Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
AudioGilz

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%

Slightly cloudy...I thought pilseners should be clear? Aroma is very much of spicy hops and a little bit of malt sweetness. The flavor is very very hoppy...a spicy kind of hoppy. It's odd, because I bought this sixer a few weeks ago, and my first try of it was absolutely horrible. Just straight up completely and utterly stomach turning bitter. So I was pissed that I bought a bad batch and let the rest sit in the crisper. And I try one tonite, and it tastes tolerable. It's not great, still very bitter, but now it tastes like I thought it should. Who knows, my palate might have been retarded the last time. I find this beer pretty enjoyable now. A little too much bitterness for my liking though.

03-04-2003 23:27:33 | More by AudioGilz
GreatPondBrewer

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured a straw yellow, cloudy with virtually no head. This was a pretty average pour, but lurking inside was a huge brew. It smelled very bitter with lots of citrus in the nose. The taste was bold, hoppy and bitter with a slight malt taste. There were some nice mellow notes of pear and mellon that came to the front as it warmed. This is another great brewe from Victory.

03-04-2003 20:41:16 | More by GreatPondBrewer
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Victory is amazing, because they don't give in to the masses, and they brew the types of beers that they like to brew. This one pours a slightly hazy gold with a vibrant white head that left a full even lace all the way down the glass. The aroma presents a very quaffable bouquet of aromatic saaz hops, not much sweetness just all hops baby. Victory pulled an Emeril on this one, and kicked it up another notch. The European hops give it that classic lager crispness. The taste has a more balanced malt/hop ratio than the aroma. Slightly citrus edge to it, the bitterness leaves a trail of hop resin as it flows down the gullet. The mouthfeel is standard for a well done pilsner, very unique overall finish from this light to medium bodied beer. I could drink this regularly, very palatable and easy to drink. I can't see how somebody couldn't love this beer, but that's just my opinion.

03-04-2003 12:56:31 | More by WVbeergeek
yen157

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden straw in color with a fine white head that melted away leaving a very sticky lace on the glass and on the liquid. Beautiful, and dare I say it, nearly perfect pale malt and hop aroma. Yum. Malty, spicy, tea-like sweet fruit… what is there NOT to like about this beer. Soft bubbles, but not under carbonated. This was a pilsner like I’ve never had before.

02-24-2003 19:18:11 | More by yen157
Jarod

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer was poured, drank and loved at the brewery itself. It came to me a bright beautiful golden yellow color. Very clear so that one could watch the bubbles dance in the glass. A soft, creamy white head sat on top of my glass calling me to nose and taste it. So I did. The aromas that tickled my nose were fresh, sweet, spicy and hoppy. The different hop smells from fresh grass to citrus to flowers to spices came right at my nose. There were some sweet malt tones as well but the hops were the primary smells. And the taste, WOW, the taste was absolutely great. Hops took the front again, grass, lemons, cloves, hay, flowers and some spices all covered my tongue, again, there was a definite sweet malt presence as well to try to balance the hops, and does so very well. But one cannot deny that this beer was made for hops. Very bold and aggressive from the moment it touches your lips to the middle as it rushes over your tongue to the very dry finish. When I say dry, I mean dry. I swear I could actually feel every drop of moisture get sucked off of my tongue. It was like a desert in there, a bold flavorful desert that I would not mind being stranded in. Great example of this style. Loved it and was glad rotsaruch told me to try it.

02-24-2003 13:46:14 | More by Jarod
OatmattStout

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

It was a nice golden color and had a really nice whit pillowy head that stayed for a while and rendered a really impressive lace all the way down the glass. It's flavors were hop dominated and very refreshing. Exactly what I expected as the american micro version of a pilsner. It had very good body and a grapefruit tart hop finish. More hoppy than most pils you will come across but good none the less.

02-20-2003 15:21:13 | More by OatmattStout
WanderingFool

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

One of the tastiest pilsners I've tried. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a thick white frothy foam head. The foam will flow over the glass if not poured slowly! A citrusy/hoppy aroma floats above the beer. Each sip is very smooth, but there is a slight tingle on the tonge just before you swallow. Flavors of hops & citrus seem to dominate at first, however a toasted malt taste makes its presence known towards the end. A dry finish with a slightly hoppy aftertaste is all that remain after each sip.

This beer reminds me of some of the European pilsners I've tried, but without the skunky aroma or taste. Another winner from Victory.

02-20-2003 12:48:57 | More by WanderingFool
cretemixer

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

My first Victory product! Pours a slightly hazy gold with a unbelievable thick and dense head that hangs in there for a good, long time. Fades to about a quarter inch fed by the carbonation. Floral and citrus hop aroma is foremost. Taste is also very hoppy for a pilsener, but extremely welcome. Good mouthfeel for the style and nicely carbonated--Left a mother of a lace down the whole glass too. Thanks to aaronh for this fine beer and the other Victory's to follow.

01-26-2003 11:26:10 | More by cretemixer
kunzbrew

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

This brew pours a very sexy light hazy straw color, with a big white fluffy head that last the duration, and yes leaving a very sexy lace behind. The hop aroma is very nice and strong, the malt aroma has some earthy notes to it quite pleasant indeed. The first sips brings great enjoyment to my palate the strong, yet very nice hop flavor is there in full force. The maltiness is very good also because it compliments the hops. This is the best pilsner I have ever had. Many more of these bad boys are in my future.

Cheers.

01-16-2003 18:37:38 | More by kunzbrew
ADR

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Yellow-gold color with a generous 1/2 inch head of crystal-like white foam. Delicate and attractive web laces. Lemony aroma, some Saaz characteristics with a far off malt sense of shortbread. Wow, nicely hoppy flavor, clover, flowers, and a citrusy sense. Malt takes a back seat and is somewhat biscuit-like overall. A very nice dry finish. I know this is an over the top beer for style, but jeez, this is a great brew for my tastes -- memorable and head and shoulders over so many others.

01-16-2003 09:26:45 | More by ADR
OldFrothingSlosh

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Another excellent offering from Victory. And yet another big Thanks! to my fellow BA's for opening up the door to the wonderful world that is Victory brewing. I've yet to be disappointed by any of their beers.

Pours a lovely, golden yellow with a "shimmering" head that was very robust and persisted to coat the glass all the way to the very bottom.

Aroma is HOPPY! A floral, spciy nasal assault that clearly indicates the direction this beer is going.

Flavor? Hoppy, obviously. Very crisp and dry, this beer was made for tantalizing the taste buds. Hiding in the background is the malt character, but it was masked by the hops to the point that I really couldn't discern what I was tasting. Mouthfeel is excellent, as is the drinkability. It finished clean and dry, with the hoppy character lingernig.

01-13-2003 13:28:38 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
Brewzzle

Australia

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

For someone who's introduction to beer was bad pilseners this has changed my whole opinion of the style.

Appearance is the usual pilsener yellow but with a warm golden hint, a giveaway that this beer is something special. A fine head which leaves a delicate lace all the way to bottom of the glass.

To taste it is hoppy (I figured the large hop flower on the bottle might mean something), clean and very crisp. There is a slight yeast taste noticeable in the first sip but the big flavor quickly overcomes. A moderate malt sweetness and body to match. Aftertaste is a deliciously strong hop bitterness which lasts and lasts. Perhaps the hops are a little out of balance but that is fine with me.

If the Big Business Beers have ruined your impression of what is touted as one of the great beer styles then this beer will make everything alright again.

01-11-2003 13:53:22 | More by Brewzzle
BeerAngel

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very clear and very pale yellow with numerous bubbles racing to the top to reach the pure white 2 finger head that awaits them. The aromas of floral hops and a light earthy scent make the taste buds antsy. Wow! First off, you taste the floral hops again along with nice lightly sweet mild earthy malt. A very crisp and clean light bodied brew that finishes with a dry hop. This creates a higher drinkability in this brew due to the dryness making you want more as well as a very nice flavor. Nicely done! Thanks again to Rotsaruch for sending this brew! Cheers!

01-11-2003 12:07:35 | More by BeerAngel
Scoats

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm not a fan of Czech style pilsners. Yeah I know it's "the best beer in the world!" and everything but the true to style finishing taste just doesn't do it for me.

That being said, I really, really like this beer. Prima Pils is a very traditional pilsner in every way (yellow filtered body, big white head, and dry, dry, dry) until it gets to the very final taste where it gets "wet" and flowerly, if that makes sense.

01-07-2003 06:32:17 | More by Scoats
HopDevil

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Victory Prima Pils is the very definition of crisp and dry, and, if you look in the dictionary under refreshing, don't be surprised if they show a bottle of this beer as an example.

The cloud of hop aroma that wafts into the nostrils upon opening a bottle of Prima Pils announces that this is definitely not your customary Pils and accurately predicts the flavor that follows. While some yeast nose is evident, the clean fresh herbal hop aroma overwhelms the malt but what a heavenly odor to a hophead like myself.

A mountain of firm antique white lather piled up on the pale gold colored beer as I carefully poured the Prima into my pilsner glass. The lovely head was long lasting and left a patchy, frothy lace on the glass as it stubbornly receded. Prima in the glass is brilliant and clear of any chill haze. Effervescent bubbles were seen visibly drifting slowly up into the foamy cloud above.

The taste was predominately hops - herbal with a hint of grassiness. Prima rewards you with a satisfying hop flavor without succumbing to bitterness. Yes, Definitely noble hops and totally mouthwatering! Further along the taste buds I detected a very slight astringent or husky graininess with only a ghost of residual malt sweetness (my sweet receptor taste buds may have long since been burned away however) with no fruity esters, diacetyl or citrus notes in evidence. The after taste is hop heaven, dry and very enjoyable. This is a beer that is an excellent compliment to most meals but may tend to dominate delicate flavored dishes.

Prima Pils is a beer I savored and enjoyed very much and I predict that in future I will often have a glass of it's hopy fragrance and golden color in my hand. Like they say " A victory for your taste"
if you have a taste for hops that is.

01-04-2003 14:12:58 | More by HopDevil
Gusler

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

How lucky you East coast “Beer Doyen’s” are to have access to this fine breweries line of beers, where I the “Poor Wretched Soul” that I am, must rely upon the good nature of fellow beer lovers to acquire these beers from time to time. Also as much as I rant and rave about the “Poor” Lagers/Pils, must admit this is a beer to admire.

The archetypal pilsner color, a crystalline gold color, the head dazzling white, modest in size, creamy in its texture, the left over lace a delicate glass covering sheet. Lemon Lime fresh and crisp is the nose, dominated by the malts, quite a pleasure to sniff. Malt start, somewhat sweet, skinny at the top, finish delightful in its hop spicy crispness, spitefully acidic, dry and lingering aftertaste and a true joy to quaff.

12-23-2002 16:49:53 | More by Gusler
MJR

Missouri

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours crystal clear, pale gold with a HUGE head...I had to fight to keep it in the glass! The head turns lumpy and marshmello-like after a minute or two. Lots of little carbonation bubbles constantly fight their way to the top.

Smell: Aroma of fresh Saaz hops. I've heard their smell described as 'sea air.' Sounds about right... Very light grassy, earthy aroma as well. Great nose on this brew!

Taste: Starts off with a strong bitter, hoppy note that never goes away. Faint taste of a grassy, earthy character, with a bit of floral spiciness. I'm not usually a Pilsner kinda' guy, but this beer is fantastic!

Mouthfeel: Light, dry, and crisp. Goes down supernaturally smooth.

Drinkability: Outstanding. This beer is far from being one of my favorite styles, but this one is incredible. I could drink these all night on my deck on a hot summer night.

12-12-2002 11:56:58 | More by MJR
mzwolinski

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Crystal clear, light gold in color, with heavy carbonation and a thin, foamy head. Husky malt aroma with floral hoppy notes. The hops really come through in the taste, though. This is the first beer I've had where I've really understood the "fresh grass" description of hop aroma. The Saaz hops used here have a very huge herbal, flowery taste to them. The German pilsner malt is also quite heavy, making this beer fairly full-bodied and chewy, especially for the style. Finishes dry, and leaves you with an aftertaste where the hops finally start to show their bitter/spicy side -- a very nice compliment to the lingering sweetness of the malt. A very aggressive and pleasant interpretation of a distinctively *European* Pilsner. It would be very easy to drink a lot of these in a row. Thanks to Nerofiddled for the trade

12-05-2002 16:23:57 | More by mzwolinski
feloniousmonk

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Huge, lacey, white head, sparkling foam.
Aroma has citrus notes, lemon zest, flowers, and pineapple.
Delightfully light texture, long, welcome finish. Truly this must be the thinking man's "lawnmower beer". Possesses a certain zing that reminds me somehow of Duvel. I'm normally an ale man, but I would never pass up on
this pilsner. Are the fine folks of Downington, PA aware that among their modest ranks walk these brewing gods disguised as mortals?

12-03-2002 14:01:09 | More by feloniousmonk
MaineBeerMan

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Pale gold in color with a big head of pure white foam, seemed maybe a little too foamy, as I had to stop pouring and wait for the head to settle a bit before finishing the pour, even with a 16 oz. glass and an easy pour with a well chilled bottle.
The smell was rich in flowery, herbal hops, with some sweet breadlike malt in the background.
Medium bodied with a good bit of tingly carbonation, typical Pilsener sweetness at first, then the hops take over with a vengeance. Hop character is very herbal/flowery before a drying bitterness on the finish. Not much in the way of malt flavor, just enough to know it's in there, the hops are king in this brew.
Overall quite a drinkable beer, tastes like a European pils, with an American IPA hoppiness.

11-30-2002 21:06:23 | More by MaineBeerMan
SchmichaelJ

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Perhaps I was a bit overzealous to taste this one...my first attempt to drink and review ended with my underestimating the Prima's carbonation. Despite my attempts at a nice pour, half of the bottle shot from the glass and ended up in my lap. My second attempt at pouring was much more successful. It yielded a cloudy, hazy appearance with a light golden color. An excellent head formed (1/2-inch or so), with very nice retention. A luxuriant hop aroma was apparent, as well as a faint maltiness. The pronounced hop bitterness attacked my tongue first, followed by a nice malt foundation. I was really pleased by the taste and excellent overall pilsener characteristics. The Pils has a very full and somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and the fizziness seemed to magnify in my mouth. This filling carbonation made me want to wait a little while longer between beers, but the Pils remains a very drinkable, enjoyable lager.

11-27-2002 17:53:24 | More by SchmichaelJ
maxpower

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is my kind of pills, golden color , nice foamy white head, leaves a lace in my glass, hoppy aroma for a pils, balanced flavors in this nectar , it has a very tasty hop bite and finishes dry.

11-23-2002 12:45:49 | More by maxpower
AaronRed

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

I poured this into a nice pilsner glass and it looked great. Straw yellow and clear with a nice rocky white heat on top. It has a very clean smell- a little hoppy. But this beer is all about the taste. Crisp and flavorful, I kept thinking I was drinking a German or Czech. beer. Wonderful bitterness at first, but mellows nicely. Overall a supreme drinking beer.

11-21-2002 19:02:56 | More by AaronRed
Suds

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Wow. I guess that I didn't have high expectations, but this is an extraordinarily good beer. Golden-straw colored with a puffy white head...the aroma is slightly herbal and resinous. The taste is incredible. I think it's the hoppiness that did it for me....a big hop bitterness and a dry finish seem to come out of nowhere. This isn't my style, but the beer is fantastic.

11-18-2002 18:23:16 | More by Suds
rotsaruch

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

An almost clear golden color with a white, creamy head that holds up fairly well. The hops aroma is very noticable, but not overwhelming with a faint spicy character. It has distinctive refreshing and crisp taste. The hop flavor is plentiful and pleasing with a malty presense in the background. The finish is big and hoppy, satisfying beyond belief on the hottest summer day. An impressive German-style pilsner.

11-18-2002 16:53:45 | More by rotsaruch