with some tangy barbecue

~E. Brad

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a mug, because I plan on pairing (ha!) this with some fresh grilled hot dogs and that's what seems right.

Pours a lovely clear golden color, nice carbonation present and an absolutely huge, puffy, foamy white head. I was a little concerned about not using a pilsner glass, but this baby's holding up just fine. Nice lacing too.

The aroma is nice and grassy, its sweet and fruity too, along with a nice hop presence. Yum!

Taste is quite grassy and floral as well, along with a nice sweetness that comes through before the hops in the swallow. Quite hoppy, but very tasty. Probably my favorite American pilsener.

Mouthfeel is good, not too light, crisp and slightly drying. The hoppiness, without excessive bitterness, from the flavor just won't quit, and thats a good thing.

Drinkability is great, this is a great one for the summer or for sessioning during a long spell of sporting activities, either playing or watching.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

Certainly the best american Pils I have had, this beer pours a clear straw yellow with a small white head and active carbonation in the glass.

Nose is malty and a little sweet, hops are there but quite subdued. Nonetheless, very appetizing.

Taste is very pleasant, with initial malty carbonated feeling followed by notable bitterness, which fades into the finish slowly.

Beers like this aren't going to blow the palate away like some heavier and stronger styles, but in terms of enjoyablility, this beer could easily be sessioned with this taste and ABV, and thus is judged by style rather than overall impact.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice golden yellow color with a nice white head. Seems like what a Pils should look like.

Smell is like the hay I used to haul as a kid. Minus the sneezing! There are also some hops mixed in there.

Taste is excellent. Very smooth and buttery and buscuit like with a hoppy finish that lasts in your mouth a while.

Mouthfeel is light and buttery.

Drinkability is very high. I've never tasted a pilsner this good before. One of my go to brews from now on.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer pours an odd shade of yellow. It's almost florescent as I hold it to my computer monitor. The beer has a light and crisp hop smell that peers out of a IPA-like head. The taste is also very fresh, crisp and bold. It has a mild grassy start, a touch of metal-ish hops and then a bitter grassy ending. Refreshing, light (without losing flavor), and not too strong, great session beer.

I got this beer $.88...waa wee wee waa

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I had this on tap once, but that was weeks ago and I took no notes. I remember being a lot more impressed from the tap then this bottle.

Appearance was a lighter golden with a pretty full white head that disappeared and left no signs of existance shortly after. Looks like what you would expect from a traditional pilsner.

Smell was pretty appetizing. It's like smelling a regular old pilsner but with cunning malt and hop character.

Taste was delicious. It just seemed like it was holding back compared to the pint I had on tap. If I were reviewing the draft, I would have given it a 5, but the bottled version fell short of anything above good.

Mouthfeel was exciting and adequately carbonated.

Drinkability from the bottle was one aspect that beat the draft. I remember being slightly overwhelmed from the draft (which wasn't totally a bad thing) and the bottle is actually an incredibly easy drink. This would be a good case for a get together.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

These notes might be five months old. I got lazy then I misplaced them.

Chill haze, pale hay-yellow in hue, no bubbles danced in the liquid; bright white foam. At the apex the head was three fingers tall. Impressive head retention, the bubbles slowly subsided to a modest cap. The subsequent lacing was unorganized and sporadic. This is an attractive beer.

The legend of Prima Pils doesn’t live up to the hype… at least based on what I smell. Sure, the nose is pleasantly hoppy, spicy, earthy, grassy, and zesty with some citrus notes. Not much malts, I am surprised. Maybe (and I mean maybe) I detect some cracker aromas. It is lightly fruity in the background. Moderate potency, it is a charmingly hoppy Pils; what more can I ask for.

The palate is quite enjoyable. Flowery, grassy, citrus and zesty hoppiness. Fairly bitter, it hits me at the back of the throat. I’m impressed with the concentrated hop flavors. The palate is tangy in the middle, fruity… minimal malt backbone. This is a tasty Pils. I like it but I would like a fuller flavor profile.

Medium in body, light carbonation, creamy mouthfeel; I prefer the mouthfeel to be firmer.

Damn tasty and drinkable; this is not as outstanding as I thought it would be. I like Blue Paddle and Scrimshaw just as much. Still, I want another bottle or two... or a keg. Thank you RedHaze for the sample, I am happy I finally tried Prima Pils.

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a very light-yellow straw color with a large white head. It is mostly clear except for just a bit of haziness.

Smells like a muted wheat beer.

Taste consists of a strong wheaty flavor with a grainy aftertaste. Other than that one ingredient I'm not even picking up any of the popular orange or lemon sweetness. Kind of bland.

Mouthful is pretty light, awesome carbonation, and very refreshing.

Drinkability is great. Pils have never been the most exciting beers for me, or wheat type beers in general. But this one is refreshing with a strong flavor. Just not my kind of flavor. Very refreshing and ended up being quite enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked this one up at the Pioneer Supermarket in Manhattan, which has a great selection, because I've been so impressed with other Victory Beers.

The beer pours nicely with a significant head that doesn't last too long. The color is pleasing, sort of a medium light straw. Enough color to suggest something interesting. From the first smell and taste I can tell I like it. I haven't had a Pilsner Urquell in some time, but this tastes very, very similar to me. Medium high-notes, very drinkable, a good beer.

This would be a nice one to enjoy with the game. Definitely one to try to win over some die-hard big-brewer lager drinkers.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%

pours a light golden color with lots of carbonation and a strong hop smell to it, tastes hoppy with a slight malt sweetness to it, with a spicy hoppy aftertaste, the frothy head doesn't stay for long as it quickly subsides, a good beer especially for the its cheap price, a good representation of a tough brew to master

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

I poured this beer into my Magic Hat Hocus Pocus Pilsner glass. Coloration was pale golden...similar to a Budweiser, with a nice little white head. Smell was extremely clean, almost too clean by my standards in that it smelled a bit like dish soap. Taste was also very clean, with crisp carbonation, a definite vegetable presence, and touch of hops. It was pretty easy on the palate....simply an easy to drink Lager. I preferred the Harvest Pilsner much more on tap, but then again, this is a pretty quality Pilsner considering some of the other interpretations out there on the market. Cheers.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company