1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Storm King Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Storm King Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,481 | Reviews: 2,471 | Show All Ratings:
LuckySevens82

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Ninjaworm. Thanks so much for this one Oak, I've been waiting for so long to try it.
Pours a deep black, almost crude oil like, but there are definitely some ruby and light brown notes. Head is somewhat small, but that's to be expected, and dense. Lacing and retention are pretty good.
Smell is interesting as it is not what I would normally expect from a Double Stout. The relatively normal aromas of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, and hops are all there. But this is one of the fruitiest stouts I've ever smelled. VERY wine-like. Grapes and rasins are present, as is something else, which I can't remember and can't seem to distinguish right now.
Taste is malty sweet up front, with a definte coffee and chocolate taste. Bitter hops follow. And this all seems to be finished off by a very dry, wine-like finish.
Mouthfeel is darn near perfect. Not too slick or oily. Very well balanced as far as malt/hops are concerned.
Like I said, I've waited a long time to try this beer and I am definitely not disappointed. A fantastic stout, and yet another reason why I curse the fact that Victory is not distributed in Florida.

07-03-2005 00:57:10 | More by LuckySevens82
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer pours a deep dark brown with a small brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Rich chocolate, malt and espresso with a little bit of hops mixed in. Nice blend.

T: Roasted coffee and dark chocolate to start off, then a decent hops bite for the style. It’s an excellent combination of flavors that battle each other for dominance as you drink it. You taste some sweetness and some bitterness, but not an abundance of either.

M: Extremely smooth with medium-to-low carbonation and a medium-to-heavy body. It doesn’t leave a strong after-taste or a sticky film.

D: This beer is as drinkable as you can get. Very smooth and very flavorful. You notice a little bit of the alcohol but it’s almost an after-thought, but I’m sure as you consume a sixer it wouldn’t be an after-thought for long. This is just flat out an excellent beer. Within the style, I liked this even better than the exalted Stone Imperial RS, which is saying a lot because I also liked that beer a great deal.

05-04-2006 03:29:52 | More by TheManiacalOne
PuckLSHS

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

This is one hell of a beautiful beer. I have been holding out on this one for a while, but decided to pick up a single bottle at Hi-Time's yesterday.

Had this one after my Memorial weekend bbq dinner. Poured into a nice room temp pint glass and it poured perfectly the whole way through. Nice dark toasty color with a small 1-finger off-white head.

The smell was full of nice toasty malt and sugar in the chocolate tones.

Taste was nothing less of perfect for this day. Just excellent chocolate, coffee tones. So close to a dessert, I couldn't believe it.

Mouthfeel was smooth and the taste lingered, so every sip was a happy moment.

This beer is incredibly drinkable because it isn't too strong that you can't have a couple, but it is a strong gentle stout that can be enjoyed over a long period of time. This beer is another winner in the Victory line-up.

05-29-2006 17:54:17 | More by PuckLSHS
MVassar

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Thick, rich, opaque black, like a syrup of coffee. Beautiful light milk chocolate head that lasts and lasts.

Rich malt, chocolate milk, espresso, and burnt sugar in the nose, with hints of pine and sweet tobacco.

Right up there with the finest stouts I've ever tasted. Incredibly rich coffee, chocolate, and malt flavors, yet somehow not heavy or overly sweet. Nor is there too much heat from the high levels of alcohol. Touch of bitter hops in the finish keep it honest. (I keep saying "Wow" to myself with every sip.)

Rich, thick, and creamy in the mouth, with the right amount of carbonation and citrus to keep things balanced.

The kind of beer that makes me want to move to a cold climate so I could drink it day and night. Whoa.

12-04-2006 22:13:22 | More by MVassar
jameaterblues

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Date marked says Expiration September 2011.
A- Black, very black with a 1/2 finger of head the color of creme from an espresso, little to no lace.
S- Thick strong coffee with hints of chocolate....roasted toasted malts that feel slightly burnt. Slight but crisp and assertive spicy resiny hops. Really an amazing scent.
T- Roasted chocolate , and thick dark coffee....as thick as a really fine espresso. Resiny american hops help to lighten the beer....they really have a dank plant like feel and this is a difficult thing to do for a stout. The hops pick up in the middle of the body and carry on throughout the finish.
M/D- Tick and heavy, but the american hops bring a unique side to this stout that I have not found in any other...the hops actually make this really dense alcoholic stout lighter and extremely drinkable. I have heard recent debate about this being some sort of an imperial brown ale, but I really feel that this is one of the finest stouts around,and coming from an east coast brewery too(this was a recent discussion on the BA message board). Victory doesn't let me down and I am glad to have 9 more bottles of this on hand right now.

05-30-2007 01:59:40 | More by jameaterblues
Hampton73

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours dark dark with a nice tan head that fades to a bubbly ring.

The aroma is really amazing combination of dark malts and american hops. I like it.

The mouthfeel is appropriatley thick, but the hops cut through and make it way to drinkable for a 9% beer. The flavor is a great combination of malt and hops. The dark coffee and toffee flavors roll into the hops and it is just too good.

This is a very good imperial stout.

06-03-2007 00:51:52 | More by Hampton73
RockyTopHeel

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Tasted at Jerry's on Division.

Finally, a chance at a legend...

This one poured a dark, dark brown - almost black - with a thin, cocoa-colored head. It's cold, too cold for a proper tasting - but I can't help but dive right in. Patience has never been a virtue of mine.

The cold, biting brew conjures images of being plunged into a glacial ice crevasse -- the palace of the Storm King. It's slick, with strong bitter chocolate and earthy charcoal. It may be the temperature (and the astringency), but this is the "cleanest" tasting stout I've ever had. It's like a dark, bitter blizzard -- but I'm hooked.

Next time, I'll have to wait for it to warm up and really get to see what is going on here...

10-23-2007 14:31:56 | More by RockyTopHeel
jkdrummer

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

WoW! A fellow BA turned me on to this wonderful wonderful stout. I've had the Abyss and was impressed, but with the rarity of it and the cost, Storm King is just as amazing if not smoother then the huge Abyss.

Pours jet black. Nice brown head that fades to a wonderful lace. Some hops are actually detectable in this complex flavor of chocolate roasted malt and with very little bitterness at all.

Highly recommended and a steal at around $2.50/$3.00 bottle!

03-07-2008 23:00:10 | More by jkdrummer
bobtopich

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I appreciate the dedication of those that can write such detailed reviews. I will apologize up front for not going in that direction. I am simply going to say that right now, Storm King is my favorite beer.

Since the summer, I have been sampling a variety of stouts and porters. Had the pleasure of hitting up Deschutes in Portland this summer and enjoyed their Black Butte Porter and their Nitro Obsidian Stout. Can't find them here in Pittsburgh or I'm sure I'd enjoy more of them.

Some others have been Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout, Bell's Expedition Stout, Kona Pipeline Porter, Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Sam Adams Maple Pecan Porter, and more.

Storm King just tastes right for me. I'm not sure about all of the malts and hops and whathaveyous but it's just tasty. I love to pour it into a snifter and let it warm naturally. It has a great aroma and is very heavy and full-bodied. Like Lays chips, there are times that I can enjoy just one. Tomorrow watching the Final Four will not be one of those evenings!

Bell's Expedition is equal...the difference in price will keep me coming back to Storm King. If you haven't tried it I will tell you to try a six pack and hopefully enjoy it as I do. Thanks for reading...

04-05-2013 18:08:58 | More by bobtopich
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.84/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout has a medium, creamy, heavy-bodied, beige head and a very dark brown appearance. The aroma is astringent, harsh, dark-roasted, chocolate, and coffee- wonderful! Taste is of the same, with black cherries, a ghost of licorice, and black bread crust- awesome! Mouthfeel is heavy and thick, and Storm King finishes powdery, sweet, and dense. Overall, this is an epic beer. Just so wonderful! I beg you to get it.

RJT

04-30-2013 15:05:34 | More by RonaldTheriot
xXTequila

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I think this is the biggest stout (taste wise) that I have everhad. It pours pitch black with a deep tobacco leaf aroma and a big nougat colored head that goes away somewhat quickly.
Semi-sweet chocolate, coffee liquor, and rum raisin flavours that leaves your mouth alittle sticky after you drink.
Very warming with a abv of 9.1
This is a great stout to either start or end a cold winter night with.

04-08-2002 06:36:36 | More by xXTequila
ElGuapo

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

my most anticipated beer yet, and it was well worth the wait. i have been waiting to get it in the store i work in for quite some time now, and now that we did, i can enjoy it at leisure. pours dark with a foamy brown head. the aroma has a strange hoppy hint, but not much coffee smell.

at 9.1% you don't taste all that much alcohol. just a roasted coffee flavor that just tickles all your taste buds. smooth all the way down with a little bitter finish. This is an in your face stout to start with. Dark and roasty malts and coffe are all over you as you are engulfed in this brew. Then... you get hit with a mass of hops that gives the hoppiest stouts a run for their money. This is one of the best brews out there without a doubt in my mind. man oh man this is one beer you should not miss trying.

10-27-2002 16:32:21 | More by ElGuapo
aaronh

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottled 9-26-02. An essentially black beer with dark ruby edges that pours with a light coffee colored head. The head is modest and fades quickly, leaving a slight lace. The nose is very sweet and fruity. The mouthfeel is heavenly. Very silky, it just coats your tongue and feels like it slides down so easily. The taste is very complex, with roastiness up front, followed by a little sweetness and bitter mocha-coffee notes. The aftertaste brings dark chocolate covered cherries to mind. The balance of roasted bitterness and malty/fruity sweetness is amazing. Although this is a big beer, the alcohol is primarily noticable as it warms the esophagus. I could enjoy these all night long, simply because of the seemingly endless flavors this beer throws at me. I honestly did not expect this much pleasure from such a young beer. Where has this beer been all my life? Thanks to Nero for hooking me up with this beer.

11-08-2002 20:41:32 | More by aaronh
jackndan

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Storm King Stout: Bottled on October 15, 2002. Dense head, ocher colored, long lasting. The head leaves a thick lace on the side of the glass. The aroma is very nice, dark chocolate and fruits. This Imperial is as dark as night, no light penetrates this beer, even when held up to a strong light. Wow, this is fantastic beer, with a wonderful roasted malt taste, that is nicely balanced with hops. Double mocha espresso, with a long lasting aftertaste. Substantial alcohol warmth. I'll have to age a couple of bottles. This is truly a wonderful beer.

11-10-2002 14:14:23 | More by jackndan
AaronRed

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

This is one truley amazing and unforgetable beer. I did not expect it to be this good. It poured jet black with a creamy tan head- laces all the way down the glass. Wonderful presence of aromas- chocolate, coffee and even sweet plumbs. The taste was great- strong bitterness chocolate and dark roasted malty tones. Vigorous and strong, the flavor never faded. Silky and smooth, yet powerful, this brew is among the best beer I have ever tasted.

11-26-2002 18:26:15 | More by AaronRed
rabidawg

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Experiencing this beer (and knowing that I can get more tomorrow) is one of the great advantages of moving from Georgia to Connecticut. Wonderfully hoppy imperial stout. The color appears to be jet black, but with a mag-lite behind it a gorgeous ruby shines through. The head is thick, creamy, and coffee-colored. I was truly blown away by the nose of this brew . . . very floral, with a malty backdrop. The flavor is roasty, with a lingering and beautiful hoppy bitterness. The high ABV is barely noticeable, masked by the balance of the brew's flavor assault.

Worth moving 1200 miles to enjoy on a regular basis.

02-03-2003 20:26:43 | More by rabidawg
Lordsoth

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours like the black of night, not even the sun can get through. It has a strong cappicino smell. The taste is that of chocolate, coffee, and slight hints of nuts and fruits. Smooth and creamy to the mouth. I have not had a better drink. The flavor is robust. So much that I've changed the way I feel about other stouts I've tried. By far the most flavorful and life changing stout I've had.

05-11-2003 12:20:45 | More by Lordsoth
99bottles

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Wonderful beer. I am glad I finally tried it. i am KICKING MYSELF IN THE *** that I passed up the oppurtunity to have it on cask at KCLingers. Mmmm. Cask. Anyways, the beer is deserving of its stature, and my opinions of it are as follows. Storm King pours a black brown body topped with a head of tawny brune, inch thick that settles within a few minutes to a thin lace. The King, he smells like a beast. Heavy bitterness ensues, the hops gnash their bite at you, the thick sweetymalt longs to run and settle. The taste of this beer is something special. My initial notes read 'Stout on Drugs. Doesn't give a second. Heaves flavor full-bore- hops, malts, unspeakable smoothness'. That's what I felt at that point. Now, I just long to to taste it once more. It's full, but not heavy. It's complex and myriad. If a person was blessed enough to drink one every day, they still couldn't explain it in a year. It's something to be had, and admired, and never taken in the wrong way. It is so wonderful, I adivse not buying a lage quantity to age. They'll never make it.

Update-- I went back and tried this on cask at KClinger's. Even smoother, with more pronounced malt sweetness. Good for them for putting another out there. Absolutely divine.

01-15-2004 05:22:03 | More by 99bottles
mntlover

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Black midnight black brew with a nice dark brown head that lasts and leaves light lacing. Aroma is black and creamy roasted malts coffee aromas, caramel, fruity aroma with citrusy hops.Taste is so sweet and smooth roasted malt, coffee, caramel with light chocolate flavors so smooth and creamy leading to fruity flavors nice hop taste and a good bite of bitterness that stays with you. This beer is so wonderful nice rich creamy and goes down so smooth very drinkable warms the soul no alcohol presence detected its hard to believe its 9%. This is one beer that lives up to the hype it is wonderful run out and get some wish I had gotten some more there is always next time!

09-10-2004 15:53:05 | More by mntlover
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

When I first started perusing BA a year or so ago, this legendary beer was #1 by far and remained there for quite a bit of time if I remember correctly. Over this period of time I’ve been able to sample and greatly appreciate some amazing Imperial Stouts. Now I tackle the legend I have anticipated trying for such a long time.

This beer was bottled 10/20/04 and is being sampled 01/07/05.

As soon as I pop the top my nose is greeted by deep, ripe berry esters. The beer looks viscous as I pour it into my goblet, seeming almost reluctant to leave its bottle. A large foamy head the color of creamed-coffee rises rapidly and seems to retain rather well for a beer of this girth leaving a lace-like sheet on it’s way down. The body…blacker than the night time sky in bed-sty in july; blacker than the seed in the blackberry pie, blacker than the middle of my eye. This beer eclipses even direct light’s feeble attempts to penetrate its depths. Upon further inspection the nose reveals a flambé dish made of plums, ripe cherries and fire-consumed rum; deeply charred malt, dark roast coffee and juicy ripe blackberries. The taste is a perfect reflection of the beautiful nose. Storm King introduces itself to my palate by squeezing a handful of ripe juicy blackberries across my tongue and then soaks it up with a blasting combination of hop bitterness and deep charred roastiness. The bitter and charred flavors are awesome and roll over some other complexities of flavor (ripe apples, plum skin, toffee) and coagulate into a resinous, coating pine-sap in the finish. Very small hints of rum like alcohol flavors in the finish, but I consider it very well masked for the large ABV contained in this beer. Warmth instantly rides down my throat and pools slowly in my belly from the first drink. The mouthfeel is robust; creamy and almost a little oily at time…still falls short of the thickest Imperial Stout I’ve had to date but it’s no sucker in this category either. An amazing beer that is a great example of one of my favorite styles. You can really take your time with this one, making it a perfect beer for a night where you’re only having one. I’m so glad I have more of these!

01-08-2005 02:47:17 | More by FormatKid
orfeu

New Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottled on Nov 18 05. Opaque black. Creamy beige lather, about 1/4". Absolutely stellar lacing for the style -- hop overload, apparently! Floral, piney hops sting the nostrils right away. There is a roasty chocolate and coffee scent down there somewhere, too, but I think it's drowning in hop oil. Brazen hoppiness dominates the flavor throughout and throttles a newborn roasted espresso malt bill, leaving it twitching in death throes on the sticky floor. Assertive alcohol notes. Spicy with so much hoppiness. Prickly carbonation and hop spiciness cover over what I'm certain with time will become a beautifully slick and oily mouthfeel. RIS purists may find the ridiculous amount of hops in this beer to be sacrilege. I freakin' love it. But what do I know? I'm in love with hops. Hands down, my favorite Russian Imperial Stout.

01-16-2006 06:40:53 | More by orfeu
BillyB

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours an impenetrable dark brown to near black. Nice one finger tan head.

Aroma is a huge malty sweetness surprisingly balanced with awesome big hop bitterness. The biggest and most balanced stout I've ever tasted. Tastes of deep roasty malts, slight dark fruit,and faint citrusy/ piney hops.

Alcohol warmth and bite are noticeable yet soothing. Full bodied,oily and surprisingly carbonic with a slightly dry finish.
Very rich and fulfilling.
Just an amazing beer!

02-25-2006 21:08:43 | More by BillyB
gatorbreath

Fiji

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

This is probably one of the best stouts I have gotten my hands on.

App: Opaque black/dark brown w/ mocha colored head that coats your glass.

Smell: Smells hoppy not too nutty/chocolaty, etc.

T/MF: Buttery smooth like drinkin Mrs. Butterworths. Coats your mouth with some thick goodness of nutty/malty/chocolaty syrup. I love it.

D: This could be drunk a lot, 4/5 of a growler will have you feeling Irie. Hand your keys to someone when you start imbibing.

Def. one of the most Chronic offerings I've ever had.

Everyone try it

Serving type: growler

02-20-2010 02:09:49 | More by gatorbreath
allboutbierge

Austria

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

Drank out of a storm king glass. An awesome winter warmer. Thick and heavy yet drinkable. First sip reminded me of SN's stout in respect that it has that touch of crisp hopiness. Color was that of my 30W oil and head was medium with a brownish hue. Taste was that of a heavy and dark coffee/chocolate with a crisp hopiness in the background. This beer is calorie and flavor packed. A recommendation.

01-13-2003 17:49:53 | More by allboutbierge
Boto

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours an almost inky color. It has a small head that is light brown in color. It dissapates quickly. A bit of caramel and coffee to the nose. Very full body to the beer, almost "thick". Somewhat roasty, not as much as some others. A hint of sweetness, chocolate and a good hop bite. The alchohol is not evident at all. This is excellent!

05-23-2003 13:29:21 | More by Boto