Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,825 | Reviews: 2,051
4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I am drinking this from a bottle one day before the drink by date.
Nose has an initial shot of sulfur but it quickly dissipates, faint DMS, some pale malt, grainy.
Palate: grain, a touch of sweet with a pleasant bitter emphasis on the end. Good balance between the malt and hops, clean and crisp. Dries out on the finish – rounded and well balanced.
Brilliant gold, 2” finely bubbled white foam cap, diminishes at medium speed but rouses back up, lacy.
Well carbonated, medium light body, refreshing, well made.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Nose: Sweet, perfumy, malty, similar to Pilsner Urquell
Taste: Unlike Pilsner Urquell, it is a lot hoppier. Malt is about the same as PU, but the hops linger and eventually overpower the other flavors. Above average carbonation. About as light as you would expect from a Pislner, but it seems quirky because this level of hops is usually prominent in heavier beers.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Bottle poured into a Barrelhouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours light golden yellow with a few visible floaties and a thin white head that disappears.

S:Pretty straight to the point, little malt sweetness backed with nice floral hops.

T: Crisp floral hops, a little grassy with some lemon zest, well backed with just enough malt.

M: Light body, lighter on the carbonation.

O: Was quite happy to stumble into this one (normally not carried anywhere near my area). Pretty refreshing and drinkable brew to help beat the heat.

BB 24 Dec 14 bottle at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of malt and maybe a hint of fruit
Head small (< 2 cm), white, frothy, very rapidly diminishing to a 1-2 mm ring and layer
Lacing poor – rare small island of tiny bubbles
Body very light yellow, clear
Flavor begins extremely bitter; this bitterness lasts past the beer and completely overpowers any other flavors; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl, no fruity esters.
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 2.75, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 2.9375. Final weighted score: 2.975
There is no hint of malt after the nose and there is no lasting dense head or lacing. The bitterness is more than expected or wanted, probably too much for the style.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a 1/2" rocky white head. Lots of effervescence. Clearer than the last time I had it.

Aroma: Generally spicy pilsner-like smell. Smells pretty similar to Summerfest, perhaps a touch spicier.

Taste: Hoppy arrival, hoppy across mid-palate. Big, bitter finish - dry. Painfully bitter on the finish (for the style).

Mouthfeel: Mid-to-lightweight body; a touch less carbonation than I typically associate with the style.

Overall: This is lightyears better than the last bottle of this I had. That one was clearly off (always check bottle dates, and thank you Victory for having them). Still, if the goal is a clear, crisp, easy-drinker, this is off the mark. The hops on the finish are just too strong. In terms of enjoyment, I'd put Mama's Lil' Yella and Summerfest (both Czech) ahead of this.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one of my go-to beers. Hoppy but not an IPA. Mellow but not a Budweiser. You can take it tailgating or to an oyster roast. Just an excellent, all-around beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Love Victory and this is one of the highest-rated pilsner beers. Here goes:

A: Clear gold with a two-inch head that leaves a good amount of lacing. The beer is also well-carbonated. Overall, perfect for the style. 4.5/5.0

S: Pilsner hops and light, grainy malt. Pilsner hops impart a grassy, straw-like smell. Can also detect some biscuit. Very refreshing, but the smells were somewhat muted and could have been better. 4/5

T: Light malt lingers on the front of the tongue and the hops are more apparent at the rear of the palate. Pilsner hops impart tastes of grass, hay (lots of hay), and lighter spices. Overall very light and refreshing. Great pilsner taste. 4.5/5.0

M: Very light, crisp, and well-carbonated. Great. 4.75/5

O: Very good pilsner. Should've had it colder, though.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Everyone has different flavor filters. Mine says this: It's good. On the hoppy side for a pills for my liking. Pleasent earthy flavor. I liked it. Will drink again. I prefer Skrimshaw for an American Pills but this one shows up quite well with a meal. Refreshing and crisp.

The best Pilsner that I have ever had! The hops are perfect and finished very dry.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Too hoppy for my taste, but if you are looking for a hoppy pilsner, this is your beer.

3.71/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a very clean straw color with a rich, long lasting head and outstanding lacing. The aroma is a good combination of malt with citrus hop notes. The initial flavor is hop dominated with good malt flavor in the middle and a long lasting dry but very pleasant slightly bitter finish. The carbonation level is perfect and held well. I started this beer well chilled and the flavors really came out well. This is a very refreshing beer that I paired with mild Italian sausage and it was a good combination.

If you like pilsner style beers this one is certainly worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

A - 5. Just a beautiful crystal clear straw with many bubbles. 1/2" large bubble head from easy-modedate pour.

S - its awesome. I haven't tasted it yet at this point in filling out the review but the exceptional appearance and smell compelled me to review this beer fully, so here goes...

T - dry. Very hoppy for a pilsner. More bitter than sweet per style. Not bad, but unfortunately very let down. Looks and smells great but only an average beer, probably below average and wrongfully classified pilsner.

M - nothing great, nothing poor. 3.75, its pretty drinkable.

O - 3.5. Points docked for tasting far more an IPA than a pilsner.

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%

On draft at Buen Apetito Mexican Restaurant in Waterville, Maine. Served in a 16-ounce shaker glass.

Appearance - bubbly, clear, and yellow;

Smell - Slight floral hop aroma that grew as the lager warmed;

Taste - Dry and refreshing with a floral hop taste in the finish;

Mouthfeel - thoroughly carbonated and not watery;

Overall - One of the best lagers that I've had. This is what green bottled Euro beers should probably taste like if they weren't always skunked.

1.46/5  rDev -63.8%

I recently tried it when in the UK and I am seriously surprised that something like this is sold. It's pretty much like a homebrewer's first pils. It is nowhere near the subtley balanced flavours other examples such as Pilsner Urquell display.

The taste is quite harsh, steely. The body is way too thin and lacks just a little bit of the sweetness that is necessary for even the dry beers like "Flensburger" or "Jever".

I'd go back to the drawing board with this one...

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Nearly transparent pale yellow hue with a bubbly bleach white head that quickly fizzles down to a small cap, but leaves some lacing in its wake. Good for the style, I would say.

S: More hop-heavy than I was expecting. A nice floral aroma atop a platform of pilsner malt. Not much according to my nose. Short, sweet, and to the point!

T: Oooh, this is nice and hoppy, by pilsner standards. A lovely floral profile meddled together with some bready sweetness from the malt. Perfectly balanced from the start and through the middle, but the finish fades out with a hint of bitterness that's just really hitting the spot for me.

M: Pilsners aren't known for their ostentatious mouth presence, but Prima Pils clocks in towards the upper-end of the spectrum for the style. Solid medium body with the perfectly level of carbonation. Crisp, smooth, and refreshing. Drinks like a goddamn champ.

O: I'll admit that I'm a few steps away from a pilsner hater. They're just not my thing and I've accepted that I'm not going to like every beer style. I picked up Prima Pils for two reasons, honestly. First off, my pop is a huge fan of pilsners and lagers and this is one of the most praised (American) German pils around. And secondly, Victory is a local brewery that offers several beers that I adore, so I felt obligated to at least entertain their pilsner offering. I'm almost reluctant to admit that I love this beer. It's not one of my dearly beloved IPAs or stouts, but this beer, quite frankly, is effin' delicious. It's light, yet flavorful. It's top-tier, yet available. And given that summer is only midway through, you can bet this will be the beer of choice in my family BBQ coolers.

This is my first review.
A - I poured this bottle into a Pilsner glass. Slight head, had a decent carbonation and a wonderful clear golden liquid. Head was thin but remained there for awhile.
S - The aroma was that of what you would look for in a good pilsner. Citrus, biscuit and a nice slight hop aroma.
T - The taste was balanced. Citrus, malt, biscuit and a piney hop taste right at the end.
M - Carbonation was right on point. Well balanced. The balance of malt and hops was really good.
O - Overall, I am very pleased with this beer. I don't tend to like pilsner as much as other styles but this one got my attention. I wouldn't turn one down. Thankfully they are offered year round and Victory is located in the state I live in. Definitely bringing more of this home and it might make an appearance at my wedding in September.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A good overall Pilsener. Smooth taste and easy drinking. Crisp taste with an overall light feeling to it. Ideal for a hot summer day. Not to nit-pick, but the price is a bit high compared to many other beers. Still, very enjoyable- I wouldn't turn on down!

3.47/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

brown bottle poured into a pilsner glass
a: Clear golden yellow with fine light to average carbonation. A gentle pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates after about 5 minutes leaving a decent amount of lacing which holds nicely to the glass. Pools of foam also tend to remain on the surface of the beer.

s: Nothing sticks out. A little biscuit balanced by a very subtle floral hop aroma.

t: Again, well balanced with a slight but noticeable hop bite. Smooth maltiness provides a hint of chewiness to the beer. Hops on the finish which is appealing as it lingers however I'm not getting floral as in the nose. Not nearly as hoppy as some have opined and definitely not citrusy. Maybe slightly more piny or herbal.

m: Very light body with the bubbles providing a slight tingle. Again I notice a "fine" quality to the bubbles. Doesn't look like much but I kind of like it. I think this works nicely against the malt too, tying the flavor profile together. I would like a bit more more carbonation in this beer.

o: Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with Prima especially after reading that it is among the absolute best in the style. Same as with Sierra Nevada Summerfest which is nice of course but also fails to impress me in any way. Certainly nothing bad to report but while interesting, also a little underwhelming at its price.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a crystal clear, golden yellow in color with a half inch of thick, creamy head atop. Carbonation levels look average. Head retention is excellent and there is noticeable lacing on the glass edges as you drink. A beautiful, classic pilsner appearance leads me to believe this one will be smooth and refreshing.

S: Sweet grains and grass dominate the aroma with notes of floral hops, light fruits and a tiny bit of cream corn. I suppose you could say a bit soapy. A truly classic pilsner aroma, I could use a little less grass/astringency on the nose, but spot on otherwise.

T: Spicy, floral hops up front with some grass. Sweet, pale malts and cream corn dominate the middle. The two eventually marry in the finish which is crisp with bitter grass and sweet grains. The bitterness remains on the tongue for some time, but is pretty tame.

M: Light bodied with prickly carbonation, this one goes down smooth and easy with a slight amount of cream and chewiness. Crisp, dry and sessionable.

O: Picked this up on a whim and was not disappointed. What I found here was a classic European pilsner done American style with a slightly amplified hop profile, though if I were to complain I'd say the malt profile was a bit lackluster. Still, you could do far worse if you're looking for a good American pilsner. This is the first brew I've reviewed from this brewery and I'm pretty impressed thus far. Cheers!

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

tiny bubbles and a light white head, golden transparent body.
sweet fruity , and clean smell.
hoppy with a sweet finish.
as it warms up there are some grass notes in the flavor too.
perfect summer after noon beer, definitely hits the beer spot. a victory for victory.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Very light yellow.. clear see thru.. the nose is a sweet cracker, light skunk hop.. the taste follows with less sweetness and more of the skunk spice hop.. simple malt profile and balance of hops.. thin and prickly.. good pils though i have some slightly better.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I randomly grabbed this one at the end of work a week ago and I have to say, I fell in love with it! Totally not at all what I expected in the best way possible! It pours thin and clear with a light golden tone and a tall foamy head. Smells very nice with a smooth citrus kick and a light piney undertone. I was completely surprised when I first tasted it! Its crisp and vibrant with a smooth tone of malts. I definitely tasted notes of pine and citrus from those hops! Altogether, its an amazing beer!

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

Light yellow color, almost no head, smells like cheap beers I drank back in the day.

Like hop devil but a little less pine and bitterness. A pilsner by name but this isn't fooling anyone... its an IPA. Meh. Another highly rated beer completed. Won't be drinking many more of these bitter and piney beers. They just don't do it for me.

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Again, looks like a regular Pils, deep golden straw under a snow white head.

Aroma: Smells Pilsy, lots of sweet Pils malts, quite nice, just like a German Pils, with Noble hops lingering in the background.

Flavor:
Up front: Nice bitterness, quite hefty but not overpowering. I get a good deal of tartness/astringency here, too, with a typical German bittersweetness.

Mid: Again, same as up front, but even stronger. Not much Pils malt sweetness on the sides, as I'd expect in a German Pils; rather, it's really tart to bitter here, going into citrusy.

Back: Here's more bitterness and tartness, but still not much Pils malt sweetness. mmm... this is more a typical Märican Pils if I don't get any Pils malt sweetness soon. Still, it's laden bitterness, which I like, but it's really just a one-note wonder.

Aftertaste: Bitter bitter bitter, bitingly so.

Mouthfeel: Perfect like a real Pils, nice and thick, but still crisp and biting.

Overall: This beer really isn't much better than any of the others I've had. It's got lots of bitterness, astringency and a tad of citrus, but not much else. It's powerfully bitter, which I like, but I keep waiting for a sweet PILS malt to show up and tell me it's something more than a hop-sicle, that it's a PILS with a enough Pils malt to be a balanced beer. Hate to say it, but I'm not terribly impressed, except with the amount of Noble hop bitterness they packed in without making me feel totally overpowered, though it's nearing that limit the more I drink it. But wait, I'm getting now some pils malt sweetness somewhere, but it's in and out and not a major component of this beer.

Again, it's kinda like playing tennis, having a killer forehand,... and not having a back-hand. It ain't gonna get you far as a tennis player without being balanced. I'm sorry, Jack, I really wanted to wow this beer, but it's not nearly as good as the best from Kneitiner, Faust, or Mahrs, or whichever I said I loved. It reminds me a lot of the beers I reviewed from Franken and said were hop-forward, but even they had Pils malt lurking all over the place to keep my interest. This bitterness of the VictoryPrima Pils is hard to take after I get to the end of the glass and I keep waiting for the sweet in the bittersweetness that is wonderful Pils to rescue me. Sorry, a 4 of 5, though maybe the best I've had here this go-round.

Maybe the solution is to make a new beer style, the Märican Pils, defined as being super Noble hoppy and virtually no Pils malt sweetness.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into a Pilsner glass.
Enjoy by Jul 20 2012.

A - A dense cloud of white foam rests on top of the crystal clear golden straw yellow beer. Fantastic retention keeps the pile afloat, lightly applying collars of lace to the glass.

S - Enticing, crisp mineral sulfur traces flow through out the beer while a hint of lemon citrus comes from herbal and floral German hops. Crisp overall, a sweet pilsner malt base brings Prima Pils, one of the closest-to-classic American-brewed pilsners to a close.

T - Intensely crisp, Prima Pils abandons the majority of the pilsner malt sweetness that was in the nose for a plain pale malt that bows to the hop additions; herbal and floral with back-end citrus zest while plenty of sulfur still carries through into the flavor as well.

M - Bone dry, Victory's Prima Pils has a balanced but bitter finish that briefly lingers on the tongue before subsiding to faint sulfur and citrus. Light-bodied with moderate-to-high carbonation, this beer is easily quaffable.

O - Victory's Prima Pils arrests nearly all malt interaction, focusing heavily on the German noble hops and their delicate floral and herbal characteristics. Dry and balanced towards bitterness, Prima Pils is a crisp, refreshing beer that's hard not to gulp down and a stand-out among American-brewed pilsners.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company