Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001

ca. 44 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,821 | Reviews: 2,050
4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

I've been waiting to try this one for a long time. Read a lot about this beer and I love everything else I've tried from Victory.

A=Light golden color. What I'd expect from a Pils

S=I love the hops. This smells great.

T=Taste is phenomenal. I'm mostly used to very hoppy beers being IPA s. Lots of bitterness from the hops which works for me. Not much maltiness that I can detect.

M=Lots of carbonation. Feels formidable.

Overall= Only picked up two of these but I could definitely see this being a session beer. Only other Pils I've ever enjoyed this much is Pilsner Urquell. Miller Lite should be banned from calling their beer "Pilsner" Another solid offering from Victory.

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%

On draft at Buen Apetito Mexican Restaurant in Waterville, Maine. Served in a 16-ounce shaker glass.

Appearance - bubbly, clear, and yellow;

Smell - Slight floral hop aroma that grew as the lager warmed;

Taste - Dry and refreshing with a floral hop taste in the finish;

Mouthfeel - thoroughly carbonated and not watery;

Overall - One of the best lagers that I've had. This is what green bottled Euro beers should probably taste like if they weren't always skunked.

A: beautiful golden god. Nice white permanent head

S: very bready forward, biscuit, grassy, faint lemon

T: bitter citrus bread and biscuit. Sweet bread. Grass in a good way. Faint citrus.

M: very bubbly, light, crisp, coats the mouth nicely and leaves in a hurry. Makes me want to keep drinking it

O: the definitive american pilsner that will have good competitors but none cant beat. Rating is based on american pilsner and not necessarily the foreign style. Excellent!

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Another fine attempt from Victory. Poured a pale golden hue, with a soft fluffy head that I blew out of the way before first drink. The aroma was hoppy and the taste crisp, Pils are not my favorite in general but thiis my best experience with one to date. Drank all I had, so I say its drinkable.

3.46/5  rDev -14.1%

Something is amiss with this current batch of PP

Normally, PP is accentuated by a aggressive hop spice from noble hops. However, this latest batch is more of a citrus, fruity hop. Good for an IPA, not good here!!!

If I were a betting man (and I am!) I would wager that Victory has switched hop type here. I hope it's just temporary, b/c it's really done the beer a disservice and I'm rating this current batch accordingly...

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

This was my attempt and breaking my preference for complex dark beers and trying to get into the whole clean pilsner thing.

A- Light gold in color with about 1/4 inch of head

S- Some astringent hop scents with a floral or grassy background

T- Balanced malty sweetness and bittering hop notes that got stronger as it finished. Very clean tasting.

M- Light and refreshing... almost water-like, but in a good way.

D- Very drinkable. Good example of the style, although I personally prefer pale ales that will give me more flavor an complexity. Tried to keep in mind while reviewing that pilsners were all about being clean and crisp... so in light of that, this was pretty good.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass

Whitish yellow hue w/ snow-white head

Light hop aroma with a hint of lemon citrus.

Citrus sweet hop flavor, with only slight bitterness. A nice cross between a german pilsner and an IPA.

Nice, crisp and clean mouthfeel.

A great beer for a light colored pilsner drinker to try something new.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a bottle into a tall pilsner glass. The way this beer looks in a tall glass is fantastic. A nice decent head with nice carbination and a transparent golden color. Smell is a big hit spiciness of hops. Some maltyness to it but a bit overwheaming hit of hops. Mouthfell is light and refershing. Overall a decent beer from Victory. This is one I would pick up on a hot day

3.27/5  rDev -18.9%

This is a crystal-clear, slightly sparkling straw-colored lager that could be a real eye-catcher if given a nice thick creamy white head rather than a brief rocky scree. The nose is pleasantly malty with alcohol undertones and hints of spicy hops. On the palate it is hop-forward, with a significant bittering hops presence that dominates the pilsener hops flavor and lagery grain notes; the finish is the same, with the bitterness lingering long enough to overstay its welcome. The texture is a bit thicker than the light body would lead you to expect, and the carbonation is nice and prickly.

4.26/5  rDev +5.7%

Serving temp: 40F Serving glass: Pilsener Glass

Aroma: Zing! Noble hops abound with big citrusy lemon zest & tang zapping my nostrils. Pretty much all hops with this one, just a bit of bready maltiness coming through.

Appearance: Truly a sexy looking beer. Crystal clear, deep straw with beautiful, bountiful beading. Pure white head retains throughout, excellent, intricate lacing.

Taste: I'm not generally a Pils drinker, but this is really tasty. Clean & refreshing, only small amounts of sweetness up front, the hops are obviously the focus here- perhaps just a bit to much. Although, I'm certainly in no position to comment on what a Pils "should" taste like. A little bit of spice to along with a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, sparklingly refreshing. Medium carbonation gives it a little more punch and zest. It doesn't get cleaner than this, IMO.

Drinkability: A great, if somewhat overhopped Pils. For a cold summer drink, I can't think of anything else I'd rather have in my hand.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Tried this one in preparation for a beer dinner.

Stray yellow in color. Very clear. White 1/4" head that quickly fades. First taste is of hops. More than the average Pils but it helps out. It's very smooth and tasty. Not your average Pils. The malt and hops balance out nicely. I think this one might be a great starter for my meal...

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Light yellow coloring with a large foamy head, very clear and indicative of the style.

S- light crisp smell, it could be a little stronger to be better.

T- nice and light, flowery side flavor with a slight crispy hop taste thats extremely refreshing. Carbonation gives a slight burn of the tongue. One of the best lagers I've ever had.

M- unlike some lagers, the prima pils has a strong enough flavor that it doesn't fade after a few few seconds. You can swish it in you mouth and get more flower style taste.

D- extremely drinkable, a beer for the usual bud drinker and the beer connoisseur as well. Not my favorite style but you have to recognize good when it shows up though.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours beautifully into a pilsner glass. Golden yellow body with tons of carbonation, streams and streams of bubbles flowing from the bottom of the glass. Rocky white three finger head. Great start.

S - Sweet, bready malt in the nose, very inviting. Balanced as well, as the hops pull through after the malt. Very hoppy for a pilsner, but like I said, very well balanced, not overpowering at all like some IPA's can be.

M - Medium mouthfeel, not too thin as some pilsners can be. Loads of carbonation in the mouthfeel, extremely crisp and dry.

T - Sweet malt hits the tongue right away and lingers for a bit...then all of a sudden my palate gets smacked with citrus and grass. I even burped up hops after the third sip. The balance is ridiculous for a beer that is obviously much hoppier than the typical lager.

D - I'm glad I reviewed this five years into my craft beer experience. I can appreciate a world class lager such as this so much more. I'm thinking Victory should replace Bud Light in the drinkability commercials because this is a beer I could quaff all night long.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very crisp pilsner that looks, smells, and tastes exactly like a classiv European pilsner should.

Yellow hue with light hoppy aroma. Medium hop start with that extra crisp finish that makes you desire that next sip.

Would definitely suggest checking the "born on" date with this style of Victory beer as it does tend to flatten out as it ages with my expirences and is just not great when it looses that crispness.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

A-Golden yellow color with a decent fluffy white head.

S-Nice malt aroma behind the spicy hops.

T-Ever so slightly sweet malt taste, followed by a little citrus and the spicy bitterness of the hops.

M-Kind of thin mouthfeel, with a light dry finish.

D-This goes down pretty smooth, leaves a nice aftertaste, making it very drinkable.

2.21/5  rDev -45.2%

this was over hopped to my palate and had a strange aftertaste of bitterness that was not enjoyable. the normal bitter refreshing characteristics are gone and the overly bitter exotic tastes come through in a way you do not want to drink them. This made Urquell's taste seem amazingly more refreshing and enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

S - Bottle I have heard it is fresher on tap

A - is excellent but I do not care what a beer looks like. I have had cloudy, muerky, hazy, clear, brown. black and almost black, red, auburn, amber, golden, etc... Colored beer and it has little to with taste.

Smell - like a good old fashioned beer or a czech pils. A little more floral smell.

Taste - it is great, clean crisp and hoppy. pairs with all food

M - excellent, light crisp

O - a great pilsner the only better pilsner is Sam Adams impierial pilsner. It is bold
But light and I could enjoy it everytime I drink beer

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a fizzy yellow color with a good amount of head. Not to be mistaken with the likes of a BMC lager, as this has a much cloudier and thicker appearance despite being such a light beer. Smell is of faint grassy hops, pretty muted for the most part. However, after checking the date on the bottle, this is a good bit past its prime. My fault for not checking the bottle. Oops. It holds up surprisingly well, the pleasant grassy hops are still there, just much more muted. I've had this fresh and it is a delight to drink on a hot day. Very refreshing. Just wish it was easier to find fresh around here. Victory bottles always seem to be a good bit past their prime. However, it's still very drinkable and I'm enjoying it. Definitely recommend this for the summer. Just don't be like me - check the date before buying.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Have always appreciated Victory beers and prima is no different. This is one of more favorite pilsners they have. Its a perfect example of an America pilsner. The hops are big and floral on the nose, with more malt in the mouth playing alongside the notes of fresh citrus. It is very smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation and low alcohol. I'd say there is a soft bitterness that is followed through the long finish and closes on a sweet hop taste.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: golden color with 1/2 finger of white head which leaves behind a nice lacing.

S: Grain, grass and lemon. Maybe even lemongrass.

T: Very hoppy and floral. A little too strong on both counts for my liking but to each his own.

M: Nice crisp quality with a dry finish. Very nice.

O: Very flavorful for a pilsner. Truly a great pilsner if you're into hoppy beers. Personally, I found the intensity of the hops and floral notes off-putting and not really justified by the style. So its not my favorite beer but if that's what you're into, by all means have a few!

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

12oz bottle poured into my oversized wine glass.

A: The color of sunlight and pure, golden straw. It shines. It glows. Nice head, some lacing. It really does glow.

S: A little musty, floral. The 'straw' parallel is still true here, I don't know what to call it other than 'rustic.'

T: This is really my favorite German pilsner, and one of my favorite beers of all time. It hits first with a little sweetness and that little pilsner 'funk' you expect from the style, but then it rises to a new level of amazing as the hops fill out the flavor, bring it all together in an amazingly crisp, light, dry solid -beer- taste. I look at all the other yellow beers out there and say -this- is what you should taste like.

M: Medium-light, good carbonation, nice long finish, hoppy and dry.

D: Fantastic session beer. Great on a hot day. Great on a warm night. Really damn good any time. It's flavorful enough to keep it interesting, yet it's easy to drink many at a time.

If I could only find this on tap somewhere.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Great pils. One of the best craft versions on the market. Very nice bready aroma and flavor and well-balanced hops create an almost perfect pilsner. Good head and lacing with great overall flavor. Body is just right - not too heavy. This is a definite "go too" beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

Yellowish straw color, Head that collapses into a thin white film.

Nice hop aroma with a hint of grassiness.

Taste starts very clean and crisp but then you quickly get hit with the hops. Not super hoppy but a nice amount of citrusy and piney hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing with a light body.

This is a drinkable beer, no problems having another.

One of the few micro pilsners that I found most enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked this one up at the Pioneer Supermarket in Manhattan, which has a great selection, because I've been so impressed with other Victory Beers.

The beer pours nicely with a significant head that doesn't last too long. The color is pleasing, sort of a medium light straw. Enough color to suggest something interesting. From the first smell and taste I can tell I like it. I haven't had a Pilsner Urquell in some time, but this tastes very, very similar to me. Medium high-notes, very drinkable, a good beer.

This would be a nice one to enjoy with the game. Definitely one to try to win over some die-hard big-brewer lager drinkers.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

I smelled it and got nothing but cheddar cheese popcorn, I wonder if the line was dirty because the last time I had it in bottle I truly enjoyed it.

After getting over the cheddar cheese nose I started to really appreciate the beer, it is a nice clean pilsner. Smells like pilsner malt, noble hops. Nice and crisp

Tastes nice, very clean beer accentuating the czech Saaz and pilsner malts. Not very complex but I love it as a nice session-able lager.

Great mouthfeel, nice and creamy. Crisp earthy finish.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company