Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,027 | Hads: 4,887
2.66/5  rDev -34.8%

This beer was purchased as a single from Corks and Kegs - Poured into Samuel Smith Imperial pint.

Poured great with a bit too much carb and was a urine like yellow color. Head and lacing were good though.
Smell was not good at all for me. It smelled acidic and pungent.
Tasted about how it smelled and was not pleasant.
Mouthfeel was smooth and easy as well as being a drinkable beer. (385 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a lovely shade of gold. Has a dense, tight white head, which drops pretty fast, leaving no lace.

Smells of spicy hops, and malt.

I taste mainly spicy hops, with a restrained malt flavor. Somewhat earthy as well, grassy flavor coming through. Decent flavor, although not really my cup of tea.

Good full mouthfeel. A little chewy, which I wasn't expecting, but it seems to work.

Overall, I wasn't impressed, although I would drink this over just about any mass marketed lager. It's not that it's bad, just not what I enjoy. Maybe my palate hasn't evolved to this level of subtlety yet. I'll try it again down the road, and see. (636 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.6%

This is the most highly rated German Pils, I had to seek it out and give it a try, afterall I grew up drinking German Pilsners and they are my favorite style.

I'm a self proclaimed master at judging this style and to start on a good note, the malts could not be anymore perfect...well done, really a nice grain bread in the malts without being sweet, only the best of this style can accomplish that. Without argument, this is a super beer but as a German Pilsner, it falls short of what this style is supposed to be.

I can quickly smell and taste the fatal flaw in this beer....HOPS!!! Americans can never seem to get this right. Too much hops and not the proper hops to work with the malts. Good German Pilsners have a spicy and grassy, bitter hop backbone that compliments the malts. This beer has a citrus rind bitter hoppyness that overpowers the malts and leaves the sting of cheap hop pellets in the aftertaste. It's supposed to be a German Pils, not an IPA!

This is slightly paler yellow than other Pils, with a white head that leaves little lacing. Not true to the style but still a tasty drink and one would have no trouble drinking quite a lot of these. This is only so highly rated because so many Americans are hopheads. If one wants a real German Pils, grab a Radeberger!

Still quite pleased with this beer but would not buy it to satisfy a craving for a German Pils. I would rate this very highly as an IPA but if you would excuse me, I'm going to go get a Radeberger. :D (1,491 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance – Clear, light yellow color with a frothy white head and light lacing.

Aroma – I detected a hint of lemon rind in the smell.

Palate – Lively carbonation that is a little rough.

Flavor – Smooth taste with a light citrus hop finish.

Final thoughts – This is not really my style of beer but I can tell you that I’ve had much better pilsners. (363 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance: Poured a nice golden color with a little haziness. Thin white head that dissipated pretty quick.

Aroma: Had a bit of an odd smell. Some hay and some citrus from the hops, but something else that I can't quite identify, but seemed off.

Taste: Not too bad at first, a bit of hoppiness, but left a bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: Light to medium body.

Overall: Best by date well past and probably contributed to a lower quality. I expect more from Victory Brewing. I've always enjoyed their beers and needless to say, I was a bit disappointed that I had picked up a beer with an "Enjoy By" date from a little over a month ago. Will definitely have to try this again. (677 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance - Thick lacey head. Very clear golden yellow hue.

Smell - Very hoppy, sharp.

Taste - Bitter. Not as rich nor as smooth as one would expect from a great pilsener. The amount/type of hops in this beer would make an IPA blush.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Refreshing. Dry finish. (288 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

Extremely hoppy smell. The head disappeared quickly (although well carbonated.). Color is very light golden. I am getting no malty flavors or aroma's whatsover.

I enjoy most pilsners but find the extreme hoppiness of this bier to be a distraction. The aftertaste and mouthfeel are absolutely attrocious in my opinion.

This is not a bier I enjoy but I can see why it is popular with the crowd. It is original in it's approach and not a tasteless macro crap.

Just not for me.

John (490 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a pilsner.

crystal clear golden yellow with an inch of foamy white head.

aroma is light; notes of skunk, sugar, lemons and floral hops.

heavy carbonation with a light mouthfeel. crisply bitter taste with an overall refreshing taste. simple, straightforward pilsner; somewhat boring. not even close to as good as Victory's others. (357 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.4%

I had this on draft at the houlihans in parsippany. I read the other reviews before ordering and thought I was getting more of a fruity beer. It's just a regular old pilsner. Certainly not bad but not anything to get excited about (230 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured into a mug

Appearance: This beer pours a yellowish/golden liquid white pillowy head.Lots of laceing on the sides of my glass.

Aroma: The nose is of piney,woody,hops,and old malty scents.This beer is also a bit skunky to me.

Taste: The palate is of,much like the nose,pine,woods,slight hops,the old malts in the finish and even a slight buttered corn flavoring on the tongue.I would even adventure to say a little soy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is simple,thin,slightly watery,and bubbly in the finish.

Drinkability: I would not recommend this beer.The price is high for this style.But, if your buying i might have one or two of these.Overall, just not my cup of tea.

-Cheers2Beers (717 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

This is a very thin, light bodied beer. It poured out with a decent head. The color is a cloudy light straw shade. The smell is not much different than a macro. The taste is extremely watered down. You can detect a very slight hop taste. The mouthfeel is on the edge of revolting. The drinkability could not be very high. A brewer such as Victory just plain out missed the mark with this beer. (393 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

Reviewed 4/18/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a very light golden yellow colored body with almost no head, white, but diminishing. And has a very malty aroma. An just okay hoppy malty smooth balanced flavor, with a slightly malty aftertaste. Just an okay beer, average. (264 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This pours a very clear pale sunshine yellow. Effervescent with a loose head that dissipates in a hurry. The nose is dominated by honey and nectar. It smells almost too thick/sweet. A slightly nutty aroma comes out with a swirl, tending towards almond. A slight biscuit is way in the back. The flavor starts with bitter grass then moves to a nutty white bread. There is a nectar like bitterness from noble hops, then it gets really bitter and slightly piney. Definitely out of the style, as it lingers for a while. Feel is very slightly watery with a balanced finish.

This is just too grassy and bitter. Chlorophyll comes to mind. (631 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%

12oz bottle. Pours a pale straw without much head. Not too much aroma to speak of. Flavour is bit of a letdown. I'm not getting much of the Saaz hops that everyone else speaks of. Aftertaste does not linger as long as preferred. Pilsners certainly have their place in my fridge, but this one isn't standing out for me sadly. Based on all the glowing reviews, I wonder if I got an off batch. (390 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I chilled it down before popping the top and pouring it into my 50 cl mug. I was very interested in trying this after reading glowing reviews, so it looked good in the glass before the first taste.

It had a light beer taste to it with a zing of hops that was nearly overpowering in grapefruit type of flavors. Was I drinking the hyped beer that I had read too much about? I could see others liking it and a tasting draft might be its saving grace for me at another time, but it was not for me with grilled salmon on the table as I reached for the fridge for another choice. (576 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

Finally my local grocery store carries this! Probably for a limited time. 12 oz bottle, awesome hoppy-green label(love their design). First of all 99% of the pilseners i have had i have hated so lets see what happens with this much loved brew. This poured a light yellow gold color with a nice but small white head. Mediocre lacing. Awesome stringing of tiny bubbles. The smell is not the most impressive to me, sweet yet simple hops. Clean. This has some nice yet very light and sharp hop flavor. Tastier than most pilsners i have had by far, but it certainly tastes very euro. This is drinkable. but i would take Brooklyn's Pilsener over this any day. It tastes similar to ass macro pilseners, its just that you can tell more time and better ingredients into it because there are no disgusting chemical aftertastes. But still, as As SMF said below "this is a functional beer"...at this price I am looking for more than functional. Average to me. (947 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Been on a huge pils kick for summer and had high expectations for this Victory favorite.
Served from bottle into a pint glass, poured a nice even head , leaving some nice lacing behind.
Color and appearance were right on the mark for this style, light golden with just the right amount of "frost".
Smell was also very enticing with great citrus and hop notes.
Taste starts off very smooth and hints of the hops and citrus, but its the after taste that turned me off. Like a couple of other reviews it was almost chemical or mediciney in nature.
Thought it might be the hoppyness at first , but continued throught the glass...

Not sure - maybe a bad or old bottle? Perhaps worth another try.... (698 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured a pale gold topped by a foamy head with very good retention.Aroma was slightly grassy with heavy citrus overtones.After everything I've heard about this brew I expected something much better , I was ready for a treat, but actually I found this disappointing.I thought the taste was way too acidic and tangy ,kinda like orange juice.I expect a pilner too be much smoother and more balanced. An o.k.beer ..but just not my taste. (433 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -29.7%

Pepe La Peu! I thought that I got a skunked sixer until I read several reviews that came to the same conclusion I did -- someone dropped a skunk into this brew.

Dude, where does this overwhelming skunkiness come from? I've never smelled a beer where it was this strong.

Luckily the skunk is less apparent in the taste than the smell. But nevertheless, my second impression of this beer (first being the skunk) was "I sure don't miss lagers."

Hate to say it, but to me this one tasted like one part Miller High Life, one part skunk and one part hops.

...and this from the folks that brought us Storm King! How disappointing. (627 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Mostly clear yellow body with a faint white head that dissipates quickly and minimal lacing. Has a distinctly sweet pale malty aroma. I'm not a big lager drinker, esepcially nto pilsners. This smells like a somewhat refined version of Heineken. More going on with the taste, though I am afraid not in a great way. Some nutty and tartness, but also a real medicinal feel. A good amount of residual biterness for the style, though lacking any definable hop-like citric, floral or earthy flavors. Light, effervescent, watery on the mouth. Very dry. For me, maybe the problem is the style. This is probably a great pilsner, given the ratings, but not for me. The flavor profile is very limited, and the bitter dryness, without any real hop or malt burst just gives the beer an unbalanced and unappetizing feel. I won't be back. (823 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Since returning from my first trip to Germany, I been in search to replicate the experience of enjoying a German Pilsener. The Prima Pils fits that category.

Pils tend to have a short shelf life and maybe the bottle was dated but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.

A- Pours a straw or pale yellow that has a slightly hazy hue with a hardy medium to heavy head.
S- The balance was lacking overly floral and with some hops upfront followed by slightly sweet, grainy malts.
T- Tastes clean, and crisp upfront, a little to bitterness in the middle, finishes light, dry and sweet.
M- Medium + bodied for a pilsner with medium to heavy carbonation.
D- drinkable and not too filling. (689 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance: Nice, unfiltered look and an enourmous head that sticks around for a while. Be careful pouring this one.
Smell: My first impression was of wine-like acidity, but a closer inspection revieled fresh hop tones.
Taste: Acidic sourness uncommon in other pilsners I've tried. I like a grassy pilsner but this one is way too grassy. Maybe a result of the whole flower European hops that were used. It has a very fresh malt character that's difficult to describe, but it conflicts with the hops. Good sweetness is welcome. Overall, it's like a mild and lightly hopped fruit-wine. Unique, but not my favorite. A pilsner should be much more subtle than this.
Mouthfeel: Light in the mouth with appropriate carbonation.
Drinkability: In my oppinion it's way more overwhelming than a pilsner should be, no to mention way more expensive. (840 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -28.4%

nice golden pour - good start.. smells like hops and pine. Hmm.. tastes like hops and pine. I'm conflicted, I thought I was drinking a pilsner, not an IPA???

I'm not sure how people can call this a pilsner with a straight face. for the style, the bitterness and profile are way to extreme/off. It's getting really annoying how americans add hops to every damn style of beer and then rave about how awesome it is. nuking beers with hops does not make it better.
I wonder how i'd feel if this beer went by a different name, maybe just Victory Prima. perhaps I'd be more open to liking it, but as it's currently named and marketed, it's a bastardization of the style. (666 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.
A pale yellowy-tan color, with a quickly dissipating white head.
A pleasant if somewhat generic beer smell, nothing jumps out. The taste is tangy, a citrusy bite, but not sweet at all. Hops bitterness is present in the taste and a bit strong in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is thicker than the pale color led me to expect.
If you like the type this may be a good beer for you, but I don't care for the bitter aftertaste that hangs on the tongue. I won't be going back to this one again, but that's just my taste. I wouldn't stop anyone else from drinking it. (590 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a light cloudy golden color with nice sized white foamy head. Weak aroma with hints of hops, wheat and citrus. Bland flavor of pilsner malt, subtle hops and straw. Easy drinking session beer that is a little too bland and watered down for my taste. (254 characters)

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company