Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,699 | Reviews: 2,026
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer poured a dull, clear yellow into a pint glass. Not too bright, like many other pils I have seen, but this is a good thing in my opinion. A sudsy white head rest atop the brew. The aroma was grassy, earthy, and just a tad sweet.

This is a fantastically different and exciting pilsener. There is an unexpected, sharp bitter herbal hop flavor up front, along with some citrus and grassy characteristics. The malt backbone the exposes itself as being full-flavored and without a hint of skunkiness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, and carbonated enough to keep it excitable on the palate.

This is a highly drinkable pilsener, and one of my favorites I've ever tried. I would wholly recommend this to anyone who enjoys a very fine pils. Good job, Victory.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

The color is a light, yellow straw-color. Very clear, but with a fluffy white head. Decent carbonation. Slightly above average-looking for a pilsner.

Smell is a nice combination of some sweet biscuity malt and a hint of wheat. An unusual hop presence; I'm shocked there is any at all! Rich, sweet smell for a lighter beer.

Bitter German malt flavor is actually delicious. Combines bitterness with a sweet, flowery malt as well. Some nice wheat, even a hint of berry. Hops are light, but they are there. Really rich compared to most pilsners.

Feel is bitter on the tongue. Thick for a pilsner, and a bit sandpapery. Still, a clean finish; bitter feel but no film. Fizzy as it warms. It's a lighter beer with some body and rich flavor. Big-time repeater for sure.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a clean yellow with a small white head that goes away quickly. A sweet european hop aroma is there. In the taste, a dry pils and a nice hop charcteristic. An aftertaste of a dry end and every so small hop. A good body, good flavor, and hops. This was the beer that made me know that I do enjoy a good pils now and again.

2.82/5  rDev -30%

12oz bottle. Pours a pale straw without much head. Not too much aroma to speak of. Flavour is bit of a letdown. I'm not getting much of the Saaz hops that everyone else speaks of. Aftertaste does not linger as long as preferred. Pilsners certainly have their place in my fridge, but this one isn't standing out for me sadly. Based on all the glowing reviews, I wonder if I got an off batch.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

This was poured from the bottle into a pilsner flute. It has a light golden straw-like color with a decent head that is well retained and settles into 'chunky', foamy pieces. The aroma is malty and grainy with traces of noble hops. The flavor is malty (triple decoction?) with noble hops present. It has a nice balanced flavor with a hoppy finish. It has a medium-light body with moderate carbonation to it.

Overall, this is a really tasty pilsner. You could have really put this past me as being made in Germany. For an American brewery, this is an outstanding pils. That said, it stands up to the pilsners of Europe, but I would like a tad more hops in the aroma for perfection. However, this might be solely a function of the freshness. I bet this is fantastic at the brewery from the tap! This is another great beer from Victory, my compliments.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Touted as one of the premier pilsners in the region, so I expected some good things out of this one and wasnt dissapointed.
Very clean looking pils, with great clarity, nice white frothy head that laced nicely on the glass.
Smell of medium roasted malts and slight hoppy notes of pine or citrus.
Taste was very good for this pilsner, with decent malt back balanced by a mild hop infusion. Mouthfeel was decent as well, although it could have been better.
Good, good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As pilsners go this is probably the best around, at least in my neck of the woods. It pours a golden color, a bit sharper than most pilsners. Smell is mild. It has that grainy pilsner taste, but goes down fairly smooth. Has a bit more hop flavor than most pilsners, but overall the taste is pretty smooth. Not the best Victory has to offer, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better pilsner. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I was hoping, but I think it's just because I don't like that grainy pilsnery taste.

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%

Draught version

Clear golden color with really decent and unexpected lacing all over the glass.

Smells of spicy grainy biscuit malt.

Flavor is mainly biscuit grainy malt with some earthy hop bitterness.

Noticed the flavor seemed muddy as it warmed. One of my favorite Pils, but I do prefer the bottles to this draught- would like to try a fresher tap though.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Beer #2 from the "Taste Victory" mixed 12 pack while I prep for an angel hair and turkeyball dinner.

A: clear, pale straw with thin white head- attractive

S: grassy ,earthy hops

T: hoppier than anticipated, crisp and dry

M: smooth, medium body but brawny for a pilsener

D: very. another hot weather quaffer.

Poured with vigor into the new Sam Adams glass.
This is a beer I will be seeing more of.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I've had this beer a few times but just got around to reviewing it, recently bought the newly available to my region anyway mixed 12 pack of beers from Victoy which included (Prima Pils, Hop Devil, and Golden monkey). I poured this beer into a pilsner glass it poured a beautiful golden color that left a thin white head on top. The body is clear, clean, and left only carbonated bubbles in the glass. The aroma is straw, hay, grass, earthy rustic peppery hops that really make this pilsner enjoyable. The taste is crisp, refreshing, balanced bitter bite with a lemon and honey fruitiness to the beer. I love lagers and due to the main offerings available here in the united states they get a bad wrap but this one helps debunk the myth that all lagers are flavorless, watery, beers. Cheers to Victory for another great offering.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

This one was served a light straw gold with a small but dense head of foam. Lace formed nicely on the sides of the glass.

Malts had some buiscuty aromas and flavors but mostly hops were present but not overpowering at all. Good balance. I did get the spicy/peppery/some floral notes in the nose and on the palate typical of german style pilsners. Dry and a little bitter in the finish. Not watery at all as one might think when looking at it in a glass.

High drinkability rating. Very refreshing. Great beer for warm summer days. Quaffable for sure.

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a straw yellow with a one finger head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is mild with faint grains and earthy hops. Taste is exceptional for the style. Very hoppy pilsner with definite floral hops that cleanse the palate and leave a strong aftertaste. Easily the best pilsner I have tasted. Light body is good for style. Easy to drink. Very nice beer.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

I'm not a huge fan of Pilsener style beers, but I'd heard this was a good one so I thought I'd try it for my 200th review.

Pours a light yellow into a pilsener glass with fair head that dissipates fairly quickly. Just a slight bit of lace remains on the glass.

Aromas are not that strong. Slightly hoppy, slightly sweet. A bit like cut grass.

Flavor definitely had a bitter bite to it, which I guess is characteristic of this style of beer. Didn't taste a lot of other flavors, though and it was quite one dimensional. Almost a bit waxy as well.

Mouthfeel was fairly light, but there was a bitter aftertaste that lingered longer than I cared for.

Overall, this was not a bad beer, and probably typical for the style.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Clear, summery golden. Quite fizzy, with a tiny bit of head and minimal lace.

Smell: Vaguely fruity and beery, to my undistinguished nose. Rather pleasant, though, if not all that complex.

Taste: Quite nice for a pilsner, a style that I usually don’t prefer but might grow into with this beer. Kinda tangy in the middle, and bitter towards the end, but it fades slightly into a maltier aftertaste. I also tasted some piney hops along the way. Refreshingly bubbly, too.

Drinkability: Pretty good, especially on a hot day. I can see myself having a couple of these for refreshment. It’s not incredibly complex, but if you’re looking for something refreshing that still has some flavor to it, this is a good bet.

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%

Victory never lets you down as this beer pours a pale yellow with a great head that leaves a nice lave around the glass. Aroma is lemony with freshly cut grass and earthy hops. Taste is refreshing, crisp and clean; in a word: perfect. Taste is slightly citrusy and the hops really shine though, this beer is teaming with them giving the beer a nice dry characteristic. There a nice sweetness at the end as it goes down. Easily the best American pilsner I have had, something the boys back in the fatherland would love.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

A-Pours a light yellow/gold with a small head that diminishes quickly and leaves a wispy thin slick on the beer. A steady stream of lace does dot the glass which helps things out.

S- a nice spict aroma permeates the nose. The malt provides a straw like base as well This is a very clean smelling beer.

T-Very crisp tasting beer. The hops are very strong here, a grassy, spicy noble taste. The bitterness cuts through everything here and leaves a nice bitterness behind. I would say the malt plays second fiddle here but as it warms the sweetness comes out more leaving a wonderful balance. I am also getting a little mineral taste as well.

M-Crisp, light body, great on a warm summer day.

D- This is hoppier than most pilseners and I generally dont get the noble hops in these quantities. This is however right up my alley. A very nice summer brew.

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a clear straw yellow. An aggressive pour left me with a small white head but it didn't last very long.

Smell is of noble hops. This beer really exemplifies that classic pilsner aroma.

Taste is slighty sweet. There are grassy notes. Most flavors are light and delicate like a pilsner should be. Spicy hops show up in the end. This beer feels light and crisp on the palate. Very refreshing.

This beer is tasty and refreshing. It is my first experience with it but I can definitely see it becoming a warm weather regular in my fridge.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a medium foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of hops, light malts and lager yeast and it’s very robust for the style.

T: The taste is starts out malty and sweet and then transitions into a little bit of fruitiness and a strong hops bitterness. There’s a very nice balance and the after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, I could see myself drinking quite a few of these over the course of an evening. I could also see myself choosing this beer to drink with a nice large meal. It’s a very good beer overall.

Let me start by saying: I am not a pilsner guy. That said, I really like this beer. It was immediately impressive. Lots of flavor. If you don't like pilsners but want to try something new, start with this one. Everything about this beer is good. Could easily satisfy any hophead's craving for hops, while not scaring away even the most devout BMC drinker.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance - Clear golden straw in color. 2+ finger foamy head that left lots of lacing.

Smell - Grassy, floral, herby, and hoppy.

Taste - The slight sweetness from the malt comes in at the beginning and immediately takes a backseat to the lemony hops - like a very hoppy lager. Very crisp yet smooth.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and prickly from the fairly high carbonation level. Light bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability - Excellent - goes down smooth. With its low ABV it is easily sessionable.

People say it is great outside on a hot day, I would argue it is equally good indoors on a hot day with the A/C on full blast. Good anytime brew. Good job, Victory.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pilsner glass on a hot summer day. Personally, not much of a pilsner fan in general.

A - Looks like a commercial (not a commercial beer, but like the beautiful shot that they set up in a studio.). Clear with 3 fingers of white heads leaves a little white lacing as it dissipates. Visible and active carbonation throughout.

S - Rich noble hops give it a clean, fresh hay-like character. Quite refreshing, dry scent.

T - Not my style of choice, but this is good. Very dry. Opens slightly sweet, but ends very dry with a fresh, noble hops flavor that reminds me of freshly cut grass.

M - Did I mention Dryness yet? It's got some active carbonation that makes it quite active as well.

D - A very nice beer, it's dryness may be a slight detriment to drinkability in some situations, but it's still quite enjoyable and quite drinkable.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. It probably won't become a session beer for me, but on a nice day in a hammock, I'd enjoy it. Something to judge quality Pilsners against.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

I do enjoy a good Pilsner and this one is right in there with the better choices. It is a bright golden color with very active, medium sized carbonation. The head is modest but holds throughout with good lacing, very solid head. The aroma is pretty faint, just a bit of mild hops perhaps, not sure. The flavor is also very mild, not as definitive as say an Urquel or other European favorites. More of a wheat quality to the taste, a suggestion of lemon. No skunkiness here. Fairly light and crispy with a slightly creamy feel that delivers the flavor. Clearly a quality brew but I would prefer a little more flavor in this recipe to fully deliver. A fine choice for a refreshing beer, but I think you can find a few with more personality than this.

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh, NC

A - A typical looking pilsener color, straw/piss/bud sort of color, but decent head that fades to some good lacing.

S - Very light malts, slightly pungent with some hop oils in the background.

T - Light tasting, but lots of hop character, slightly earthy, very good.

M - Maybe slightly over carbonated, the hops leave one's mouth very dry.

D - Easy to drink, goes down well, hops might make it fall slightly.

Who would have thought? A pils with hops? After I had this on tap I've picked up a six pack and I think I may drink it regularly.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I got this in the Victory 12-pack, and was quite pleasantly surprised. I first had this poured into a regular pint glass on a muggy summer day and it was perfect. The beer came out pale, pale yellow with a small head that lasted the whole time, though it left no noticeable lacing. Mild is the best way to describe the smell, with light malt and grassy hops. It felt just like a pilsner, at least my idea of one, should feel, with prickling carbonation and refreshing crispness. All four of these from the 12-pack went down easily on a sweaty day, and in not much time. Prima is as classy as a pils gets.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

I am not a big fan of Pilsner's, but I had to try this. Victory is by far my favorite micro brewer that has moved into SC since we popped the cap. A solid brewer!

A. Nice clear brew with a 2 finger head that dissipates slowly.

S. Nice malty hoppy balanced smell.

T. The smell follows through. This is a well balanced hop/malt pilsner.

D/ I have tried many Pilsners to see why I have been so down on this style. I must say this is hands down the best of the style. It beats Pilsner Urquel (the quintisential Pilsner) hands down. Still not an everyday style, but definitely a great example.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked up a growler for a visit to my parent's for dinner. It was gone before dinner was even started.

Pours a nice golden straw color. White head is nice for a bit. Lacing was minimal.

Aroma is of light malts and some fruity hops. Taste is real nice, malty and has a slightly bitter hop finish that the American macros would try to avoid I'm sure.

Light bodied and easily drinkable. I could have done the growler myself but my dad and bro would not have been happy.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company