St. Victorious - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Limited seasonal draft only release. Doppelbock brewed w/ smoked 2-row German malt from Bamberg.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Victorious Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz bottle, best before date of January 10, 2012, allowed to warm some before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

St.Victorious pours a deep, clear maroon. Plentiful cherry highlights shine through when the beer is backlit though. The ivory head rises to about 2.5 fingers in height, before slowing collapsing down the side of the glass. Not much is left in the way of lacing though. The nose doesn't quite hit all the marks of a great doppel, but it's still pretty good. It's an almost even blend of milk chocolate and plummy dark fruits. On my palate the beer gains a slight nuttiness, but at the expense of that creamy milk chocolate from the nose morphing into a more bitter, roasted dark chocolate (which doesn't really work for me int he context of the style). The flavor's also a touch weak and watered down. The carbonation is spot on, enough to cut through the malt, while simultaneously remaining in the background and letting those malts take center stage. The body though is way thin for the style. When I'm expecting a big malt bomb of a beer, there's a certain richness to the body that should come along here, and this beer doesn't even come close to that. I've enjoyed most of the other offerings from Victory that I've had, but St. Victorious ranks as a fairly disappointing doppelbock for me.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Enjoy by Dec. 17, 2011. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice trasparent brown with a vibrant red tone, nice color. Nice head, but disappears quickly along with the lacing. Nice nose, lots of caramel, chocolate, malts, and breads up front. The taste is almost metallic or tinny. It took me by surprise, although the flavors came together somewhat the more you drink. Once again, lots of caramel and chocolate. There's also a slight nuttiness as well. Alcohol is noticeable, slightly warm, finishes dry for the most part. Fizzy mouthfeel, but smooth enough. To me, this could be a really great beer, but something didn't connect with me in the flavor department.

There's something holding me back from really enjoying this beer, but I definitely respect it.

Victory- St Victorious

Served up at the 10 year anniversary party.

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a decent fluffy head.
Smell- sweet molasses, sugary syrup, and malt.
Taste- sweet syrupy malt with hints of molasses and cherry.
Mouthfeel- a little to thick and sweet for me. Although smooth and warm on a cold evening.

Overall- a decent doppelbock, just too sweet.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a pretty good looking ruby colour with a thick bubbly head that dissolves rather quickly and leaves minimal marks on the glass.

The aroma is, well...I'm just not really picking up anything dominant in the aroma. It's just kind of there and a whole lot of nothing. A real strong whiff brings in a hint of malt and smokiness but that's about it. There's nothing bad about it, but rather it's very very thin.

The flavour brings out the faint aromas much more : smoky malt is again the dominant feature here (although it is far from overpowering in any way...a good thing). There's some caramel sweetness in the front and middle of each sip. Some dark fruit notes come through at the finish of each sip as well, along with an ever so slight hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and not as hearty as I was expecting.

I had heard plenty of good things about this one and as such was eager to try it, but I think it fell a bit flat. Nothing inherently wrong anywhere, just too bland and you have too reach too much to get anything out of the aroma. This is a slightly above average doppelbock that you might enjoy more than I did, but I can certainly think of plenty of others within the style that I'd rather sample again before this one...

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

dark amber with small head that laced well

Smelled fresh and bright. it had a floral fragrance as well. had a slight smell of rubber bands too.

tasted slightly spicy (pepper or ginger maybe)

carbonation was good

fit the style well, but apparently just not really my style. i wouldnt decline an offer for this one, but i wouldn't seek it out either.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A pretty rustish red with a small beige head. Honey-smoked ham and caramel-coated chocolate in the nose with an intimate aroma too from the fresh hoppaging. The flavor starts the same and then just kinda deflates. It certainly doesn't carry through like I was hoping that it would. Leaves the mouth a little skanky. Too bitter? I think so. Too bland in the end? I think so. This is a decent beer, but not what I expect from a doppelbok. Give me more flavor.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

12 oz. bottle Enjoy by 1.22.08

Tasting against an aged S'muttanator. Quite light against the S'muttanator which enhances drinkability for me. Feels considerably thinner. Same medicine-type aftertaste. Typical of doppelbocks?

App - 3, Smell - 3, Taste -3.5 , Mouth - 3, Drink - 4

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Dark brown in color with a big billowy head. The head is a mixture of cream in caramel in color. Rather nice. It lingered and lingered and left behind several nice patterns of lace.

S: I was expecting alot of malt and I got it. Nice rich sweet malts. Tons of caramel and toffee with a hint of roasted nut.

T: Hints of dark fruit and brown sugar. Tons of malt. A bit of as well not over the top in any way.

M: Medium to full bodied.

D: Not my favorite style but drinkable nonetheless.

Overall: Not a bad brew, just not my cup of tea. This one has a solid malt character both in nose and taste. Being a hop guy I can probably not appreciate this as much as many. That being said, it's a pretty good beer, rather good for a doppelbock.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Single from a mix-a-six pack. Poured into a standard pint glass. Dark auburn color with orange highlights. Thin head, which is a bit of a letdown. Smell was malty and boozy. Taste was pretty decent, lots of malt flavor. The biggest gripe I have with this beer is the mouthfeel. Extremely sticky on the palate, and the alcohol profile is way too up front. Not a beer that I would want to have more than one of. An average beer, but not overly enjoyable to drink. The best-by date was 2011, and if I had a second bottle, I would try aging it. Just doesn't seem ready to drink now.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a ruby red with a creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is very subdued - some sweet and smoky malts.

The flavor is sweet and sugary candy and some dark fruits followed by a grassy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium to full with nice carbonation.

Overall, a decent beer, but nothing too special. I'd go with Fort Collins' Rauchator over this any day.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Grabbed a blind beer from the fridge.... This one came courtesy of nlmartin in the Blind Beers #4 BIF... The beer is consumed and reviewed blind-- without any knowledge of the style or brewery.

Poured into my New Belgium Globe glass.

Pours a rusty brownish red... Light beige head of less than 1 finger settled quickly and left little lacing... I'm totally unsure of the style from the looks of it-- but I'm guessing over 8% ABV due to the poor head and retention...

Smells like swiss miss hot cocoa... and some fruits? Hard to pinpoint what it is exactly... A hint of roasty, almost-but-not-quite coffee comes into play. The fruit note reminds me slightly of Nyquil-- but like a mix of the red and the green together. I suppose "medicinal" is probably a flaw in most cases, but it isn't a complete turn-off... Still having a hard time figuring out the style-- perhaps a Scotch Ale of some sort?

Ok.... Taste says this is a lager. Actually, the finish says lager. It is crisp and clean, no hints of esters or other "yeasty" notes... So I'll cross off Scottish Ale from the would-be suspects... Well, if my guess on the ABV is correct, and it is a lager, then I don't have too many options, right?
The taste is dry. Really dry. Bitter, dry, powdery cocoa... No notes of dark fruit, but there is a roasty quality that I would compare to cheap coffee. The finish is crisp and clean-- and VERY dry. No real hop notes-- unless they are responsible for a VERY slight earthy quality I seem to find just before the swallow.

Think of the most cloyingly sweet beer you've ever had-- this beer is that beer's polar opposite. This is so dry I feel like I need water.

In any case, I'm betting this is some sort of bock. Probably an American attempt at the style. The body is medium/full with low carbonation... Not bad. It has a little gritty character that keeps it from scoring really high for me.

Overall-- this isn't bad, but it isn't really one I'd pick up again. It drinks pretty easily.

Reveals bottle to be... Victory- St. Victorious Dopplebock...

Hmmm... Ok. So this is another in the long line of Victory beers that haven't "wowed" me. This is decent though, so it definitely deserves a C+/B-, which is respectable. I have another bottle of this kicking around somewhere-- so I suppose I'll revisit this one and edit the review if I deem fitting.

A-3.5, S-3, T-3.5, M-3, D-3.5

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, bald monk giving the peace sign on the label. Nice description, as well as a best by date in 2008 listed on the label.

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown with a great offwhite head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit odd - a bit of cooked vegetable and roasted malt, some caramel, and just a bit of sweetness.

Taste: Medium to thick bodied, lots of flavor subtleties going on here. Heavy on the malt flavors, bready, some caramel and toffee.

Overall impression: Hmm.. this one is interesting - plenty going on here, but I'm not sure if I like the total package. Glad to have tried it though, and happy to see it on the shelves in Colorado, even if it is for a pretty steep price.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Really good looking beer. Thick frothy tan head that takes a while to settle to a 1/4 inch foam. Dark amber, almost like a belgian dubbel. There isn't much carbonation, maybe due to the thick style or the large ABV. It smells thick with malt and it sort of has that amber-lager-hop smell at the end. The taste wasn't quite what I had expected. I think it tastes more like a bock with a lot of alcohol. It doesn't have that deep, bold, rich sweetness that I enjoy in a doppelbock like Ayinger's Celebrator. It is a well put together beer, but it needs more depth.

First Victory beer I've had that I didn't feel was a great representation of the style. That's alright, 5 out of 6 so far is much better than most breweries.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

The pour into my Mahr's Der Weisse Bock glass, not even terribly hard, raises a towering 1.5 inch head that settles visibly. It's a medium-light tan, and leaves virtually no lacing. Below, the body is a lovely deep ruby-brown. The nose is a bit acidic and malty, but not as much as expected. There's also a normal, grainy lager scent. The taste is sweet and malty, with an obvious alcoholic kick. Despite being a lager, it has a bit of a berry flavor to it. Even with the alcohol coming through as it does, the taste works for me. Not great, but good. The mouth is on the thick side, close to being syrupy, but in a good way. The carbonation is perfect. A workable DB, but not among Vic'ry's best.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma is mostly caramel with subtle fruits.Taste is also caramel with some bread and fruit.Overall a decent beer that is nothing spectacular but something that you would probably buy more than just once!!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown in color with a slight head. Somewhat hazy. Low aroma-somewhat metallic and sharp. Malty enough flavor but has a real homebrew like wang to it. Somewhat nutty taste. Ok body. Overall I am not very impressed. I prefer the helles/maibock from Victory. Rather average for me to be honest

12 ounce bottle to a pint glass
A: I poured it really hard and got only about a half inch of tannish head, and it has fallen in the time it has taken to write this. The beer is a chestnut brown. Very standard. Not very impressive.
S: Nutty malts round out most of the nose on this beer. Light coffee and caramel flavors are noticeable.
T: Hmm, hazelnut and toasted breads. Not as strong with flavor as I would expect. Very simple IMO.
M: Pretty good, a little low on carbonation but smooth as hell. Definetly the high point of this brew.
D: Well I could buy this...or I could spend a few more dollars and get some Celebrator or Korbinian...sorry, the latter wins. I don't know what it is about me and victory, their beers just never live up to the hype.

From notes

A - clear dark caramel brown with some red highlights. Small white head, no lacing.

S - strong bready malts, hints of caramel and a bit of alcohol sting.

T - sweet malts. Toast. Some mild hint of cherries. Long warming alcohol finish.

M - medium bodied. Low carb.

D - decent beer. Fairly drinkable dispite it's high abv. Paired very nicely with some pizza.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Garnet tint through a deep brown, one finger of head that doesn't last. No lacing.

S - Malty, mostly caramel with some coffee, lighter-bodied malts and a touch of smoke. A bit of dates and black pepper sneaks through. Its a pretty interesting mix. Although, oddly enough, it almost smells like sausage at times.

T - A bit of smoky caramel malt flavor. The aftertaste is a lingering smoked spiciness with a bitter finish. Abv is present, but only faintly.

M - A bit of gummy film is left in my mouth. It is thick and creamy, not too refreshing though.

D - Victory is a good brewery, I go into every one of their beers with an open mind, but they have never lived up to the hype. This is no exception. Please don't mistake me, it is a fairly good beer. It is just in no way exceptional and in some ways pretty average. It is easy to drink, especially for the strength, but entirely unsessionable, unless of course, you are looking to have "one of those nights" or to be "that guy." Then this would do just fine.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle

Pours a beautiful chestnut brown with a rich ruby hue. A small tan head fades to the edge of the glass. Mild lacing.

Very unassuming aroma. Light scents of caramel malt with a slight fruitiness. Also, some alcohol is also present.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront with some nice caramel and fruity tones. There is also a noticible smokiness before a slight hop bitterness appears. Finishes sweet with a light lingering bitterness and a hint of alcohol.

Full body, ample carbonation.

A solid dopplebock and easy to consume.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a deep brown with minimal head.. a sweet malted yeasty bread aroma.. medium bodied... initially dry and malty, finishes with a hoppiness that doesn’t seem to flow with the rest of the flavors..

Not what I was expecting for the style.. which in this case is a bad thing.. hard to say much else about it since it was so lackluster.. would try it again but am in no rush to do so.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Nice dark amber-orange. Clear. Very little head; absolutely no head.

Strong metalic aroma. Very little sweet malt. Disappointing.

Better flavor; malty and full bodied. There is good hop balance and enough carbonation to keep the sweetness in check.

This would be a good D-bock if the smell could be rectified.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Very excited to try this beer once it became available in my area; just a few weeks ago.

Poured a nice dark brown/burgundy color in my goblet with a slight tan colored head that didn't stay long, but left behind a touch of scattered lacing. Aromas of malt and alcohol dominate with the faint odor of astringent (Windex or other cleaning substance); not entirely appealing, but above average. The taste was rather watered down with little complexity as the malt didn't seem to have any dimensions. The alcohol was present and worked well with the malt. Felt rather thin in my mouth. I wouldn't mind having a few in a sitting, but it's not nearly as flavorful, complex, or interesting as other doppelbocks I've had. To me this was more like an altbier or unbalanced amber ale rather than a member of the bock family.

3.5/5  rDev -14%