2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Prima Pils - Victory Brewing Company

Prima PilsPrima Pils

Reviews: 1942

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

ca. 44 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prima Pils Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,845 | Reviews: 1,942 | Show All Ratings:
JanetCDavis

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Paired this with camembert, fontina, and gouda. Really nice for end of summer. Absolutely refreshing. Straightforward, with an edge of orange. Really outstanding with the creamy camembert. Would recommend as a stand-alone or accompaniment to a sophisticated dinner first course.

09-02-2013 23:40:38 | More by JanetCDavis
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.73/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a pilsner?? Wow, this is a top of the class beer.

It pours a nice golden color and the head is still there 5 minutes after pouring.

Has a nice hoppy aroma.

Great tasting pilsner and would definitely have another.

I'd say it should be considered a best of the best in this style.

12-14-2013 23:57:29 | More by wiseguywood
ACarp

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%

Now I understand the appeal of Pilsner. The first impression is that of a crystal clear beer and a bit of a Saaz bomb at that. The Saaz took center stage at the beginning, bringing their unique zest to the beer as the delicately sweet pilsener grain slowly emerged. Very clean ester profile and thin, easydrinking body. This beer tastes like a Victory.

Serving vessel: Stein, with wurst, kraut, and mustard

01-29-2014 01:59:44 | More by ACarp
coldchill

Tennessee

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear yellow/gold with a medium size head. Mossy smell is noticeableat first sniff. Nice clean flavor with hop bite mid-taste, but quickly fading into a crisp refreshing finish. This is a good beer, I am not normally a huge fan of lagers, but I could drink this one again and again.

Edited to add: This beer just kept getting better and better. I thought I should come back and adjust my scores accordingly.

07-26-2006 01:52:45 | More by coldchill
mellocello2003

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

A - beautiful lace and a reasonable head that diminishes quite quickly

S - citrusy, lemony, floral, spicy, cinnamony. Wonderful aroma of hops and malts.

T - exceptional. Bitterness up front followed by a refreshing wave of delicate, balanced, citrus and hops. Finally followed up after swallowing by a QUITE prolonged lip-smacking, delicious bitterness. The resins from the hops seem to coat your mouth and stay with you for at least a minute after drinking. Great for cutting through spicy foods.

M - once again, exceptional. Creamy yet bubbly.

D - very drinkable, very good beer. A well-balanced, refined, delicious, and refreshing beer from the folks at Victory Brewing Company.

02-08-2008 02:10:12 | More by mellocello2003
arvjunk

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured on tap into a standard pint glass

I had very low expectations going in. I was looking for a craft brew that was better than Stella Artois (something my friend likes).

A - golden yellow color, medium opacity

S - lots going on, lemony citrus, slight pine notes

T - wow, this surprised me. tastes really good. citrusy and refreshing, light body but incredibly flavorful.

M - for what it is, it has some structure in the mouth, not overly carbonated, but nice.

D - I could drink quite a few of these, especially during the summer.

05-07-2009 17:46:58 | More by arvjunk
Echosolace

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Just a little cloudy. Light, a nice shade of yellow, reminds me of sunshine.

S: Clean. They say refined on it. Maybe too clean. Chlorine-y? Not to that extent, but very pils like.

T: O it's tasty. I'm not the biggest fans of pilsners, but I could imagine myself having a fest with some of these at a party. It tastes good, definitely has a nice hoppy aftertaste.

M: Actually, of the stuff I've had from Victory Brewing, I'd say that they fell short on this. I want more carbonation from it.

D: It's a good staple beer, an every day beer. It's light in flavor, has a reasonable amount of alcohol, but it won't throw you into a beer nap. Great if you like hops. Just could use a bit more carbonation.

05-11-2010 17:48:46 | More by Echosolace
Shakesbeere

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a clear golden pear with a frothy white head. A subtly hoppy aroma with a little hint of fresh citrus. Flavor is, at first, distinctly hoppy (albeit light hops) and fresh. Later, notes of slight malt and some very light citrus flower develop. Very clean. Very light. A refined palate -- champaign-esque (in some ways). This is the best pilsener I've had so far.

07-10-2010 04:37:26 | More by Shakesbeere
PantherLightning

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours bubbly, white, beautiful one finger head. Light straw color.
Smells very floral.

Tastes light, crisp and hoppy. It is very delicate and yet assertive in flavor. Very clean finish that leaves a floral taste far back on the pallet. Mouthfeel is very crisp on the first few sips and smooths out as you drink through the beer. Leaves a nice lacing around the glass.

I could drink this beer all day everyday and never get sick of it. Prima Pils does every single thing right that all BMC pilsners do wrong, and it shows. This beer is beautiful.

08-04-2010 03:18:43 | More by PantherLightning
Puddintane

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Hazy straw yellow pour, white bubbly head. Aroma of crisp grassy hops, faint bit of must in the malt, citrus rind/light fruit. Flavors of dry malt with a decent bit of grapefruit/citrus rind come into play, a slight earthiness/must is apparent as well. Light bubbly body, crisp/bitter/malty throughout with a dry lingering bitter finish. Easily one of my top three session beers: it’s bright and crisp. Overall, just a very satisfying brew that I drink regularly all year round. This coupled with a very fair price point makes it a hard beer to beat. Most definitely my favorite summer brew as well as my favorite pilsener. I don’t see what there is to not love about this beer.

05-06-2011 15:27:50 | More by Puddintane
balzern

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

A- This beer poured a straw golden color with a great head. I poured it into a pilsner glass and it was super nice looking. The white head was glimmering in the moon light on a wonderful summer night.

S- Smells of bread, citrus, and straw wafted to me. I immediately wanted to try this even more than before I smelled it.

T- Lots of bread and citrus flavors. The yeast was pretty back-seat in this beer but was evident if I looked for it. The hops made this pilsner awesome. The hop bitterness was more than what I expected from a pilsner leaving me satisfied.

M- Light and crisp. This beer was highly carbonated and extremely refreshing. I loved how the carbonation really cleansed my palate and finished dry from all the hops present. Wow, really nice.

O- Probably the best pilsner I have had. I loved how refreshingly smooth it was, yet, provided an unexpected dry and bitter finish from the hops. Attractive looking, smelling, and tasting - I would say this is a must try summer beer. You won't be unsatisfied.

06-22-2011 12:55:29 | More by balzern
sleestak4life

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Draft @ Redcoat Tavern. Pours a pale straw yellow with a scummy white head with surprising lacing. Aroma is grassy with light citrus and flowery hops. Initial sweetness yields to significant bitterness and a long grain finish. Getting along extraordinarily well with my burger. Lovely.

07-19-2011 16:50:01 | More by sleestak4life
bradleyseven

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 14oz Pokal

Visual:
crystal clear straw tinted beer, very bubbly with 1/2 inch of wet white head

Smell:
faint notes of wheat and a dose of floral/herbal hops

Taste:
hints of light raw wheat as well as a little home-made white bread. Hops kick in with authority; slightly biting, herbal tasting with just a touch of lemon zest.

Body:
Crisp is the name of the game here; nicely carbonated, light in body, substantial drying from the hops, lingering bitterness.

Drinkability:
this is a great lawn-mower beer for hop-heads; it is extremely drinkable, nicely hopped, light bodied, very satisfying on a hot day or with some tangy barbecue

~E. Brad

02-06-2007 19:21:52 | More by bradleyseven
EbPhrygian

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

This is my fifth bottle of a six-pack that I've been working on for probably a couple of weeks. Was kind of hyped about this one.

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A rather translucent honey color. Leaves minimal head, even when vigorously poured, and what there is doesn't retain all that well. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Lemony citrus notes strike first, followed by a piny hop character.

Taste: Bitter and hoppy, especially in the after-taste. There just isn't much going on here, simple and to-the-point, although I wasn't expecting a great deal of complexity in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated, doesn't stick to the teeth, tongue, or throat.

Drinkability: Wrong place and time for this beer? Sitting indoors at home in the early evening on a 50º cloudy spring day. I never wanted another, though it would not be a laborious endeavor whatsoever. This smooth, crisp brew goes down with minimum effort.

Notes: I have a lot to say about this beer. First of all, it should be enjoyed cold, like right out of the fridge at 37º. The reason for this is it can't be enjoyed fast enough to prevent that unpleasant sensation that your drink is too warm. Second, I like Sam Adams Noble Pils much better. Finally, it just doesn't have anything going for it. It's a Pilsener with more of a hop taste than a strong malt profile, and as such I just can't recommend it over most of the ales I've enjoyed. Just wished there was more to it, something to further separate it from the mass-produced BMC products that boast "Pilsener taste." If this is how a pilsener is supposed to taste, then I'm not sure it's my favorite style. Was pretty hyped about this one, too...oh well.

05-12-2010 23:33:45 | More by EbPhrygian
ihoffman

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Poured pale gold in color. Hazy and straw-like. 2 finger frothy head that dissipated quickly. Moderate lacing.

S: Faint noble hops. Grassy with a touch a lemon.

T: Again, grassy and citrusy. A bit piney as well. Hops are definitely present, but aren't overpowering. A dryer, slightly oily finish.

M: On the lighter side. Carbonation follows suit.

O: Refreshing overall, especially on a nice day. A nice pilsner.

04-12-2011 14:30:55 | More by ihoffman
layinbrix

Colorado

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

The first pour of this beer was perfect, absolutely perfect: two fingers of head just barely lofting over the rim of my pint glass. The color was a vibrant golden straw. The beer also laces well.

The beer smelled fresh, like spring almost. It had very floral notes on the front end, the hops come through like a beer potpourri. There was also a light malt scent, masked by the hops.

This beer tasted like a classic pilsner should. The hop flavor was dominating, very zesty, herbal, and posessed a fine bitter tinge. The bitterness lingers on your tongue for around 30 seconds after each drink. Just like in the aroma, there is a smooth malt taste that hides behind the powerful hops, adding to the drinkability. This beer was crisp and refreshing, exactly what I expect from a pilsner, exactly what I want to drink in the summertime.

08-04-2011 01:03:46 | More by layinbrix
rdacey

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Aroma: Spicy noble hops with slight lemon aromas as it warms, slight grainy aroma from the pilsner malt, no esters, no diacetyl

Appearance: Pale straw color; thin, white, lasting head; beautiful clarity

Flavor: Slightly grainy but balance is more towards the use of noble english hops. No diacetyl, no esters, finish is dry and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly bitter

08-23-2012 02:47:58 | More by rdacey
jamiecoppin

North Dakota

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12oz bottle into a stemless wine glass

Appearance: cloudy golden yellow. Probably a little lighter than my first pee of the day

Smell: dry bread. Slight hops

Taste: Fairly dry. Probably due to the hops that make this finish very bitter. But it's such a thirst quenching bitter my mouth waters for another sip. Slightly grainy. Maybe like a dry crackerbread.

Mouthfeel: Light but assertive.

Overall: One of the best pilsners I have tried. That being said I haven't had a lot. I'm fairly new to the lager scene in general. That being said this will easily always have a spot in my fridge.

08-14-2013 02:13:14 | More by jamiecoppin
Wyattldavis

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great beer! Not overpowering. Golden appearance, with a clean finish and very refreshing. Definitely not too sweet/not too much alcohol content. The hops are just right - present but not overpowering. The mouthfeel is extraordinary - big, clear crisp carbonation that isn't fizzy and feels just right. I could see this being one of my standards - especially in the summer. One of my favorite beers.

09-02-2013 23:40:49 | More by Wyattldavis
bushwik

4.13/5  rDev +2%

I'll have to echo many of the other reviewers that this is certainly not a German Pils by any stretch of the imagination. It is however a SOLID offering from the always consistent Victory stable. I liken this to a consistancy of a Zwickel actually although it is not unfiltered is has a much more syrupy and hop forward flavor then a crisp and clear German Pils lager would. It is however highly sessionable and incredibly flavorful for a lager of its kind and I could put down a few of these easily on a warm day.

04-01-2014 19:30:20 | More by bushwik
HopDevil

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Victory Prima Pils is the very definition of crisp and dry, and, if you look in the dictionary under refreshing, don't be surprised if they show a bottle of this beer as an example.

The cloud of hop aroma that wafts into the nostrils upon opening a bottle of Prima Pils announces that this is definitely not your customary Pils and accurately predicts the flavor that follows. While some yeast nose is evident, the clean fresh herbal hop aroma overwhelms the malt but what a heavenly odor to a hophead like myself.

A mountain of firm antique white lather piled up on the pale gold colored beer as I carefully poured the Prima into my pilsner glass. The lovely head was long lasting and left a patchy, frothy lace on the glass as it stubbornly receded. Prima in the glass is brilliant and clear of any chill haze. Effervescent bubbles were seen visibly drifting slowly up into the foamy cloud above.

The taste was predominately hops - herbal with a hint of grassiness. Prima rewards you with a satisfying hop flavor without succumbing to bitterness. Yes, Definitely noble hops and totally mouthwatering! Further along the taste buds I detected a very slight astringent or husky graininess with only a ghost of residual malt sweetness (my sweet receptor taste buds may have long since been burned away however) with no fruity esters, diacetyl or citrus notes in evidence. The after taste is hop heaven, dry and very enjoyable. This is a beer that is an excellent compliment to most meals but may tend to dominate delicate flavored dishes.

Prima Pils is a beer I savored and enjoyed very much and I predict that in future I will often have a glass of it's hopy fragrance and golden color in my hand. Like they say " A victory for your taste"
if you have a taste for hops that is.

01-04-2003 14:12:58 | More by HopDevil
metalitool

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had, no question. This one will catch you off guard....very light in color, it tastes far different.

With a pronounced hop flavor that hits you in the tongue, then disappears, it gives you a strong taste, with NO aftertaste AT ALL, only to leave you wanting more...dont be surprised to see it disappear quickly, even when you aren't aiming at consuming large amounts.

I have yet to have anything else like it...no aftertaste at all (clean), pronounced hop flavor, and superb drinkability.

08-06-2005 02:12:51 | More by metalitool
friesfox5

A- Deep tan, nice carbonation, brief lacing.

S- Ahhh, what a smell. A deep hop aroma, biscuits, grains, mild sweetness. I could smell this beer for hours....but then that would take away from my time drinking it!

T- PERFECTLY balanced malts and hops. The hop spiciness to the finish is not overwhelming but is substantial.

D- I've had many German pilseners and this is as good or better than all of them. This stands up to ones I've had on draft in Germany and Switzerland with no problem at all.

05-17-2008 19:46:00 | More by friesfox5
chrisny4205

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Straw yellow. Bone white head that kept me company most of the testing. We became close friends.

Smell got better the more I tasted the beer. Earthy to piney smell.

This beer went from good to amazing after the fourth sip. A great example of a German pilsner. Such a delicate beer that lets its flavors come at you one at a time. Sweet maltiness then erased by the bittering hops. The flavors are light and very well balanced.

Sat well. Not a big body. This is a delicate brew.

This beer could be drank at anytime and all the time.

07-17-2008 15:20:18 | More by chrisny4205
kballer

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a delicious beer. There's no freshness date. I poured into a half liter pilsener glass and allowed it to foam up a lot. The head looks delicious and fluffy. T

The smell is defintely the beers strongest area. It smells spicy and hoppy. Just thinking about the smell makes me want to crack one open. Luckily it tastes like it smells. some sips are really spicy and others taste bread-like.

Very drinkable lager.