St. Boisterous - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-13-2002)
Reviews by Med:
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Clear golden straw color with a white head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves relatively little lacing.

S - The lager yeast is at the forefront with a breadiness but a sweetness lies underneath. Apple juice and a hint of banana.

T - A surprising burst of flavor for such a mild appearing beer. Apples, white grape, and a slightly sour finish that lasts.

M - Surprisingly full-bodied with a creamy feel helped along by a nice carbonation.

D - It's probably a personal thing but the sweetness is a bit much for me to have more than one.

Nice beer.

Med, Apr 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

I always look forward to drinking good spring bocks,this poured int a pokal a clear medium gold with a tight formed one finger white head that settled pretty slowly.Alot of things going on in the nose caramel sweetness and bread grain mainly with hints of vegetable and iron the alcohol really doesnt show thru much here,not as sweet as I thought it would be from judging other reviews yeah it has some definent caramel sweetness along with a sweet dough character and green gape with pear note but a decent herbal hop presence is there along with that vegetal note.Some grain alcohol flavors come thru as it warms a bit but it warms you on a cold 40 degree spring day here in the Buffalo area.I have wanted to try this for quite awhile and I am glad I had the chance.

oberon, Apr 14, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Most bocks coming from American brewers pale in comparision to their German counterparts. I'm sure it has to do with the selection of malts available, and the conditioning times allowed.

However, don't let all of that fool ya. This is an excellent helles. It's got everything you need, firm yet tasty maltiness, good color and clarity, just a hint of hops to balance the residual sweetness, and a hint of clean cloves (just a wafer thin hint mind you).

I have tried to brew this and related styles, and they are picky. This one definitely deserves a second look-see when I find it again.

rugbycritic, Jun 02, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Very nice example of a maibock. Malty fruitiness present and very drinkable. It speaks volumes that, when I brought three of these each to the houses of two friends who had spent substantial time in Germany, the third bottle of the three magically disappeared into the "hide this beer for myself only" corners of their refrigerators.

Be forewarned, it's hard to find the brewery - in an industrial complex and you cannot see at all it if coming in from the west.

sponberg, Feb 13, 2002

phartzelljr, Apr 21, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, medium-high carbonation, dark gold in color, clear

Smell: grass and some hops

Taste: grass, caramel, some bittering earthy hops in the background

Mouthfeel: light bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet with a bitter backbone

Drinkability: Could have sveral of these if not for the alcohol which hits hard. A nice and clean maibock. Simple yet elegant.

tigg924, May 25, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

KolbMarley, Jul 17, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

"Tastes like nature, like you ate a pile of leaves"

Lovely words from my even lovelier girlfriend after having her try a sip of St. Boisterous at my favorite watering hole. While I have to disagree with her overall description, I do enjoy where she was going with the "earthiness" of this beer. I'm not traditionally a bock fan, but after hearing so many other customers claiming that this is their "favorite bock" I decided to give it a try. I wouldn't normally say you can really taste the hops in a lager-style beer, but St. Boisterous was an exception. The "earthiness" my girlfriend was so elegantly trying to describe of this beer was no doubt a testament to the traditional German hop and malt notes. It's an extremly smooth-going beer and finishes rather well on the palate.

While I'm not usually a fan of the darker Bock beers, this take on the Maibock or Helles bock is an exceptional substitute for the traditional American Lager. Rather than tailgating with a Budweiser (a name I use simply for reference to lager) I suggest going with a St. Boisterous. But be warned: The name is the truth, drink too many of these in the sun and you will, in fact, become quite Boisterous.

Samtoberfest, Apr 21, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy amber/orange color with a small white head with a nice ring of lacing. Nose is sweet, malty, both very 'Victory' and very German - I like it.

Taste is sharp and crisp with a light sulfur note that is reminiscent of Prima Pils, there is a bit of alcohol present but it isn't over the top. Mouthfeel is a bit chewy but still crisp and refreshing. A good way to start a hot summer evening.

kingcrowing, Aug 05, 2011

RyanPS, Nov 16, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Clear bright gold appearance, head is fairly minimal and is essentially gone after 45 seconds or so. A couple of strings for lacing. A little bit of sweetness in the aroma, much more of a slightly bitter apple core and slushy cinnamon sweetend apple sauce that plays very well. Body is heavier, carbonation is at the low end of the spectrum. Taste is quite malty, viscous with an almost maple syrup sweetness. Hops give a slightly leafy and peppery counterpoint (I kind of like them to pop more in this style), and nicely emphasized in the second half of the flavor profile. Toasted malt impression gets stronger on warming and lingers well into the aftertaste. A slightly too thick brew, nice balance and a pleasant rendition of a strong Helles Bock.

ADR, Apr 21, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Anytime I see a Victory product on tap I have to try it, they just are always a wonderful balanced representation of their style this maibock definitely delivers for me. Pours amber mild brown with an off white peach colored head. A nice trickled lace forms as the head begins to dwindle. Aroma is full of malt balanced by slighlty floral hops, a breadiness possibly from the yeast, and a touch of plum notes comes through to form one amazing beer aroma. Taste is very nice mellow balanced flavor primarily consists of malt sweet tones with an underlying fruit tone and hop profile tip toeing on my palate followed by a warming rush of aclohol that is not too overbearing just need to give this beer a little kick. Mouthfeel is slightly stickywith a tickling carbonation from this well-consructed medium bodied Victory classic. Drinkability nice spring/summer seasonal that I was pleased to find on tap very nice beer that plan to visit revisit hopefully in Downington.

WVbeergeek, Jun 14, 2003
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

navband, Jul 30, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

aengleman, Dec 07, 2013
3.85/5  rDev 0%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer has a warm golden yellow crystal clear body with a white wisp of film and a strong carbonation underneath.

S- This beer has a light toasted malt smell with a faint green hop finish. As it warms there is a note of pot caramel that is very pleasant or a change.

T- The smooth pale malt has a light toasted malt hint and a green hop finish with a hint of white wine alcohol. As it warms a bit a caramel hint comes through in the malt and the wine note is covered by more green hops and sulfur notes.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel in the beginning but it becomes more full at the finish of each sip. There is a faint alcohol heat in the finish that is nice.

D- This looks like a small light beer but it is really a big beer in disguise. Good flavor but I would like them to be a bit bolder. Very interesting.

rhoadsrage, Oct 10, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -44.7%

Victory- St. Boisterous

Appearance- light yellow/ orange with very little head. Slight soapy foam, no lacing.
Smell- not much here. A light hay/ straw odor. Sweet fruity malt.
Taste- sweet and light. Slighty orange/ lemony with a strong metallic taste.
Mouthfeel- sweet up front followed by a bitter metallic aftertaste.

Overall- not s good one. watery with little flavor other than a metallic taste. Victory usually does so much better than this.

NJpadreFan, May 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

First time trying this beer. Head was basically non-existent, dark orange color. I had trouble picking up scents, could be because I'm still getting over allergies, but they just seemed very faint.
Malty first sip. Seemed to have floral quality in the finish. As I drank, the floral aromas got stronger, and it seemed to have more complex flavors I'm not yet qualified to describe.
After about half a glass, I re-checked the alcohol content. You'll definitely feel that 7.40%.
I enjoyed it, a good introduction to Maibock/Helles Bock for me, and I'll be back for more. Kudos to the guys a Norm's in Vienna for recommending it.

weasbri, May 27, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

A clear gold, perfectly uniform look with a quickly settled 1" white foam cap.

A very hardy yeast aroma, zesty, tangy, herbal and earthy mu sk effect, wheat and corn and a hint of heat, more bready malt underneath.

a very crispy bite, full and lush but lively feel with dry earth, herbal yeast upfront, which is great. Rather complex earthy hops adds some nice depth to the yeast flavor's. Amazingly clean all around, very harmonious together, great balance, the heat is pretty high, but not too bad. Slight, fruity and tanginess in the long run.

One of the best American brewed German style beefy lagers.

GratefulBeerGuy, Aug 27, 2011

cclark67789, Jun 14, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

I got one word for St. Boisterous....eh! This one just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's the style, but this will sit in my fridge until I can get a sucker to come by and try it. Usually a Victory fan, I question their motive on this one. I'm thinking Ron and Bill got a good deal on the malt and hops they used, so they decided to throw together a Hellerbock since no other American Micro-brewer seems to be able to do it. Well guess what?? Neither does Victory. Leave this one to the Germans and do what you do best.

Ok....now that I got that off my chest, on to the review. German lager on the nose. Poured a really beautiful golden color. Sweet malt smell released on the pour. Belgian hops up front on the taste which settles into a malty sugary sweetness....actually quite complex. Then this nasty spicy aftertaste comes in of maybe an Allspice. Not a clean finish for a hot spring day. I know this is supposed to be a Spring seasonal, but to me, I'd rather drink this crap in the dead of winter.

Like I said...I won't finish this six-pack off. No offense Victory....love your beers, but this one is off the mark.

ITK4ever, Jul 07, 2006

A-A clear nice golden color. Slightly tan head. Not a lot of head on the pour, maybe a fingers worth.

S-Smell is clean. Nice earthy hop aroma. Not very fresh, doesnt really pop out that much.

T-Nicely balanced, earthy hops, slightly toasted malt flavors. Not as sweet as I was expecting, a bit of dryness to it.

M.F.-A bit thinner then I expected but not bad. A soft carbonation.

D-Very drinkable. Cant believe its a 7.5. I would give it another go.

nicnut45, Apr 28, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Enjoy by October 13th, 2006. Is it just me, or does St. Boisterously look freakishly close to one of the characters on the board game Guess Who? Anyone know what I'm talking about. I think his name may be Max; I remember he had a big nose and white hair. And this is the oldschool version of the game; I think there's a new one out now with different folks.

Appearance: A straw golden yellow with tiny bubbles up the top of the glass. The head dissipates extremely quickly, and there's a bit of lacing but not much. Are the Maibock bodies regarding color and carbonation this boring?

Smell: A nice and richly balanced blend of sweet malt and floral hops. Slight honey and fruit? Not insanely complex, but highly welcoming.

Taste: Wow, I've never really had a beer quite like this, especially for the style. There's nothing too discernible for me, but the taste and the balance are right on. It's sweet without being overly sweet, hoppy without being either too bitter or floral, and the finish is long, welcoming, and perfect right now for summer. I also get a bit of honey and maybe a bit of peach skin. I get no alcohol here at all, especially anything remotely close to 7.4%. Not sure how they're doing this, and sorry this isn't very informative, but it's really hard to explain, at least from this end.

Mouthfeel: This may seem a bit cloying to some, and maybe that's the slightly higher alcohol content? At first it especially seems that way, but the burst of carbonation by the end provides a bit of chewiness and makes it not watery in the least.

Drinkability: I'll certainly be getting a 6-pack of this soon enough, as I think it's really delicious. Not the most complex brew in the entire world, but the best of the domestic styles I've had yet. Quenching, fairly alcoholic, and highly drinkable. I hope this becomes a staple for Victory as far as bottles go.

asabreed, Jun 07, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Clear, deep golden bodied with a quick and sparse white heading.
The nose is on the weak side, whimpering out a vague breadiness, traces of golden raisins, and a whiff of dried grass hop spiciness.
Taste is above all things, equally muted. It begins with a honeyed roll breadiness, that segues into fruitier hues of grape and apple. There's a minor (and also seemingly muted) tic of zinc-like minerality, but otherwise it flows well-lagered down the pipes. The close bring a peppery dead grass hop notion that wipes the rest of a lackadaisical malts from memory.
Light-Medium bodied with a low-level but persistent CO2.
It's plenty drinkable. But the malt base is thin and feeble. Thus it doesn't satisfy the meatiness that I want in a bock.

cokes, Oct 04, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Cloudy light orange and some yeast in aroma. Hoppy, citrus oil.Well malted, carmel and vanilla, but balanced. Fine mix, nothing objectionable. Medium plus mouthfeel from malt and a honeyish yeast. Refreshing.I Like the brewery, but this one isn't as exciting.

Sammy, May 14, 2006