Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,567 | Hads: 5,575
3.37/5  rDev -18.2%

Let me start by saying that I love to support my local brewers. Love Victory, Troegs, Lancaster, DFH, etc. That being said, this one doesn't live up to my expectations. It is not a bad beer of course. But it is in the top 100 here on BA.

A-Dark brown almost black, no light gets through. No head to speak of formed just a thin ring.
S-Smells nice, coffe, choclate, rasted malts and green hops
T-overwelmingly bitter from the roasted (almost burnt tasting) barely. Green hops come through as well. Alcohol esters really carry to the sinuses, very boozy. some coffee and chocolate also come through ont he finish
M-creamy full body
D-Too boozy and bitter, I can only drink one per session. I will continue to give this beer more tries though. (747 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Good dark stout look. A fingers worth of light tan head and a small bit of lacing as you go.

Smell: Scents of caramel, roasted chocolates, a bit of coffee, and a touch of hoppiness.

Taste: Doesn't do much for me. A split second of good stout flavor quickly gives way to an overly bitter taste that sticks around for too long. Not what I was looking for in a stout.

Mouthfeel: Good thickness. Flavor coats your mouth and sticks around for a while, too boad it's not the flavor I wanted.

Drinkability: Would be much higher if the taste was better. Not too offensive tasting, but not something I would try again. Surprised, given the high rating. (660 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%

This is a 2004 bottle. Mostly malt in the nose. Dark roast coffee, licorice, prunes, dates, and alcohol. Hop aroma is there, but not really that big. Pours a rich black with minimal head. There is a light brown ring around the top. The hop flavor is what stands out to me. Ther is plenty of roast, dark coffee, dark chocolate flavor, but the hops works great here. It is also pretty full bodies. The is a harsh tingling sensation over the tongue. Overall, its a fine beer, but there are better to be had. (504 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Enjoy by Apr 29 2015. Purchased from John's Market for $2.39.

A-Pours a deep, dark brown almost black hue with a one finger tan head with decent retention and lacing.

S-Roasted barley, vague dark dried fruits, coffee, and a hint of chocolate, all of which was too faint for style.

T-Taste is predominantly bitter, astringent, and alcohol. This is not even close to style. Should probably give it lower than a 3. The worst RIS I have ever had. Odd. This highly rated beer is very disappointing. Some chocolate, coffee, and caramel malt are present but no where near developed enough.

M-Too thin for style. And a tad flat due to inadequate carbonation. No where near rich and creamy enough.

D-Won't suffer this again, especially when there are many better RIS brews available to me. Hoped this would improve as it warmed but it didn't. Perhaps it needs to age more. (920 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter. Enjoy by date of 10.16.2013, which I believe means that it was bottled on 10.16.2008.

A: Pours very dark, although not overly thick for this style. The color is near black, and the head is quite large and caramel-colored. Almost opaque on the pour; opaque in the glass.

S: Not terribly strong smelling. Hints of cocoa. A little bit of hops. Dark malt. On further sniffing, actually quite hoppy for the style.

T: Hints of black licorice. Quite a bit of hops for the style. Some malt, and actually quite spicy.

M: Very thin in the mouth. Slightly spicy with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel reminds me more of an IPA than a RIS.

D: Drinkable. This seems more like a summertime beer, as opposed to most RIS's, which I could not envision drinking on a hot day while outdoors. Each sip does not leave me craving another, although this is decent, but I think quite a bit overrated, unless I have a bad bottle. I've got another in the cellar, I'll have to see if it's any different later on. (1,038 characters)

Reviewed 2/15/2008 (Bottle @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a black color body, tannish head, average. Coffee apoma, some Belgian sugar. Not very strong. Coffee, malty taste, some nuts. Some alcohol on the back of the palate. Hoppy bitterness present. Pretty easy to drink. More alcohol bite as it warms up, stronger coffee. (329 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I opened my first bottle of this 6 months ago the hops are what got me. They got me good, I loved this beer alot. Loved it so much that I couldn't drink my other bottle. It had to be saved! What the hell was I thinking. I should have drank it then.
The hops aren't gone, but they don't catch me like they did the first time around. This beer was still great though. Just not as great as it would have been had I drank it when it was fresh. The dates and rasins are strong like before. Alcohol is masked well. But it just isn't right out the hops.
I'll make sure to review this again as soon as I get another fresh bottle. (629 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Poured a watery black with some bubbly coffee-coloured head.

S - Nose is coffee, roasted barley and some hops. The hops are present but I don't get any specific notes from the hops.

T - Roasted coffee with some earthy hops and a hint of licorice. A little bit of chocolate lingers in the aftertaste. There is enough going on here that it is somewhat complex, but is noticeably;y plain in comparison to some other RIS I have had. Still a good RIS.

M - Light to medium body with a little more carbonation than I like in a RIS. The finish is bitter and dry.

D - This is a good RIS, but not a great one. I would buy this one again and I would love to try it on tap, but this won't be a beer that I seek out every winter. (725 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Black in color with a light brown foam head. The nose is very malty. I found the initial attack and the taste to be pretty consistent with the nose. I would have to use the word "big" to describe this beer though it isn't as big as most "big" beers. What I think qualifies it as big for me is that it carries the high alcohol reasonably well without being too "boozy." I did enjoy the smokiness and the roasted malt character, but it was just "alright" for me. (460 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Pretty standard Imperial stuff: Pours black,a little head,some lacing and smells decent. (blah,blah,blah).

Beer loses me in taste department.Very dry and way too hoppy for me.I am not much of a hophead,anyway and I am really not a fan of overly hopped Impy Stouts.I know there is some chocolate and some coffee back there somewhere.But mean Mr.Hop is holding them hostage.

If you are a hopaholic,then this is your RIS.Just not my thing,man. (442 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours an opague black color with some ruby hues towards the top of the glass when held to light. There is a small tan head that doesn't last too long and leaves a little lacing.

Aromas of dark fruit, chocolate, espresso, some hops, and a faint cigar like smell as well as a little alcohol.

Taste is pretty complex and a little harsh. There are notes of citrusy and piney hops, some roasted (perhaps burnt) malt, blackberry, coffee, and some charcoal.

Mouthfeel is full and a little more carbonated than I would prefer.

The harshness of this stout takes the drinkability down some.

In my opinion this stout doesn't quite live up to the hype. (657 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. 03/27/08. Best by date of 08/17/12.

Pours a very dark brownish black with 3+ fingers of puffy tan head. The head settles quickly and leaves beautiful lacing on the glass. Aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate malts, and some hops as well.

The roasted coffee and dark chocolate flavors really come through. Maybe a bit too roasted. Slight cherry flavor as well. Lots of bitterness from the hops. A bit hoppier than I like for a stout.

Full, thick, sticky. Definitely a sipper. A bit low on the drinkability side for me. The alcohol (9%) is pretty well hidden, but the fullness and bitterness make me want to stop after only one. (676 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Purchased a sixer of 12 oz bottles from Shoreline. Bottled on date of Dec 13th 05.

Poured into a chalice. The head can be brought out by a rapid pour and gives 2-3 fingers of tan, foamy head. This disappears into a boring lace. The color is as it should be - dark black, nearly opaque.

A slight alcohol is definately present in the nose. So is a smoky, charred fruitiness.

In the mouth, this is a real strong contender. Smooth and warm going down - with a nice sweet maltiness on the back of the tounge. The alcohol is highly present. The hop character is hard to define - it seems to be trying to be something more than its not. The finish is too medicine like.

Musings: I would have to say if I reviewed this 5 years ago - I would be discussing a different beer. The hop nature of this beer now is all over the place - it has no direction at all. The feel of this stuff in your mouth is great - that hasn't changed. However, the taste has lost alot. (965 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -18.9%

A: 3 finger brown extremely carbed creamy head. Pitch black in color. Looks good.

S: Fruity and citrus. Littlest bit of coffee.

T: Raisins, dark bittersweet chocolate and dry espresso. Surprisingly hidden alcohol.

M: Thick, chewy, well carbed and dry finish.

O: It's good but flavor is slightly lacking. I like how well the alcohol is hidden behind a complex raisin, bittersweet chocolate and espresso. (407 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

stouts are king so storm king could it be the king of stouts? would seem very appropriate for that title!

poured out with little head but what head it has was certainly nice. it was a tight foam with a mocha color and texture

aroma was heavy on the molasses, tar and even a little bit of bubble gum in there. was not expecting that at all

taste was a bit chewy and certainly thick, maybe not like a milkshake but was heavier than i expected for sure

overall a good stout i would say but i prefer the more dry and crisp ones, still a good beer though (553 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized snifter.

A: Pours black with a thick tan head that dissipates somewhat slowly. Not much lacing, but that could be because my girlfriend washed my snifter and I'm not sure how well she did. ;)

S: Whoa, that's a hoppy stout! The hoppy aroma overpowers any other aroma and I didn't expect it at all. After letting it warm a bit, I can smell chocolate and a bit of coffee and the hop aroma has backed off.

T: Roasted malts hit your palate first, as expected. You can really taste the hops in the finish and aftertaste, which I'm not sure I like in a stout.

M: A bit thin in the mouth. Even though I think it might be a little overcarbonated, it really isn't detected in the mouth.

D: Drinkability is a little low for me. I think the hoppy taste and smell just turn me off a bit from this beer. (839 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

a 4-4.5 very dark, opaque brown. short, creamy deep beige head leaves a spotty cap, ring, and partial rings of lace. looks quite viscous.

s 3.5-4 dark chocolate, molasses, black licorice, bready yeast and charcoal. there are definitely some nice aspects, yet too much of the yeast and coal starts taking over.

t 3 this really is a thick one, slowly flowing over with more of a charred flavor than expected. a bit acrid in the finish. there is a lot of body and sweetness underneath, but the charring is way too much for me.

m 4.5 no quibbles here, apart from the somewhat overactive carbonation.

d 3 ashes to ashes, and i guess ashes to beer as well. not something i'm likely to look for again. (700 characters)

12 ounce bottle, fresh

Poured black with a small tan head that laced nicely

smelled of dark roasted malts, slight background of coffee, and alcohol.

Tasted hot, dark fruit (fig?), coffee, malty, and more hops that i would prefer myself.

Was thick and pretty creamy, nice smooth mouthfeel

Too hot for me, which some cellar time might improve. I guess these higher abvs for me lack drinkability because of the heat, seems very few are well masked or balanced. I have a few in my cellar and i will revisit it after giving it some time. (539 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

It pours a beautiful black with a very foamy head that disappears very fast, although leaving some sticky lacing behind.
The nose is surprisingly hoppy and almost unidimensional, since the minimal malts, mostly chocolate-like are overpowered by the hops.
A similar thing happens on the taste, which starts hoppy, evolves hoppy and finishes hoppy. Somwhere in there, chocolate and coffee, but these are overpowered by the hops.
It is a medium-bodied, somewhat pleasant brew that is unfortunately poor balanced, with little malts to face the hoppy explosion. You might like it, but it is not a good example of a stout in my opinion. (633 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. From notes.

A - Black, lots of lighter brown, carbonated head that was retained very well.

S - Roasted coffee, some chocolate, mild toast and malt

T - Burnt chocolate, over-roasted coffee and burnt sugar. Some vanilla in the back and hoppy bitterness.

M - Medium to full bodied, a bit chewy and distinct alcohol heat.

D - Easy drinker. Could be more complex and better balanced. Decent though. (428 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

Appearance - Dark brown to black in color, opaque. Yielded a 1 finger head (tan/brown in color) that did retain with some lacing.

Smell - Considering I don't like anything overly hopped, I picked up the hops in this right off the bat. Malt, chocolate and coffee were present like most RIS, though once again, the strong hop presence caught me off guard.

Taste - I didnt enjoy the bitterness of this, it was almost a hop bitterness. Roasted Malt and coffee were present. Alcohol did come through some, but not bad.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation was somewhat high for the style. Was heavy, but not as heavy as others.

Drinkability - Being a RIS, drinkability isn't a strong suit, though this one isn't as heavy as others, bringing a drinkability factor to the table that others don't have.

If I liked hops, I would probably like this. I just didn't like how strongly this was hopped, especially for the style, confirming once again that everything I drink from Victory seems to have a strong hop presence. (1,048 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Underneath the bitter hops is a decent beer. The rich, dark liquid creates a beautiful head ... one of the best pours I've seen in a stout ... could the hops have something to do with it? The aroma is very inviting ... again perhaps the hops are responsible. I taste some interesting, complex flavors, but the hops are a real downer. (333 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%

12oz bottle from Beermongers. Poured into snifter.

A- pours black with a one-finger light tan head. Head dissipates in a minute or so. Appears viscous and somewhat oily. Nice lacing.

S- Not much going on. Some earthy hops, subtle coffee, burnt malts and maybe some chocolate. Not really impressed.

T- Roasted malts and a smooth chocolate hit the palate. The piney and herbal hops hit in the middle to take away from the maltiness. Warmth from the alcohol wallows underneath.

M- Medium-thick body with low carbonation. Slick, oily mouthfeel. Some alcohol can be felt.

O- Disappointing. The balance is off or something. The aroma was weak and the taste was average. With many other options on the market, I probably won't reach for another Storm King any time soon. (768 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle (2011)

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Dark black with no clarity throughout. Thick and persistent light brown head and plenty of spiderweb lacing down the glass.

Rich coffee and roasted malt aroma, with a tiny bit of stinging alcohol, and a bit of pine hop presence as well.

The flavor is disappointing. It tastes of pine hops, mild roasted malt, a touch of coffee, along with some sharp alcohol. It's simply not as rich and decadent as I like in my big stouts. There's very little, if any, chocolate, a flavor I think really helps the bigger stouts.

Light to medium bodied and a touch sharp with alcohol. Unimpressive for any RIS.

Below average. (659 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

Pretty nice black pour with a small tan head that goes away pretty quick. Lacing is nice as expected for the style.
Aroma, this is good nice roasted and chocolate malt aroma's which are par for the style, nice floral and citrus aroma hops come through well.
Taste goes down to an average RIS for me, much of the same roasted malts and a touch of chocolate. Hops are mostly floral with a hint of orange peel.
Mouthfeel is full, but not oily which is the way I like an RIS. Drinkability is good, but I will grab many others before this one. (538 characters)

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company