St. Boisterous - Victory Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-13-2002

Ratings: 412 | Reviews: 296
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Deep golden color. Pours a thick white head which leads to a thick persistent lace.

S: Rich, smells of cereal and yeast, grape fruit/citrus and hops. There is a trace of honey also.

T: Crisp and sweet upfront, nice fine carbonation and good body. Midpalate is laced with grape fruit and zest bitterness - lemon zest and crisp hops. Finish is bitter also with a good hoppy/cereal after taste. Faint fruitiness and honey on the back end.

M: Has some viscosity from the sweetness but is kept nice and crisp by the hops and carbonation. Hides the alcohol very well. Really nice.

D: Overall this is a very well made beer, and it gains complexity as it warms. Does a great job as a spring ale.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Most bocks coming from American brewers pale in comparision to their German counterparts. I'm sure it has to do with the selection of malts available, and the conditioning times allowed.

However, don't let all of that fool ya. This is an excellent helles. It's got everything you need, firm yet tasty maltiness, good color and clarity, just a hint of hops to balance the residual sweetness, and a hint of clean cloves (just a wafer thin hint mind you).

I have tried to brew this and related styles, and they are picky. This one definitely deserves a second look-see when I find it again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours light orange/amber small white head gone in seconds. Aroma of malty honey, sticky hint to it, even left a little stickyness on the pint glass. Surprising amount of fruit and a nice spicy hop bite. A nice switch from my normal everyday Bells Oberon

3.01/5  rDev -21.6%

A: amber/gold, semi-clear with small bubbles and very small white head

S: apricot, hint of hops

T: initial honey sweetness gives way to moderate hop bitterness

M: thin carbonation; clinging bitterness

D: needs more carbonation; long hop finish turns sour, discourages second helping

As a Spring offering, seems to slot between a pleasing Winter ale and a crisp Summer ale, so points go to Victory for that, but, not good enough to look forward to over a cold winter. I would feel pretty bleak about the change of season if this was the beer to greet me.

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Victory is perhaps the finest brewery in PA or perhaps the country.

That said, this particular brew was far from what I expected from a 'summer brew'. A bit heavy, as you would consider a Railbender (for those of you in PA) a bit heavy for a hot summer day.

I love the beer but when it is 85 degrees it is a bit heavy and a bit boozy. This isn't really what I consider a summer beer, heck even the St. on the bottle has a beard.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%

"Tastes like nature, like you ate a pile of leaves"

Lovely words from my even lovelier girlfriend after having her try a sip of St. Boisterous at my favorite watering hole. While I have to disagree with her overall description, I do enjoy where she was going with the "earthiness" of this beer. I'm not traditionally a bock fan, but after hearing so many other customers claiming that this is their "favorite bock" I decided to give it a try. I wouldn't normally say you can really taste the hops in a lager-style beer, but St. Boisterous was an exception. The "earthiness" my girlfriend was so elegantly trying to describe of this beer was no doubt a testament to the traditional German hop and malt notes. It's an extremly smooth-going beer and finishes rather well on the palate.

While I'm not usually a fan of the darker Bock beers, this take on the Maibock or Helles bock is an exceptional substitute for the traditional American Lager. Rather than tailgating with a Budweiser (a name I use simply for reference to lager) I suggest going with a St. Boisterous. But be warned: The name is the truth, drink too many of these in the sun and you will, in fact, become quite Boisterous.

St. Boisterous from Victory Brewing Company