2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,484 | Reviews: 2,471 | Show All Ratings:
hardy008

1.33/5  rDev -67.5%

Appearance - pours a black color, some shades of ruby when held to the light. Has a tan foamy 2 finger head.

Smell - Hops with poor quality roasted malt. Not what I was expecting at all.

Taste - Hoppy, bitter, with some poor quality roasted malt. Almost more like a dark IPA, and not a very good one either. Where are the flavors associated with a RIS? There is no chocolate flavor at all, or dark fruit. No sweetness. Just harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation, light to medium bodied, and dry.

Drinkability - Not worth seeking out, disappointing for a RIS.

Not sure how this can be an RIS. It doesn't taste like one at all. It also does not get any better as it warms. This one doesn't do anything for me. Drain pour.

Tried this again on 5/7/2010. Adjusted the score downward.

05-14-2009 01:09:57 | More by hardy008
CAbeerCAbeerCA

Maryland

1.45/5  rDev -64.5%

I have been waiting a long time to try this beer but never got around to picking up a bottle until recently. I regret the decision to finally pick this up the other night, but I am very thankful I only picked up one, rather than the whole six pack.

The beer looked good enough: dark, nice head

The beer smelled only slightly better than it tasted. Smelled like charcoal, alcohol, and maybe a hint of berries (which is the reason for the extra .5 over taste).

The beer tasted terribly - I choked this thing down. Alcohol and charcoal awfulness.

The beer had mouthfeel that was disappointing- much, much too thin for a stout of this alcohol content. I might be scoring it higher here, since he taste and aroma were so bad and the mouthfeel, by comparison, was much better.

This beer was just not good. I wil never try it again, and I recommend that you do not either.

11-08-2011 19:31:53 | More by CAbeerCAbeerCA
jtierney89

1.65/5  rDev -59.7%

Pours a deep brown with a giant head which is receding slowly but surely. The head is a light tan color, sticky in some places and quick to recede in others.

Smells super hoppy and oily. Barely getting any malt character at all on the nose. Getting dark malt scents now that i've let it breathe for a bit. Head is really really sticky in some spots. Not a bad looking brew.

Slight malty sweetness up front with touch a caramel but besides the mouthfeel, the rest of this beer tastes like a double ipa. Lots of oily and citric hops present on the back of the tongue along with a good amount of bitterness.

The hops actually lend to a good deal of the beers flavor, i'm getting grapefruit and even pineapple notes. Alot of flavors are present, but i dont think they all blend well at all.

Am I wrong for not wanting a hop bomb out of a stout?

11-15-2011 05:16:20 | More by jtierney89
hopsbreath

Oregon

1.85/5  rDev -54.8%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

03-05-2010 04:23:18 | More by hopsbreath
HomrQT

1.88/5  rDev -54%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Very bitter, we were highly disappointed due to all the incredibly high ratings. Bought 12 and handed them out. No one in the office liked them. Don't believe the positive hype on this. This is a beer for IPA and other bitter beer drinkers. If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, avoid this.

05-03-2013 21:42:29 | More by HomrQT
SterlingNass

1.98/5  rDev -51.6%

Had a very nice head that stayed until the last few drinks.

Had a very nice nutty coffee smell to it. Head was a dark milk chocolate look to it.

First taste had a very coffee hops bitter taste that gave a very hard kick to my taste buds, probably from the 9.1% alc. Every drink after that became much more bitter to where I couldn't almost finish the last few drinks.

Seemed very thin and had no point to the bitterness.

06-19-2010 16:33:42 | More by SterlingNass
NODAK

Tennessee

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is of hops and very thick, coffee-like malts.

Hoppy upfront with a dose of floral hops smacking the palate at first. This gives way to the aforementioned roasted, coffee malt that was on the nose. However, the malt is pushed aside by a burst of hop bitterness on the finish surprisingly...leaving the palate with a bit of grapefruit, astringent bitterness that slowly increases in intensity and hits the back of the throat. I must say I was expecting a beer that leaned more to the malts versus hops here and am somewhat surprised. Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than I thought for style.

The aftertaste, as was mentioned, is rather bitter...the sides of the tongue want to pucker for quite some time after the swallow. The malts, by that time, are a distant memory.

I just don't find this to be very drinkable at all. I wanted to chew the rich malts here...I wanted a thick, creamy mouthfeel abounding with malty goodness...and I just didn't get it. The bitter finish and aftertaste detract from drinkability and really, this isn't something I'd drink again.

07-04-2009 04:55:16 | More by NODAK
BoulderBarrovecchio

2.13/5  rDev -47.9%

A: Black, 1/4 inch, no carbonation.

S: Floral notes are the dominant scent, with undertones of cinnamon spice and licorice.

T: It literally tasted like I ate rose petals, and then had my tongue and throat bruised by the strong knockout punch of hops. Hops linger forever.

M: Full bodied, creamy on the back end.

O: It tasted like I was drinking floral perfume, only to then get punched by Bernard HOPkins (get it?).

02-17-2014 03:29:03 | More by BoulderBarrovecchio
beerhan

2.15/5  rDev -47.4%

What does victory want me to do with this beer? put it in my engine perhaps and use it as oil? It smells and looks pretty darn good but after a few sips I never wanted to taste this again. I have never had a beer so undrinkable. Its a dark chocolate overtone with super hoppiness that hurts. I can't drink this, it was gross. I am disappointed in victory for this one.

06-10-2010 01:56:11 | More by beerhan
soultrain

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Enjoy by Jan 03 11.

A-Black as hell, 2 1/2" incredible light brown cappucino froth head. Tons of lacing. This beer looks fantastic.
S-Roasted malt aroma is so subtle it's barely there.
T-Unexpectedly smooth, unexpectedly flavorless. Alcohol flavor very present, above the coffee/chocolate type malts. I let this warm to room temp: same result.
M-This beer is totally flat. No carbonation. Thin mouthfeel with a sweetish, cloying, light syrup alcohol finish. Yet the head was so tremendous! Let it sit for 1/2 hour after I took it outta the fridge, too....A Russian Imperial Stout should not be watery like this....
D-Well, I drank it, cos I'm tough, but brother, the last inch was a chore...

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. What a let down, to say the least. Nothing Russian Imperial about this beer; I've had milk stouts with more oomph! Damn. Victory is a great brewery, so there is something wrong here. It pains me to slam one of their beers, so i'll have to resample in the near future...

05-18-2006 00:14:41 | More by soultrain
sterstar1

Colorado

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends.

05-16-2007 22:20:22 | More by sterstar1
Mauerhan

2.23/5  rDev -45.5%

pours darker than used motor oil. has a real nice two finger mocha head. i cant even begin to see through this beer. very faint hints of ruby brown around the edges when i hold it up to direct light.
smell is decent. malts, hops, pretty heavy on the alcohol. i also get scents of prunes.
not really thrilled by the taste. as heavy as the alcohol was on the nose it is ten fold in the taste. it doesn't seem like they are trying to hide the booze taste...at all. after i get the taste of the booze out of my mouth i get slight malts.
i am floored by this beer and not in a great way, i cant get past its flaws to see its good. really sad. i expected ALOT more. especially from the reviews its been getting. hopefully i just got a shitty bottle. but i dont think i will be visiting this beer again any time in the near future...at least not on my dime

09-09-2008 06:47:47 | More by Mauerhan
NJpadreFan

2.25/5  rDev -45%

Victory- storm king stout

9.5% alc?! Isn't that a little high?!

Appearance- blacker than black. Midnight in a coal mine black. Hell, the head is darker than most beers alone.
Smell- roasted coffee, nuts, cocoa, and ash.
Taste- Ashy, coffee, sweet burnt wood. Alcohol is too strong.
Mouthfeel- damn that high alcohol what is this cough syrup?!

Overall- blahhh! Its too sweet and alcohol is too strong. A mediocre, at best, stout. I'll pour the rest down the drain!

***revisited*** 4/15/07

HAHA what 3 years will do! Clearly when I was a FNG my tastebuds weren't developed yet. My opinion has since changed immensely. Storm King is now 1 of my favorite Imperial Stouts!!

01-22-2004 22:18:03 | More by NJpadreFan
WhiteOak

Connecticut

2.25/5  rDev -45%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a ruby edge. A dark tan head fades to a persistent ring.

S- Smells of old tennis shoe, wet cardboard, and grapefruit/piney hops. Unfortunately missing is every typical aromatic attribute inherent to the style, and present are the undesired characteristics.

T- Dark over-roasted coffee, charred malt and harsh hops. The finish is bitter without a counterbalance of any kind. The char and bitter hops are all we have here, and that is not what comprises an enjoyable stout, in my opinion.

M, D- Medium bodied and bitter, too dry. Uninspired to finish it, I found it thus limited in drinkability. Lacking in balance, finess, and pleasure.

01-22-2011 22:11:20 | More by WhiteOak
largadeer

2.28/5  rDev -44.3%

Appearance: Black with a quarter-inch chocolate-colored head.

Taste and smell: Malty and roasted, espresso, brown sugar, surprising hop kick in the finish. Pretty acrid and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Not as chewy as other Imperial Stouts; somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this beer, it's rather acrid. I recall it being enjoyable a couple years ago, but I can't say that I like it anymore.

02-14-2007 01:05:08 | More by largadeer
oldfashioned

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

Purchased a six-pack to try a new style. I had sampled a small amount of Great Divide's Yeti in the middle of several other Great Divide offerings, but that's my only other Imperial Stout Experience.

I guess I was expecting something more complex and was disappointed that the 9+% ABV was so obvious. The look of Storm King on pouring was nice and fit my expectations for the style, but it was basically downhill from there. The smell has some bright hops, fruit and roasted malt notes, but the dominant aroma is alcohol. The alcohol is even more dominant in the taste, giving Storm King an unpleasant, astringent bitterness that overshadows the other elements in the brew.

As a result, this is not a very drinkable beer and I will probably steer clear of it and other Victory offerings for a while.

10-12-2009 01:57:07 | More by oldfashioned
AlexanderSelby

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

I'm sorry, but I think this beer smells like poo. The aroma is sweaty and sour and unappealing. With that said, the flavor overwhelms that aspect and somewhat recovers it. Storm King's smokey, belly-warming flavor is pleasant for a few sips, especially considering it's high abv and heavy-handed hopping. The pallet is graced with a few good flavors, such as burnt coffee, smoked meat, but there is a serious soapy off-flavor present which taints the whole experience.

The flavors all seem to fight for top spot on your palate instead of work together to give you a well-rounded experience, which is that is exactly what you need from a robust, boozy imperial stout. I probably will not purchase this beer again unless I'm craving an imperial stout and I'm broke and it's on-sale.

01-09-2011 00:37:51 | More by AlexanderSelby
Strawbs

2.33/5  rDev -43%

My first BA review will be a short one. I love thick full bodied beers. Bell's Exhibition Stout, Paulaner Salvator & Founder's Breakfast Stout come to mind. But this one is just far too bitter too be enjoyed. A want to support my local brewery, but looks like I'll have to stick to Victory's Old Horizontal.

01-18-2010 20:58:31 | More by Strawbs
baddy579

2.35/5  rDev -42.5%

the beer was poured slowly into a glass the head was descent but it seemed to need more thickness.
the smell of the beer was strong and full (for dark beers, if you've tried Guinness extra stout or old rasputin imperial stout, you will already know what a strong smell is)

appearance was very dark and clinched just a bit along with the foam to the glass although it was a thick beer.

the taste was very strong and a bit too strong in a weird way form me almost is if it were too much taste and not enough moth feel. the aftertaste was bitter and not very pleasant. almost if you just smoked a cheap cigar. also, the alcohol wasn't very present for its 9.1.

>overall i would not have this beer again. the taste was weird and most people would agree that more than one of these is too much of this beer. try it! but ironically, don't expect much....quality that is.

02-17-2009 21:52:39 | More by baddy579
Ranbot

2.38/5  rDev -41.8%

Poured into a glass from a 12 oz bottle. Very dark and readily makes a dark thick head. I wasn't paying attention and poured a little too fast and had to let the head settle for a long time - good retention. You can clearly smell the hops and roasted malts. When I got around to drinking it the initial flavor was all hops followed by burnt coffee that lingered long after swallowing. Only a faint hint of the alcohol, but it's not surprising given how overwhelming the hops and burnt coffee is. I wish I could say I tasted something else in this brew, but I really didn't. There's little to no balance in it. It's sort of cross between a DIPA and stout/RIS, but I think fails at both, because the hops are really strong for a stout/RIS, and the malts aren't sweet enough to underpin hops like a good DIPA. Unrepenting hopheads will probably enjoy it, but I could not.

03-17-2009 00:05:51 | More by Ranbot
justintcoons

2.4/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black with a short tan head that quickly fades. I can almost see some red highlights.

N: Fruity Pebbles, root beer, boozy esters, milk chocolate and black coffee.

T: Bakers chocolate, wet toffee and Fruity Pebbles upfront. Mid-palate shows old coffee with sugar, musty book and a faint suggestion of dark fruit. Finish is like eating a block of bitter bakers chocolate compressed with charcoal. Boozy esters linger.

M: Medium-full bodied, creamy, chewy, sticky and dry.

O: Not a very pleasant RIS. Overall tastes of bitter bakers chocolate and stale coffee. Also has a strange mustiness. Booze is apparent.

03-12-2012 00:48:55 | More by justintcoons
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle best by Nov 16 2012, which would mean this is a little less than a year old. Into my snifter

A: Pours an inky black with a dark brown head that recedes fairly quickly to a wispy disk.

S: This smells nothing like the bottle and draft versions i had last winter (earlier vintages). This smells hot, solventy, sweet and a hint of the dreaded burnt tire aroma a la Mikkeller Black. Pretty disgusting, yeah. There's some chocolate but it isn't enough to mask this

T: Starts off with heavily burnt and roasted flavors with a ton of dark chocolate. Some fusels are present which really ruin things. Finish is long, bitter and burnt.

M: Rather full bodied, which is what i was hoping for, and the carbonation is light enough but god, this tastes nasty

D: Nope. Down the drain

Notes: When I did an RIS tasting in March, the 06 vintage finished 2nd or 3rd in a field of 9 commonly available RISs. This bottle would have finished dead last

09-22-2008 03:41:18 | More by DefenCorps
robwestcott

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%

poured cold and pitch black from the bottle to a surly darkness 10oz goblet with a 1/2 finger, super thin and short lasting mocha head.

hmm... relatively unpleasant, medicinal aroma. strange for the style.

bitter and not very good truckstop coffee followed by dark fruits. this ain't looking good.

low carbonation, medium bodied, creamy (?).

drinkable - nope, not for me.

03-14-2011 00:32:12 | More by robwestcott
adammills

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this beer into a brandy snifter at cellar temperature. Very dark brown to black with a large brown head that persists. This beers nose is underwhelming. Some roast, slight burnt coffee, some boozy hints (anise?). Big roast up front of the palate, with some chocolate and what appears to me to be a substantial hop bittering backbone. Some warming alcohol and a touch of anise again. The bitterness lasts well into the finish. This beer leaves me wishing it had a more substantial mouthfeel, more creamy, with a touch more residual sweetness. Perhaps that will come thru with some age as the bittering drops.

01-05-2007 01:55:00 | More by adammills
TrevorGW

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Black body. Typical imperial stout with the paper thin, tan-colored head that leaves a few laces here and there.

Aroma was of pungent bleu cheese. Heavy funk that was very off-putting.

Taste was big on the warm alcohol, with the roast and chocolate holding their own. The bleu funkiness was only mildly detectable on the tongue, but the aroma spoils at the start and finish of each sip.

Chewy mouthfeel, not very creamy.

Probably the 6th or 7th imperial stout that I have tried and unfortunately the worst. It may have been a damaged bottle, but I won't be ordering this again any time soon.

11-05-2008 20:26:08 | More by TrevorGW