2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Victorious - Victory Brewing Company

St. VictoriousSt. Victorious

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

Availability: Spring

Limited seasonal draft only release. Doppelbock brewed w/ smoked 2-row German malt from Bamberg.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
Ratings: 504 | Reviews: 372 | Show All Ratings:
99bottles

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: On tap at the brewpub, this is served in a tall and slender pint, and has the most beautiful dark garnet body. Atop the beer a tight yellowish-tan head fades to a persistent lace. Beautiful.

Smell: This smells absolutely divine. A full nose of plum and fruit, smooth, rich malts beyond anything I've ever smelled before. Candied sugars and syrup. A sharp malted phenolic twinge prickles the nose.

Taste: This is outstanding. I don't even particularly like the dopplebock style, but this is so good that I ended up taking a six pack home. The rich smells are laid down gently in the taste; smooth candied plums and raisins, some soft carmel, a bit of orange, with a smoothness that is transcendent. What's more, this ends with a bit of a smokey note. This is balanced impeccably. The hops are tight and hide behind all the malted flavor, yet they are there to add structure and to make this so smooth. The complexity is different than say a Celebrator, it's less intense and less viscous, yet equally flavorful. Quite an accomplishment.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I've never had such a malty beer that drank so lightly. This is amazing, considering that it's up around 9%. This is the antithesis of cloying. This is so nice, with just enough carbonation to keep it on the tip of the tounge, that it is just utterly drinkable, even for a style I've never found drinkable. This is great. This is incredible. I'm interested to see if the bottles are just as nice. I would think so. Make the pilgramage before it's too late.

02-20-2005 00:17:51 | More by 99bottles
goindownsouth

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Finally, finally I get to sample this beauty...

A rich, darkened amber brew was poured before me, thanks to Kerry at Victory... The head was thin on top and left little more than faint memories throughout the glass-full... A strong malt aroma with hints of cherries perhaps, not to mention a faint aroma of hops, and a light smokiness. Smooth but not all too creamy, this dopplebock is a chewy, malty brew, which is never a bad thing... Some reviews say the St. Victorious may not be as good as versions past. I really cannot comment on that as this is my first go-around with this gem. All I can say is, I enjoy it... ALL of it...

Prosit!

02-16-2005 12:17:45 | More by goindownsouth
kegerator

Maryland

another outstanding beer from Victory. I sampled this from a Growler my bro brought down for me...
poured out a deep mahogany color with hints of copper and ruby with a 1/2 inch head that dwindled to a slight film and ring. lacing was minimal.
smell was big malt sweetness with hints of candied sugar, cherry and caramel.
Taste is about the same as the aroma with a slightly dry finish and a nice alcohol bite.
this was an exceptional beer from an exceptional brewery.

02-11-2005 13:42:44 | More by kegerator
Erix

Vermont

Bottle filled pint glass
Appearance: This is a nice, dark glass of beer here. Not the pitch black of a porter, but a mahogany darkness highlighted by hints of red. Decent head from the pour, which subsided to an off white skin with a foamy ring around the glass.
Smell: The sweet smell of malt hit me as soon as the bottle was opened. Comes across mostly as dark fruit, with a nice softness to it. I like it.
Taste: Very tasty! Doppelbocks are not my usual style, so I'm having a little trouble picking out flavors. Of course malt dominates, giving a very rounded taste. Plum, and maybe carmel? It ends with a spiciness that I suspect comes from the alcohol. Good stuff.
Mouthfeel: Incredibly creamy and smooth, with a little bit of alcohol warming. Less than I expected from a beer this strong though.
Drinkability: I am pouring this stuff into my mouth at a dangerous rate, and would gladly continue to do so for the rest of the night, if I did not have to work tomorrow.

02-03-2005 03:31:35 | More by Erix
maybrick

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

I'm quite honored to report the first three people to have this brew publicly were Brew Masters Ron Barchet, bill Covaleski, and myself.

We had it tonight (1/31/2005) and I just can't get over what the new brewhouse is doing!

Upon the pour and rasing it to the light I found it to be a dark ruby color. Head retention is great and translates well to mouthfeel. In all honesty - you know the expression "like a party in your pants?" Well this is like that except it's in your mouth. My goodeness! The malt profile is like ripened plums with a bit of smoke and then like a carmel candy. I love this stuff!

It has attenuated greatly and is SO smooth that thre isn't a detecable alchol burn even though it weighs in at 8.4 ABV!

I highly remomend this brew!

02-01-2005 01:52:15 | More by maybrick
JackTheRipper

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Dark amber~brown in color. Thin but persistent head with a touch of lacing.
S: Heavy notes of a toasty malt aroma. There's also a sweet spicey smell here, some clove aromas are noted. I had my nose in the glass nearly from start to finish, this one is a beer to savor.
T: Complex ripe fruity/spicey flavors. There's a generous malty character, with just a hint of hops, enough to keep this from being overly sweet.
M: Very nice level of carbonation. Alcohol is strongly warming. There's a syrupy mouthfeel to this one that carries the flavors all around the mouth and really enhances things.
D&N: Yes, I gave it a five. This one has everything I like, it's a great example of the style; great smells and flavors, and it's from my state. Had this one on tap at Sharp Edge Beer Emporium with beergeek279 and cupbeerman.

05-17-2004 13:22:06 | More by JackTheRipper
stingo

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Had on tap at home - pours a rich orangey amber with a creamy white head. Some nice lacing too. Both parts of the mouth (front and back) are made happy by the texture and the taste of this magnificent beer. Nice malt flavor at the front and a very agreeable dryness at the back. This elegant seasonal makes the year round Festbier seem clumsy and awkward by comparison. Also beware, it hides its 8.5% ABV well. Run, don't walk to Victory to taste it before it's all gone (esp as it is not available in bottles).

04-08-2004 01:05:31 | More by stingo
beergeek279

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Served in an imperial pint at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse. The color was a dark amber, with a wispy white head. The smell was a strong sweet malt. The taste started with a strong malt sweetness and then the low-alpha hops grew into the taste a bit, and the alcohol was almost unnoticable. Mouthfeel was nice and thick. As for drinkability, I definitely wanted quite a few more of these.

Thank you to Victory for sending this gem of a beer over to Western PA. A dopplebock that stands up with Salvator and Celebrator as amongst the best in style. Quite good, and as long as it's around, this will be one of the beers I'll naturally gravitate towards.

04-06-2004 22:46:35 | More by beergeek279
rdrummer

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this on tap at Victory during the BA Philly Rally. It was the first time that I tried it, and the first double bock that I had for a while. It is a beautiful looking beer with its dark amber color and small white head. It has a malty aroma with the hint of some kind of fruitiness. It seems to have an odd hint of citrus that I didn’t expect. The taste is a sweet malty explosion with that fruity rounding at the end that makes it a special brew. The feel is the mouth is one of creaminess, slightly thick. This was drinkable from first sip to last. I had no time for a second but on another trip, I will be sampling again.

04-03-2004 22:27:50 | More by rdrummer
pezoids

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at Victory at the Philly gathering. This really is a gorgeous strong lager. Poured a very clear amber-reddish color and was topped off with a small head of syrupy cream foam. Thick and sweet malt nose, with cordial-like fermented fruit. The taste is full of flavor and complete with malty sweet and syrupy fruit and even some hot cinnamon spiciness. Very smooth and full bodied. Small orange rind bitterness comes through in the finish and remains in the back of the throat. Well made.

04-03-2004 13:25:43 | More by pezoids
stewart124

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark mahogany color with an off-white head that hangs around for a bit. Smells of dark malts and spices. Slight hints of cinnamon come to mind as well as plums and raisins. Strong tastes of old aged malts and bits of hops hit the palate followed by a warming alcohol feel that warms the stomach and brings a smile. Delcious tastes of fruits such as plums and rum raisins bring this beer to a nice complexity. Very nice brew.

04-01-2004 23:23:10 | More by stewart124
ManekiNeko

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a sample cup at the Michael Jackson Beer tasting held at RFD's.

Appearance: A slightly murky cherry red/burgundy colored liquid topped by a light tan head that dissipated to a small ring of foam. No real lacing of note was left.

Smell: Aromas of prunes, cherries, assorted fruits, and caramelized malts beckon you, sirenlike, to sip upon their goodness.

Taste: Mesmerized by the siren-song of the nose, a hearty quaff gives you sweet and dark caramel malt flavors with a hint of smokiness lingering in the background.

Mouthfeel: Solid medium body. Nice and crisp.

Drinkability: A lovely and contemplative beer. One to quaff while poring over the Old Testament or maybe Homer, I'd say. I'd have no problems drinking a decent amount of this stuff.

Marginalia: In a total beer geek moment, and I blame Randall th' Enamel Animal for this, I was able to pick out the rauch malts used in this. It's such a small amount of rauch that you'd be hard pressed to taste it if you didn't know beforehand. I "blame" Randall for this since all the other taste receptors in my mouth were still reeling from Randallized 120 Minute IPA. The only thing that I could taste with assured clarity was smoke.

04-01-2004 04:04:55 | More by ManekiNeko
pheurton

4.72/5  rDev +16%

1/2 gallon growler: glowing burnt crimson with a creamy beige head that retreats to a small collar, but leaves little patches of lace on the glass. caramel-dipped candy apple aroma with a touch of noble hops. relatively low carbonation results in a creamy and full mouthfeel. layers upon layers of malt complexity are mind boggling. i taste toasted munich malts, all kinds of fruit, and a caramel backbone. light earthy hops come in at the end to keep things toned down just enough. the drinkability is amazing, considering the style and ABV. the first quaffable doppelbock i've ever had. just fantastic stuff.

03-31-2004 22:13:17 | More by pheurton
Jason

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Obvious decoction mash here, some many complex levels of maltiness it is crazy! Nice layer of hop bitterness to keep any kind of cloying sweetness away. The mouth feel was so creamy from the dense malt body. Tasted of freshly baked brown bread with a hint of spicy alcohol.

On of the best domestically brewed Double Bocks I have had to date.

03-31-2004 12:00:19 | More by Jason
Edwin

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Served on tap at Victory Brewing Company.

Appearance - An amber/brown color like a strong Lager. Not so much head on top, but most Doppelbocks I have had don't have a lot of head to them.

Smell - A malty, fruity mix with pssibly a dash of a hop scent mixed in. Some candy-like smells come through as the glass gets emptier.

Taste - Malty and fruity with some sweetness and a slight alcohol tinge. A very nice spring offering.

Mouthfeel - Deadly smooth and easy to drink. Thank goodness I was trying to sample different beers, or else i'd have been swimming in these. They go down too fast and easy!

Drinkability - I wanted to drown myself in this one, but the 8.5% scared me off, as I was driving 75 miles home. Definitely a good offering from a very good brewery. Thumbs up!

03-28-2004 21:03:00 | More by Edwin
WVbeergeek

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Wow, I tell you what there are breweries out there that claim to be world class, but Victory doesn't have to act, they are the real deal. This authentic German style Strong dark lager or Doppelbock is dead on, pours a ruby deep amber tone off white cream colored head not very thick and doesn't stick around very long leaves behind specks of lace on my imperial pint. Aroma deep plentiful layers of malts supporting a cast of other stars, the German Hallertau whole leaf hops and plum esters. Smells predominantly of fruit soaked in alcohol with caramel malts around the edges, hmm hmmmm good. Flavor is flowing with a wave of malts creating over ripened fruit notes and a touch of hop flavor bringing mild but perfect bitterness to the table, I think I'm in love. Rolls down the palate with a slick slightly syrupy texture and medium body packs a nice punch with 8.5% abv. Suprisingly incredibly smooth and drinkable, I am sold never had two doppelbocks in a row, I had two imperial pints of this with dinner tonight damn good. If this is an option I will pass on Celebrator, Salvator, or any other (insert word here)ator knockoff.

03-26-2004 06:18:43 | More by WVbeergeek
nomad

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

1/2 gallon growler

Gorgeous deep ruby with fine carbonation supporting a wispy head. Fairly consistent lacing is moderate and slick. Starts with a thick foamy head but settles away to nothing. The color is most impressive, shining transparent and gem-like.

Smells like a fruit cordial, along the lines of maraschino cherries wrapped in a thin caramel sauce and a nice drop of alcohol. Opens to Munich malts, among others, with a wonderfully grainy accent. Builds a creamy and nutty sense that gently melds into the fruity, malty core. Classy and almost liqueur-like on the nose.

Like its smell, it comes across with a first flavor of a cherry cordial that is actually only faintly sweet, leading to an even better flavor of figs' skin, meat, pit, and all. Next come roasty notes turning to musty/earthy notes with a soft, mellow noble hops deftly blended in. Like a good doppel should, it has rough and sizable malt rippling through the whole profile. Mellow but full of bockness, it slowly develops a smooth sense of grainy, earthy flavors of molasses. Has the definition of a nutty finish from first to last pint.

Yet as fruity, roasty, and quietly dark as it tastes, St. Victorious is in sum none of the above. It has a serene, creamy, and smooth approach that expresses a deep sophistication hard to find in others of the style.

Full bodied but slick, it slides back way too easy. At the brewpub, at home, this beer's mouthfeel greatly helps its dangerous drinkability. I could write about its mouthfeel as much as its flavor - smooth, big, yet silky. Exquisite. God bless the man who figured out the decoction brewing method.

I've been waiting eight months to quaff this beauty, anticipating its release since the first day I became a Philly resident. Take a trip to the brewery to taste the care and love that exudes through this creation.

03-20-2004 16:23:02 | More by nomad
JimsArcade

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

St. Victorious is back on tap at Victory!

The beer is poured into a 12 oz. glass with minimal foam, but what is there is white and lacy on the sides of the glass, like the remnants of a Belgian ale's head. It is deep cinnamon in color.

The aroma is barely detectable, both in the nose and in the mouth. There is a slight hint of a doughy-malt aroma, but it takes effort to discover it.

The first sip is a complete and utter shock given the mild aroma. This is a BOLD beer! The unbelievably strong flavors of the German malts and hops vie for dominance, and are pretty much even through mid-glass. The carbonation reminds me again of a Belgian brew, only this beer's level is practically off the charts. The combination of this and the nearly-overwhelming level of alcohol make this beer tingle without relent in the mouth. It is a very dry beer: there is no hint of sweetness whatsoever. As the beer warms near the finish, the malt and alcohol become dominant and the mouthfeel remains energetic.

I was disappointed when I first brought this beer to my nose, but once I started drinking it I was floored. I only wish now that I opted for the 20 oz. glass. Highly recommended!

03-12-2004 03:29:35 | More by JimsArcade
cerevisiaephilus

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

My second favorite Victory brew after HopDevil, this beer is outstanding. Drinking it fresh on tap in one of the 0.5L German style glasses in the spring is an awesome experience. The beer is so beautifully malty it almost makes me shed a tear. Then I realize its only available for the spring and definately not where I live currently (Indiana) and I acutally do shed a tear. This beer is overwhelmingly smooth. The malty goodness is not too sweet, not too dry, just right in my humble opinion.

09-08-2003 20:32:23 | More by cerevisiaephilus
bierman2000

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Creamy, delicious and malty with an opaque dark reddish brown color.. excellent Belgian lace throughout the glass and very chocolaty as well as that kick of alocohol. Mouthfell is smooth and velevety but be warned this Doppelbock will hit you hard due to the ABV..very drinkable but very dangerous.

07-29-2003 16:30:38 | More by bierman2000
Jarod

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer came to me a brown/copper/amber color that was clear. The head was a cream/light tan color that was not that dense and lasting. Semi-decent carbonation was felt on the tongue. I did not really notice a lace. The aromas that came from the glass were of dark rich malts, dandelions, and some dark fruits (plum, raison) It has a solid rich flavor that was really good. I tasted caramel, dark malts, light cocoa, dark sweet fruits, roasted nut, light earth and some bitter hops (which was not overbearing, rather enjoyable.) This beer is not over powering in any departments, all smells and flavors are well balanced. It left a great feeling in 3 senses; my mouth, nose and even eyes were all pleased. Another score for VICTORY.

04-07-2003 09:22:47 | More by Jarod
frank4sail

Average for this brewery is a huge disappointment. I love all of their brews, but this was a shock to my system. This is the only beer from victory that i have drank and did not want another. 8.5% ABV but is boring in its complexity. I guess I like a bolder taste in a beer this strong. Also it seemed to settle too fast with ahint of under-carbonation.

03-27-2002 16:43:34 | More by frank4sail