St. Boisterous - Victory Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-13-2002

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

The beer pours deep reddish orange. unfiltered with a light head with little retention.

smell is strong malty honey. Very sweet honey overpowering slight piny hops.

taste is quite a bit more bitter and hoppy than the nose. a bit sour and piny the honey comes through a little.

light and crisp with good carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. The hops-honey combination didn't work that well for me but the beer was not terrible. (431 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz. into a mug. This beer is EXACTLY what I need after working a 14 hour day.

Amber golden, very pretty. Good wall color. Moderate head formation with very little retention.

Smell is very toasty and warm, but sweet and notes of honey are prominent. Something nice and fruity too, something like a dry cider. Very nicely done.

Taste is similar, but brings out the toastiness and adds a bready element like honey and wheat and something very nice and nutty. Once again, very, very, nicely done on Victory's part. One of my favorite beers of this style.

Mouthfeel is very nice, smooth, crisp, the carbonation is excellently done.

I could drink this all night and well into the morning and probably for breakfast. This is excellent, well-balanced, clean, really nice. This is what I love about beer. (812 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

I was lucky enough to go to Victory recently and have this one on-tap. It was a great beer-drinking experience all-around. This is a Bavarian Maibock that does not disappoint.

The beer is dark (almost like an apple juice like others before me have noted).

This stuff is potent and smooth, so be careful. It finishes very nicely. I can't complain or find too much fault with this one. (389 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle...with just a whisp of head. Other reviews have nailed it: It does look like apple juice, carbonated apple juice, a dark orange color.

Smells...sweet, a hint of honey and caramels, light-doughy aromas.

Great malt flavor on the first sip...caramel, a hint of...cinnamon? Hop flavors abound. An overall fruitiness to the beer.

Lingers on the palate just long enough...medium body, with a little bitterness near the end.

Mmmm...delicious Maibock. (478 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz poured into pint

A-Cloudy pale yellow with pretty much zippo head.

S-sort of a lemony citrus aroma, maybe orange too. pretty sweet smelling

M/T-I can taste the alcohol peeping its head out of this guy. other than that, bready taste along with a tinge of citrus. not too shabby. nice body. eh, second swig the alcohol definately came out

O-aside from the alcohol being present in the taste a little too much for my liking, this is a decent brew, certainly not the best from Victory however (498 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Clear golden straw color with a white head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves relatively little lacing.

S - The lager yeast is at the forefront with a breadiness but a sweetness lies underneath. Apple juice and a hint of banana.

T - A surprising burst of flavor for such a mild appearing beer. Apples, white grape, and a slightly sour finish that lasts.

M - Surprisingly full-bodied with a creamy feel helped along by a nice carbonation.

D - It's probably a personal thing but the sweetness is a bit much for me to have more than one.

Nice beer. (565 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My. my, my the new brew house sure is kicking in Downingtown. This is one of my favorite beers Victory does. Just when you think it can't get any better, it does. According to Brewmaster Ron Barchet, the wet milling process is really great because the attenuation is going off the charts. Tthis years Saint B. is yet another example of a highly attenuated beer. It is considerably smoother than that of years past.

I suggest you let warm a little and then give a swirl or two to release the nose. The beer is especially bright and has a golden amber color. The carbonation holds up through the entire expereince with nice lace along the way.

The nose in my opinion has a trace of cinamon smelling malt character.

At 7.8 ABV you're kind of expecting someithin big to leap out at you when in fact it is so smooth with no alcohol burn whatsoever.

The taste is really good. I beleive the profile is mainly remindful of butterscotch and sweet ginger. Again, as it warms the spicier it gets which I think is a good thing.

I'm 6'3" tall and weigh close to 300# and two of these do me in. Wow. (1,105 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours yellowish gold with lots of bubbles and bollowing white bubbly head. Smell of booze, vegetal hops and some sweet malt characters. Feel is crispy and creamy, lots of spice on the palate and some raw grassiness, and straw-like dryness, with some sugary malt characters. Booze is there more than expected. overall an earthy complex lager. (341 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

I got one word for St. Boisterous....eh! This one just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's the style, but this will sit in my fridge until I can get a sucker to come by and try it. Usually a Victory fan, I question their motive on this one. I'm thinking Ron and Bill got a good deal on the malt and hops they used, so they decided to throw together a Hellerbock since no other American Micro-brewer seems to be able to do it. Well guess what?? Neither does Victory. Leave this one to the Germans and do what you do best.

Ok....now that I got that off my chest, on to the review. German lager on the nose. Poured a really beautiful golden color. Sweet malt smell released on the pour. Belgian hops up front on the taste which settles into a malty sugary sweetness....actually quite complex. Then this nasty spicy aftertaste comes in of maybe an Allspice. Not a clean finish for a hot spring day. I know this is supposed to be a Spring seasonal, but to me, I'd rather drink this crap in the dead of winter.

Like I said...I won't finish this six-pack off. No offense Victory....love your beers, but this one is off the mark. (1,127 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours clear, straw color with the slightest amount of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass, like good champagne. Aromas of spice, flowers and bread with corresponding tastes. Everything about this beer says spring and it is almost like the malts are young? Makes me want another sip, because there is something lingering that I just can’t place and want to taste again. Another great lager from Victory! (416 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

When I was handed this beer it reminded me of someone handing me a glass of apple juice, except there was quite a bit of foam that quickly dissipated to tracing around to rim.
It smelt of apple trees with a hint of hops. It tasted like a cider but I could relate it too taking dainty nibbles of a freshly picked apple. On the exhale there was a hint of celery salt. As I took a sip it felt fun and bubbly in my mouth all the way down. Over all, I really enjoyed this beer. (474 characters)

This is an extremely solid beer, as most of Victory's are. I obtained a growler of this from the local distributor and have not been disappointed, twice now.

A very strong lager indeed. But not so strong as the flavors are not blended in a way which renders them dangerous.

Pours a nice golden color almost lagerish. The head settled down nicely after a few seconds but poured nicely. Taste- comes across very mild for a heavyweight (%-wise), with a nice complex taste and full-body. It does have a somewhat smell and you can taste some of that in the flavor as well.

I'm a big fan of this beer, especially on tap in a growler. (630 characters)

In bottle:

Pours nicely carbed, leaves a frothy head atop the glass - little tracing down the glass, perfect clarity and effervescence...
Typical hellesbock aroma - sweetness and little to no hop aroma...
Tasted great! Malt depth - imparted by the decoction mash, no doubt, relatively crisp for such a large beer. Leaves a lingering lager feel of happiness on the tongue - no dryness, no significant bitterness...
Mouthfeel is about the same. Would be interested in trying this beer bottle conditioned - would no doubt give a less bubbly mouthfeel and improved head retention. An extremely drinkable beer - one has to exercise caution when approaching this beer. Nothing significantly unique - but relatively true to style, method, and approach. A good spring celebration beer! (784 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Bought this out of desparation, as there were no other Maibock brews available but this one and the one from the Muenchner Hofbraeuhaus. But - what a great find! Lucky us!

Pours slightly orange-ish with a nice off-white head, foam stays around for quite a while.

Nose is a bit fruity, but not much.

First sip is refreshing, hops is knocking at your door. Prickly mouthfeel, but it is absolutely not over-carbonated. Just rightly done.

The taste is round. This is what I first thought and keep thinking. Round. Very satisfying.

The bottle does not say how much alcohol is inside. I only read here it is above 7%. Really? I would have never guessed that! It really does not knock you out, it does not hit you in the head like other brews with that alcohol content.

All in all such a nice spring brew, that we actually went back to that tiny Pizza place in WB ("Antonio's") and bought more! (895 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this as part of 2 5-glass samplers at the Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA.

This was my first Maibock/Helles Bock. I was surprised by the translucent golden color until I remembered reading about how this seasonal is not dark like other bocks. It was pleasantly sweet and had a weak floral smell. It was refreshing for what it was but a little high in ABV. Sipping beer. (386 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Aroma: Spices and caramel malt

Appearance: Dark golden color, unfiltered yeast with a light head that disappears quickly.

Taste: The sweet caramel malts come through pretty well on this one with only a slight bitterness from the hops. Finishes with spices and a bread/yeast flavor.

Mouthfeel: Hearty feeling with mild carbonation and very slight alcohol, pretty smooth overall.

Drinkability: Full bodied, solid beer. The alcohol is a little high, not something you would want to spend an evening drinking, but they go down very well.

Notes: This is my first beer experience form Victory, based in Pa, and I must say that it was a good first impression. I also enjoy the idea of a good Helles Bock, as it represents the coming of spring, and all the beer festivals that take place in Germany around that time. Compared to other Helles Bocks that I've tried such as Rogue Dead Guy and Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary, this stacks up pretty well. (948 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Deep golden color. Pours a thick white head which leads to a thick persistent lace.

S: Rich, smells of cereal and yeast, grape fruit/citrus and hops. There is a trace of honey also.

T: Crisp and sweet upfront, nice fine carbonation and good body. Midpalate is laced with grape fruit and zest bitterness - lemon zest and crisp hops. Finish is bitter also with a good hoppy/cereal after taste. Faint fruitiness and honey on the back end.

M: Has some viscosity from the sweetness but is kept nice and crisp by the hops and carbonation. Hides the alcohol very well. Really nice.

D: Overall this is a very well made beer, and it gains complexity as it warms. Does a great job as a spring ale. (695 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Most bocks coming from American brewers pale in comparision to their German counterparts. I'm sure it has to do with the selection of malts available, and the conditioning times allowed.

However, don't let all of that fool ya. This is an excellent helles. It's got everything you need, firm yet tasty maltiness, good color and clarity, just a hint of hops to balance the residual sweetness, and a hint of clean cloves (just a wafer thin hint mind you).

I have tried to brew this and related styles, and they are picky. This one definitely deserves a second look-see when I find it again. (594 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours light orange/amber small white head gone in seconds. Aroma of malty honey, sticky hint to it, even left a little stickyness on the pint glass. Surprising amount of fruit and a nice spicy hop bite. A nice switch from my normal everyday Bells Oberon (253 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -21.6%

A: amber/gold, semi-clear with small bubbles and very small white head

S: apricot, hint of hops

T: initial honey sweetness gives way to moderate hop bitterness

M: thin carbonation; clinging bitterness

D: needs more carbonation; long hop finish turns sour, discourages second helping

As a Spring offering, seems to slot between a pleasing Winter ale and a crisp Summer ale, so points go to Victory for that, but, not good enough to look forward to over a cold winter. I would feel pretty bleak about the change of season if this was the beer to greet me. (558 characters)

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Victory is perhaps the finest brewery in PA or perhaps the country.

That said, this particular brew was far from what I expected from a 'summer brew'. A bit heavy, as you would consider a Railbender (for those of you in PA) a bit heavy for a hot summer day.

I love the beer but when it is 85 degrees it is a bit heavy and a bit boozy. This isn't really what I consider a summer beer, heck even the St. on the bottle has a beard. (430 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%

"Tastes like nature, like you ate a pile of leaves"

Lovely words from my even lovelier girlfriend after having her try a sip of St. Boisterous at my favorite watering hole. While I have to disagree with her overall description, I do enjoy where she was going with the "earthiness" of this beer. I'm not traditionally a bock fan, but after hearing so many other customers claiming that this is their "favorite bock" I decided to give it a try. I wouldn't normally say you can really taste the hops in a lager-style beer, but St. Boisterous was an exception. The "earthiness" my girlfriend was so elegantly trying to describe of this beer was no doubt a testament to the traditional German hop and malt notes. It's an extremly smooth-going beer and finishes rather well on the palate.

While I'm not usually a fan of the darker Bock beers, this take on the Maibock or Helles bock is an exceptional substitute for the traditional American Lager. Rather than tailgating with a Budweiser (a name I use simply for reference to lager) I suggest going with a St. Boisterous. But be warned: The name is the truth, drink too many of these in the sun and you will, in fact, become quite Boisterous. (1,188 characters)

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last