2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,491 | Reviews: 2,473 | Show All Ratings:
mudshark698

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into Belgian tulip glass. The beer poured pitch black with a middling viscosity. The smell is super roasty. I was optimistic about this one until I tasted it. The roasty smell pushed beyond a dark roast and into burnt. Very acrid flavor. The taste was very reminiscent of burnt toast. Very unpleasant.

03-15-2011 19:57:51 | More by mudshark698
nsabo

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -27.9%

I'll lay my cards on the table first - I don't care for hoppy RISs.
That said, this ain't bad but I'm willing to pay a bit more for a maltier, thicker RIS. Storm King is coffee-roasted burnt with heavy resiny hops and just a medium-heavy mouthfeel.
This hop-centric RIS reminded me of Old Rasputin (only with less complexity). Again, not bad, but I won't go back.

08-04-2011 04:06:18 | More by nsabo
beckje01

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

A- Dark black can't see through some tan head but its lacking.

S- Boozy nose with some malt in the back.

T- Nice malt flavors some bitterness but its from the malt no hops I could clearly taste.

M- Good thickness and nice activity.

D- Ok not great but it's worth picking up. I would like to try a bottle version to see how it stacks up.

11-10-2008 06:14:50 | More by beckje01
DovaliHops

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a pitch black color that lets no light through whatsoever. There is a small tannish/off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is chocolatey and VERY hoppy. I have never had a stout smell this hoppy before. I also get aromas of citrus and roasted coffee. Taste is...WOW...This has to be the most citrusy/hoppy stout I've ever had in my life! I've heard of hoppy stouts before, but this one is overwhelmingly hoppy. I definitely get more orange, grapefruit, and bitterness than I get chocolate or coffee. I don't know if it is because this bottle is super fresh or what, but it's just not what I'm used to or what I enjoy in a typical RIS. Maybe hoppy/citrusy stouts take some getting used to. It's a real bummer, because I've heard such great things about this stout. Mouthfeel is full bodied and not overly thick or viscous. Drinkability would be a lot higher if it weren't for the off-putting citrus and hoppiness in what I was expecting to be rich with chocolate and coffee flavors. Gonna put one of these aside to age and hope the hoppiness dies off.

01-24-2011 05:59:09 | More by DovaliHops
Gk187

2.9/5  rDev -29.1%

For an imperial stout I was surprised and disappointed by the hoppyness. (Full disclaimer I do not really enjoy the hop flavor of most IPAs and this may overly impact my analysis) The beer also had a thinner texture then I would have liked. Based on these two factors I will not be selecting it in the future.

10-27-2013 19:38:59 | More by Gk187
MPLS

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember this being one of the first imperial stouts I've ever had. Decided to purchase it again, just a single this time around.

A: Nice coal-black, a billowy thin 4 cm head that erupted from a gentle pour. Head dissipated quickly. Good initial lacing, really adheres to the clean glass.

S: Lots of roast, coffee bitterness, alcohol, hint of floral hops.

T: Big bad roast, very burnt tasting, with some floral hop, dirt, and an unpleasant harsh alcohol astrigency. Reminds me of my first homebrewed porter.

M: Medium bodied, with enough to carbonation to make it sharp on the tongue. Where da viscosity?

D: Rubbing alcohol and meets roasted dirt. I will pass on this one the next time I see it, unless it's free.

I remember thinking this beer was a delicious beast, but roasted dirt with an alcohol chaser might now be for me.

03-30-2009 06:47:30 | More by MPLS
Docer

Washington

2.88/5  rDev -29.6%

Purchased a 12 oz. bottle just to try... had last night. Best before some date in 2014.

- Nice dark viscous black... little bit of mocha head... looks like most other stouts I guess lol..

- Interesting bright hoppy scented stout.... little off because before this I had an Old Rasputin XII.... little bit of chocolate malt, but more so an overpowering fruity hop.

- Not a big fan at all. I actually had to drain pour most of it because it just wasn't hitting the spot. The hops are way too overpowering in this stout. Don't get me wrong, I love some great bitetr hops in a stout, but not the fruity strong citrus kind... this stout to me is much more like a black IPA. Bitterness was great, but not the fruity and earthy notes... the malt backing was just kind of blah too and not very much depth.

- Carbonation was great, and somewhat medium bodied... little chewy and sticky.

- Overall this wasn't drinkable for me... the hops sometimes put off a 'B.O.-like" aroma and taste... and was just too fruity and citrusy.... Not one I will be buying again.

12-16-2009 01:56:14 | More by Docer
jwhawkins81

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aroma - Tons of hops with a malt backbone in there some where

Appearance Very dark with a big light brown head. This beer is good looking enough

Taste - Way over hopped for my tastes and maybe for the stout style. I'm a little flavor sensitive to hops and I couldn't get past the hop bitter flavor. So past that I can't talk about roasted malts or any real non-hop flavors

Notes - I put the rest of these in the cellar for at least a year. I suspect a little age will help my outlook but I can only recommend this to a person looking for a very hop forward stout.

05-02-2010 12:39:40 | More by jwhawkins81
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%

Bottle. 2005 vintage. Dark pour with no head. Fresh cedar aromas, this is pretty weird, lots of medecine too some reminescent hops. Thin, coffee rind taste quite bitter, almost no sweetness. Thin palate, this beer is past its prime I believe, will try to get another fresher sample.

08-23-2010 18:17:08 | More by Luk13
biglite351

2.85/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - a little red at the edges. No real head (it is on cask afterall)

S - rather sweet. Malts, chocolate and maybe a little fruit.

T - shaft bitter bite. Some malts and chocolate but not nearly as good as the scent.

M - watery with only the mildest of tingle. Maybe because it is on cask?

D - I will pass unless this is the only stout on the menu.

Serving type: cask

10-22-2010 23:07:40 | More by biglite351
cokes

Wisconsin

2005 (aged 2 year):
This has slipped further. All burnt astringent coffee, vague plum and tobacco, and an equally harsh and astringent (and uncomplimentary) spearmint-aspirin hopping. The body thins like a hairline, and drinkable suffers in proportion.
In the course of 4 or so years (not the bottle, but the beer itself, because this sucks fresh now too), this has gone from elite to disaster, and is now totally off my radar. Keep in mind that this was once a beer I rated 4.95 (see below). Oh how the mighty have fallen.

2002. Second go-round here. A little less enthused, but it is still a very good Imperial.
Blackish with dark brown hints. Thinnish, fizzy tan head.
Roasty, cascade-hued aroma.
Taste is huge on expresso, and equally huge on piney, citric rind hops. But I've come to find it lacking in the dark fruit that I hold so dear in the style. Liquorice hints. Char and pine sap dominate the finish.
Considerably thinner than I recall. Though still around medium.
Maybe this batch is slightly different, but I remember the 2001 to be a killer. I can't rate the current batch that high. A vertical tasting well be done next year to figure out what's going on.
Still, this is a well done, but very straight forward Imperial Stout. But I can no longer call it elite.
Thanks to Bighuge for the 2002.
(Rating 4.05)

2001
First off, many thanks to VENOM for allowing me to try this beer. You're my man, bro. What a beer!
Storm King has been tops on my wish list for awhile. And for good reason.
Pours pitch black, even when held to strong light...maybe just the slightest edge of orange. Nice tan head that lasts the duration.
Smell is big on chocolate, roastiness and hops. I know I'll love it just from the smell.
Taste is big expresso, chocolate and cascade hops. A dark fruit undertow is present as well. Sweet and bitter in perfect harmony. Taste it for your own damn self, this is too good for words.
Nice and thick, a delight to drink.
A tear falls from my eye when I finished this...until I realized I have one left. I will certainly save it for sometime special.
(rating 4.95)

04-29-2002 23:34:59 | More by cokes
briscott99

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured a nice midnight black with a fairly large brown head. As it settles, the head dies and no evidence of lacing on the glass. Beautiful color, though.

Smell: Smells sweet. Not picking up the roasty aromas I usually pick up in stouts. Seems almost fruity in the nose. Odd.

Taste: Syrupy sweet. For me this is just too sweet for a stout. Followed by a large amount of hops. A lot of bitter and sweet, but IMO not very well balanced. There is a medicine-like taste in here too, actually reminiscent of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Decent medium body, low carbonation. Would like to taste more carbonation here.

Drinkability: counldn't do more than one. It's just too sweet for my tastes. Overall, I'd like this beer to have a more roasty taste, a little less hop character, and tone down the sweet maltiness quite a bit.

Was looking forward to drinking this one, but it just didn't do it for me. Overall, I'm a big fan of Victory brews. Stormking just wasn't my kind of stout, but worth giving 'er a try.

12-16-2006 01:01:13 | More by briscott99
rregan

A- Very good. Dark, caramel colored small head

S- Espresso scented. Roasty and a bit of herbal scent

T- The hops are unusually strong for a stout. The bitterness is interesting but not favorable. The bitterness lingers while the smooth coffee malt just kind of passes.

M- Surprisingly crisp

D- Overall, I was not impressed. I think it tries to balance the bitter with the malt but I find the bitter to overwhelming (at least in comparison to the malt). I do not think I would have it again. There are simply better stouts.

10-25-2008 23:35:33 | More by rregan
goatxpower

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Got got a bottle in a recent trade. I will say that I served it too cold, initially, but let it warm as I washed dishes for an hour.

A- Pitch black with a big chocolate-tan head.

S- not much. Some roast and coffe, some hops. I actually tried so hard to smell it , that I got a nostril full of beer.

T- Very dry for a RIS. Dry roast, black coffie, strong hop bitterness, slight astringency. Malt became a little more pronounced as it warmed. Some noticable heat from the alcohol. I had high hopes for this beer, but was slightly disapointed.

M- Thick and oily. Slid down the back of the throat.

D- Maybe I'll try it again sometime. But one's enough for me right now.

04-06-2009 22:38:06 | More by goatxpower
njmoons

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured think and black with moderate head which held up well.

Aroma was think and malty with very notable hops.

Taste malty with some plum flavor on the front end but that was quickly overpowered by heavy hops flavor and bitterness on the back end. Taste was out of balance for me, too much hops/bitterness.

There are other Imperials that I much prefer to this one.

09-01-2009 16:28:14 | More by njmoons
StoutHunter

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

I bought a bottle of Victory's Storm King Stout last weekend for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. After trying a couple different beers from Victory with them all turning out good I decided to really put them to the test and see how their RIS stands up to the rest. It had a best enjoy by date of March 2nd 2016. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, the hawk or eagle wearing a crown is pretty eye catching. It poured a dark looking motor oil black that didn't let any light through. It had four and a half fingers worth of fluffy light brownish tan colored head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of lacing.

S- The first thing I noticed about the aroma is that it is a little on the sweet side. The sweet roasted malts stand out the most and impart some black coffee, milk chocolate, a little bit of brown sugar, and a very slight amount of dark fruits. There was also a mild amount of grassy hops at the end.

T- Thankfully the flavor is not nearly as sweet as the aroma led me to believe. It starts out with a large amount of dark roasted malts that have just the right amount of sweetness to them. The coffee and chocolate flavors are there but they aren't as bold as I was expecting and the dark fruit flavors were barely there. The finish was pretty heavy on the grassy and earthy hops and it made for a pretty bitter finish, I wasn't thinking this was going to be that bitter and I think I would like it better if the bitterness was toned down.

M- Smooth and medium full bodied, its full but it isn't sticky and heavy. The carbonation was a little out of hand in this brew and could have be toned down a couple notches.

Overall I thought this was an Ok stout but it really can't hang with any of my other favorite RIS's. It's a solid RIS, but to me it lacks the balance and complexity of some of the better RIS's. This beer was going in the right direction but I feel like those dark roasted malts could have been more robust and the bitterness was just too much for this brew and that threw it off balance. It went down fairly smooth but that excess bitterness would prevent me from grabbing another one, the over the top bitterness of this beer doesn't make for good drinkability. I don't think I would buy this again, even though it is pretty much available year round to me I would much rather have an Old Rasputin. If you like hop heavy RIS's this may be your thing, but it wasn't my cup of tea. This beer just wasn't on the same level as their other beers that I have tried, maybe since it is one of my favorite style I am being a little to critical but compared to all the other RIS's on the market this one fall shorts. From my experience Victory has a heavy hand with their hops and in this case it didn't make for a great beer.

07-01-2011 03:19:09 | More by StoutHunter
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

Black in color-you probably couldnt get any blacker. Ok carbonation level. Quite floral aroma wise. Reminds me of a bottle of ink. Some roasted flavor that is dominated by way too many hops. Perfumey and flowery flavors just dont belong in a RIS for me. More hop flavor then bitterness. Decent enough mouthfeel. Overall this just doesnt cut it for me. None of the deep, roasted, almost espresso like flavors I love in a RIS. Cross between a double IPA and a stout if you ask me. Bleh.

01-31-2009 02:42:28 | More by lackenhauser
SourHopHead

New Mexico

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%

A- Poured a deep brown, but mostly black with a tan head and good retention.

S- Chocolate, slight roasted smell. I didn't get any hop aroma at all.

T- Chocolate and roasty flavor. Finished dry.

M- Not much carbonation and tasted fairly thin.

D- A lot of flavors but chocolate and roast overpowered them all. Tasted on the thin side and I drank the 2 I had and I was done.

I expected more from Victory.

12-21-2009 08:15:56 | More by SourHopHead
terranova770

2.78/5  rDev -32%

This beer was just a little too complex for me, drank fridge cold and room temp, better closer to room temp, think predominant flavor was toffee and coffee, remember those hard coffee candies I think they are now called nestle nips, that is this beer for me. Alcohol in this packs a real punch to the brain but is not dominant in finish. I may consider this beer again on a winter evening, in front of a fire when I am ready to pass out in a big comfy chair, stout drool on my chin. To me not a six pack beer get a single and save for that special occasion. Purchased from Westover Market in Arlington, VA.

10-20-2007 20:29:14 | More by terranova770
association330

2.78/5  rDev -32%

12 oz. bottle with the marking "Enjoy By: Oct. 1, 2014"

A - Pours with that nice motor oil look, and just the slightest tinge of ruby on the edge of the glass. A huge, two-finger plume of glossy mocha head forms and lasts very well while slowly settling to a tight, half-finger cap of foam. Nice lacing.

S - Grassy hops, with suggestions of burnt malt, coffee, and bitter chocolate.

T - Strong grassy hops up front, then a touch of roasted malt. A dry, harshly bitter, hoppy finish with a hint of coffee and alcohol astringency. Too harsh, and sorely lacks a roasty malt balance.

M - The beer is only medium-bodied and carbonation is a little too high for the style, causing the beer to lack the rich, velvety nature of a RIS. Warming alcohol reminds you of the ABV.

D - Much like how you can't judge a book by its cover, you can't judge a beer solely by its appearance. The flavor of this brew is too unbalanced for the style - it's almost like drinking a dark IIPA. The long, bitter finish is out of control, and the mouthfeel is amiss.

01-19-2010 07:38:25 | More by association330
Naugled

2.78/5  rDev -32%

Pours with a nice dark brown thick head and an opaque black body. Chunks of sediment came from the bottom of the bottle.

Smell is a bit vegetal up front sweet and hoppy second.

Flavor is very bitter and harsh, way too much, either a bad bottle or it needs to age and mellow, there was no date on the bottle to know for sure.
It's hard to get a good malt profile because the hop bitterness is so dominating.

Mouthfeel isn't bad but long aftertaste.

Not a very drinkable beer at this point. I may buy another and let it age. I'll update the review afterwards. But as is, not a good example of an imperial stout IMO.

01-28-2010 16:11:37 | More by Naugled
SIRIUS2

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

Sharp hop nose with secondary malt aromas. Virtually no head on the pour of this nearly pitch black brew. The flavor is sharp and warm, with heavy malts coming in afterwards. It finishes very hoppy and warm all the way down. The alcohol is present and is hardly masked by the intense flavors of the hops & malts.

Oof. I know Storm King is probably representative of the Russian Imperial Stout style but it just isn't my speed. Apologies to those that enjoy this style but I had a hard time with it.

01-30-2008 01:43:52 | More by SIRIUS2
litheum94

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz bottle. Best by 12/10/15. Reviewed on 2/28/11

Oil slick black body, with a gigantic brown head that tries to bubble over the glass. Head is sticky and thick, and takes forever to settle.

Aromas of sweet chocolate, with hints of roasted coffee. Some plum aromas. Floral hops. Loads of dark malt scents, and some alcohol aromas.

A DIPA amount of hops hits you in the face, with flavors of pine and citrus. Espresso bitterness. Semi-sweet chocolate mid-palate leads to some more hop bitterness and a very biting, alcoholic finish.

This beer is screaming for balance. The finish is overly alcoholic and off-putting for me. It's almost at rubbing alcohol levels. I was disappointed by this, but almost want to buy another bottle just to see how it ages.

03-24-2011 04:36:49 | More by litheum94
BreadSlicer

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance: I was very excited on the first pour since it lived up to it's exceptionally dark and bold image

Smell: Typical RIS smell but more to the hoppy/nutty side

Taste: WAY too alcoholic for my tastes. The only other stout I've ever had that had a more dominating alcohol character was a Yeti IS which I hated. It makes every little sip a bit too far on the harsh side for me personally. Almost like drinking a brandy. But if you like drinking brandy...

Mouthfeel: Nice. Nothing special, but nice.

Drinkability: For me its barely drinkable enough to keep me from pouring it down the drain due to the 'way too alcoholic' character. There's actually a very good stout behind all that alcohol though.

10-11-2007 19:27:38 | More by BreadSlicer
lechap

2.73/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured very flat with little head. Cut to the chase, I just don't enjoy these heavier/stronger stouts. It's not the higher ALC but an unpleasant aftertaste. I read that imperial stouts were originally exported to Russia. That may account for the rumors of Russian women being overly hairy and their success as weight lifters. I'll settle for a good dry Irish stout or oatmeal stout any day. They are just so smooth when compared to imperials. Kind of like filing your fingernails with a fine emery board rather than a wood rasp.

03-04-2014 01:08:13 | More by lechap