Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

St. Victorious - Victory Brewing Company

St. VictoriousSt. Victorious

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002

Limited seasonal draft only release. Doppelbock brewed w/ smoked 2-row German malt from Bamberg.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Victorious Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -55.6%

Ouch - I did not like this one. While Victory is one of my favorite breweries, this flavor didn't cut it for me. My guess is that Dopplebock is not a blend I should frequent. Just too much of a dry, brown, stouty kind of beer for me that I found boring and non-tasty. Seem's Dopplebock fans may like this one, so don't let my review keep you from this one if you are a Dopplebock fan.

2.26/5  rDev -44.2%

Thanks to Jesse13713 for splitting his bottle of this with me.

A: Clear crimson brown, with a touch of amber/copper. Not much head; less than half a finger, though it retains well.

S: Very faint, I can barely detect some sweet dark fruit flavors- grapes, raisins, maybe some cherry.

T: Dark fruit is pretty prominent here; I definitely am picking up a lot of darh cherries, along with some figs and more grapes. Unfortunately ethanol makes a bigger appearance than would be enjoyable, considering that only sweetness is present to balance it. As I near the end of my (half) glass, the taste begins to border on cloying, which doesn't help matters much.

M: Immediate warmth from the alcohol, accompanied by a thin body and light-moderate carbonation. Sticky finish.

D: Sugar and alcohol dominate the flavor profile too much to make this an enjoyable beer. High expectations coming in, as Victory is a great brewery and doppelbocks are usually somewhat enjoyable; this one just didn't do it for me.

(To any beer or doppelbock newcomer who may be reading this to decide on which doppelbock to try first, I highly recommend trying Troegenator by Tröegs Brewing Co. first.)

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance - There isn't much head here. The brew pours a very pleasing light brown and ambery red color. It also leaves a pleasant film on the glass and looks consistent with average carbonation.

Smell - It's a bit malty and nutty, but not much going on here. A slight hint of wheat and barley as well.

Taste - It is quite alcoholic and fairly nutty. However, at the same time, it can be very smooth despite being so alcoholic. It is more reminiscent of a nutbrown ale rather than a doppelbock. I would start to taste dark fruits but was then overcome by the taste of alcohol; so much so that at one point the taste reminded me of vodka.

Mouthfeel- A good balance of malts and dark fruits. Tasted very alcoholic at first but then balanced out more as I got used to the taste.

Drinkability - Not very drinkable. I would not drink it frequently and it was a little difficult to get through the whole thing because of how alcoholic it tasted. The nut and fruit tastes were very subtle and I would have preferred the alcohol not overcome them.

St. Victorious has a lot of good things going for it. It has a complex mixture of wheat and dark fruit hints to it. However, I was quite disappointed that these tastes weren't balanced well with the alcohol.

2.7/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

On tap at Carl's Tavern in Wilkins Township, PA.

Poured into a shaker: a ruby-brown, barely translucent body with half-a-finger of smooth tan head, no lacing. Head falls & leaves me trace, had to drop the rating after a while.

Smell is sweet but restrained caramel malt. Good but not much there.

Taste is mild caramel as well, but coupled with a strong boozy taste, pretty sharp, with some spicy, raisiny character & a round, toasty flavor. Good stuff happening, but can't compete with the alcohol, which overwhelms it from the get-go & just grows, getting less & less drinkable.

Medium-bodied, too sharp & dry for my liking. A little sticky in the aftertaste.

Thought this was going to be decent, but after a while I really couldn't find enough good stuff to redeem the big booze & flat malts in this one. Very unbalanced, not into it. I'd give it another chance, but this was not a great experience.

2.81/5  rDev -30.6%

My 100th review. Figured it to be a small victory. So... St.Victorious here I come. Heard/read a lot of hype behing this beer.
12 oz fresh bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Nice clear dark brown, with a reddish hue. Little head recedes into nothingness instantly. No lacing, no retention...Nothing.

S: Virtually nothing. Very little sweet malt. Very unimpressive.

T: Sweet and cloying. Somewhat boozy and astringent. Not nearly as good as expected. Not really complex.

M: Full bodied, syrupy, but no carbonation.

D: Drinkable, but I really don't want to. Not one of the better doppels, IMO. I was really let down by this one. Normally, I like Victory beers better than this.

Average for this brewery is a huge disappointment. I love all of their brews, but this was a shock to my system. This is the only beer from victory that i have drank and did not want another. 8.5% ABV but is boring in its complexity. I guess I like a bolder taste in a beer this strong. Also it seemed to settle too fast with ahint of under-carbonation.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

A- Crimson red body with a foamy white head that gets to be about two fingers. Retention is pretty good. A few small spots of lace from a small ring.

S- Really not much going on to me. I get some toasty nutty malt and dark, somewhat medicinal fruit. Somewhat grainy and a tiny bit roasty.

T- Toasted nutty malt profile with a dark fruit overtone. A bit of roast malt blends in with a general grainy feel. Just a tiny bit of alcoholic flavor. Fair sweets and caramel.

MF- Body is a bit light for me. It has a somewhat watery feel with high carbonation and a fair warmth from the high ABV. Some bitters.

DB- Flavorful but it is strong and a bit medicinal to me. It feels a bit out of balance and just doesn't drink smoothly in my personal opinion. Not bad but there are other style examples I would drink before this.

3.04/5  rDev -24.9%

On tap at the brewpub after samples of several others. Poured into a short imperial glass.

A: Copper penny red. What I found interesting was the head that started thin and ended in the same exact thinness. I mean, this thing went nowhere.

S: Intensely sweet and sugary. Liquor soaked raisins and confectioners sugar. It needed something in the way of hops to bring something to the dance. Diabetics, beware, this is going to be candy like.

T: Abundantly sweet and chocolatey. Mind numbingly sweet with a powdered sugar, cotton candy pounding sweetness. Sugar cookie of a doppelbock in every part and parcel. Was it me or was it like an Old Fezziwig on HGH.

M: Thick, chewy but not that knife and fork thickness that the greats present. Oily and virtual nil in the way of carbonation.

D: Pretty good for what the style should represent outside of the cloying sweetness.
This would be incredibly difficult to session over the course of a night but that's not what it was designed for. Not the best from Victory, had high hopes for their overseas styles.

The alcohol is not the limiting factor, its the feeling of rising blood sugar level.

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

Clear ruby body with a nice one finger tan head.The head looks a bit soapy.

Smell is some carmel and some fruit from the hops maybe.Maybe some plums.

Taste is carmel and some booze it seams.The taste is very sweet.The taste is a bit warming also

The mouthful is bit thin and the carbonation is very easy on the palate also.

This is a ok beer from a great brewery.Ive had the style before but none like this.I dont know if I would have this again.

3.09/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a 2 finger caramel head over a slightly hazed oranged-brown liquid. Smells light noble hops. Musty and a touch grassy with oranges riding in late. Not much here.

Tastes wet sweet with minimal hops. Finish dries a bit and aromatic hop rises to take the main role. No flavors are ever intense. Caramel and a touch of coffee roast. Alcohol is well hidden. Honey and a dash of allpsice. carbonation and alcohol leave a subtle sting that comes acrross as more of a zing in the aftertaste. Hop bitterness becomes apparent as I near the bottom of the galss. It's a flat bitter that not pleasing.

Md thick body and strong carbonation.

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

For starters, I expected this beer to smack me with some impressive. Unfortunately, drinking it just felt so plain and boring. There is nothing necessarily wrong with an average beer, but I just expect a richer deeper more impressive product.

A - virtually no head or lacing which was surprising since I poured the beer rather aggressively. Color has a nice ruby hue to it.

S - I don't really smell all that much. Maybe a little whiff of raisins?

T - A bit sweet, but I actually expected it to be sweeter. Not a domination of malts. I taste a variety of holiday-type fruits but in a very subtle nature (figs, etc). A bit of bitterness on the end which is pleasant.

M - Watery. Where is the thickness? Carbonation is good.

D - Despite it being boring to me, it has above average drinkability.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Enjoy by Dec. 17, 2011. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice trasparent brown with a vibrant red tone, nice color. Nice head, but disappears quickly along with the lacing. Nice nose, lots of caramel, chocolate, malts, and breads up front. The taste is almost metallic or tinny. It took me by surprise, although the flavors came together somewhat the more you drink. Once again, lots of caramel and chocolate. There's also a slight nuttiness as well. Alcohol is noticeable, slightly warm, finishes dry for the most part. Fizzy mouthfeel, but smooth enough. To me, this could be a really great beer, but something didn't connect with me in the flavor department.

There's something holding me back from really enjoying this beer, but I definitely respect it.

3.19/5  rDev -21.2%

12oz bottle obtained via trade with Knapp85. Poured into a Mikkeller tulip glass.

Pours a reddish-ruby colour, with a nice shine to it and a relatively deep tan coloured head of creamy looking foam that dissipates over time to be just film.

Sweet malt aroma, mixed with a touch of smoke and a slight hint of vanilla. Doesn't seem to work too well together though, despite the uniqueness.

Tastes mostly malty and of alcohol, does improve as it warms up. Quite a fullness to the finish of it.

Malt coated mouthfeel to it that has a bit of a tang at the end. Some creaminess comes through.

A little bit all over the place, some high points, some lows as well.

3.22/5  rDev -20.5%

12oz bottle, best before date of January 10, 2012, allowed to warm some before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

St.Victorious pours a deep, clear maroon. Plentiful cherry highlights shine through when the beer is backlit though. The ivory head rises to about 2.5 fingers in height, before slowing collapsing down the side of the glass. Not much is left in the way of lacing though. The nose doesn't quite hit all the marks of a great doppel, but it's still pretty good. It's an almost even blend of milk chocolate and plummy dark fruits. On my palate the beer gains a slight nuttiness, but at the expense of that creamy milk chocolate from the nose morphing into a more bitter, roasted dark chocolate (which doesn't really work for me int he context of the style). The flavor's also a touch weak and watered down. The carbonation is spot on, enough to cut through the malt, while simultaneously remaining in the background and letting those malts take center stage. The body though is way thin for the style. When I'm expecting a big malt bomb of a beer, there's a certain richness to the body that should come along here, and this beer doesn't even come close to that. I've enjoyed most of the other offerings from Victory that I've had, but St. Victorious ranks as a fairly disappointing doppelbock for me.

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a pretty good looking ruby colour with a thick bubbly head that dissolves rather quickly and leaves minimal marks on the glass.

The aroma is, well...I'm just not really picking up anything dominant in the aroma. It's just kind of there and a whole lot of nothing. A real strong whiff brings in a hint of malt and smokiness but that's about it. There's nothing bad about it, but rather it's very very thin.

The flavour brings out the faint aromas much more : smoky malt is again the dominant feature here (although it is far from overpowering in any way...a good thing). There's some caramel sweetness in the front and middle of each sip. Some dark fruit notes come through at the finish of each sip as well, along with an ever so slight hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and not as hearty as I was expecting.

I had heard plenty of good things about this one and as such was eager to try it, but I think it fell a bit flat. Nothing inherently wrong anywhere, just too bland and you have too reach too much to get anything out of the aroma. This is a slightly above average doppelbock that you might enjoy more than I did, but I can certainly think of plenty of others within the style that I'd rather sample again before this one...

3.26/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz. bottle Enjoy by 1.22.08

Tasting against an aged S'muttanator. Quite light against the S'muttanator which enhances drinkability for me. Feels considerably thinner. Same medicine-type aftertaste. Typical of doppelbocks?

App - 3, Smell - 3, Taste -3.5 , Mouth - 3, Drink - 4

Victory- St Victorious

Served up at the 10 year anniversary party.

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a decent fluffy head.
Smell- sweet molasses, sugary syrup, and malt.
Taste- sweet syrupy malt with hints of molasses and cherry.
Mouthfeel- a little to thick and sweet for me. Although smooth and warm on a cold evening.

Overall- a decent doppelbock, just too sweet.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

dark amber with small head that laced well

Smelled fresh and bright. it had a floral fragrance as well. had a slight smell of rubber bands too.

tasted slightly spicy (pepper or ginger maybe)

carbonation was good

fit the style well, but apparently just not really my style. i wouldnt decline an offer for this one, but i wouldn't seek it out either.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

A pretty rustish red with a small beige head. Honey-smoked ham and caramel-coated chocolate in the nose with an intimate aroma too from the fresh hoppaging. The flavor starts the same and then just kinda deflates. It certainly doesn't carry through like I was hoping that it would. Leaves the mouth a little skanky. Too bitter? I think so. Too bland in the end? I think so. This is a decent beer, but not what I expect from a doppelbok. Give me more flavor.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Single from a mix-a-six pack. Poured into a standard pint glass. Dark auburn color with orange highlights. Thin head, which is a bit of a letdown. Smell was malty and boozy. Taste was pretty decent, lots of malt flavor. The biggest gripe I have with this beer is the mouthfeel. Extremely sticky on the palate, and the alcohol profile is way too up front. Not a beer that I would want to have more than one of. An average beer, but not overly enjoyable to drink. The best-by date was 2011, and if I had a second bottle, I would try aging it. Just doesn't seem ready to drink now.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Grabbed a blind beer from the fridge.... This one came courtesy of nlmartin in the Blind Beers #4 BIF... The beer is consumed and reviewed blind-- without any knowledge of the style or brewery.

Poured into my New Belgium Globe glass.

Pours a rusty brownish red... Light beige head of less than 1 finger settled quickly and left little lacing... I'm totally unsure of the style from the looks of it-- but I'm guessing over 8% ABV due to the poor head and retention...

Smells like swiss miss hot cocoa... and some fruits? Hard to pinpoint what it is exactly... A hint of roasty, almost-but-not-quite coffee comes into play. The fruit note reminds me slightly of Nyquil-- but like a mix of the red and the green together. I suppose "medicinal" is probably a flaw in most cases, but it isn't a complete turn-off... Still having a hard time figuring out the style-- perhaps a Scotch Ale of some sort?

Ok.... Taste says this is a lager. Actually, the finish says lager. It is crisp and clean, no hints of esters or other "yeasty" notes... So I'll cross off Scottish Ale from the would-be suspects... Well, if my guess on the ABV is correct, and it is a lager, then I don't have too many options, right?
The taste is dry. Really dry. Bitter, dry, powdery cocoa... No notes of dark fruit, but there is a roasty quality that I would compare to cheap coffee. The finish is crisp and clean-- and VERY dry. No real hop notes-- unless they are responsible for a VERY slight earthy quality I seem to find just before the swallow.

Think of the most cloyingly sweet beer you've ever had-- this beer is that beer's polar opposite. This is so dry I feel like I need water.

In any case, I'm betting this is some sort of bock. Probably an American attempt at the style. The body is medium/full with low carbonation... Not bad. It has a little gritty character that keeps it from scoring really high for me.

Overall-- this isn't bad, but it isn't really one I'd pick up again. It drinks pretty easily.

Reveals bottle to be... Victory- St. Victorious Dopplebock...

Hmmm... Ok. So this is another in the long line of Victory beers that haven't "wowed" me. This is decent though, so it definitely deserves a C+/B-, which is respectable. I have another bottle of this kicking around somewhere-- so I suppose I'll revisit this one and edit the review if I deem fitting.

A-3.5, S-3, T-3.5, M-3, D-3.5

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Dark brown in color with a big billowy head. The head is a mixture of cream in caramel in color. Rather nice. It lingered and lingered and left behind several nice patterns of lace.

S: I was expecting alot of malt and I got it. Nice rich sweet malts. Tons of caramel and toffee with a hint of roasted nut.

T: Hints of dark fruit and brown sugar. Tons of malt. A bit of as well not over the top in any way.

M: Medium to full bodied.

D: Not my favorite style but drinkable nonetheless.

Overall: Not a bad brew, just not my cup of tea. This one has a solid malt character both in nose and taste. Being a hop guy I can probably not appreciate this as much as many. That being said, it's a pretty good beer, rather good for a doppelbock.

3.36/5  rDev -17%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, bald monk giving the peace sign on the label. Nice description, as well as a best by date in 2008 listed on the label.

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown with a great offwhite head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit odd - a bit of cooked vegetable and roasted malt, some caramel, and just a bit of sweetness.

Taste: Medium to thick bodied, lots of flavor subtleties going on here. Heavy on the malt flavors, bready, some caramel and toffee.

Overall impression: Hmm.. this one is interesting - plenty going on here, but I'm not sure if I like the total package. Glad to have tried it though, and happy to see it on the shelves in Colorado, even if it is for a pretty steep price.

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours a ruby red with a creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is very subdued - some sweet and smoky malts.

The flavor is sweet and sugary candy and some dark fruits followed by a grassy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium to full with nice carbonation.

Overall, a decent beer, but nothing too special. I'd go with Fort Collins' Rauchator over this any day.

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

The pour into my Mahr's Der Weisse Bock glass, not even terribly hard, raises a towering 1.5 inch head that settles visibly. It's a medium-light tan, and leaves virtually no lacing. Below, the body is a lovely deep ruby-brown. The nose is a bit acidic and malty, but not as much as expected. There's also a normal, grainy lager scent. The taste is sweet and malty, with an obvious alcoholic kick. Despite being a lager, it has a bit of a berry flavor to it. Even with the alcohol coming through as it does, the taste works for me. Not great, but good. The mouth is on the thick side, close to being syrupy, but in a good way. The carbonation is perfect. A workable DB, but not among Vic'ry's best.

St. Victorious from Victory Brewing Company