Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,576 | Hads: 5,610

[my review is updated for the 2007 release]

I rated this beer 4.1 when I tried the 2006 release. The 2007 release deserves a new review and my first 5 rating.

For 2007, the hops have been toned down a bit and the chocolate has been turned WAY up. I love chocolate stout, so this is a good thing.

This beer deserves a new category, "imperial chocolate stout."

The hops are there and come through in the smell. But the taste is so perfectly balanced that no one component dominates. There is something in here for every stout lover: some hops, some malt, lots of chocolate, just a hint of vanilla - a bit of everything.

This would be a great beer to drink with dessert.

The mouthfeel is perfect, not syrupy at all. Velvety.

Run, don't walk, to get some of this beer!

I poured this beer, labeled 10/15/02, into a snifter. It poured a dark black body with a beautiful white/tan, almost purplish in the right light, head. It definitely could be mistaken for the foam of a mocha or cappuccino.

The nose to this beer was breathtaking. Hoppy, malty, chocolatly, slight coffee smells. just layer upon layer of aromas.

The initial taste is actually very subdued and mellow. Followed by a rush of intense stout flavors. Waves of chocolate, freshly roasted malts, toffee, subtle coffee, balanced hop bitterness, and even an earthy hop flavor that hints that this beer might be dry hopped.

The flavor takes it time to disappear. It lingers off into an even more impressive finish. This is when a lot of the coffee/espresso flavors come to the forefront and linger.

Overall this beer is quite amazing. It really reminds me of a combination of an imperial stout and barely wine. But, in my opinion, why this beer deserves an all 5 rating, is how perfectly balanced, and well crafted it is. All of the flavors are in your face, but none overpower the others. All of the tastes are so REAL; you can almost taste the coffee, the chocolate, or the roasted barley. Victory has really outdone themselves with this beer.

Well, I do not think I can add anthing about this beer that no one else has said. This is a great beer, the black color with the tan head that last and last. By far the best beer that I have ever tasted. Well it looks like I will be getting another sixer of this when I am in Syracuse. No wonder it is #1.

Bar none this should be the stout that all other stouts strive to be. This beer changed my life...

I was your typical Miller Lite 12 pack a sitting guy until I had this. If you are in an all day drinkfest this IS NOT your beer or you will be stone cold pie whacked.

Warning, it is hard to go back to the typical selections after having this.

This is the first perfect score that I have given out. I had this perfect beer in a 12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a thick deep black with one finger of gorgeous caramel head. The head hsa a fair retention, and there is some lacing left on the glass. The smell is rich in roasted malt, coffee, and caramel with a bit of hops. The taste is a great blend of roasted coffee, molasses, and chocolate, and there are plenty of hops to balance it perfectly. The mouthfeel is very heavy, yet this brew is still very smooth. The drinkability is the best I've ever had in a stout, even at 9.1%. This is really the king of stouts!

This stout commands respect from start to finish. Huge tan head
that has a mind of it's own. It keeps growing after your done pouring! The lacing never let's go. The aroma of expreso and fresh hops and bakers chocolate is just a sneek preview of what to expect. Then the mouthfeel is so creamy and tingly at the same time. This stout is so well balanced. No one flavor over takes another. The roasted malts, The coffee. the hops, chocolate, caramel, licorice, and dark black rasberries. And even with all these lush flavors the finish still is dry and dusty!! I just had a bells
expedition stout last week and this beer is in the same league. Cheers!

A: Beautiful appearance. This brew has a black velvety body in which no light can pass though, and a mocha colored, two fingers of foam that stick to the sides of my tulip. Very creamy looking. Good head retention for a RIS. Drink by sep. 27, 2011. That's 4 years from now.

S: Very strong aroma. Sweet with dried fruit, vanilla, toffee, and caramel. This smells great.

T: Wow! Fruitiness, hoppiness, spiciness. This beer has it all. Sweet caramel malt followed by dried fruits, then hops, nice roastiness, and finishes with a spicy alcohol note. This is definitely a must try brew.

M: Thick chewy mouthfeel. Low carbonation, with a nice velvety mouthfeel. Slips off of your tongue and leave an excellent feel.

D: This is a must try if you're a fan of any kind of stout. I could drink these all night. Another great brew by Victory.

First I would like to say that I bought this keg on the recommendation of the BA. When poured into the glass it is BLACK, no light gets through. The head is thick, rich and a creamy mocha tan. It lasted. The lace was beautiful, the same color as the head, and it draped the inside to the last sip. The aroma was amazing and complex and intense. I nosed coffee, chocolate, berries (as it warmed), floral, malt and hops. The taste was amazing, full and smooth. I tasted chocolate, coffee, milk, fruit (berries), roasted malt and hops. Temperature plays a role in this beer. The warmer it got the more intense and distinct the flavors became. It starts off alittle sweet then all the flavors jump at you and then it has a dry long lasting finish. GREAT BEER

Upon the first drink of this delectable brew, there was only one phrase that came to my mind…Yabba-Dabba-Doo, Yoo-Hoo, Scooby Doo! This is one absolutely amazing beer. It pours a thick, black color topped off by a fluffy tan, almost brown head. For an Imperial Stout, the head retention was very impressive. It faded down slowly and remained fully intact until the last drink. The aromas of sweet malts and dark roasted coffee beans forces it’s way straight up your nose directly into your brain…I have honestly never smelled something all the way up in my brain! It was amazing! The alcohol was totally masked by that sweet, sweet aroma. Then came the tasting…ahh, there’s that masked alcohol forcing itself on the taste buds. The sweet, maltiness of the aroma represents itself very well in the taste. I also detected a hint of nuttiness in the finish. This brew is exceptionally balance, very smooth and easy to drink. I think I could drink this all day and night, or at least until the 9.1% ABV knocks me on my ass. This is the only beer that I have every given a total rating of 5 on and it is very well deserved. I can’t wait to taste this one in a few months after it ages for a while.

Was down in Philly visiting the brother-in-law and family and he took me to a local beer distributer. Was completly overwellmed by the selection of beers I've never heard of but with some persuasion decieded on this one and WOW. Poured DARK with a thick dark creamy head smelled wonderful and tasted even better. Had my first one and decided I had to eat something to sober up a little. CRAZY off of one beer!!!

Most stouts are good, really good. But some are great. Storm King is one of the greats. There are several mysteries lurking in the darkness of this brew. The roasted flavor blends with a malt sweetness that is balanced by plenty of hops. The hops are my favorite aspect of the complex stout, its rare that the hops shine through such darkness that the Storm King brings.

Ok... So I'm reticent to give a 5.
But as I'm sure most people know who have had this wonderful brew, this is miraculous. Liquid perfection.

Appearance: Black... as dark as night. Pours with a huge foamy head, which very slowly subsides to a light brown cap on top of this black brew.

Smell: Huge toffee smell.... I could smell this all day long... but then I wouldnt be able to drink it =P

Taste: Chocolate, Toffee, with a bit of alcohol in the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thick, chunky, mmmm.

Drinability: .... do I actually need to answer this?

I will just say.... probably my favorite beer... I simply cannot think of anything wrong with it.... flawless.

Saved for my 300th Review.
Wow. Pours pitch black in color with what appears to be only an average sized tan colored head at first that continues to grow long after you’ve finished pouring and develops into a mountainous thick and creamy head. Several minutes after the head was fully formed, it still showed almost no signs of receding, and it coats the walls of the glass with heavy sheets of lace as you drink. The presence of hops is very apparent in the aroma along with notes of fresh espresso and chocolate liqueur. Very full-bodied with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Flavors of roasted malts and bitter-sweet chocolate are present up front followed by notes of buttery toffee, dark coffee, and a bit of liquorish. Some tastes of dark fruits also come along towards the end along with some bitter hop leaf flavors. The bitter hop oils and tannins remain in a lasting aftertaste. Very delicious. An absolutely incredible beer. Thanks to paceyourself for sending me this brew!

This beer is amazing!

After taking one sip I knew I was in for a treat. It pours very dark with a nice thick brown head leaving great lace on the glass as you drink it.

The taste explodes in your mouth and never seems to stop. Chocolatey/Coffee notes on the palate, and a generous hopping add to a very complex mouthfeel. Even as the beer goes down your throat, with it's warming feel, the aftertaste keeps kicking with hops.

The complexity of this beer is amazing, and it's incredible drinkability makes it a little dangerous (quite the potent alcohol kick!)...as I can see myself drinking a lot of it!!

This beer is definitely my favourite Winter beer so far.

A - Pours out a thick, opaque liquid with a thick brown foam. Excellent stickiness and retention.

S - Smells incredibly hoppy for a stout - grapefruit first and foremost, followed by some fruitiness. After a while lots of chocolate start coming through as well.

T - Very bitter, some molasses sweetness up front, big juicy citrus/grapefruit in the middle and finishes quite dry and bitter with a distinct cocoa flavour. 2nd sip is bittersweet chocolate up front, citrus middle again, and a hoppy finish. Take 3, more roastiness coming through but still as hoppy. Alcohol is showing more now as well.

M - Chewy but with a fresh menthol character that lightens it somewhat (I think it's something to do with the hoppiness).

D - This is really <any expletive> good. Apparently this is my 401st review, and the first full "5" rating for me.

Try pouring this in a glass and holding it to the light; I defy you to see any get through. This is the blackest stuff I've ever seen. Then the taste -- a hint of chocolate (just a bit), espresso, and just enough bitterness from the hops. Amazing. This is why I love beer.

4.99/5  rDev +21.7%

This is one of my top 5 beers of all time. This is definitely on the hoppy side for a stout, which I love. To me this could almost be classified as a black IPA. The smell of this beer is mind-blowing, and the taste follows suit. Not too thick and moderately carbonated for a "stout". This will not disappoint. Best Victory beer I have had so far. Amazing.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow. This is one amazing brew. Absolutely the blackest black ever. Not one ray of light gets through this stuff. Pours with a nice head that sinks down to a clinging lace. I picked up aromas of dark chocolate, dark fruits, and a very faint alcohol aroma. The first thing that hits my tongue is chocolate and espresso, lots and lots of both. Lots of roasted malts too. A very chewy beer, very creamy in the mouth. For as full bodied and chewy as this beer is I find it incredibly drinkable. It is like my taste buds just can't get enough of it and my somach has no objections to more and more of it. An absolutely awesome beer.

Reviewed from notes some time in December 11

Poured jet black into a snifter.

The smell of this one is hops, chocolate, big malts and a small coffeee.

Taste, Wow what a big awesome flavor you get big malts, chocolate, minor coffee and a really nice hop kick. Creamy mouthfeel with a slight bitter bite towards the end.

This is my favorite stout I love the big hops and the big flavor and I really love the small price tag!

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Sweet Victory. This is one I can't resist. This is top shelf. If you have a macro-drinking friend, give them this. If they can't recognize its greatness, give up. They don't get it.

Smells sweet, malt, chocolate, coffee, fruit.

Pours slick from bottle, black color, frothy inviting tan head.

Tastes like a stout should. Complex full-bodied with hints of citric, robust malt. Damn good.

ABV is barely believable, this beer is so drinkable. But after about two, you'll have no trouble believing the ABV.

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Bottled on date of Nov. 18th 2005.

A: Espresso black with a bubbly one finger dark beige head which quickly dissipates leaving a light ring with light sticky lacing.

S: First breath is of fruity alcohol and toasted chocolate malt. Crisp aromatic hops with toffee and coffee. This brew has an interesting nutty almost peanut note as well as a buttery smell.

T: Smoky dark chocolate, toffee and coffee with crisp bitter hops. Taste is like butter, with the alcohol content hidden exceptionally well. Smoky and nutty notes.

M: Chewy chocolate feel. Good carbonation with a dry finish.

D: The alcohol is so well hidden that all you get is taste, and this beer tastes awesome. I will definetly be picking this up for a nice winter warmer.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

An exceptional beer in every category...Deep black color, perfectly creamy tan head. It stayed and laced the glass perfectly. Nice smooth balanced chocolate, roasted fruit aroama. Plums, raisans, and sweet hit the nose. The taste was everything to be expected. Heavy chocolate taste, balanced with some unexpected hoppyness. Perfectly smooth, silky chocolate finish and feel. Flavors are perfectly balanced and more subtle than the Old Rasputin, lacks any harsh bitter finish. It would be a dream to have on tap. Another highly hyped Victory product that lived up to the hype.
3 Cheers to Victory....................

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

Getting huge aromas of that whole flower fruity almost cherry or in this case blueberry smell. A bit piney as well and then underneath you get the subtle coffee, chocolate and sweet dark roasted malts.

It's sweet up front with the chocolate and coffee and sweet dark roasted bitter malts up front and then the piney, fruity hop resin taste. You get a bit of the alcohol in there as it warms. When it does warm the hops subside just a bit and the dark roasted sweet malt and the chocolate coffee taste comes through a bit more.

This beer comes in two phases really. When its cold its all about the strong bitter hops with the stout flavors residing a bit behind it and then they come out more as it warms with the hops still playing a good role. Its almost like a black IPA in my mind which I dont mind at all because I love IPA's and the taste of Pacific Northwest hops.

What I like the most about this beer is definitely its hoppy character for a stout but not only that but how they meld the dry bitterness from the dark roasted coffee chocolate malts with the whole flower hops so well. The whole flower hops definitely give it that more hoppy flavor than you'd find in a stout but it really is quite a beer.

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

totally wicked lookin' owl face comming from the darkness with purple lightening and a crown. no extra points for that though-there's no room for them. as soon as i poped the top off the smell hit the air and lit it up with molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, some earth tones and a touch of floral odor. it poured a gorgeous dark and it's probably opaque. dark tan coco colored head is very sturdy and leaves impressive sheets of lace down the inside of the glass. the flavors are great! death by chocolate first and some hints of honey glide me into a sweeter ripe fruit/dried fruit like figs. that fleets as quickly to reveal a solid malt and toast. it feels like it actually roasts and eventually chars on my palate. it really dries up and becomes plesantly bitter and crisp on the finish. it leaves a hint of honey that i found perticularly nice. the mouthfeel is in my opinion creamy and soft yet definately for real. i couldn't wait to have another!

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

Definitely one of the best, if not the best, stouts I've ever had. Every sip is a pleasure. The complexity and fullness are strong down to the last drink.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company