Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,567 | Hads: 5,575
2.26/5  rDev -45.1%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends. (429 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -45.1%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a ruby edge. A dark tan head fades to a persistent ring.

S- Smells of old tennis shoe, wet cardboard, and grapefruit/piney hops. Unfortunately missing is every typical aromatic attribute inherent to the style, and present are the undesired characteristics.

T- Dark over-roasted coffee, charred malt and harsh hops. The finish is bitter without a counterbalance of any kind. The char and bitter hops are all we have here, and that is not what comprises an enjoyable stout, in my opinion.

M, D- Medium bodied and bitter, too dry. Uninspired to finish it, I found it thus limited in drinkability. Lacking in balance, finess, and pleasure. (672 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -44.9%

I'm sorry, but I think this beer smells like poo. The aroma is sweaty and sour and unappealing. With that said, the flavor overwhelms that aspect and somewhat recovers it. Storm King's smokey, belly-warming flavor is pleasant for a few sips, especially considering it's high abv and heavy-handed hopping. The pallet is graced with a few good flavors, such as burnt coffee, smoked meat, but there is a serious soapy off-flavor present which taints the whole experience.

The flavors all seem to fight for top spot on your palate instead of work together to give you a well-rounded experience, which is that is exactly what you need from a robust, boozy imperial stout. I probably will not purchase this beer again unless I'm craving an imperial stout and I'm broke and it's on-sale. (781 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -44.4%

This brew pours a black color with light reddish-brown highlights when held up to the light. There is a 1.5 finger mocha head which dissipates fairly quickly although some of it remains on the top until the end; very light lacing.

This brew smell like old socks. There is a light roasted malt smell along with a very faint coffee and nut smell but the old socks smell dominates; perhaps I got a skunked batch.

The taste is as lame as the smell, there is an old socks/musty taste along with some roasted malt and burnt coffee. There is the tiniest bit of chocolate taste in mix. No real discernible hop taste.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy but that does not save the brew.

Overall this might not be bad if not for the horrible smell. I will try this brew again at another time just in case I got a bad/skunked bottle. (824 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -43.9%

Victory- storm king stout

9.5% alc?! Isn't that a little high?!

Appearance- blacker than black. Midnight in a coal mine black. Hell, the head is darker than most beers alone.
Smell- roasted coffee, nuts, cocoa, and ash.
Taste- Ashy, coffee, sweet burnt wood. Alcohol is too strong.
Mouthfeel- damn that high alcohol what is this cough syrup?!

Overall- blahhh! Its too sweet and alcohol is too strong. A mediocre, at best, stout. I'll pour the rest down the drain!

***revisited*** 4/15/07

HAHA what 3 years will do! Clearly when I was a FNG my tastebuds weren't developed yet. My opinion has since changed immensely. Storm King is now 1 of my favorite Imperial Stouts!! (686 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -43.9%

pours darker than used motor oil. has a real nice two finger mocha head. i cant even begin to see through this beer. very faint hints of ruby brown around the edges when i hold it up to direct light.
smell is decent. malts, hops, pretty heavy on the alcohol. i also get scents of prunes.
not really thrilled by the taste. as heavy as the alcohol was on the nose it is ten fold in the taste. it doesn't seem like they are trying to hide the booze taste...at all. after i get the taste of the booze out of my mouth i get slight malts.
i am floored by this beer and not in a great way, i cant get past its flaws to see its good. really sad. i expected ALOT more. especially from the reviews its been getting. hopefully i just got a shitty bottle. but i dont think i will be visiting this beer again any time in the near future...at least not on my dime (851 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -43.4%

Appearance: Black with a quarter-inch chocolate-colored head.

Taste and smell: Malty and roasted, espresso, brown sugar, surprising hop kick in the finish. Pretty acrid and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Not as chewy as other Imperial Stouts; somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this beer, it's rather acrid. I recall it being enjoyable a couple years ago, but I can't say that I like it anymore. (412 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -42.7%

Purchased a six-pack to try a new style. I had sampled a small amount of Great Divide's Yeti in the middle of several other Great Divide offerings, but that's my only other Imperial Stout Experience.

I guess I was expecting something more complex and was disappointed that the 9+% ABV was so obvious. The look of Storm King on pouring was nice and fit my expectations for the style, but it was basically downhill from there. The smell has some bright hops, fruit and roasted malt notes, but the dominant aroma is alcohol. The alcohol is even more dominant in the taste, giving Storm King an unpleasant, astringent bitterness that overshadows the other elements in the brew.

As a result, this is not a very drinkable beer and I will probably steer clear of it and other Victory offerings for a while. (803 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -42%

Cellared a 2013 Storm King for a year and cracked it open today. Bad idea. No head what so ever, no lacing and no hop presence. Maybe I shouldn't fault this beer because I didn't drink it fresh but it was not great at all. The alcohol was very pungent in the nose as it was in the taste. The only thing I enjoyed about this beer was the burnt espresso char that was evident upon the first few sips. This reminded more of a porter was I am splitting hairs there.

Overall I should try it fresh. To give it a fair chance but I can't recommend this to imperial stout fans. (570 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

the beer was poured slowly into a glass the head was descent but it seemed to need more thickness.
the smell of the beer was strong and full (for dark beers, if you've tried Guinness extra stout or old rasputin imperial stout, you will already know what a strong smell is)

appearance was very dark and clinched just a bit along with the foam to the glass although it was a thick beer.

the taste was very strong and a bit too strong in a weird way form me almost is if it were too much taste and not enough moth feel. the aftertaste was bitter and not very pleasant. almost if you just smoked a cheap cigar. also, the alcohol wasn't very present for its 9.1.

>overall i would not have this beer again. the taste was weird and most people would agree that more than one of these is too much of this beer. try it! but ironically, don't expect much....quality that is. (873 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black with a short tan head that quickly fades. I can almost see some red highlights.

N: Fruity Pebbles, root beer, boozy esters, milk chocolate and black coffee.

T: Bakers chocolate, wet toffee and Fruity Pebbles upfront. Mid-palate shows old coffee with sugar, musty book and a faint suggestion of dark fruit. Finish is like eating a block of bitter bakers chocolate compressed with charcoal. Boozy esters linger.

M: Medium-full bodied, creamy, chewy, sticky and dry.

O: Not a very pleasant RIS. Overall tastes of bitter bakers chocolate and stale coffee. Also has a strange mustiness. Booze is apparent. (643 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -41%

Poured into a glass from a 12 oz bottle. Very dark and readily makes a dark thick head. I wasn't paying attention and poured a little too fast and had to let the head settle for a long time - good retention. You can clearly smell the hops and roasted malts. When I got around to drinking it the initial flavor was all hops followed by burnt coffee that lingered long after swallowing. Only a faint hint of the alcohol, but it's not surprising given how overwhelming the hops and burnt coffee is. I wish I could say I tasted something else in this brew, but I really didn't. There's little to no balance in it. It's sort of cross between a DIPA and stout/RIS, but I think fails at both, because the hops are really strong for a stout/RIS, and the malts aren't sweet enough to underpin hops like a good DIPA. Unrepenting hopheads will probably enjoy it, but I could not. (868 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -40.8%

Black body. Typical imperial stout with the paper thin, tan-colored head that leaves a few laces here and there.

Aroma was of pungent bleu cheese. Heavy funk that was very off-putting.

Taste was big on the warm alcohol, with the roast and chocolate holding their own. The bleu funkiness was only mildly detectable on the tongue, but the aroma spoils at the start and finish of each sip.

Chewy mouthfeel, not very creamy.

Probably the 6th or 7th imperial stout that I have tried and unfortunately the worst. It may have been a damaged bottle, but I won't be ordering this again any time soon. (595 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

My first BA review will be a short one. I love thick full bodied beers. Bell's Exhibition Stout, Paulaner Salvator & Founder's Breakfast Stout come to mind. But this one is just far too bitter too be enjoyed. A want to support my local brewery, but looks like I'll have to stick to Victory's Old Horizontal. (307 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -40.3%

poured cold and pitch black from the bottle to a surly darkness 10oz goblet with a 1/2 finger, super thin and short lasting mocha head.

hmm... relatively unpleasant, medicinal aroma. strange for the style.

bitter and not very good truckstop coffee followed by dark fruits. this ain't looking good.

low carbonation, medium bodied, creamy (?).

drinkable - nope, not for me. (375 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle best by Nov 16 2012, which would mean this is a little less than a year old. Into my snifter

A: Pours an inky black with a dark brown head that recedes fairly quickly to a wispy disk.

S: This smells nothing like the bottle and draft versions i had last winter (earlier vintages). This smells hot, solventy, sweet and a hint of the dreaded burnt tire aroma a la Mikkeller Black. Pretty disgusting, yeah. There's some chocolate but it isn't enough to mask this

T: Starts off with heavily burnt and roasted flavors with a ton of dark chocolate. Some fusels are present which really ruin things. Finish is long, bitter and burnt.

M: Rather full bodied, which is what i was hoping for, and the carbonation is light enough but god, this tastes nasty

D: Nope. Down the drain

Notes: When I did an RIS tasting in March, the 06 vintage finished 2nd or 3rd in a field of 9 commonly available RISs. This bottle would have finished dead last (947 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this beer into a brandy snifter at cellar temperature. Very dark brown to black with a large brown head that persists. This beers nose is underwhelming. Some roast, slight burnt coffee, some boozy hints (anise?). Big roast up front of the palate, with some chocolate and what appears to me to be a substantial hop bittering backbone. Some warming alcohol and a touch of anise again. The bitterness lasts well into the finish. This beer leaves me wishing it had a more substantial mouthfeel, more creamy, with a touch more residual sweetness. Perhaps that will come thru with some age as the bittering drops. (616 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

Not a huge fan. Big burnt flavor, like overroasted coffee beans. The measly 9% comes out strong and leads to a very bitter, boozey, even hoppy after taste. (157 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -35.9%

From 12oz to stange: Pours with minimal clarity and a loose, soft two finger mocha head. Nose showcases milk chocolate, cocoa, minimal booze, vanilla extract. Taste is burnt coffee - rough around the edges and a surprising hop bite. The feel is too thin, I wish the burnt coffee wouldn’t linger. Overall, decent for an inexpensive imperial stout but... meh... (361 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -35.9%

I should start by saying that I am a fan of big malty beers and less fond of overhopping.

Sadly, this beer doesn't stay true to the RIS style or I would be giving it a much better review. This is more of a black IPA with a little extra ABV.

It poured into a standard mug nice and dark with about an inch of light brownhead that didnt last too long.

The smell was the first sign that things were going to be odd. Alcohol smell was expected at over 9 percent. The strong hop smell was a little surprising though. It overwhelmed any malts, which should be the main aroma with this type.

The taste matched the smell. Hops first, then alcohol, then the chocolate/coffee taste you would expect from this type, but hidden deep in the background. The flavor did improve as it warmed up, but not enough for me to ever buy it again.

Victory brewing is now 0 for 2 with me (867 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -35%

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: pourd black as night with a tan head

Smell: flowers and coffee

Taste: hops from hell, strong flowery flavor, bitter, like an old pot of coffee, full body

No doubt this is an imperial stout. Way too bitter to drink more than one at a time. Stout continues to be my weakest link. (330 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -35%

Black with cocoa-brown highlights and a very good head for the ABV.

Deep, dark, roasted nose with liberal grassy/grapefruit hops.

Rich and very full, but a bit abrasive on the tongue. Alcohol is definitely noticeable - the flavor is simply not concentrated enough to cover it.

A hearty he-man brew, but too rough for my regular rotation. It's too bad, since I've loved every other Victory beer I've tried. (414 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -34.7%

I sampled this brew on a cold New England evening. Paired it with a dill havarti cheese and artisan crackers. Notes of asphalt, gum base, and chocolate. Immeditely boozy and diacital. Hints of lavender and buckskin leather linger, unwanted. Its mouth feel is puzzling and thick, reminiscent of authentic Italian soda syrups but wrought with an overabundant hop presence. (370 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Pours a thick, frothy milk chocolate colored head that dissipates fairly quickly, with a black body.

The smell is of coffee with rich roasted malty notes, also fairly hoppy.

The flavor starts out with a surprising amount of hops, as in thr nose though it does start to smooth out with some chocolate and roasted malt notes towards the finish and a very light warming finish from the alcohol.

It has a very nice thick full bodied mouthfeel with a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall it is a pleasant beer, but the hops were a bit strong for my liking in a RIS. (593 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -34.7%

It pours very nicely and is an attractive looking beer. The beer is onyx in color and is topped with a chunky, milk chocolate colored head. Lace surrounds the glace when swirled and retains nicely. Although I am not a stout guy myself, I have to admit that it looked very pretty.

The nose was much weaker than I thought it would be. Chocolate and toffee as well as a fair amount of hops were identifiable, but were not powering in any way.

The taste was a crescendo of flavor and grew progressively stronger as it went down. Hops were definitely noticeable as well as a burnt popcorn flavors at the end of each sip. The strong coffee aftertaste is gross to me, which is the reason why I'm a tea drinker.

The mouth feel was clearly thick, which is one characteristic of stouts that deters me from drinking them. Furthermore, I disliked that it was astringent - it made me feel slightly dehydrated.

Admittedly, I didn't finish the beer, which was only delight to my friend. My rating will definitely be skewed due to the fact that I'm not a fan of this style. However, if you're one that likes stouts, this is a very well composed beer and it might be the brew for you. (1,172 characters)

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company