Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,587 | Hads: 5,664
3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I wanted to like this more than I did. As others are saying, intense roast, very hoppy, aggressive carbonation. The nose was very unappealing with a strange barnyard top note.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours black with a small head; little lacing.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, caramel, toffee, hops.

Taste: Mocha/espresso chocolate, coffee, dark malts, caramel, toffee, bitter hops. A little too bitter. Too much coffee and bitter chocolate. Acidic element, and the alcohol is not hidden.

Mouthfeel: Not as full or creaming as other russian imperial stouts

Drinkability: I'm not a fan, would not drink again.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ba Review #250
Served On: 1/30/2013
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV: 9.1%
Date/ Code: 7/20/12

This 12oz bottle was from a sixer I found at Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick.

Look: Poured a super black color with some dirty brown tinges along the edges. Initial head was 2-fingers of a frothy tan foam. Some spotty lacing, but nothing too crazy. Carbonation level seemed sort of low.

Smell: I could smell the hops right after cracking open the bottle. Sweet juniper and a sharp sassafras hop note. Also a roasted coffee character was behind the hoppy bouquet.

Taste: First up was an herbal hoppiness that gave way to a coffee-like bitterness. The bitterness continued into the finish where some malt sweetness seemed to set in. The aftertaste was fairly dry with the hops returning with that sharp resin quality.

I would consider this beer more of an Imperial American Black Ale instead of a RIS. The use of hops basically dominated both the aroma and the palate. This was defiantly a Stout brewed for hop lovers.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

Appearance: Very dark brown with a creamy light brown, two finger head. Very nice, and just how I would like a stout to look. A decent bit of the head lingered for most of the glass, with a high amount of lacing.

Smell: The alcohol is definitely evident in the aroma. Fruit seems to be the dominant aroma, but I can't place it exactly (maybe plums?). Hints of hops - must less than I expected, considering the taste.

Taste: Fruity, bitter, and sweet. A very nice hoppy kick in the aftertaste. Coffee also comes through. The taste doesn't linger nearly long enough, however. Despite smelling it, I don't taste any of the 9.1% ABV. Hops are the most prevalent flavor, and become more dominant as the beer warms. A tiny bit of the alcohol kick also comes through as the beer warms. Not very balanced.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin. Highly carbonated, but a very thin mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Dangerously easy to drink, as the alcohol is masked very well. It did warm my stomach after awhile, even though it didn't come through in the taste. However, I was kind of disapointed by this. It has the hoppiness of an IPA, the color/alchohol content of an imperial stout...but doesn't really succeed at being either.

This was my first really 'hoppy' dark beer, so maybe I'm just not that in to the style - I would prefer either hoppy or dark, but not necessarily one at the same time.

For me, this was a case of looks being decieving. It poured beautifully, but that was the most enjoyable part of this beer. I doubt I would buy it again, but I wouldn't necessarily refuse it. It wasn't bad, but I guess it's just not a beer I prefer.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is almost like a black ipa. All I got was hops on the nose. Non of the notes you would expect from an Imperial stout. The same thing with the taste.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Very dark coffee colored with a thin mocha lacing. Great looking beer.

S - Not a strong aroma but what is evident are scents of Coffee and Roasted malt, with a slight hoppiness.

T - Roasted Malt is dominant but a strong hoppy bitterness follows. The bitterness becomes increasingly stronger as you drink this beer - the taste of coffee fights for its part.

M - Medium bodied and smooth, with little carbonation. The bitter roasted flavor was overwhelming though and stays with you long after your last sip.

D - The bitterness was to much for me - overwhelming. One's enough.

A - Black, not much of a head
S - I consider this to be a little spicey smelling - it will wake your nose up.
T - Almost too spicey in flavor for me. A beer I have to be in the mood for paired with the right meal and beer to precede it.
M - A little creamy and relatively rich. Not oily - more clean.
D - I would drink two of these at most. I would say it lingered in my hand longer than most beers - maybe because I wasn't wild for it. Better than most beers because I am a fan of stouts in general but I would place it in the bottom half of stouts I have had.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Pours a dark solid black with a strong brown head. Lots of lacing and head retention.

S - Smell is a bit faint. Some citrusy hops and faint roasted malts.

T - Taste is a bit rough. Burnt roasted coffee and some bitter citrus hops. Seems like it could be better balanced. Strong, but almost harsh.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Smooth, full-bodied, and creamy.

D - High abv paired with some unbalanced flavors probably means I won't be having too many more of these.

Notes - A decent beer for a cold winter's night, but there's probably better ones out there. Just seems a bit off.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

I have nothing more that the other 990 reviews probably say but I'm giving my 2 cents anyway. Pours so opaque you cannot even see the carbonation. Small beige head that stays around only around the edge. Smells of caramel, chocolate, fresh hops (this one had not been cellared at all). Too hoppy, without a malt balance. A bit on the burnt side. Medium body and though drinkable, it disappointed me.

I'll still keep the others cellared for a while and re-edit as necessary.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into snifter glass. First impression was typical imperial stout, nice, thick head with decent amount of lacing. Very dark, might as well have been pitch black.

Smells strongly of heavily roasted malts and hops but not much else.

The taste compliments the smell almost perfectly. Both are very strong on the senses, slight burn on the throat. I'm disappointed at the lack of complexity in taste. Definitely higher on the hoppy scale with no other flavors to balance it out, I might have tasted a bit of grapefruit at the tail end.

Body is thin, leaves a strong trace of bitter once gone for a considerate amount of time.

Overall, this is a very stand-up beer choice. If you are in the mood for a heavy hitting beer with everything turned to the max, this is the beer for you.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a bottle. Pours with a slight light brown head that disapates in about two minutes. Smell is of coffee, chocolate notes come through. Color is jet black with not a chanch of any light going through with light carbination. Tastes notes of slight coffee at first. Finished off with a bit of bitterness. Which was a bit too much. Mouth feel is very smooth. Almost a bit lighter than I would have expected. Overall a decent beer. Not exactly what I was expecting but one I may come by every once in a while.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

It was nice to watch the light leave the room as my glass turned dead black except for the huge, fluffy coffee and cream colored head that rose above the darkness. Watching the lacing decend was awesome, too. I kind of felt like a geologist analyzing sedimentary rock strata for bit, but then I took a sip and snapped out of that silly ass daydream.

The huge hop aroma was promised on the bottle, but I didn't think it would really deliver quite like it did. Very bright, sharp hops with the coffee and roasted malt aromas lurking underneath.

The hops are very aggressive, with grapefruit and piney flavors really coming to the fore. The roasty malt, burnt toast, espresso, and bitter chocolate flavors really took a backseat on this beer.

The body is a lot thinner than what I would have expected, and the clean bright bitterness made this almost refreshing, but it's so intense that it's not very quaffable. The booze is there, but not obtrusive. This could be more than a sipper if the hops were a little tamer, but it would get damn dangerous, so that's kind of a good thing. An interesting, and flavorful take on an imperial stout.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured 12 oz single into a large snifter. Looks and smells good enough. Very dark, smells of malts and coffee.
Taste is off for me, surprisingly bitter like old coffee. Not undrinkable by any means, but an average RIS for me.
I may have been spoiled by all the Founders Breakfast Stout I drank this winter.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a slick black with a thin tan head. Aroma is spicy, loaded with lots of hops, some alcohol. Very dry.

Taste is dark and hoppy. Dry black patent as a base, but the hops are clear, strong and pungent. More malt (cocoa, coffee, charcoal) comes out as it warms a little. No sweetness at all, on any level. Very slight tinge of alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium, not nearly as heavy as other stouts. Has an astringent quality, a little oily. Would probably benefit with lots and lots of aging. Not bad, but not really something I'd return to. I followed this one with an ordinary dry stout (Coopers) and found that much more satisfying.

Fresh bottle, dated Sep 12 05.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

On-tap at The Cask Republic into a snifter.

A: Black body with deep ruby glints; one-finger head of frothy light-brown foam. Ok retention, spotty lace. Attractive.

S: Bitter dark chocolate and huge piney + herbal hops. More like a Black IPA (or whatever you want to call it) than an RIS, but not a hop profile that I find terribly attractive. Meh.

T: Follows the nose precisely. Overly bitter, less than complex, and far less than delicious. I want to like it, but I don't.

M: Medium-to-full body with nice, creamy carbonation. Very pleasant indeed.

O: This was one of the first beers I ever reviewed, and even though I wasn't a fan way back then I decided to give it another shot when I saw it on tap. Sadly, my original review was, if anything, overly generous. I can appreciate what Victory was going for with this beer, and it's obvious how ahead of the time they were, but admiration for innovation aside I just don't find it to be an enjoyable brew. While there are some super-hoppy stouts that I love (e.g. Stone IRS, Imperial Stout Trooper '10, Night Stalker), this one misses the mark.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours black, with a thin khaki head that vanishes quickly, splashes of lacing on the glass. 4

Aroma-more hoppy than most RIS's out there. Dark fruits are there with plum taking over. Chocolate seems to be muted in this. 3.75

Taste-hops come out a lot stronger than I would expect for this style. Citrus right up front,roasted coffee also stands out at first. Milk chocolate brings out the sweetness. Really surprised how hoppy this is and it's not exactly a good thing. I just don't think these flavors mess well together. 3

Feel-feel is pretty standard for a RIS, although the bitterness of the hops seem to jump out, mild carbonation, coats well. 4.25

Overall-not to impressed with this. It's too bitter and just when you think you are going to get some sweetness it get muddled together with more bitterness. Maybe I just prefer my stouts with a more robust chocolate and roasted flavor. I don't think I would ever buy this again. 3

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Let me start by saying that I love to support my local brewers. Love Victory, Troegs, Lancaster, DFH, etc. That being said, this one doesn't live up to my expectations. It is not a bad beer of course. But it is in the top 100 here on BA.

A-Dark brown almost black, no light gets through. No head to speak of formed just a thin ring.
S-Smells nice, coffe, choclate, rasted malts and green hops
T-overwelmingly bitter from the roasted (almost burnt tasting) barely. Green hops come through as well. Alcohol esters really carry to the sinuses, very boozy. some coffee and chocolate also come through ont he finish
M-creamy full body
D-Too boozy and bitter, I can only drink one per session. I will continue to give this beer more tries though.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: Good dark stout look. A fingers worth of light tan head and a small bit of lacing as you go.

Smell: Scents of caramel, roasted chocolates, a bit of coffee, and a touch of hoppiness.

Taste: Doesn't do much for me. A split second of good stout flavor quickly gives way to an overly bitter taste that sticks around for too long. Not what I was looking for in a stout.

Mouthfeel: Good thickness. Flavor coats your mouth and sticks around for a while, too boad it's not the flavor I wanted.

Drinkability: Would be much higher if the taste was better. Not too offensive tasting, but not something I would try again. Surprised, given the high rating.

3.36/5  rDev -18%

This is a 2004 bottle. Mostly malt in the nose. Dark roast coffee, licorice, prunes, dates, and alcohol. Hop aroma is there, but not really that big. Pours a rich black with minimal head. There is a light brown ring around the top. The hop flavor is what stands out to me. Ther is plenty of roast, dark coffee, dark chocolate flavor, but the hops works great here. It is also pretty full bodies. The is a harsh tingling sensation over the tongue. Overall, its a fine beer, but there are better to be had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Enjoy by Apr 29 2015. Purchased from John's Market for $2.39.

A-Pours a deep, dark brown almost black hue with a one finger tan head with decent retention and lacing.

S-Roasted barley, vague dark dried fruits, coffee, and a hint of chocolate, all of which was too faint for style.

T-Taste is predominantly bitter, astringent, and alcohol. This is not even close to style. Should probably give it lower than a 3. The worst RIS I have ever had. Odd. This highly rated beer is very disappointing. Some chocolate, coffee, and caramel malt are present but no where near developed enough.

M-Too thin for style. And a tad flat due to inadequate carbonation. No where near rich and creamy enough.

D-Won't suffer this again, especially when there are many better RIS brews available to me. Hoped this would improve as it warmed but it didn't. Perhaps it needs to age more.

3.36/5  rDev -18%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter. Enjoy by date of 10.16.2013, which I believe means that it was bottled on 10.16.2008.

A: Pours very dark, although not overly thick for this style. The color is near black, and the head is quite large and caramel-colored. Almost opaque on the pour; opaque in the glass.

S: Not terribly strong smelling. Hints of cocoa. A little bit of hops. Dark malt. On further sniffing, actually quite hoppy for the style.

T: Hints of black licorice. Quite a bit of hops for the style. Some malt, and actually quite spicy.

M: Very thin in the mouth. Slightly spicy with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel reminds me more of an IPA than a RIS.

D: Drinkable. This seems more like a summertime beer, as opposed to most RIS's, which I could not envision drinking on a hot day while outdoors. Each sip does not leave me craving another, although this is decent, but I think quite a bit overrated, unless I have a bad bottle. I've got another in the cellar, I'll have to see if it's any different later on.

Reviewed 2/15/2008 (Bottle @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a black color body, tannish head, average. Coffee apoma, some Belgian sugar. Not very strong. Coffee, malty taste, some nuts. Some alcohol on the back of the palate. Hoppy bitterness present. Pretty easy to drink. More alcohol bite as it warms up, stronger coffee.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I opened my first bottle of this 6 months ago the hops are what got me. They got me good, I loved this beer alot. Loved it so much that I couldn't drink my other bottle. It had to be saved! What the hell was I thinking. I should have drank it then.
The hops aren't gone, but they don't catch me like they did the first time around. This beer was still great though. Just not as great as it would have been had I drank it when it was fresh. The dates and rasins are strong like before. Alcohol is masked well. But it just isn't right out the hops.
I'll make sure to review this again as soon as I get another fresh bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

A - Poured a watery black with some bubbly coffee-coloured head.

S - Nose is coffee, roasted barley and some hops. The hops are present but I don't get any specific notes from the hops.

T - Roasted coffee with some earthy hops and a hint of licorice. A little bit of chocolate lingers in the aftertaste. There is enough going on here that it is somewhat complex, but is noticeably;y plain in comparison to some other RIS I have had. Still a good RIS.

M - Light to medium body with a little more carbonation than I like in a RIS. The finish is bitter and dry.

D - This is a good RIS, but not a great one. I would buy this one again and I would love to try it on tap, but this won't be a beer that I seek out every winter.

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Black in color with a light brown foam head. The nose is very malty. I found the initial attack and the taste to be pretty consistent with the nose. I would have to use the word "big" to describe this beer though it isn't as big as most "big" beers. What I think qualifies it as big for me is that it carries the high alcohol reasonably well without being too "boozy." I did enjoy the smokiness and the roasted malt character, but it was just "alright" for me.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company